• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The High School Sports Team Nickname Thread

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Being a fella that wanders in the field of "Amish Sim City", making up my own fake maps, I also draw in the schools, school districts, etc.

For the nearly forty (40) years that I have been drawing De Noc and all of its' suburbs I have drawn in plenty of high schools.

Being a "list person" I compiled info about each school, including their sports team nickname. I actually involved my family as I developed names for all of the schools. However, the choices they made (and mine, too) were somewhat "old school"......Bears, Bobcats, Tigers, Wildcats, Lions, etc.

This goes against the grain in the "location" of my city.....the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Check these REAL names
out for UP schools:

Gwinn Model Towners (Gwinn is home to a former Air Force Base.....filled with homes that all look the same.)

Ishpeming Hematites (Hematite is a type of ore?)

Cedarville Snows (Many, many islands in northern Lake Huron are here and the islands are called "The Snows")

Kingsford Flivvers (What is a flivver?) (two v's not a w)
____

My high school? The Panthers, another common name.

Any other unusual names out there?

Bear

el Guapo

Capitalist
Killeen, Texas Kangaroos

Leavenworth, Kansas Pioneers

Wichita State University is the Shockers - That is from shocks of wheat not electicians. What is a shock of wheat you ask?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
The Rhinelander Hodags

According to their website:

What is a Hodag? It's a fierce, strange and frightening monster with sharp claws and sharp horns on his back. As the legend goes, he appeared in Rhinelander in 1896 and scared a lumberjack. A photo documenting this horrifying experience later was proven to be a hoax. However, today the Hodag remains an important symbol in Rhinelander - there's Hodag Park and the high school athletic teams are called the "Hodags." You can see the famous Hodag at the Logging Museum and the Riverwalk.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
My real HS mascot: Kettle Moraine Lazers (wtf?)

Dan's favorite: Butte (Montana) Pirates

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Mine was the Un-PC and uninspiring "Arrowhead Warhawks" complete with the Indian logo. We were members of the Braveland Conference, also with an Indian logo.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
My high schools had pretty conventional names:

Benedictine Ravens (where I went for 2 1/2 years)
Muncie North Titans (where I graduated)

A quick look at the school nicknames list on the Illinois High School Association web page found these winners:

Cobden Appleknockers
DeKalb Barbs (DeKalb was where barb wire was invented)
Fisher Bunnies
Freeport Pretzels
Genoa Cogs
Hampshire Whip-Purs (?)
Hoopeston Cornjerkers
Polo Marcos
Teutopolis Wooden Shoes

Pekin HS in Pekin, IL changed its nickname last year. The town of Pekin was so named because it supposedly was opposite Peking, China on the globe (not true). Until this year, they had a completely unenlightened nickname -- the Pekin Chinks. They're now the Dragons.

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, if you mean "unofficial" names, my high school was known as the "Snider Snobs" ("Panthers in reality) :)

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I was a Cape Elizabeth "Caper." Pretty stupid team name because it means nothing. I guess it's just like the Philadelphia Phillies.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Well, if you mean "unofficial" names, my high school was known as the "Snider Snobs" ("Panthers in reality) :)
OMG -- Fort Wayne Snider? I went to Muncie North.

And you guys were snobs.

H

Cyburbian
Goooooooo Riverwood Raiders!!!

(in Alt. Ga)

I really did not have ant spirit, so that is / was sarcastic :)

Oh, but our mascot was Yosemite Sam so that was cool ;)

Last edited:

BKM

Cyburbian
O/T High School Misery Statement

OMG -- Fort Wayne Snider? I went to Muncie North.
THEY were snobs. I was a working class, bookish, completely unathletic nerd (still am :) ) I still remember the daughter of the mayor's personal attorney sneering at me "You would be more socially acceptable if you dressed better."

I hated high school. And, I still don't dress very fancy :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Here's a WTF for all of you... our mascot(s) were the Knights. (Full name: Sherman Oaks Center for Enriched Studies Knights). The girls team: the Lady Knights. What the hell is a "lady knight"?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Arkansas has some doozies:

Fordyce Redbugs
Conway Wampus Cats
Harrison Golden Goblins
Hermatige Hermits
Dardanelle Sand Lizards

I was a Central Lancer...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nemesis said:
Orchard Park Quakers
The Buffalo area is the capital of strange high school sports team names.

