• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 The Intro...

DoneGoneBlue

Hello fellow planners and cyburbanites. I can't think of any other place I would rather be on a Sunday morning than here on the message board. This is actually my first ever posting, I just happened to stumble across this website yesterday and thought I'd stick around. I'm an urban & regional planning grad. student at Eastern Washington University, I also work for the Spokane Historic Preservation Office as a project planner. I am curious to what you guys think (in general) of the relationship between planning and historic preservation. Any comments? I'm thinking of pursuing more of a histo presto route, career wise, versus a more general urban planning one. Later...

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Welcome. I have a strong interest in preservation, as do many of us. In a small town, the planner does everything. We just completed a survey of the older parts of town, and became a Certified Local Government last year. My problem is finding motivated persons to serve on the preservation board.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
DoneGoneBlue said:
I am curious to what you guys think (in general) of the relationship between planning and historic preservation. Any comments?

There might be a Ball State Alumnus in the "Throbing Brain" that can answer that for you.

Welcome from among the many Midwesterners.

DoneGoneBlue

Thanx for the replies. As to Mike's response, that's great you are now a CLG and I would add that finding qualified people to serve on the board seems to always be an issue, it is a minor issue for us right now. And Jeff, I did not know Spokane was always on Unsolved Mysteries. I'm a newbie to the town so I don't have an answer to it, but after being here for a fairly short amount of time it does not surprise me--the city has somewhat of a "mysterious" feel to it.

H

Cyburbian
Historic preservation is very important in keeping cultural monuments around for future generations. However, the biggest problem I have with most preservation groups is, just because it is old doesn’t make it historical.

So basically what I am saying is that preservation is great and there is a thin line between too much and too little. Especialy when it comes to houses. People have to actually live in these places, sometimes they are denied a paint color or a porch because it is not “historically” correct and I find this too much of a regulation. Also I have seen downtown buildings sit vacant because they are historical and no one wants to touch it because it would cost too much money to meet the historical guidelines. So instead they go out to the ‘burbs and gets “build to suit” and the vacant historical building continues to rot.

Oh, and I am also saying welcome. So, welcome! :b: :)

DoneGoneBlue

Hey H. Yeah, a lot of people share your viewpoints towards preservation. There is a fine line between what I call "hysterical" preservation versus "historical" preservation. There are, however, many benefits of historic preservation that go beyond preserving/saving cultural heritage. As far as regulations go, for better or worse, guidelines are needed. Preservationists, forward thinking ones at least, are flexible and easy to work with though. Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Combine Mike and H's comments to get mine. We try to balance historic preservation on the one hand with the need to adapt on the other hand. It is a tricky situation where we sometimes win; sometimes lose.

Rem

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome. I'm sure you will find enough heritage focussed discussions here to keep you amused.

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome!

We don't really care for preservation much around these parts, except for it's role in economic development & heritage tourism.

;)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Zoning Goddess said:
Howdy from Florida!

I used to have relatives in Spokane. They lived on an island in Spirit Lake. It was a great place to visit.

ZG - the last time I checked Spirit Lake was in Idaho. Was it moved from Washington before I got here?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
ZG - the last time I checked Spirit Lake was in Idaho. Was it moved from Washington before I got here?

No it is in Iowa.....

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:

The relatives we visited lived on an island in the middle of a lake called Spirit Lake. All I know is, my mom said it was near Spokane. It's been a few years, so I guess the place could've teleported to Idaho or Iowa...

martini

Cyburbian
'allo and welcome from yet another midwesterner(yearning to be a westerner as of this moment though). I assume you're a blue grass fan on top of being a planner?