• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Laefest Site Site

Cardinal

Cyburbian
There have been many requests for Laefests lately, with some proposed sites, or at least areas. I'm up for a road trip. What cities would people gather in? Here are a few ideas, let's go ahead and try to schedule a couple.

Washington DC. The APA will be meeting here. Most of us won't attend. Some will. Others might at least be willing to come in for a day or two to hang with their Cyburbia buds.

Chicago. There are a lot of Cyburbians within a 3-4 hour drive.

Someplace gritty. Detroit. Cincinnati. Toledo. Hmmm...?

Someplace unreal. Madison. Ann Arbor. Charlottesville.

Someplace beach-y. Nag's Head. Monterey. Traverse City. Clearwater.

Someplace ethnic. Quebec City. Cheektowaga. Vancouver BC.

A famed planning city. Portland. Houston. Savannah.

Party town! New Orleans. Las Vegas. Salt Lake City.

The other kind of wild. Yosemite. Canyonlands. Acadia.

Someplace nobody ever heard of. Studley, KS. Needmore, WV. St. Paul, MN.

We know we'll all end up there anyway. Leavenworth. Alcatraz Island. Folsom.

Add to the list or start making your choices!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I vote for the Chicago choice (obviously). There are about 15-20 of use in easy distance, and there are a ton of great things to do and bars to hop.

Cardinal said:
Alcatraz Island.
Sure, let's all meet there. I volunteer to head The Welcome Committee. :-D (Of course, there is also a lovely little town nearby called "Fairfield" that I would be more than willing to make the trip to. But "Bay Area" is generally "good" for me. :-D )

I don't really Do road trips without a really good reason. Traveling makes me ill and really kicks my a$$, big time. But I make a great Hostess, what with 15 years with Army Family support groups, etc. After I ditch my extreme introvert husband, who thinks "company" is an invasion of his privacy, we can have a Party at Michele's, everyone invited. <cackle>

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How about Indy for Region IV Conference October 13-15, 2004?

JNL

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
I vote for the Chicago choice (obviously). There are about 15-20 of use in easy distance, and there are a ton of great things to do and bars to hop.
When???? If it's mid-year sometime, I might be able to make it. How cool would that be? But maybe no-one will understand my Kiwi accent :-D

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I don't think I'd be able to make the national conference (sigh), but ... there's local Alefests. If something takes place on a Saturday, I can do anyplace within four or five hours from Cleveland; Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Columbus, or possibly Chicago if I floor it.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
How about the something in the northwest? Seattle, Portland or Spokane work for me (until I relocate--looking actively). Boy, have I seen better days.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Buffalo! We'll meet at Rumpy's Rampage.

JNL, if you come to Chicago I have a free night coming at the Hyatt Regency, where Michigan Avenue crosses the Chicago River. You'll love it. Since I stay there about 20 nights a year, they treat me pretty well when it comes to giving rooms looking out over Lake Michigan, or down Michigan Avenue, like this.

11NY-Night.jpg

State Street, the Miracle Mile, the Sears and Hancock Towers, Navy Pier, Grant Park, the Art Institute, the Auditorium, Chicago Theater, and much more are all within walking distance. I'll drag along Chet, Repo and Greenescapist to meet up with Mendelman, Decatur, Jordan and whoever else we can find.

For those Cyburbians along the Missouri River, I'm heading out that way in April. I'll be picking up the Santa Fe Trail in Kansas City and following it into New Mexico. I'm on a mission to meet the most Cyburbians.

donk

Cyburbian
I'd be up for toledo/detroit/cleveland/buffalo/ann arbour on a saturday. Basically anything within 5-6 hour drive of Toronto.

An advantage of detroit for those of you north of the border, is that your dollar goes farther in windsor. ;)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Don't ya'll ever do like normal Yankees and come to Orlando to escape the cold weather? Dang, that would be a good place for a lae-fest!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:
When???? If it's mid-year sometime, I might be able to make it. How cool would that be? But maybe no-one will understand my Kiwi accent :-D
Does that me your going to come visit me... ah us? Just e-mail me to let me know what time you want me to pick you up. I will be holding a sign with your name on it!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Buffalo! We'll meet at Rumpy's Rampage.
I mentioned something about a Rust-belt area Ale-fest in
this thread. Hmmm, the canadian ballet, your dollar does go further. But if there was a lae-fest in Buffalo, I know of a real dive that will scare most of you cyburbanites :p ;-)

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
:b: I have a couple votes. My first choice would be "A squared" aka Ann Arbor

Then Chicago, Detroit, Toledo are ties for second. My ability to go to either of these locations would depend on the date. :b:

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Guess it's looking like PlannerGirl and I are the only ones meeting up at APA in DC....

