• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The horror has arrived...

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
The horror.

Starbucks opens first store in Chile, second in Latin America.
I have heard that their location is quite good, at least to take advantage of the Chilean yuppies that work in what we've nicknamed 'Sanhattan' (a blend of Santiago and Manhattan of course), which is the main buisness center here.

I can't believe they put the first starbucks in Lat. Am. in Peru... now the second in Chile... (I mean come on... it's way more safer to invest here than in Peru)

Quoting from a japanese (engrish) game: "Yuo invaders! Get you the hot bullets of shotgun to die!" :p

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Would it be even safer if there was a
Dunkin' Donuts or Tim Horton's?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Dunkin' Donuts is already here, and I think they have at least 2 stores.. one at the airport in Santiago and another smaller one in a mall (also in Santiago)... yum dunkin' donuts...
*SkeLeton drools :)

Here's a little map of the location of Starbucks.. near the subway (those red rombos with an M)

H

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
'Sanhattan' (a blend of Santiago and Manhattan of course), which is the main buisness center here.
That is what is called “Manhattanization” and for better or worse this is a common world trend of central cities.

I can't believe they put the first starbucks in Lat. Am. in Peru... now the second in Chile... (I mean come on... it's way more safer to invest here than in Peru)
There are actually more American business travelers and tourist (for Cuzco and Machu Picchu) going to Peru so it makes sense. I bet it is in the Miraflores district by the open air Larco Mar shopping center right next to the Tony Roma’s. There are quite a bit of American chain restaurants and hotels in the area.

And may I recommend the iced Venti Americano with room for cream and sugar (use the raw sugar). :)

Last edited:

JNL

Cyburbian
A little something for you, SkeL

... your own Starbucks card! :-D

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We had the first one open in the next town over (NOT like the town next door) about a year ago. Never been. When I'm in the field, I stop at the 7-11 for a Diet Dew. Remember, in FL, you'd be nuts to drink coffee for about 90% of the year. It could give you heat stroke.

H

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Remember, in FL, you'd be nuts to drink coffee for about 90% of the year. It could give you heat stroke.
That is why they make iced coffee. :)

I have a cup almost everday (not always from Starbucks).

jordanb

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Still no Starsux in Toledo!
Are you serious? I can't believe there's any major city in America without a starbucks. Lincoln Ave in Chicago is just one long corridor of Starbucks.

steveanne

I think they have little mini-Starbucks inside of Starbucks now.

Seriously though, my cafeteria has a Starbucks now. Only open to folks 7AM to 1:30PM, but it's there... Staring at me... Laughing.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I have 1/10 scale Starbucks in my kitchen and I have never felt better about myself. I do wish Starbucks would open one in my office, garage and on my back deck. The kitchen is just to far away at times. Oh well. Maybe they will add a bakery to the one in the kitchen?

PS Wouldn't it be great if they offered fresh-hot espresso dinks in Wal-Mart? Giff?

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I love the scene in "Best in Show" when the annoying, yuppie Wiemeraner-owners reminisce how they met by spotting each other from across the street, each in a different Starbucks.

Happy to hear if I ever make it Chile, I'm guaranteed a predictable cup of coffee. :)

H

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Yes, my dad made that when we were growing up. At home. Dirt cheap.
Cool. I make it at home a lot also. 1 cup of rich pressed coffee (or espresso), 1 tablespoon honey (when at home), a splash of 2% milk, lots of ice, mmmmmmm, mmmmmmmm, good. :)

During the summer after my freshman year of college I worked at a Jamaican coffee roasters/house where this was the house specialty drink. The owners/managers were all from Jamaica where it is hot also so they drank this in Jamaica I guess. They turned me on to the drink. I have drank them ever since, ice coffee is soo good. I rarely drink hot coffee, except for an occasional espresso after lunch or dinner.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Iced Coffee
has anybody tried
Nescafe Ice Java - Iced Coffee Syrup?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
el Guapo said:

PS Wouldn't it be great if they offered fresh-hot espresso dinks in Wal-Mart? Giff?
That would be great, when I stop in I could get myself a triple grande mocha.....

