• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The HORROR - Make up a newspaper headline!

el Guapo

Capitalist
With props to Repo Man for the idea.

What is the worst headline that could appear in your local newspaper about your organization?

Repo had one in another thread that went something like: City Planner's Error Costs Local Man Thousands.

Please don't mention anyone by name, even that one guy we all hate.:-c

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
COUNCIL DOWNSIZES PLANNING DEPARTMENT

That *would* be the horror headline, but the unfortunate occurred this week, it didn't even get a friggin foot note.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Historic Neighborhoods Leveled for Regional Shopping Center--Thousands Displaced, Watch as Ancestral Homes Meet the Wrecking Ball

Not likely at all here, thank heaven.

SGB

Cyburbian
_________, NY Surprised at Opening of New Private Solid Waste Landfill on Former Miller Farm.

Could happen in our region. We have communities with the combination of dying farms and absolutely no local land use regulations.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Planning Department OK's Strip Mine in Historic District

Or even worse...

City Planning Director Exposed as Cleveland Browns Fan

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
City Planning Department Fires All Qualified Planners And Hires High School Interns As Replacements

Budgie

Cyburbian
Real News !!!

Recent headline in Abilene, Kansas (for real)

Planning Director Resigns after I-70 Drug Sting.

nerudite

Cyburbian
biscuit said:

City Planning Director Exposed as Cleveland Browns Fan
[/B]
LOL! Here it would be: Senior Planner Reveals Allegiance to Toronto Maple Leafs. I would be run out of town! ;)

donk

Cyburbian
Almost all of those headlines could / have appeared in any one of the provinces papers without phasing anyone.

1) New transcanada was run through a regionally/nationally significant wetland. Home of the "button bush", the only place in the world this plant lives.

2) There would be cheers in many cities and towns if the planning departments were shrunk. It has already happened in Moncton.

3) See the west side of King Street in Saint John.

4) Toxic waste and disposal is in the news right now and was one of the first projects I ever worked on. A guy unloaded 1000 truck fulls of paper sludge claiming he was going to compost it, 8 years later it is still just a dump.

5) Province controls mining, if a resource is under the ground and someone wants it, there is almost no way to stop it.

6) Like Houston (EDIT sorry huston/EDIT), most of the province has no zoning/planning, so a trip there would seem normal.

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Planner: 'Nuclear Waste Recycler Will Be Good Neighbor in Revitalized Downtown'

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Cardinal said:
Wal-Mart Closes Due to Competition from Local Merchants
LOL! Very nice!

mine:

City repeals entire zoning code, Ends annoying variation requests

Or,

Council tables something, Developer outraged

Seabishop

Cyburbian
ARROGANT CITY BOARD DENIES SOMEONE THE RIGHT TO DO SOMETHING SOMEWHERE

OR

PLANNERS APPROVE MULTI-FAMILY DEVELOPMENT: RAPISTS, DRUG DEALERS AND OTHER LOSERS CELEBRATE OVER THEIR NEW HOMES

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Former developer becomes planning director, from now on all new developments in floodplains and wetlands are aprooved.

:p

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Installation of Sidewalks in New Development Quadruples Crime Rate: Outraged Resident Says, "He Just Strolled Away With My 56' Flat-Screen TV and DVD Player!"

H

Cyburbian
donk said:
6) Like Huston, most of the province has no zoning/planning, so a trip there would seem normal.
I know it was an accident, but it has made me soo happy to see someone misspell the City of Houston’s name with the correct spelling of the word (ie my name). This error normally occurs in the other direction.

My day has been made! :-D

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Or this one:

Developer Testifies that Project will Harm Property Values, Cause Drainage Problems, Lead to Traffic Congestion and Over-Load Local Schools

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
City Council expected to submit to Cyburbia

or

Huge paradigm shift expected, Andres Duany to speak at local suburban city council meeting, :D

donk

Cyburbian
My stab at it

Developer agrees to pay for required improvements to services

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Reading, PA Planing director to move to Michigan area. Citizens of Reading cheer, citizens from Michigan flee.

PS: Sorry Mike :p

Jeff

Cyburbian
THIS JUST IN: PHILLIES BLUNT DECLARES BANKRUPTCY! PRODUCTION STOPS IMMEDIATELY!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Subdivision Roads to Connect to Adjacent Subdivision Roads

or

Billboards Approved in Residential Area, Neighbors Happy.

pandersen

Cyburbian
"PLANNING = COMMUNISM"

"LOCAL GOV' T PLANNER ALWAYS SUPPORTS DEVELOPMENT REGARDLESS OF THE COSTS"

PLANNING DEPT SUPPORTS STORE FRONT CHURCHES

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Town Declared “Town Next Door” on Planning Website

James Howard Kunstler Makes Fun of Local Retiree's House

Zoning Revisions Prohibit Any 2 People from Living Together: "Will ease overcrowding" say Planners

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
The City Council Adopts Moratorium to Prohibit Development of Single-Family Houses in a Just-Approved, New Single-Family Zoned Subdivision

steveanne

Disney announces new 300 acre theme park to be built in Manhattan. "Traffic should not be affected," says Disney exec.

