• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

The Image of a Planner

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Chet said:
No, I think the fame set in when the doctors were unable to remove your hand from the mallard's behind.
Now you're exaggerating....mallard removal procedures are routinely performed at most metro area clinics. The mallard removal surgery I underwent after the photoshoot was a quick and relatively painless outpatiet procedure - I don't see what the big deal is. Like I said, I'm sure any number of planners on this forum have had it happen to them at one time or another - right?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
what is the average age of planners here? And do you think that has more of an impact on there image?

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
michaelskis said:
what is the average age of planners here? And do you think that has more of an impact on there image?

DUDE!

You are One (1) post away from being in the clube!!

The anticipation must be killing you!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:
DUDE!

You are One (1) post away from being in the clube!!

The anticipation must be killing you!

Good things come to those who wait... :)

The moment is was reserved for the right time.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I definitely don't fit the planner mold.

I'm 22 with spiked hair and sideburns. At work, I'm usually in some wild colored shirt and khakis. I shop at Express sometimes, but I am not a 'metrosexual' or anything; I'm only there when they have a kickass sale going. I drag out jeans and sport shirts when I'm going to be outside. I live for casual Friday! When I'm up at school I cruise around in Berks or flip-flops, shorts and a hawaiian shirt. If it's cold I pull out jeans and a leather jacket or my Texas State pullover.

I don't like new music, with exception of some of the more folk sounding rock. My music collection consists of music that is usually about as old or older than me, mostly from the 70s & 80s. Pink Floyd is my favorite.

While I am a bit of a tree-hugger (comes with living in a pretty place), I am not one of the Granola-type. I love me some red meat! I can also admit that I shop at Walmart, but I try to avoid it as much as possible. I don't eat a chain restaurants simply because they're boring.

I drive my friends crazy because I can make a joke out of anything. I'm also known for pulling practical jokes on anyone. I regularly attend church, but have a more moderate & very cynical political viewpoint. My very conservative Dad jokes that I was born in the wrong state to the wrong parents.

I drive a tuned 1999 Pontiac Grand Am. I dream of owning a classic convertible like a 67-69 Camaro or GTO (not a Volvo, sorry). I used to work on British sports cars but got tired of all the electrical problems.

BKM

Cyburbian
Let's see:

No ties or fancy clothes (usually a dress shirt with no tie-although today, 5/6 of us wore the Department Polo Shirt that was purchased last year :) ) Semi-frumpy, I guess. :) (Yep)

Politically left-of-center-but very skeptical of true believers of any stripe. (Yep)

Socially liberal INTELLECTUALLY, but I am a major square in reality (I hate grafitti and a leather-clad guy leading another on a chain and a dog collar still...creeps me out a bit, viscerally, even if intellectually/politically I am ok with it :)

I also have a bit of trouble believing that begging is a legitimate career (come on, sitting on the same corner in Berkeley for 13 years? Get your life together, sister!)

Pretty solitary, overall.(Nope)

Bizarre tastes in music (black/doom metal and goth rock) (Nope)

Dog nut (Yep?)

Bicycling (Yep-for this board)

Drive a Subaru (Yep)

No beard or mustache (the Department Director and the Principal Planner have mustaches) (Nope)

After a career in a State where hundreds of thousands are spent on "process" (CEQA), tractor ruts and drainage ditches have become "protected wetlands" and city officials propose removing 1500 "non-native" trees from a city park to allow a little weed to grow back, my environmentalist credentials are pretty much rusted by cynicism and impatience (Nope)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1900duck.jpg

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Cardinal said:
Maister, your courage has inspired me....
Yep, you've got the waterfowl part down pat. :-b Now you just need a moustache....

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
My boss and I also fit the bearded or mustached planner stereotype...

andre.jpg

tim.jpg

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

andre.jpg

I think your boss is the studliest planner I've ever seen. NOT the norm. ;)

michaelskis said:
I am 38 and I am not going to "fit" any mold. (For one thing, mold and mildew are deadly for someone with respiratory problems. :-D ) I was a Brane in high school and everyone knew it and Great Things were expected of me. I gave up a national merit scholarship and went to the local college for a couple of years and then dropped out. I got married at 19 and did the homemaker thing for a zillion years, although I originally had fantasies that I would be home for 5 years while the kids were little. 8-! And I could go on but the short version is that I am totally outside of any "stereotype" or "mold".

