• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Hulk

What's your preference?

• Lou Ferrigno - over 200 lbs of flesh and blood. Powers are limited to 1970s-80s cheap special effec

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Computer-generated Hulk - over 7 ft tall; able to leap tall bldgs in a single bound; seemingly unlim

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - explained below

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
I saw "The Hulk " this past Friday night. It wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't the worst movie either. I do think that it was very hard for young children to follow (and there were plenty of them in the theatre that night). Aside from the seemingly adult matter of the movie, the biggest question to me is whether or not I preferred the Lou Ferrigno Hulk to the computer generated Hulk. What's your preference?

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Just from seeing the previews, I MUCH MUCH prefer the Lou Ferrigno Hulk. I might have actually considered going to see it if it was real.

I heard it was horrible.

It looked way too fake to me and the special effects were a bit over the top. Lou Ferrigno had a brief cameo in the movie. BTW, Eric Bana and Corey Feldman must have been separated at birth.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I still cant figure out why all his clothes ripped off except his shorts.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I think most people between the ages of 25-50 will always associate Lou Ferrigno/Bill Bixby with the Hulk. I may go and see it. It looks kind of interesting. The trailers make it look like the Hulk can jump really far, almost flying. I don't recall the real Hulk doing that.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I don't see why they felt like there was a need to make the computer generated Hulk as opposed to the Lou F. Hulk. I haven't seen the movie but I don't think I will pay to see it. I'll wait a couple years to see it and maybe I'll catch it on TV or something...

The Lou F. Hulk seems more believable...the new hulk seems to just show off.

Boo.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Nerd-boy hat on...

From what I've seen of the movie previews it looks like the movie is based more on the comic book where the Hulk is massive, can jump 100's of yards at a time and throws tanks in the air. The special effects look a little fake but I imagine that I'll rent it one day when it's out on DVD.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Old school Hulk was cool .... I just can't get into the new-generation super hero remake movies, just not the same.

donk

Cyburbian
I have not seen te movie, yet, but it looks pretty bad.

My favourite Hulk is from the late 60' early 70's animated. The voices, dubbing and art are hideous, but it is pretty funny.

A contributing factor to this humour may be that it is on friday and saturday nights at about 3:00am.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Re: Nerd-boy hat on...

biscuit said:
From what I've seen of the movie previews it looks like the movie is based more on the comic book where the Hulk is massive, can jump 100's of yards at a time and throws tanks in the air. The special effects look a little fake but I imagine that I'll rent it one day when it's out on DVD.
Ditto. I was a "Hulk" comics fan growing up, and this movie Hulk is much more like the comic than the old TV show. The change in size is about right, and the super-extraordinary strength is about right, too. In the TV show, Lou Ferrigno would pick up cars; in the comics, the Hulk would throw cars (and tanks, like in the trailer).

Also, I saw a "Making Of" documentary on the movie, and I guess serious thought was given to having the Hulk be completely nude. Problem was, the producers knew that when the DVD came out, teenage boys would press pause to see if the Hulk was "really" a man. If he wasn't, they'd lose some authenticity; if he was, there would be some 'splainin' to worked-up parents. So they kept the shorts on.

Those shorts must have been made out of special stretch fabric because when the Hulk reverted back to Bruce Banner, the shorts shrunk as well, except for one scene when BB was naked when he converted back. I suppose the producers missed that little error.