• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The Joys of Home Ownership

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Denver conference has to hurry up and get over - when I get back I'm putting in an offer on this baby. Built in 1895, five bedrooms, some updates, but plenty of sweat equity to go!

For Prudence and jtfortin - It's located west of Marquette just east of the McKinley Street historic distict in the "gentrifying belt" west of Marquette University.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Are you sure you should wait that long to make an offer?

When will the house warming party be?
You did say B&B right!

Good Luck.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
It's nice...but it's no loft ;)

I'm surprised you're waiting 'till next week to put an offer in...is the housing market that slow, or does this place have some problems that is scaring off the average buyer?

Lovely looking place though.

BKM

Cyburbian
Pretty cool! Love the stonework.

The Ikea furniture will look perfect in the living room :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
BKM said:
Love the stonework.
[/B]
Umm. Thats not masonry. It's asphalt shingle pressed in a brick pattern. It will be gone in time. The original trim work and detilaing are still intact, and I'm hoping they didn't remove the original lap board siding.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
bturk said:
The Denver conference has to hurry up and get over - when I get back I'm putting in an offer on this baby. Built in 1895, five bedrooms, some updates, but plenty of sweat equity to go!

For Prudence and jtfortin - It's located west of Marquette just east of the McKinley Street historic distict in the "gentrifying belt" west of Marquette University.

Looks nice.

There are so many houses with a lot of potential in that area. Plus, if my estimates are correct you are walking distance from Ricky's on State ;)

What street is it on? Kilbourn?

BKM

Cyburbian
Stonework

Oops. You're right. Definitely not "stone." Saw the pale color and assumed "limestone."

Still, it will be a great project house.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: The Joys of Home Ownership

jtfortin said:

Looks nice.

There are so many houses with a lot of potential in that area. Plus, if my estimates are correct you are walking distance from Ricky's on State ;)

What street is it on? Kilbourn?
It's on 23rd and McKinley, between State Street and Vliet. An improving neighborhood, but I would not walk home from Ricky's after night fall.

kms

Cyburbian
Insulbrick? It's a common "home improvement" material here, from the 1940's or so. It's the aluminum/vinyl siding of that time.

Good luck with the offer!

biscuit

Cyburbian
KMS is right, the brick shingles are (were?) a popular improvement around here. We have some neighborhoods were it covers most of the houses. You didn't mention anything about the interior condition but with a house that age ou may have to re-wire, re-plumb and insulate the entire thing. I would love to get my hands on a nice fixer-upper like that. Maybe one of these days. Good luck.

buffy

For a house of this vintage i would be sure to have it existenstially cleansed of any lasting 19th century wickedness.
Seek out a spiritual advisor, or feng shui consultant.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The faux brick shingles were popular around here too unfortunately. Not as popular as fake lannon stone ("permastone"), but a scourge none the less...

As for feng shui, I don't think so... Nobody gets to feng my shui.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
buffy said:
For a house of this vintage i would be sure to have it existenstially cleansed of any lasting 19th century wickedness.
Seek out a spiritual advisor, or feng shui consultant.
I think the 21st century wickedness that will occur once bturk takes possession will more than cancel out any of the ancient stuff ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Back in the hunt...

BLARG. By the time I got back from Denver, settled down, called the realtor back, she had an accepted offer with minimal contingencies. *sigh* Maybe its a sign to keep looking for that loft...

kms

Cyburbian
There's always a chance that the other party won't buy the house for one reason or another....let the realtor know to contact you if the deal falls through.

When we first inquired about our house, it was under agreement, but their financing fell through. We looked at it and bought it the day the deal was broken. Yes, a $95,000 impulse buy!

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Oh my god, to get a house for $95K would be a miracle. Where I live in Massachusetts, even small, shabby ranch houses and Cape Cods sell for $330 and up.

bturk, too bad you didn't get that house. It looked like it had character.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My wife and I went to look at a loft on the weekend. We both really liked it...but it was still a little bit out of our price range. We need to decide if we want to settle for less but get out of the rental game, or hold on for a bit and try to build up more of a downpayment.

donk

Cyburbian
I am going to make everyone here sick.

I paid $12 000 CDN for my house, and it does not have wheels. It needs lots of work, some of which has been done. On a good day it may be worth about $25 000 when I'm done, but it is good enough for me.

The good

Built 1870-1880 of wood stolen from a ship mill that used to be about 2 blocks from my house.
Mortgage payment = $180 / month, only 12 more payments and it is all mine.
Property taxes = $300 / year
Size = 900 square feet

The bad

Yellow vinyl siding
Vinyl horizontal windows
Used to have a filled in swimming pool in the backyard, i had to have the concrete pad removed.
The decorations and layout when I moved in, in tehprocess of fixing this.
The wiring museum I found when gutting it. Aluminum, tar paper insulators, live wires that are not capped and go no where.
The foundation that was added in the 70's ruins the proportions of the building.
Needds a new roof, unfortunately, the four layers of shingles are going to cost more to dispose of then redoing teh roof wil cost.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Greenescapist said:
Oh my god, to get a house for $95K would be a miracle. Where I live in Massachusetts, even small, shabby ranch houses and Cape Cods sell for $330 and up.
I don't necessarily want to live in RI, this far from the Boston job market. But there is no way I can make the leap across the state line. If I sold my little RI house, I couldn't even buy a trailer up there.