Rem

Cyburbian
Congratulations Skel. I failed to advise that Lake Macquarie now has a Starbucks too (for about two months). It is in a big mall development at Charlestown, our largest retail centre.

It's interesting that the Chilean opening was covered by the press as was the Lake Macquarie opening - if nothing else they are obviously expert at generating free advertising.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
All of you people with Starbucks are lucky. I'm with EG in anxiously waiting for one to open in my yard. I can give them a great deal on leasing a corner of the barn. If we had better coffee in town, I would drink it every day.

[OT] Coffee in hot climates - When I was in Saudi Arabia I tried their coffee on several occasions. Because I was the "buyer" for my battalion, I would go to the shops where I was invited to sit down and given a cup of this concentrated sugar and coffee with the consistency of pudding. To be polite, I would drink it. It almost cured me of any desire to have coffee again.[/OT]

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
The horror, part 2

Hooters is going to be opening a store soon here, 99% chances are that it will be in Santiago.

Oh and the street where Starbucks is here, there's lots of restaurants and other shops...

el Guapo

Capitalist
I'm not so sure mixing hooters and hot coffee is a good idea. Maybe sticky buns and hooters, but hot beverages? Naw...

biscuit

Cyburbian
Re: The horror, part 2

SkeLeton said:
Hooters is going to be opening a store soon here, 99% chances are that it will be in Santiago.

Oh and the street where Starbucks is here, there's lots of restaurants and other shops...
Ah, Hooters. Come for the greasy wings and overpriced burgers, stay for the... well, stay for the hooters.

SkeL:
There was a television show, I think it was E's Wild On series, that went to a coffee shop in Santiago where all the baristas were beautiful women in bikinis. Ever heard of such?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Let me guess was it the "Baron Rojo"? or any of the topless or "adult entertaintment" coffee shops/bars? There are many of those around in Chile..

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
jordanb said:
Are you serious? I can't believe there's any major city in America without a starbucks.
Starbucks tends to shun places that aren't seen as trendy. Go to Starbucks.com, and compare the amount of freestanding outlets in Albuquerque versus El Paso, for instance. (I don't consider outlets inside supermarkets or Target stores to be real Starbucks outlets.)

Harrisburg supposedly just got its first Starbucks a few weeks ago. Youngstown, Ohio and Erie, Pennsylvania each have just one. There aren't any in or near Scranton, Terre Haute, Quad Cities, Fargo, and Las Cruces.

Toledo is getting its first freestanding Starbucks at Talmadge Square.

There are some cities that are off the map of most national retailers. Toledo, Buffalo and Syracuse usually get national chains long after the rest of the country sees them, if ever.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
I have 1/10 scale Starbucks in my kitchen and I have never felt better about myself. I do wish Starbucks would open one in my office, garage and on my back deck. The kitchen is just to far away at times. Oh well. Maybe they will add a bakery to the one in the kitchen?
-I just put a mini-bar in my house although it seems like I just can't keep the bottles full.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
If anybody is wondering if Mal-wart will be opening a store here any time soon, I frankly doubt it, since (national big box)supermarkets are on a ongoing national price war... so Wal-Mart would have a tough ride if they want to get on the chilean big box bandwagon....I know that they do have stores in Argentina, but I don't know how well they're doing...

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Starbucks tends to shun places that aren't seen as trendy
Around here most of the Chapters book stores have a Starbucks tucked into some corner of the facility. They may not feel we're trendy enough to inundate with full-fledged freestanding outlets (although there are a few), but they must find us cool enough to buy their coffee with books.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I wonder when Starbucks is going to finish Phase Two of their operations ....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
[Troll] ;)

You third worlders never quit your complaining. First we give you small pox immunity. Ok, so you had to get small pox first. Get over it.

Then we give you democracy. And how do you repay us? Black market drugs. And no even the good sh*t.

Then we finally bring you the modern conveniences that are the metaphor for why the average gringo consumes 200x the world average in resources, and you still complain!

I'm beinginning to think I was right in thinking that Pat Buchanan was right!

[/Troll]