Northeast locations would work for me.....now that I'm divorced, I'll have to try to put together a New England/Eastern Laefest for the folks round these parts (as few of us as there are) ;) Perhaps later in the spring or summer.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
michaelskis said:
Does that me your going to come visit me... ah us? Just e-mail me to let me know what time you want me to pick you up. I will be holding a sign with your name on it!
*sniff* *sniff* Do I smell the pungent odour of male desperation?

Like Donk, I can do anything within a reasonable drive of Toronto. Heck, Toronto would be a great place for a laefest. CIP conference is here this year for all the Canuck planners out there...

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I'll drag along Chet, Repo and Greenescapist to meet up with Mendelman, Decatur, Jordan and whoever else we can find
I'm in, just let me know where and when. Don't forget Boiker, Pete-rock, Solipsa Steveanne and the Duke.

boiker

Cyburbian
I think I'll be able to swing one within 4 hours. In the middle of relocating however...so the dates gotta work.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Another vote for the Chicago area, or a second to JNA's suggestion for meeting at the Indy conference in October. Any excuse for a roadtrip, especially now that the weather is getting warmer.

Should we turn this into a poll, so we can get a clear picture of who can go where?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
*sniff* *sniff* Do I smell the pungent odour of male desperation?
Nope... it is called being a gentleman... the odor you smell is something that you stepped in on the way into the office.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The Alternative APA Conference, a/k/a Laefest International! o:)
DATELINEThe breakaway republic of Cyburbia announced today that the organization has formally split with the APA and will conduct its first conference in Chicago. Cyburbia President-for-Life Dan Tasman was quoted as saying that mature beverages will flow while Cyburbians tackle practical urban and regional planning issues and propose a workable solution to sprawl, all while APA simply collects ever-larger dues....30....

I'd fly up to Chicago if JNL can make it, (figuring that would be the biggest draw), as long as it doesn't conflict with the planned family vacation in late June. Probably also will make the Region IV in Indy/October, but have not gotten any literature on it yet.

nerudite

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
How about the something in the northwest? Seattle, Portland or Spokane work for me (until I relocate--looking actively). Boy, have I seen better days.
Elmo and I could probably make it to Montana if it is over a weekend. Idaho's a bit far though.

We MAY be taking a roadtrip in May, which will lead us down to California for some time at my parents' cabin outside Yosemite. So a Yosemite laefest may be good too (or the Bay Area, since I may be visiting my sister in the East Bay).

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
nerudite said:
We MAY be taking a roadtrip in May
If your route takes you thru north Idaho, give a shout and stop for a beer. I'd be happy to show you around.

nerudite

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
If your route takes you thru north Idaho, give a shout and stop for a beer. I'd be happy to show you around.
That's a good possibility... I want to take routes I haven't been on before (which is becoming increasingly hard to find!), and I haven't been up in the panhandle yet. If we don't do it in May, we will probably go sometime in the early fall. But since most of the scheduling is between Elmo and his ex-wife due to kid watching, I just need to sit here and be patient :(

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Guess it's looking like PlannerGirl and I are the only ones meeting up at APA in DC....
I love to get together in DC the week of APA since it will be my last week in the area.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Trail Nazi said:
I love to get together in DC the week of APA since it will be my last week in the area.
Great! :) If I remember correctly, we may be getting together on Sat. evening the 25th....I'll check w/ PG.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
I mentioned something about a Rust-belt area Ale-fest in
this thread. Hmmm, the canadian ballet, your dollar does go further. But if there was a lae-fest in Buffalo, I know of a real dive that will scare most of you cyburbanites :p ;-)
Race you to the bottom! I bet I know worse! :-D

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Count me in on any Ale fest in the Chicago area !

Also, if someone is from out of town and needs a flat space to crash, just let me know.

JNL

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
I'd like to... going to suss out this weekend if the budget can handle extra stops in Chicago and Toronto.

Yay!!!!! :-D

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Cardinal said:
For those Cyburbians along the Missouri River, I'm heading out that way in April. I'll be picking up the Santa Fe Trail in Kansas City and following it into New Mexico. I'm on a mission to meet the most Cyburbians.
If your trip brings you near here, let me know. I'm 35 miles East of the Mo

nerudite

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I'd like to... going to suss out this weekend if the budget can handle extra stops in Chicago and Toronto.

Yay!!!!! :-D
Why don't you just go on the Great Cyburbia Roadtrip? Just travel around the country(ies) and flop in people's guestrooms/on people's couches. We have a guestroom, btw. :)

JNL

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Why don't you just go on the Great Cyburbia Roadtrip? Just travel around the country(ies) and flop in people's guestrooms/on people's couches. We have a guestroom, btw. :)
I would love to... but I was only planning on 6 weeks off work. I need to book it soon - suddenly I am busy at work and deadlines are starting to interfere with my plans! :-c

Current plan (not definite yet) is

NZ -> Chicago (? days)
Toronto (? days)
Europe (5)
-Sweden (6)
-England/Ireland (6)
-Germany (7)
-Spain (5)
-Italy (5)
Thailand (3)
Bali (2)
Sydney (3)
Home

Might have to start my own thread... JNL's Great Cyburbia Road Trip! (though it won't really be a road trip...coz I'll be flying)

Um, where is Edmonton in relation to... uh oh, knowledge of US geography needs a bit of work :)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
I don't know this place is kind of bad. Stuff legends are made of B-)
Do the cockroaches use the miller lite clock for a heat source to keep warm? :-D

By the way, I just taped the first keg from the first batch from my new brew system. Everything except for one thing turned out perfect. I was using an oack stir bracket that got scorched during the mash process. So I have what would be a perfect batch of check pilsner with an astringent taste due to the over carmalization of some of the wort.