Take my high school, for instance. The Hutchinson-Central Technical High School Engineers.

What else is out there? Grover Cleveland Presidents, South Park Sparks, City Honors Aces, and -- hehehe -- the Lafayette Violets.

pete-rock said:
A quick look at the school nicknames list on the Illinois High School Association web page found these winners:
You forgot the Effingham Flaming Hearts. I wonder how they would do against the Lewisville Fighting Farmers or the Yuma Criminals.

Nothing, though, is as bad as the mascot of one high school in Idaho. As Chet commands, let's give a big cheer for the ...

Arrrrrrrr!

Otis

Cyburbian
In Oregon:
The Tillamook Cheesemakers (Tillamook is famous for its cheese)
Toledo Boomers

My high school in Virginia:
The Annandale Atoms (it was built in about 1954 when everything atomic was good except for the commie pinko atoms)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
Check these REAL names
out for UP schools:

Gwinn Model Towners (Gwinn is home to a former Air Force Base.....filled with homes that all look the same.)

Ishpeming Hematites (Hematite is a type of ore?)

Cedarville Snows (Many, many islands in northern Lake Huron are here and the islands are called "The Snows")

Kingsford Flivvers (What is a flivver?) (two v's not a w)
____

My high school? The Panthers, another common name.

Any other unusual names out there?

Bear
I grew up in Escanaba MI, (Eskymos) I am guessing that you are from upper michigan, or you have done alot of research... I am impressed.

Otis

Cyburbian
In some southern state I ran into the Henryetta Hens. The JV team was the Chicks.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I started out as a Main North Norseman. I always wondered why it was not insulting to people of Scandanavian heritage to call a team "norsemen" or "vikings," but is considered by some to use a term like "wariors" or "braves." (Of course, I do understand the feeling toward names like "redskins.")

tsc

Cyburbian
Ok,, they changed mine the year I graduated.. but when I was attending our nickname was the Ithaca Little Red... but the kicked is that our mascot was a skunk with a red baseball cap... they have since switched it to a bear.. (Cornell University is in Ithaca.. and Cornell is the Big Red... and a bear.. no native american connotation)

donk

Cyburbian
My high school was the bears. The not too nice nickname of my school was over dose SS. We had 1 when I was there plus a dosing of a teacher with acid.

My university was the lancers and the lady lancers.

Where I live now

The Tommies and Lady Tommies after St. Thomas university that moved in the 1960's.

The other HS's is the Pulamoo.

This was so bad I had to share it. A pulamoo is some type of fish.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
donk said:
This was so bad I had to share it. A pulamoo is some type of fish.
You're right. That is awful. Is it some kind of sword fish? Does it have legs? Maybe they should use the three-eyed fish from The Simpsons instead.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Here's a WTF for all of you... our mascot(s) were the Knights. (Full name: Sherman Oaks Center for Enriched Studies Knights). The girls team: the Lady Knights. What the hell is a "lady knight"?

The corect term would be "shield Maiden". Not sure what the actual germanic reference name is, but close enough in the translation. They had no prohibition against warrior women, and was even encouraged. :)

Valkaryie's

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Cairo HS in far southern Illinois (and that's pronounced KAY-row) has the Pilots. Fine enough. But their girls' teams are called the Co-Pilots.

In highschool I was a Cato-Meridian Blue Devil. However, the favorite Anti-Cato chant from the rival school would be some jackass that would stand in front of his own side's bleachers and everyone would yell "CULTURE", then he'd point to our side and everyone would yell "AGRICULTURE".

Nerudite - you made me laugh. Geneseo had "Lady Knights" and my non-greek sorority was RLK - the Royal Lady Knights. We went through a streak where we had a lot of "bigger girls" in the group, and the joke among the frat boys was that RLK was for Really Large Knockers.

seannelson

school names

In college, I played for the Bethany College Swedes. We played against Southwestern Moundbuilders, Bethel Threshers.

biscuit

Cyburbian
In SC there was the Pickens Blue Flame and the Easley Green Wave.

At one time there was talk that my country school, the Tamassee(pronounced Ta-ma-see)-Salem Golden Eagles, was going to consolidate with the much larger Walhalla Razorbacks. Asked to come up with a new name and mascot for the proposed school we recomended the Walamassee War 'Possums. Yeeeeee Ha! Classy Huh?