• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

The Labor Day retrospective thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So Labor Day weekend was okay, overall. I enjoyed the bucket of chicken we had at the picnic in the park last night, and Junior managed to catch a 6 lb. catfish after dinner. I also enjoyed seeing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon LED show at a nearby planetarium. I didn't get to grill this weekend, but we did have a nice dinner at a German restaurant after the Floyd show.

How did you all spend your Labor Day weekend?

Last edited:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Baseball game! Good seats, mid 80's at first pitch, and a nice breeze. And the home team won!

Movies! Saw Angel has Fallen as a matinee. Definitely a matinee movie - some good/cute/appropriate parts, but a few green screen issues and some dialog problems.

Beer! State law now allows breweries to sell beer to be consumed later (ie like a grocery store). SO we checked it out and got some to take home.

Overall a nice Holiday weekend. Wish I could repeat again soon.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
Shined up Shane-boy's car. He calls it "The Prince of Spain". 2004 Infiniti he bought from his older sister. He's driving it to high school now and picking his girlfriend up, etc., so it's got to look good. Me and the kids spent the day doing that, getting some used books for fun, and eating tacos while driving around in said "Prince of Spain". After BLTs at dinner it was basically a school night. Gym, homework and the first chapter of "Turn of the Screw". Kind of a low-key day.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
At the beach house of course.

The weather was great on Saturday and Sunday, but threatened storms most of the day on Sunday which finally arrived around 5pm. We did hit the beach all three days. I grilled burgers on Friday, smoked chicken leg quarters on Saturday, and grilled steaks Sunday.

Finished pressure washing the deck, hopefully next weekend will be dry so I can seal it.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a good Labor Day weekend - we have friends who visit us every year for this weekend since we moved to Maine in 2002, and before that, we camped with them every summer.

Their eldest daughter got engaged on the annual hike up a mountain - her Mom and I walked into the scene at just the right moment - it was so beautiful

So I jammed my summer into one weekend - lobsters, popovers, hikes - all good - completely exhausted at work today

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I didn't get as much work done on the house (paint prep, window glazing, yadda) as I hoped as it turned out to be rather hot and humid. I did try a new glazing compound (new to me, anyway) that puts the stuff you buy down at the local Ace to shame. Which is good, because I've got a fair amount more to do. :D

Planit

Cyburbian
Kind of a weird weekend because we kept waiting for someone to make up their minds on plans. However we did accomplish a few things:

Yard work, mow grass & baseball game (we're in the MiBL playoffs)
Grocery shopping, finished book & grilled steaks and yellow squash
Soccer, detailed car & lounged in friend's pool (yes they were there too)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Saw Angel has Fallen as a matinee.
I know a lot of movies require some suspension of belief to enjoy them, but I can't go as far as this movie asks in the previews.

We went for a 30-mile bike ride on a pretty trail along the Allegheny River, and rode again for a Poker Run yesterday.
I got a couple of rides in too.

We made no plans going into the weekend. I did the Critical Mass ride on Friday night. Saturday was kind of lazy. I was supposed to ride in the morning but didn't drag my arse outta bed. I ended up mowing the lawn though. Sunday my son and daughter-on-law came over for dinner and we also invited our next-door neighbors. They seem like nice enough people but I feel like if I'm not careful I could end up getting sucked into their lives which involves a bit of drama. For instance they adopted a German Shepherd from the pound. It's already escaped their yard once, so they keep it inside. The first time they did, it destroyed a window blind. So they got a dog crate. First time they left her in the crate on Sunday morning while they went to church, they came home to find that the dog destroyed the plastic tray in the crate. The second time they left the dog was when they had dinner with us. And the dog started literally destroying the crate itself, pulling the wire welds apart. He's older (mid-70s) so I helped him get the new shade up, and also helped him get the crate back together and put in the box so he could return it.

I'm afraid to ask if they took the crate back because he might pull me back in. He's a nice guy but he needs help, and if I help him it always seems to take an hour or two out of my day.

I did a pub crawl ride on Sunday night. We typically start at a brewery, make two bar stops, then return to the brewery. In honor of the holiday we actually did 4 stops. It was a long night, but fun.

Labor Day itself was just a lazy day; didn't do much.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Took the kids to Hurricane Harbor (big water park) on Saturday.

Volunteered at church, got a nice workout, and had a planning meeting for upcoming dance performances on Sunday.

Had some friends over to swim on Monday, plus grilled tri-tip, did a bunch of laundry, and got my bike and my son's bikes fixed.