I have a machinest fixing that part for me now. I could have another batch ready for the next lae fest. This one has to stay for private consumption only :) Unless you were still curious despite its imperfection.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Do the cockroaches use the miller lite clock for a heat source to keep warm? :-D
No, they use some other place to keep warm;-). It gets worse as the show goes on.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
The Canadian Ballet of course:-D
:8: There's a place in France where the n..... :8:

I would be intersted in a Rust-belt Laefest. The only problem is that my weekends are pretty much full between now and the wedding in mid-June. Although, I could ask the SO to tag along if she wanted to. I can hear the conversation now...

SO: You want to go where for what?
Me: To _______ for a cyburbia get together.
SO: What?
Me: It's where you go and get drunk with a bunch of people you know through the internet.
SO: :-c

Name a place and I'll try to make it.

JNL

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Me: It's where you go and get drunk with a bunch of people you know through the internet.
LOL!

I'm still figuring out how I'm going to explain my visits to Chicago and Toronto to my friends and family...

Me: ...and I'm going to stay with friends in Chicago and Toronto
Mum: How do you know them?
Me: I know them through the internet.
Mum: That doesn't sound very safe! They're not men are they?
Me: Some of them, yes...
Mum: :-c

biscuit. [B said:
SO:[/B] What?
You know, I find this whole "freaking out" about meeting someone you know via Internet to be kind of... weird. lol.

JNL

Cyburbian
Inspiration! This sounds better:

Mum: How do you know them?
Me: I know them through work, I've gotten to know them over the last 2 years and we keep in regular contact. They're mostly pretty normal. ;)

I actually used to be a member back in 2001, with the same username, but I let my membership lapse and had to sign up again. So some of you I've known for even longer :)

EDIT: added a wink, for MZ's benefit, so she knows I was joking

Last edited:

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
I would be intersted in a Rust-belt Laefest. The only problem is that my weekends are pretty much full between now and the wedding in mid-June. Although, I could ask the SO to tag along if she wanted to. I can hear the conversation now...

Hmmmmm, seeing how I mentioned this Rust-belt lae-fest, maybe Buffalo could be the first host city. I'm open to "Picksbarg, Clivelend " as well, although things are pretty busy here too for travel. I have a couch and extra bedroom and a haunted attic for those needing a place to crash if we have one in Buuuufffiilo.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Hmmmmm, seeing how I mentioned this Rust-belt lae-fest, maybe Buffalo could be the first host city. I'm open to "Picksbarg, Clivelend " as well, although things are pretty busy here too for travel. I have a couch and extra bedroom and a haunted attic for those needing a place to crash if we have one in Buuuufffiilo.
Well that would be a good excuse to visit Buffalo and Niagara for the first time. Although, we could just all split the difference and meet in Erie.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Well that would be a good excuse to visit Buffalo and Niagara for the first time. Although, we could just all split the difference and meet in Erie.
The beer should have been a good enough excuse;-) Yeah the Falls are only about 15 minutes from here.

Erie gives me the creeps for some reason. Its like the Bermuda Triangle of the U.S. People just disappear B-)

nerudite

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Um, where is Edmonton in relation to... uh oh, knowledge of US geography needs a bit of work :)
Oh god... Edmonton is smack in the middle of Alberta (north of Montana). Not near anything... the only time we get people coming through town is if they are an othe way to the Canadian Rockies. Trust me, spend more time in Bali and skip Edmonton. :-D

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Geez, I wish every place in Florida wasn't 4 or 5 hours apart so we could have a lae-fest here. I did meet Ecofem a couple of weeks ago when she was in Orlando on business, but I have not met any of the other FL Cyburbians except those I've worked with (Trail Nazi, Sisterceleste, and the Diva).

Budgie

Cyburbian
Stupid Question ????

O-Kay, my ignorance is revealed. You will ask yourself, "Is it possible that someone who has been acquaited with Cyburbia since the 90's possibly not know". Yet, alas it is true. So therefore I ask, what is this "Laefest" you speak of? If it's an opportunity for me to make an ass out of myself, I'm there !!!!!

kms

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
:8: There's a place in France where the n..... :8:

Try going after the wedding! :-c