You know, I have seen and read enough biographies to tell you that folks will do a certain amount to APPEAR to fit the mold. Rita Hayworth was Spanish or Hispanic -- her ethnicity was a problem for her career. She found big success only after dying her hair blonde and ditching her real name (Margarita Carmen Cansino). She did other stuff to "look" 'white' or however you want to view it.

There are many such stories. I think the degree to which you have to LOOK like you fit the mold is lessening but I don't think it will ever go away. I have a friend who does "respectable" work and also does "weird" stuff. She keeps those two things separate so as to not hurt her "respectable" work. I think that goes on all the time. It isn't that folks aren't x, y, or z or don't do x, y, or z. They just are very careful to not TELL you if they don't trust you with such inflammatory information. :) (and that also means not saying it "in public" -- so if you don't talk to them privately, you won't hear it)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Maister and Cardinal - thanks for the late Friday SNARF. And Cardinal -- please wash your hands.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
nerudite said:
I think your boss is the studliest planner I've ever seen. NOT the norm. ;)

Sorry, he looks like George from American Idol 3. (Sorry George)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

andre.jpg

tim.jpg

FYI: NONE of the goddesses has mustaches or beards. However, 2 of us are blonde, does that fit a planner stereotype?

ebeech121

Cyburbian
Uh oh!!

michaelskis said:
Just because I am the way that I am... I took a picture of Maister.

You might notice he is also a friend of nature and the fun and friendly waterfowl!

Is that a Mac keyboard I see?? In the words of Jaime Buchman ("Mad About You")-- Tell me it's true!!!!!

I am an iTunes-lovin', cmd-key tappin', Finder-switchin' Mac user. If you don't like it....um...kiss my iBook. :f:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Looks familiar.

maiser_stalin.jpg

ebeech121 said:
Is that a Mac keyboard I see?? In the words of Jaime Buchman ("Mad About You")-- Tell me it's true!!!!!:

Looks like a Compaq or Logitech keyboard to me.

I, personally, would LOVE to have a G5 Duallie running on my desktop at work. Unfortunately, it'll never happen, for four reasons:

1) ESRI software
2) Electronic Field Study / Pictometry software
3) IT loves Dell.
4) There probably aren't any drivers for our schweet HP 44" color plotter.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I don't like new music, with exception of some of the more folk sounding rock. My music collection consists of music that is usually about as old or older than me, mostly from the 70s & 80s. Pink Floyd is my favorite.

Well I have similar tastes.
YEsterday I bought Jethrotull and Ozzy CD's :p

ebeech121

Cyburbian
...Gag!

Dan said:
3) IT loves Dell.

Good news: Virtual PC Windows XP Professional. Yessir, mmhmmm. You can run all those Windows-based programs on a Mac in the Virtual PC. I think. I don't have it because well..it's Windows. And yes, those G5 Duals are sweeeeeet. They're so fast, if I had one, I would nickname it Gonzales.

And as for Dell... ::shudders:: My school has a deal with that horrid company and we have about 500 Dell desktops in the computer labs. Thank god there are 10 G4s. Only 10. Eh...what can I do? Dell desktops are the worst computers. (Do I really have to apologize for that one? Shouldn't Dell apologize to the world? "Sorry Dell")

Switch!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Ha, that's El Cardinalo - put that one on Match.com and see what reaction you get.

Admit it - How many of you wear neckties with map or architecture designs?
tiesmall.jpg

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Ok, I give up--where did the "All your base belong to us" reference come from? It sounds so familiar, it's nagging at the edge of my brain...help!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
"All your base are belong to us" comes from, I think, a Japanese anime comic series. Other more knowledgeable Cuyburbians will surely correct me or add the appropriate details :-D

Well - I think my girly bits automatically make me an atypical planner. However, looking around at the female planners that attend our monthly APA section luncheons, I think Womyn Planners fall into two groups - (and please excuse the gross generalizations - but isn't that what this thread is about?)
1. The older, sometimes matronly, slightly granola, jumper wearing, community development planners
2. Younger Gen X planner-grrrlz - usually were fun loving geography undergrads, social, usually a Guy's Girl, often volunteers for the local section/chapter to promote her career
3. The Dutch Rugby Playing Planner

I fall into category 2.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
1. The older, sometimes matronly, slightly granola, jumper wearing, community development planners
2. Younger Gen X planner-grrrlz - usually were fun loving geography undergrads, social, usually a Guy's Girl, often volunteers for the local section/chapter to promote her career

I fall into category 2.
LOL... I know a lot of #1s. ;)

I would say that I fit mostly into #2, with the exception that I never volunteer for chapter stuff because it's incredibly dull and I have no freetime as it is. Also... what's a 'guy's girl'?

nerudite said:
what's a 'guy's girl'?

