• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The hopelessly out of date pop-culture movie reference thread

AG74683

Cyburbian
No dude, I won't meet you at 5:00 tomorrow at some convenience store to meet about "future events".

In what world does anyone agree to something like this?

Moderator note:

Maister: okay, I'm pretty sure you didn't intend a thread of this nature, but since when has that ever stopped me from splitting something from RTDNTOTO

DVD

Cyburbian
No dude, I won't meet you at 5:00 tomorrow at some convenience store to meet about "future events".

Something strange if afoot at the Circle K.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Last night I was grilling some skirt steak and RT and my friend were hanging out in the backyard with me. RT says, "Uh mom, look at the fence post." I look and the biggest raccoon I've seen in a long while was perched on it several feet away from her. I told her to slowly get up and move over to the deck. I thought it would go away but then it started creeping towards me along the top of the fence. Thank god the skirt steak was almost done because I snatched it and the tortillas off the grill and went up the deck stairs and into the house. My husband saw it this time and said, "Man that fucker is huge!" Thanks Captain Obvious.
skirt steak... I discovered skirt steak when I worked in a grocery store meat department while in college. We use to grind it for in-store hamburger. An elderly Hispanic lady asked if we had it and took all we had for the same price as hamburger. I asked what she did with it; she was surprised i didn't know and a couple hours later she brought me some wrapped in a homemade tortilla. It was awesome, I should have asked her to marry me.:p Now, I can only find it at Hispanic meat markets. I'd fight a racoon for it.

And what's up with woman on tinder or POF showing pictures of them shooting guns, with guns, or pictures of their guns? Nothing against gun ownership, but like, that shit scares the jesus out of me. Ummm.. swipe left bro..
tinder? POF? I guess you are talking about dating websites or apps... I am not saying that there's anything wrong with using technology to meet someone but when I was single and it's only been about 15 years ago we just went to bars and met people there;). To me, meeting someone at a loud, dark bar is like opening an unlabeled can of something. You don't have the benefit of a list of ingredients, fda warning, or nutrition information. But I guess you can choose what to share on the dating website just as easy as someone can tell you what they think you might want to hear. I guess in the end is no difference and the reality is I would rather I have the option of passing someone up because they have pictures of themselves with a gun (or whatever relationship ender that exist) than to be two dates in to the the budding romance and they whip out a uzi and I question whether I am on a date or in a hostage situation.:-c

you would be disappointed if it was Martin Seamus "Marty" McFly

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Indeed. That was the first movie I saw without a parent. Excellent!
That movie was most triumphant.

I was debating the other day if Junior - at 10 years of age - was old enough to watch or appreciate it. My guess would be respectively yes and no.
I watched Back to the Future with him maybe 6 months ago and found he got bored after 45 minutes. Guess he didn't understand the whole 1950's as viewed through the 1980's paradigm thing, which is perhaps not surprising considering he wasn't around to experience either of those decades.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member

I was debating the other day if Junior - at 10 years of age - was old enough to watch or appreciate it. My guess would be respectively yes and no.
I watched Back to the Future with him maybe 6 months ago and found he got bored after 45 minutes. Guess he didn't understand the whole 1950's as viewed through the 1980's paradigm thing, which is perhaps not surprising considering he wasn't around to experience either of those decades.
Well, to date myself, I was 11 when it came out and I went with my friend.

It worked for me at 11, so give him the opportunity. There may be some references that he'll miss, regardless, like the philosophical discussion with Socrates in ancient Athens about 'dust in the wind' and 'every rose has a thorn'.

:D

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member

Does Netflix have it? How would you go about watching it? We don't have video stores anymore.... hmmm, I guess buy it from Amazon? I want to watch it now.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Indeed. That was the first movie I saw without a parent. Excellent!
I was 10 when it came out and it might be the last movie I saw in a theatre with my dad - We were in Florida on vacation so we all (mom, dad, sister, me, even grandma and my great aunt and her granddaughter) went to go see it one rainy afternoon. In fact, that's one of only two movies I can recall seeing at the theatre with my dad (the other was Song of the South during some re-release in the early 1980s). He was never really one for going to movies, although now he and my mom go to the movies every few months. Hmmm... maybe he just didn't like going to the movies with me?

Our bowling team was named "Wild Stallions" a few seasons ago and we used Bill S. Preston, Esq, Ted "Theodore" Logan, Rufus, and Missy as our bowler names.

Does Netflix have it? How would you go about watching it? We don't have video stores anymore.... hmmm, I guess buy it from Amazon? I want to watch it now.
Local library? We get videos from ours all the time and between our library and the library in the neighboring city they have a full selection of the 1980s and 1990s movies I loved.

edit: I just checked - it is streaming on NetFlix. Should I start watching it here at my desk?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Dittos for go to the library.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
not to sound cliche but I feel old watching you folks discuss Back to the Future as I was in college and turning 21 when it came out...

now get off my lawn youze kidz...

