• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The Image of a Planner

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
When someone says the word 'planner' what stereotyped image do you think comes to people's minds? Stodgy.....bespectacled.....middle aged.....suit.....pencil neck.....Beuhler, Beuhler, anyone, Beuhler......(if female) unmarried.....(if male) bald and henpecked.....conventional....inflexible.....geek/nerd
We, of course, know better than that. The briefest of visits to this forum will demonstrate to the outside world an inordinate interest in heavy metal, and disrespect for either convention or authority.
Who is the most unconventional of the unconventional on this forum? who's got the ponytail? Any acid dropping punks who wear more than two leather garments while not on the job?
How is it that YOU do not fit the mold?

SGB

Cyburbian
  • I don't have 3 evening meetings a week for work.
  • I have lobe length sideburns.
  • I don't work in the 'burbs or a city. (Rural public sector planners are the rarerest of the rare, IMO.)
  • In good weather, I wear berkinstocks on casual days.
  • I don't ride a bike regularly.
  • I don't listen to symphonic death metal. ;)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Typical planner is a dude that shops for his girl-friend at the Wal-mart he opposed, but couldn't stop due to the town board being paid-off ;)

-I wear steeltoe boots, no shoes, got to be able to kick people if necessary
-I drink PBR on the week-ends now
-Listen to a variety of music
-Kill kittens

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I just walked down to the vending machine and overheard a fellow planner remark "I'm looking for a good discount travel package to British Columbia - so I can go club some baby seals..."
Our sense of humor surely sets us apart.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Hmmm... khakis, shirt and tie, short hair with a few gray ones :-c , work too much, too many evening meetings, Subaru, environmentalist, gardener and organic food grower, outdoorsy -- that's pretty much normal around here.

I did have long hair a few years ago. Other than one from California, I think I am the only economic developer to ever have a pony tail.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I think that the image of a planner is like the image of a city. Everyone is different, and they are always changing. For me, Monday – Friday 8-5 I am in a shirt and tie, shorter hair, clean cut with the exception of the goatee with wing tips, unless I have inspections that day then it is dressy work boots khakis. Then 5-6:30 I am in wind pant and a muscle shirt (t-with no sleeves) and on weekends it is jeans or shorts, tee shirt and flip-flops. But when I go out I wear khakis or black pants, fitted sweater, shirt, or buttoned up dresser yet casual shirt.

Over all, I feel more comfortable when I am a little bit dressed up. I continue to make the effort to look good, because if I know I look good, it continues to boost my confidence, energy, and happiness. (Considering I was a quiet, geeky, scrawny kid when I was in HS… I love how things change)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Maister said:
I just walked down to the vending machine and overheard a fellow planner remark "I'm looking for a good discount travel package to British Columbia - so I can go club some baby seals..."
Our sense of humor surely sets us apart.
But you think a planner would have a better sense of geography - the seal clubbing is all done out in Newfoundland. ;)

I guess...I kinda fit Maister's image of the typical planner. I can't really think of anything unconventional that would describe me. Damn you Maister for making me feel ordinary!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Well, on the one hand, I have a Subaru and Birkenstocks and don't shop at Wal-Mart (but do stop at Starbucks). On the other hand, I wear mostly black, have unusual glasses, listen to Swedish trance pop...oh, wait, that's the architect's archetype, isn't it? So, probably pretty typical after all, guess despite the green hair in high school and college I am a target market. Damn. :-\

Seabishop

Cyburbian
The first image that comes to mind is the bearded, professorial type - kind of like Maister's avatar. In reality, I can't put my finger on a certain type.

I don't think I am a "typical" planner . . . or am I?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
But you think a planner would have a better sense of geography - the seal clubbing is all done out in Newfoundland. ;)

I guess...I kinda fit Maister's image of the typical planner. I can't really think of anything unconventional that would describe me. Damn you Maister for making me feel ordinary!
Hey, if the shoe fits....don't blame me ;-)

Actually, I've noticed there are several "types" of planners. The 'accountant-like' one I described is one stereotype. Cardinal points at another one (you know, the "granola" type). As Michaelskis once said to me "you know your avatar looks just like you....except for the beard, glasses, turtleneck, sports coat....." I think what he meant is that in many ways I personify that (hip) professorial, liberal mentality one runs into so often in this field.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I don't fit either image. I am not at all a "granola" and I shop at Wal-Mart all the time.