The kind of girl that gets along with a group of guys - platonically - not like a groupie. Is comfortable hanging in the pub, watching hockey on the tv or playing darts. She can be girly, but not a girly girl. does that make sense?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
The kind of girl that gets along with a group of guys - platonically - not like a groupie. Is comfortable hanging in the pub, watching hockey on the tv or playing darts. She can be girly, but not a girly girl. does that make sense?

That's what I figured... just didn't know for sure. Yeah, that would be most of the girls I know around my age (both in and out of the planning profession). I sound like a #2!

martini

Cyburbian
hhmm. me? 31 6'5" kinda normal looking. I usually wear dress shirts and nce pants(kahki's or dickies work pants actually, no Pleats, just flat front.). Funky glasses, usually some kind of facial hair, 'cause I don't have any on my head. Summers, I shave bald, winter I keep a short layer. I try to wear funky shoes, and I definitly fit the enviro side of things.

picserver.jpeg

There, found a better picture. I'm the bald guy in the pic. And this is taken after 3 bottles of wine. What a wedding party that was. michealskis woulda loved it. On the shores of Supierior on the UP. T'was a perfect weekend in late September.

Last edited:

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I don't think I'm typical planner at all

Manicured nails, wear designer clothing like Burberry, I don't ride a bike and have never owned a pair of Birkenstocks. I did do the whole tree huger thing in high school/early college then I realized I was just a prep waiting to burst out.

I DO own a Saturn and have a couple dogs, even a RUGGED one-a beagle but he's gay.
Your more likely to see me in a gown at the National Symphony orchestra than a planners convention.

Eeeekkk I should have been a lawyer!

jestes

Cyburbian
I am not sure that I fit any typical mold either although I have been called boringly average. Physically I am about 6'2", 200 lbs., brown hair, blue eyes. Socially, I am neither the life of the party nor the wallflower although I do enjoy good conversation and I consider myself to have a good sense of humor. Politically, I am definitely right of center. I was an honor graduate in high school but not a geek, in fact, I was equally comfortable with most of the cliques that existed at my school....Oh my God, I am boringly average.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Well - I think my girly bits automatically make me an atypical planner. However, looking around at the female planners that attend our monthly APA section luncheons, I think Womyn Planners fall into two groups - (and please excuse the gross generalizations - but isn't that what this thread is about?)

I fall into category 2.

Trail Nazi is sort of a 2. Sisterceleste and I must be anomalies because we aren't even close to any of the categories.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'll add a Type 4: The Serious Planner Womyn. We're talking about somewhat antisocial self-proclaimed superwomen that never, ever smile. Think of Lilith from Cheers and Fraiser, and you'll have a good idea about what Womyn Planner Type 4 is like.

bebeneuwirth05.jpg

I think that, in the past. I've described what will be Type 5: The Hottie Planner Womyn. You see them at APA conferences and local section happy hours, but not your place of work.

The other planning department. You're not missing out, though, because they're all either married or dating someone, and the ones that are single won't give you the time of day.

women.jpg

Your planning department. That's probably the director on the left.

engineers.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Wanigas? said:
I have the Boston Civitas tie

Next time I'm back home, I'm getting a Buffalo tie.

60.jpg

What's scary is that there are now Rochester ties, too.

9.jpg

Doitnow

Cyburbian
women.jpg

These girsl are in shorts/short skirts and in evening fun mood in some carnival and not in some serious planning conference. Are they?

picserver.jpeg

Hey! You are bald and your friend is almost bald
BTW one interest I share with you is no Pleats, just flat front.

Having met planner groupie - i wouldn't say she's really a groupie, she's more of a planner girl stereotype 2/5. if she were a planner.

by groupie, i meant the kind of girl who hangs out with a group of guys just for the male attention, not the companionship. A cheerleader, versus the girl who is the high school football team manager. at least, in my school anyway.