Rem

Cyburbian
CITY PLANNER WASTES TIME ON INTERNET: Practice Feared to be Widespread

ALEFEST ENDS IN VIOLENCE
Two young men were left bloodied and dishevelled after a fight broke out during a liaison organised over the internet. The two men, both town planners met over the internet. Using the names JordanB and Chet the ...........

LARGE BREASTED WOMAN DISRUPTS MECHANIC'S CONVENTION
An amply proportioned woman experiencing car trouble caused mayhem yesterday when she wondered into the 91st annual New Jersey motor mechanics convention seeking help ......

Cirrus

Cyburbian
GAS STATION BLOWS UP - SUVs Strewn For Miles

TREE-HUGGER PUSSIES STOP WAL MART - It's All A Bunch of Long-Haired Hippy Crap!

Actually, I'd really enjoy reading both those articles :)

lowlyplanner

Cyburbian
CITY COUNCILMAN SAYS "SPRAWL IS GOOD. IF IT WEREN'T FOR SPRAWL, WE'D ALL BE LIVING IN THE 'HOOD."

Oh yeah, that already happened...

jordanb

Cyburbian
Area Around New Housing Development Excited About Prospects Of More Neighbors

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
LOCAL COUNCIL ESTABLISHES "TOWN SQUARE" DISTRICT, NEW URBANISTS GET WOODIES

(sorry female new urbanists)

and

CITY PLANNER WRITES NEW ZONING REGULATION, MORE PROPERTY RIGHTS LOST, SAYS LOCAL RESIDENT.

or

LOCAL RESIDENT REALIZES HE CAN FIGHT CITY HALL

Last edited:

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Planning Board Asks Project Engineer If He Realizes Water Runs Downhill.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
A DEVELOPER FOUND NOT TO BE A STUPID, ANNOYING JERK, PLANNING WORLD SHOCKED

el Guapo

Capitalist
Citizens Overwhelmingly say: It's OK, You’re just doing your job, and we need enforcement of your deliciously restrictive design standards.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I just can't stop

EXHAUSTIVE FEDERAL RESEARCH FINDS THAT THE THROBBING BRAIN OF CYBURBIA WILL SAVE OUR SOULS, CHIRISTIANS RETHINK ENTIRE THEOLOGY

(Sorry Jesus)

Last edited:

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
City Planning Commission Approves Large Development Project Based Solely Upon Developer's Bad Reputation

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
This is just weird!

Duplex residents don't want single-family homes in their neighborhood

I just don't understand this, but here is the quote from the Thursday, September 18th edition of the Lakeside Times in Little Elm, Texas

Steven Dixon, a resident in the neighboring duplexes, said the proposal for single-family homes within the duplex addition is just weird.

"I'm very upset with this," he said. "What they're doing is making their problem our problem. We shouldn't have to suffer for this."
This is the first time I've ever heard of duplex or apartment residents being upset at the construction of single-family homes in their neighborhood.

I've thought that much of what upsets people about zoning changes (or whatever) is just a resistance to change of any kind, good or bad. But this is just beyond me.

Anyone else ever heard of someone being opposed to single-family homes and preferring duplexes or apartments?

Starrdarcy

BANNED
red tape

this is mine, get the wording?

Red tape holds up new shopping center

it appeared in our local newspaper, it cracked me up.

The worst that could happen is...

city planning council dispanded

now thats bad

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
el Guapo said:
Citizens Overwhelmingly say: It's OK, You’re just doing your job, and we need enforcement of your deliciously restrictive design standards.
That's funny stuff! Gotta share it with our Code Enforcement Officer...

Here's one of mine:
"City Councilman actually acts in the City's Best Interest rather than just saying he does"

"[insert big-box developer name here] complies with restrictions without complaint"

"City Council decides to listen to recommendation from Planning Commission"

"Citizens welcome sewage treatment plant saying 'it has to go somewhere'"

"City Planner raises USSR flag over city hall saying 'your assuptions about planners were correct'"

"City selects sensible location to place new city hall building"

boiker

Cyburbian
revived!

A Downtown Experience
Local developer proposes a 'lifestyle center' east of town that will give residents the excitement of downtown shopping without the inconviences.
--------------

NEIGHBORHOOD EMBRACES CHANGE
Local business man convert single family home into a mixed use halfway house and metal reclamation facilty. Local residents are exicted of the prospects of up to 4 additional near by jobs.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Reading, PA Planing director to move to Michigan area. Citizens of Reading cheer, citizens from Michigan flee.

PS: Sorry Mike :p
Mountains in Chile "acquired" by US Planner- says he will make personal ski hill, and all current residents of the area will have to relocate to Brazil. :)