I know I am not the stodgy professorial type. I am a real smart-a$$, love playing practical jokes, and don't read any non-fiction (especially serious "planning-type" books).

otterpop

Cyburbian
This thread reminds me of a story told in our office about a potential job seeker, fresh from grad school, who (1) showed up 30 minutes late; (2) was too casually dressed for a job interview, and (3), here's the topper, while answering a question referred to the County Commissioners as "the Commissioner dudes." Needless to say, he did not get hired

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Just because I am the way that I am... I took a picture of Maister.

You might notice he is also a friend of nature and the fun and friendly waterfowl!

1377maister-med.jpg

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'm not sure I want to know where his other hand is.

Maister, have you ever seen the video for the Beastie Boy's "Sabotage"? That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your pic.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Whereas, the penguin is aesthetically pleasing in design; and
Whereas, everything about the penguin is clearly black or white; and
Whereas, it could never fly; and
Whereas, it has an elegant stance; and
Whereas, it faces all decisions with cold feet and buddles together in groups; and
Whereas, it has few friends except those of its own kind; and
Whereas, it is considered to be a strange bird:
Thererfore, be it resolved that we do hereby recommend the adoption of the penguin as the official bird of the Ann Arbor Planning Department.

From Weaver and Babcock, City Zoning: The Once and Future Frontier, American Planning Association Press, 1979.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michaelskis said:
Just because I am the way that I am... I took a picture of Maister.

You might notice he is also a friend of nature and the fun and friendly waterfowl!
Dang, caught me in a candid 'special moment' I was sharing with my mallard....
Well, we've all got our favorite members of the animal kingdom I'm sure. Right?
Maybe that photo should be a caption contest?....

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
michaelskis said:
Another confirmation of the "mustached planner stereotype". When will you become the department director? :-D ;-)

My "look" is pretty conventional. I prefer clothing that will not be "out-of-fashion" in two years.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
Maister, have you ever seen the video for the Beastie Boy's "Sabotage"? That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your pic.
Me too......

Attachments

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
I'm not sure I want to know where his other hand is.

Why the other hand is supporting the............base.....of the duck. No, I never saw the 'Sabotage' video. In fact, the ony Beastie Boys video I can recall seeing was the "Fight for Your Right to Party" one. I am probably missing some hilarious pop culture reference here aren't I?

biscuit

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Another confirmation of the "mustached planner stereotype". When will you become the department director? :-D ;-)
LOL. The mustach is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of planner sterotypes. Probably because every 'mature' planner in this department has one. Was this some kind of special look planning schools were teaching back in the day?

I don't suppose I look like the stereotypical planner. Really I guess I look and dress just about the same as anyother guy my age would. Except of course I have been spotted wearing the planners uniform on a couple of occasions. :-D

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
NHPlanner said:
Me too......
Holy SH*#,
I know I did a lot of things I'm not proud of during the late 80's.... but I honestly have NO recollection of doing that video. Wow, I'm famous. :-D

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Maister said:
Why the other hand is supporting the............base.....of the duck. No, I never saw the 'Sabotage' video. In fact, the ony Beastie Boys video I can recall seeing was the "Fight for Your Right to Party" one. I am probably missing some hilarious pop culture reference here aren't I?

They have a point! You would fit into that video... or maybe as a cast member for Starsky and Hutch.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Maister said:
Dang, caught me in a candid 'special moment' I was sharing with my mallard....
Well, we've all got our favorite members of the animal kingdom I'm sure. Right?
Maybe that photo should be a caption contest?....

And such is the reason that a duck quacks... you would quack too if violated like the duck.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I guess I would fit comfortably into that whole 'planner-who's-inordinately-kind-to-waterfowl-who-does-the-occasional-Beasty-Boys-video' scene. That's what I'm into. Yeah, like many other planners I fit into that stereotype. I'm part of that movement. Yep, that's me.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
I guess we know where the lyrics "I can't stand it, I know you planned it" come from now...

(nice, nice, Tran :-D )

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1377Mvc-001s1-med.jpg

Maister wanted to know if this duck looks unhappy???

