• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

The Human Scale documentary

forestbwilder

The Human Scale is a new documentary profiling Jan Gehl and Gehl Architects ideas and international work that should be of interest to Planners.

See the trailer here: http://thehumanscale.dk

I saw it recently at a free screening hosted by a local chapter of Architects in Film, and I found pretty interesting and inspirational. I had never heard of Jan Gehl, but I agreed with most everything he said and am now interested in reading his books. If you've seen it, what did you think?

-bump-

The Human Scale (2013) can be seen free-of-charge- in English on youtube:

There are a few minor hitches with the ^above^ free English version:

• You must start about 3 minutes into the film; the first 3 minutes are in Spanish. (I set up an automatic 3-minute entrance in the ^above link^ but might it be worth noting for future reference.)
  • The name of this film version is in Spanish: "La Escala Humana".
  • It's not in HD.
  • It conforms to a widescreen TV, and fills up much of the screen---but not (necessarily) the entire screen.
  • It's about 10 minutes shorter than the English rental version.
  • Throughout the film, there are yellow Spanish subtitles centered on the bottom.
Some free movie links are included my posts because I know what it's like to be a broke student and a university graduate weighed down for years in student debt.
That said, The Human Scale English HD rental version has remarkable photographic restoration and is a world of viewing difference. It's sort of like the difference in watching major league ball games on a large HD screen versus an average SD screen. Some on-demand sites and cable plans have the English HD film rentals free-of-charge.
(Youtube English-HD rental cost $US~> 3.99)