DVD

Cyburbian
Is it appropriate or wrong to take the kids to hurricane harbor when a hurricane is about to hit? ;)

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I was young and really stupid, we used to go body surfing the day after a hurricane until the lifeguards would throw us out - the undertow would be crazy and really slam you down into the sand, but if you didn't panic, it would drag you backwards and then pop you back up and then you would just diagonally swim back to shore - that's crazy when I think of it now

Planit

Cyburbian
When I was young and really stupid, we used to go body surfing the day after a hurricane until the lifeguards would throw us out - the undertow would be crazy and really slam you down into the sand, but if you didn't panic, it would drag you backwards and then pop you back up and then you would just diagonally swim back to shore - that's crazy when I think of it now

We did the same before & after storms on the Gulf coast. I don't know if / how we were told to deal with the undertow, but we knew not to fight the current. It sure was fun though.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We used to do that as kids in Lake Michigan. Little did we realize then how dangerous rip currents could be. There's been a record number of drowning fatalities in Lake Mich. this year.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Is it appropriate or wrong to take the kids to hurricane harbor when a hurricane is about to hit? ;)
It could have gotten ugly if I had brag-posted on FB about our sunny, calm, rain- and wind-free "hurricane harbor" day but fortunately I didn't. :halo:

Veloise

Cyburbian
After doing the same thing revolving around the Mackinac Bridge walk (camping, cycling, etc.) I ventured out...
Historic re-enactment (with traditional dance!)

IMG_4863.JPG this is from my modeling-the-new-frock pics

Drove back as fast as I could
IMG_20190901_172049132_HDR.jpg

to do this
IMG_20190902_182708_650.jpg

and this
Screenshot_20190903-111539.png

and this

Screenshot_20190902-171852.png

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Thursday and Friday up at the beach then back home for a few days as my oldest had a birthday party to go to on Saturday. We were going to go back up to the beach on Sunday but it was cold (only in the 60s up there) and rainy all day so we stayed home and I took my daughter to an arcade/museum that she's been bugging me to take her back to for months. Monday the weather was nicer so we went back to the beach for a few more hours and then stopped at my parents' house on the way back home so my kids could climb around in the barn looking for the new kittens. We could hear them but never did find them. I also got in nearly 45 miles of running as we had great weather for it.

Our oldest had been amped up to 1000 and ready for school for about the past week+ and she was up 45 minutes earlier than she needed to be yesterday morning. I continued my tradition of making fresh cookies on the first day and made two batches of chocolate chip cookies yesterday. Then this morning was the first day of preschool (the "4s class") for our 3 year old. She was not anywhere near as thrilled about being up early as her older sister was but I went with my wife to see her into the school this morning and once we got there she was very excited and ready to start playing.

I'm back at work now so my long Labor Day weekend is unfortunately over.

DVD

Cyburbian
My wife's aunt and cousin came over for a visit. Cousin was slightly blitzed. My oldest daughter was fascinated watching a drunk person in action.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I went skimboarding on Nauset Beach the day Fabian passed by the Cape many years ago. Double-overhead shore break that would suck you all the way down the beach. Lost a board that day.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I had a rainy Labor Day and used it to clean up my basement shop. I can see the entire surface of my workbench again.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went skimboarding on Nauset Beach the day Fabian passed by the Cape many years ago. Double-overhead shore break that would suck you all the way down the beach. Lost a board that day.
Love Nauset beach! One of my best friends grew up in Eastham, off Salt Pond Bay so I know that area well - Coast Guard Beach is great too

We used to go to Plum Island post Hurricane for our shenanigans

Rygor

Cyburbian
Went up to Flagstaff on Friday right after daughter (now 5) got out of Kindergarten. She mostly likes just going because she gets to swim in an indoor pool at the hotel but we really go to escape the 110 degree temps in Phoenix and enjoy what the town and surrounding areas have to offer. Drove up to Arizona Snowbowl in the San Francisco peaks where they have a nice setup at the base of the big ski lift with shops, restaurant, kids activities, tube slide, and you can ride the ski lift up to 11,500 feet to near the top of the mountain and enjoy the view and much cooler temps (was about 65 degrees there). Came back Saturday evening only to head back up to Sedona for a day trip on Monday since wifey had a friend in town from Canada, eh? Had to show her the Sedona red rocks, hit up Jerome (cool artsy former mining town on a mountainside), and did some wine tasting. Pretty great weekend.