(I just showed maister how to put pic's on line, so everyone ask him for his collection of pic's of his Ex Girlfriends...) :-D

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Well, I guess I look the stereotype: I dutifully wear a tie each day (we are not required to wear suit jackets, so I leave it at home). I have the glazed over look that comes from too many night meetings, too many idiotic Plan Commission and City Council decisions, too much staring at a computer screen (like I'm doing right now). I drive a Volvo. I have the look of a grizzled planning veteran as befits my age and my tenure. I belong to CNU. My employer pays my APA and AICP dues. I go to planning conferences. I like beer. I'm creative, but I'm not gay. ;-)

Beyond that, however, I am decidedly nonconformist. I am conservative, usually vote Republican, and I'm a devoutly orthodox Catholic. Politically and regarding the culture wars, I would say that I am distinctly in the minority here in our little cyber-community. Vive le difference!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
Well, I guess I look the stereotype: I dutifully wear a tie each day (we are not required to wear suit jackets, so I leave it at home). I have the glazed over look that comes from too many night meetings, too many idiotic Plan Commission and City Council decisions, too much staring at a computer screen (like I'm doing right now). I drive a Volvo. I have the look of a grizzled planning veteran as befits my age and my tenure. I belong to CNU. My employer pays my APA and AICP dues. I go to planning conferences. I like beer. I'm creative, but I'm not gay. ;-)

Beyond that, however, I am decidedly nonconformist. I am conservative, usually vote Republican, and I'm a devoutly orthodox Catholic. Politically and regarding the culture wars, I would say that I am distinctly in the minority here in our little cyber-community. Vive le difference!

Wow... you sound kind of like me in about 10 years, other I drive a new Impala, and I will not let anything in my life be dull! I too a, Catholic and involved in my church, conservative, and cultured. I would not mind being the conservative version of JFK Jr. minus the whole plane issue.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I've described the western exurban/county planner stereotype before: eccentric, gruff, often libertarian except for land use-related issues. If they have to wear a tie for a public meeting, it's usually a bolo. Spotted at: Western Planner and APA Four Corners conferences, cattle auctions, under the hood of their 1972 Chevrolet pickup, buried underneath the dirt a few hundred feet off the I-25 frontage road.

Yes, I've met many that fit the mold.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Pretty sure I don't fit the image:
- Drive a full size 4wd pick up
- Keep my blonde hair short
- No facial hair
- Almost always wear a dress shirt (& Dockers)
- No Birkenstocks
- Wear fewer ties compared to when I was in Calif.
- Politically just slightly left of center
- Drink macro-beer (and wine)
- Eat red meat
- Wear contacts lens rather than glasses

Last edited:

otterpop

Cyburbian
Dan said:
I've described the western exurban/county planner stereotype before: eccentric, gruff, often libertarian except for land use-related issues. If they have to wear a tie for a public meeting, it's usually a bolo. Spotted at: Western Planner and APA Four Corners conferences, cattle auctions, under the hood of their 1972 Chevrolet pickup, buried underneath the dirt a few hundred feet off the I-25 frontage road.

Yes, I've met many that fit the mold.
Damn, Dan, you got me dead to rights. Except for the gun resting on my toe. I never shoot myself in the foot, except at public meetings.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I can say this bout myself.

I dont look like a planner because I dont look old.( no gray hair)
Also I wear colorful shirts.
and am rarely( read never) in ties and suits.
maximum is blazers/cardigans.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I am a real smart-a$$, love playing practical jokes, and don't read any non-fiction (especially serious "planning-type" books).
This part is too true for both of us. ;)

I am a khaki kind of girl, only because I don't like matching clothes with something complicated. If I were in my proper climate, I would be wearing sandals of some sort, usually Birks. But on Commission days, I do dress up with a nice skirt, tailored dress, or suit. However, my job here does not require me to dress us since I do Park Planning now. Other than that, I do drive a Subaru and only buy organic food for my child.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am thinking we need to get out the digital cameras, and get upload happy... Maister already went..

otterpop

Cyburbian
Inspired by Dan's posting and the picture, I am going to contact Western Planner to recommend they replace Lester with the gentleman in the picture and start using the slogan "Western Planner. WE"RE RUGGED!"

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I guess we know where the lyrics "I can't stand it, I know you planned it" come from now...
LMAO! I never thought of those lyrics that way!

Bangorian

Dan said:
This could be ANYONE in town government in Maine. :c:

donk

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
LMAO! I never thought of those lyrics that way!

I am now hearing it in my head, including the heavy bass line intro and squealing voices.

Time to download it to get it out of my head.

JNL

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Me too......
LMAO - nice work!

Tranplanner said:
and Tran - I think a new 'Cyburbianism' has been born :-D

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Maister said:
Holy SH*#,
I know I did a lot of things I'm not proud of during the late 80's.... but I honestly have NO recollection of doing that video. Wow, I'm famous. :-D
No, I think the fame set in when the doctors were unable to remove your hand from the mallard's behind.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
sisterceleste said:
I find most planners 45+ are old hippies like me...far out, solid and right on!!!!!
This 45+ ain't no hippy...but I can still be solid and on the mark. ;) (oops, did I write that?)