• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The invasion has begun!

JNL

Cyburbian
Californians Are Leading a Wave of Immigration to New Zealand

Dunno about the bit about the coastline 'basically feeding animals'! In fact there are many developed coastal areas.

Includes a nice description of my city:

"With a San Francisco vibe, New Zealand's capital is a pleasing jumble of cutting-edge architecture and Victorian storefronts clustered around a harbor teeming with commercial fishing vessels and a fleet of single-masted sailboats. Every Kiwi seems to own one. Fewer than 500,000 people live in the Wellington area, with many in the houses densely packed on the city's rolling hills.

At night, the downtown streets are alive with people strolling among the dozens of cafes, restaurants, theaters and clubs. The absence of a street-wise hustle or a sense of urban danger is as remarkable as the variety of cuisines."

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Hmmm, Californians don't seem to like their state too much. They are also the largest (not including Mexico) immigrant population in Texas.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Jessie-J said:
Hmmm, Californians don't seem to like their state too much. They are also the largest (not including Mexico) immigrant population in Texas.
Largest group moving to Idaho, too.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Wow. I had no idea. Interesting article. Sounds like large investment has been by the uber-rich. Can't imagine that buying 10K acres of pristine land goes unnoticed. You don't mention any personal experience or opinions. Have any you care to share?

JNL

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
You don't mention any personal experience or opinions. Have any you care to share?
Yes I was being carefully neutral... no personal experience as I live in a built up city. Opinions? I would be concerned if there were no controls on foreign investors (from any country) buying large tracts of land. We have some limited control at present and I think we need to ensure that we preserve important landscapes and conservation areas. We have the Queen's Chain to give some protection for shore access and the government is currently reviewing this.

We're currently experiencing a booming property market as people, some of them foreign investors, snap up coastal properties and this is forcing up prices and making home ownership unattainable for some. In one region house prices leapt 60% last year. This concerns me.

I think some New Zealanders get upset when overseas buyers buy expensive properties and just use them as holiday homes. They're not contributing to the local economy or integrating into the local community when they do that. And it rubs in how wealthy they are.

So basically I'm not against foreign investment, but I think it needs to be managed carefully so that it, and the land, doesn't get out of control.

The Irish One

Add Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona to the list as well. What can I say, the California that was once cherished is just about dead. I'm telling you, there is something wrong with this state and it's bigger than the recall. New Zealand sounds good to me, Hmmm, I think I've got an idea!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Since they have finished off invading Utah and Colorado, why not NZ.

Rem

Cyburbian
a number of private organizations growing increasingly agitated by the Kiwi Land Rush. If the American presence isn't quite as resented as it is in, say, some parts of Iraq, it is striking a nerve.
Just think how much more unpopular they would be if California had a competitive Rugby team.

donk

Cyburbian
The germans are doing the same thing here. Buying the best waterfront properties and farmland for way more than "local" market value and setting up little family compunds that they come visit for 2-3 weeks a year.

Southern NB is like that with Americans from the New England States.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
We here have a lovely case... some stinkin' gringo (read in mexican accent ;)) has already bought like one third of a province of my region, he's making some sort of a park or nature reserve. That area is almost completely uninhabitted, so it's not much of a problem.
What I hate the most about people here is that they look up upon anybody that comes from a developed country, and raise him/her like a friggin demi-god(dess).
I just can't believe people here are starting to celebrate Halloween... when there's no cultural base for such celebration.... the candy industry must be very happy with the introduction of halloween here... now they got two times of the year with great profits, Easter and Halloween...

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
...I just can't believe people here are starting to celebrate Halloween... when there's no cultural base for such celebration.... the candy industry must be very happy with the introduction of halloween here... now they got two times of the year with great profits, Easter and Halloween...
Hey Skel, you are really sounding kind of salty today! You should think of it more as an oportunity to PARTY! theres no gifts, no dressing up in uncomfortable formal clothing, family you have to mesh with. Just fun and goofiness all around. Have fun with it. Its the one holiday that is not heavy!