[insert smilie of an old person shakin a fist here]

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians

Some things it doesn't matter. Shane-boy is 12 and has seen it and loved it. Plus, you want to be able to make "Bif" jokes and "Flux Capacitor" jokes with your kids. A poorly experienced pop culture child is no fun to have around when they're a teenager, Maister....and a teenager who is not fun, is just a pain in the ass. I'm telling you this because I care. :)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
not to sound cliche but I feel old watching you folks discuss Back to the Future as I was in college and turning 21 when it came out...

now get off my lawn youze kidz...

[insert smilie of an old person shakin a fist here]
Not BttF, but Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure from...1989. :p

ursus

I just checked - it is streaming on NetFlix. Should I start watching it here at my desk?
If you're able to stream at your desk then YES, I think you have an obligation to watch it on all our behalf. Also, please leer just a little at Lea Thompson for me.

While we're discussing it, I do feel that kids should also see other "important" movies from the past so they can relate. What person should grow up in the world not having seen the Karate Kid (the original)? How can they hope to understand the Gen Xers that will be their first bosses if they don't know these movies???

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I'm not sure if you'll be either surprised, appalled or both, but I have the movie......on VHS!

DVD

Cyburbian
Well, to date myself, I was 11 when it came out and I went with my friend.

It worked for me at 11, so give him the opportunity. There may be some references that he'll miss, regardless, like the philosophical discussion with Socrates in ancient Athens about 'dust in the wind' and 'every rose has it's thorn'.

:D
I loved the movie. I've even been to the Circle K which is out in Mesa and the mall which is the Metrocenter in Phoenix. The skating rink is long gone, but I remember the piano store (also gone).

Some things it doesn't matter. Shane-boy is 12 and has seen it and loved it. Plus, you want to be able to make "Bif" jokes and "Flux Capacitor" jokes with your kids. A poorly experienced pop culture child is no fun to have around when they're a teenager, Maister....and a teenager who is not fun, is just a pain in the ass. I'm telling you this because I care. :)
True, kids need some culture. I've already taught mine the Time Warp and to appreciate Monty Python. They particularly like the Lumberjack, Spam, Fish Slapping, and How to Confuse A Cat. I can't get them into the Spanish Inquisition. I don't think the kids would care much for either Bill & Ted or Back to the Future. Just not their thing. Yet...They're only 9 and 6. Although we do use the piggy wiggy line on them sometimes.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Recently I had my 10 yo son watch The Blues Brothers - so many references to this movie happen around our house so now he knows the secret codes

Next up for him to understand his parent's code talk is Patton (Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!)

When my kids go into sophomore year in high school, we watch The Breakfast Club together

ursus

When you say "You're KILLING me, Smalls!" to somebody and they look at you blankly, don't you just immediately write that person off as a weiner? I know I do. I talk to them as little as possible the rest of my life.....

^ ^ ^

The Breakfast Club is a sort of rite of passage. Good addition. I did not realize the magnificent bastard line comes from Patton. Never realized it. You've made me a better person today. Be proud.

DVD

Cyburbian
My office is hopelessly out of culture. I was talking to someone about the misbehavior of our commissioners, specifically bad language, and mentioned we needed the penguin from Blues Brothers. I got a blank look.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Moderator note:

Maister: okay, I'm pretty sure you didn't intend a thread of this nature, but since when has that ever stopped me from splitting something from RTDNTOTO
I've got a bad feeling about this.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
That's pretty big talk from a one eyed fat man.

Rygor

Cyburbian
I can't wait to expose my little one to all our favorite movies once she gets a bit older and can actually remember and understand them. I think one of the first will be The Princess Bride. So many great lines from that movie.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't wait to expose my little one to all our favorite movies once she gets a bit older and can actually remember and understand them. I think one of the first will be The Princess Bride. So many great lines from that movie.
Yes, The Princess Bride! My son has not seen that yet but the girls have

"I'd rather eat lint!"

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
A repo man spends his life getting into tense situations.

Never broke into a car, never hotwired a car. Never broke into a truck. "I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let the personal contents thereof come to harm." It's what I call the Repo Code, kid.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Dave? Dave's not here man.
I'm Sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Luke... I am your father. (although this is not correctly quoted...)
The correct quote is:
Darth Vader: Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke Skywalker: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!
Darth Vader: No. I am your father.
Luke Skywalker: No... that's not true! That's impossible!

"Is this Clarice? Well, hello Clarice..."

"Gooooooood Morning Vietnam!"

otterpop

Cyburbian
"That rug really tied the room together."

OR

"You can't serve papers on a rat, baby sister. You gotta kill him or let him be."

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
this is my next flick to watch with my son

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

wahday

Cyburbian
“Hey, nice hat – what, do you get a free bowl of soup with that? Heh- looks good on you, though…”

“I’m a zit – get it?!”

“Excuse me, I was wondering if I could borrow your towel. My car just hit a water buffalo”

"What do you make of this newspaper?
Well, I could make a hat, or a broach, or a pteradactyl!"