• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

The inevitable bacon thread split

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Bacon is a glorious thing. But it does have a few drawbacks. The drawback include:
1. clogged arteries
2. not especially convenient to prepare
3. leaves greasy pans to clean up

Image result for bacon

Anyone ever eat bacon prepared using a bacon press? I'm considering getting one.
Image result for bacon press

AG74683

Cyburbian
Bacon is a glorious thing. But it does have a few drawbacks. The drawback include:
1. clogged arteries
Anyone ever eat bacon prepared using a bacon press? I'm considering getting one.
This will end up as a spin off thread, I feel it, but what is everyone's favorite bacon cooking method? I've moved almost completely to the oven method now. I find I get much more consistent results that way.

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. clogged arteries

Image result for bacon

Image result for bacon press
Heh - I picked up one of those for the household a few years back - probably not the exact same one as your picture, but also pig-shaped. It gets used maybe five times a year, but it's worth it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This will end up as a spin off thread, I feel it, but what is everyone's favorite bacon cooking method? I've moved almost completely to the oven method now. I find I get much more consistent results that way.
I still pan fry bacon using a nonstick pan. I know ideally, one is supposed to use cast iron but our cast iron cookware isn't conveniently located in the kitchen. I should probably remedy that. Say, that's one thing I should do this weekend - move the cast iron skillet from the camping gear into the kitchen cabinet with our other daily use pots and pans.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
How is bacon consumed at your houses?

Usually, the only times I fix bacon is on weekends and it's typically served with scrambled eggs. The other times bacon gets used in recipes on weekdays is I occasionally top casseroles with crumbled up bacon. I'm not a big fan of raw tomatoes so I don't really do the BLT thing, but have on rare occasions prepared BL sandwiches when seriously jonesing for bacon. We don't eat salads as often as we should, but on occasion I will fry up some bacon to add to garden salads. Oh, and last year we discovered an awesome recipe for a sort of German potato salad that uses bacon.

Image result for bacon potato salad

AG74683

Cyburbian
I usually only make it on the weekends, Sunday mornings for the most part. I use it to make breakfast sandwiches, or breakfast bagels. That's usually bacon, egg (scrambled, over-easy, or sunny side up), cheese, and some sort of spicy mustard. Sometimes I throw jalapenos or sun dried tomatoes in there too.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Who does not like

BLT sandwiches ?

Club sandwiches ?

BAT (Bacon, Avocado, & Tomato) sandwiches ?
I loves me some bacon but all of the above feature raw tomatoes, so while I might enjoy a club sandwich or BLT now and then, I make it a point to first remove the tomatoes.

kms

Cyburbian
I cook bacon in the oven on a parchment-covered baking sheet. You don’t have to watch it as closely, and if you allow the grease to solidify a bit, you can use the paper as a funnel to pour it where you keep bacon grease.

If I had a rack that fit my sheet pan, I’d set the bacon in it and let the grease fall onto the parchment.

Who else keeps bacon grease?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I loves me some bacon but all of the above feature raw tomatoes, so while I might enjoy a club sandwich or BLT now and then, I make it a point to first remove the tomatoes.
I'm the same way. I like tomatoes in stuff, salsa, chili, Italian cooking. I just don't like them either in sandwiches or by themselves.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I cook bacon in the oven on a parchment-covered baking sheet. You don’t have to watch it as closely, and if you allow the grease to solidify a bit, you can use the paper as a funnel to pour it where you keep bacon grease.

If I had a rack that fit my sheet pan, I’d set the bacon in it and let the grease fall onto the parchment.

I have a rack that I put over top of a sheet pan. I can cook a lot of bacon in a short about of time. It also frees up the stove top for other things. I don't save my bacon grease unless I have an imdediate need for it like German potato salad.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

My parents and grandparents both always kept a jar of bacon grease under the kitchen sink. Early in our marriage I emptied bacon into in an old spaghetti jar, and stuck it under the sink. My new bride was mortified one day when she opened the cabinet and discovered it. She thought a previous tenant had left a jar of something there to spoil. Since then, the only time I save bacon grease is in situations like Big Owl describes where I have an immediate need for it.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My parents and grandparents both always kept a jar of bacon grease under the kitchen sink. Early in our marriage I emptied bacon into in an old spaghetti jar, and stuck it under the sink. My new bride was mortified one day when she opened the cabinet and discovered it. She thought a previous tenant had left a jar of something there to spoil. Since then, the only time I save bacon grease is in situations like Big Owl describes where I have an immediate need for it.
I remember both my parents and grandparents saving the bacon, and sausage grease. We also used lard. I remember the white plastic tubs.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Who does not like

BLT sandwiches ?

Club sandwiches ?

BAT (Bacon, Avocado, & Tomato) sandwiches ?
I'm a fan of all of these, although I just cannot bring myself to order a BLT or BAT at restaurants because I think they are just too expensive for the limited ingredients you get. Clubs are different though, they usually include enough to make the cost worth it.

I cook it the same way now. I keep the grease in a can in the freezer. I have a regular grease can for everything else, and a separate bacon grease can. I substitute bacon grease for a lot of things.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm going with AG. I can easily make a BLT at home anytime. It's often dinner. Club I can't do. I'm usually missing one of the other ingredients, but not bacon.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Umm you know you can cook bacon in the oven. IMHO it's actually better.

Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment. Lay strips of bacon on it making sure the pieces aren't overlapping. Bake for 12 minutes, check for desired doneness, bake a few minutes more if needed. Works best with thicker cuts of bacon, not the cheap thin stuff.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
We had bacon and eggs for dinner last night. Yumm!

Also, I save the bacon grease in a cute little vintage canister next to the stove and use it to pan fry (is that the right phrase when it's cooking with oil, not submerging in it?) veggies and things. This weekend, I used some of the bacon grease to add to a pot roast and it was fantastic!

I like bacon; I like it a lot.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I wanted to make bacon this weekend and went to get the pack out of the fridge. It was moldy and ruined. How in the world did I forget bacon this long? I felt bad.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I have a rectangular bacon press. Make the bacon, then put some in a grilled cheese and make that in the pan and with the press- so good!

terraplnr

Cyburbian
On Saturday mornings when we have all the kids, it's bacon, eggs, and hash browns or biscuits. I've cooked it in the oven before but usually use the skillets since we use them anyway for the eggs and hash browns (multiple skillets needed due to four bacon-eating boys). My fiance saves and reuses bacon grease for cooking things.

The greasy spoon diner across the street from my office offers thick cut bacon for breakfast, it smells delicious coming into work. And the french restaurant on the corner starts frying bacon right around 4:30 p.m. Why must the universe torture me so. . .