SGB

Cyburbian
We are in the process of selling a mid size late Victorian home in a Village setting and a rather affordable real estate market for about $88K (U.S.).

To buy a similar house in our new location's market would cost $200K or more.

So we are looking at primarily newer homes (less than 20 yrs) with a larger lot for somewhere in the middle of the two.

Goodbye house character, hello riding lawn mower.....

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I bought this last Wednesday at 13,000 less than the appraisal.

carlomarx

Cyburbian
I would like to contribute for bandwidth, but

I too just bought a house. I love having my own garden! I don't know what to do with a 3-bedroom house, a shed, a basement... I couldn't furnish my last apartment (minimalist living or apathy?), but suddenly I have great dreams of growing vegetables, getting a dog, decorating, etc. ...now, if I could just get that girlfriend situation in the works...

Check out my house! Dig the arches! http://www.fiveoakshomes.com/Jayshouse.htm

Cheers.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
congrats to both of you! as for my deal, it was off the market by the time i got back from vacation. the search continues. prudence may have a good lead on finish-yourself loft units iun downtown, selling for about $60,000, then you do all the work. Sounds awesome. The cheapest finished unit you can buy is about $210,000, so sweat equity can go a long way!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
As long as we're showing off, I received a very nice compliment on my yard from a passing cyclist the other day. Here's a pic from up near the road, with my prairie patch in front.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Here's a second pic of the front yard, this time showing off my favorite tree, the Great Old Oak.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
to carlomarx

nice little bungalow. I also like the arches and I particularly like the little flip at the bottom of the eaves. Its amazing how much a few little detail flourishes can do for a simple design

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The joys of gardening. This year I want to redo most of the gardens, beyond just the annual maintenance. I finished two of nine, and started two more. All told, I have just over 1,000 square feet of flower gardens. Of course, that leaves out the prairie and the vegetable garden, which are about 1,000 square feet each. (To be honest, I am not putting much effort into the vegetables this year, just acorn squash and canteloupe, along with the usual fruits.)

It has gone pretty well, so far. The weather has been cool, and the rain has been good for the new or transplanted plants. Unfortunately, the mosquitos have now come out. I may have to try one of those new carbon dioxide mosquito eliminators. Anybody tried one yet?

carlomarx

Cyburbian
thanks, mendelman

I think I'm going to try for a "Casablanca"-style interior. Paint it a sandy color, install some heavy iron-looking light fixtures, vintage furniture... It's my absolute favorite movie... does anyone else just LOVE Casablanca, or am I alone here?

I agree, though, about the details. The little flip gives a cute look to the exterior.

Cheers.

PS: Stumpf, your lawn is gorgeous. I'm a big fan of the citronella. You know, the ones where it burns like a stick of incense, but in a spiral? Those are cool. I asked Keanu if he though so too. His response: "Whoa."

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Greenescapist said:
We have having a sale on housing right now. The market in the city is crazy low right now (as in you can get a nice 6 bed room, in the historic district for under 100 K) If you wanted a row home, with some minor repair, those run about 35K or so. I would buy a home, but I am going to see about getting out of this city in a few years.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: thanks, mendelman

carlomarx said:
does anyone else just LOVE Casablanca, or am I alone here?
Incredible movie. Very powerful, in the context of its time (WW II). Among the best handful of movies ever made, even without any nudity in it.

donk

Cyburbian
If you are looking for some affordable housing check these bargains out.

173sign1-med.jpg

OR

173affordable_houseing2.jpg

These are real place and real photos from my area.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
We have having a sale on housing right now. The market in the city is crazy low right now (as in you can get a nice 6 bed room, in the historic district for under 100 K) If you wanted a row home, with some minor repair, those run about 35K or so. I would buy a home, but I am going to see about getting out of this city in a few years.
Where did you say you lived again?

donk

Cyburbian
If you are looking for affordabale housing (that is habitable) here are some MLS listings from my area.

http://www.mls.ca/mls/listing.asp?gt=z&gc=543&L=1&T=RR&rType=HO&RBEM=0&RBEX=25&RBAM=0&RBAX=25&RPM=0&RPX=99999999&RJOIN=AND&PV=6&sort=A&D=0&oid2=0&oid3=0&oid4=0&oid5=0&oid6=0&oid7=0&oid8=0&oid9=0&oid10=0&coid=0&propCount=70&pageType=S&page=1

As for historic propeties, there is a house for sale right now I am tempted to buy and gut teh wood work out of it. there is probably 70- 80 k in detail / finish work in the house and probably another 20 in reclaimed lumber and they only want 90 for it.

iamme

Cyburbian
Instead of looking in the Marquette area try looking in Riverwest. I live in Riverwest and I love it, ride my bike almost everywhere and its close to Downtown, the East Side, and the houses are great. If you want a fixer upper or a beutifully maintained house, you can find it. Good Luck house hunting.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Riverwest is great, and the prices are still affordable. But I work in the southwest suburbs so even the near west side can be a long reverse commute. Add to that the pending interchange reconstruction and going up there just wont make sense for a year or two.