• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

The Laefest Site Site

JNL

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
So therefore I ask, what is this "Laefest" you speak of?

It was a misspelling of Alefest.. (was it Chet?) an Alefest as you probably know is a social get-together in which alcoholic beverages (ales) are consumed.. a Laefest is just an Alefest, nothing dodgy...

The term originated here - Chet created it, but NHPlanner gets some credit too :)

Last edited:

boiker

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Inspiration! This sounds better:

Mum: How do you know them?
Me: I know them through work, I've gotten to know them over the last 2 years and we keep in regular contact. They're mostly pretty normal.

I actually used to be a member back in 2001, with the same username, but I let my membership lapse and had to sign up again. So some of you I've known for even longer :)

just tell her your doing some international research in order to bring back the best of world planning practices to NZ. easy.

JNL said:
Inspiration! This sounds better:

Me: I know them through work, I've gotten to know them over the last 2 years and we keep in regular contact. They're mostly pretty normal.

I actually used to be a member back in 2001, with the same username, but I let my membership lapse and had to sign up again. So some of you I've known for even longer :)

Forgive the "amateur psychology" but I think either you are a little uncomfortable with the idea of meeting folks you have only known over the internet or you are sort of mischieviously having fun at mom's expense. lol. I know, I know -- there is also the fact that it can be hard to figure out what to "call" new experiences and we all have to take a little time to "frame" our experiences when we try to bridge different parts or our lives. But I, personally, don't tend to distinguish very clearly between "internet friends" and "real" friends. Many of my Internet friends are REAL friends to me -- they are there for me when I need a shoulder to cry on, we collaborate on work via e-mail and other means, they help me with my website and I help them with theirs, etc. Additionally, I take classes online, I shop online, etc. I don't say I didn't REALLY buy anything just because I bought it online. I don't say I am not REALLY pursuing an education because most of the classes I take are online. :-D

I know a lot of people have negative experiences. But, geez, that can happen "in real life too". If you hang out in parts of Cyberspace that are "questionable" and do stuff that is "questionable", don't be surprised if you meet "shady" characters. Or if you meet someone online and agree to go meet them in person an hour later, don't be surprised if they are jerks -- but that would be true if you met a total stranger at a bar and stupidly trusted them immediately. I have met people in person that I originally knew via the Internet and I have not had any negative experiences. This is a professional forum. If you met these people at a planning convention of some kind, no one would think anything of it. Just think of Cyburbia as a "planners convention" that is open 24/7.

I think many of the same "rules" apply to online friendships as to "IRL" friendships: if you get to know them over time, interact with them for "good" reasons and they treat you with respect online, then why would they be any less trustworthy than people you have met "in person"?

And if you were just playing and didn't need to really think about any of this stuff, then: NEVER MIND! :-D

JNL

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
And if you were just playing and didn't need to really think about any of this stuff, then: NEVER MIND! :-D

Yes I was just joking, as was biscuit.

Budgie

Cyburbian
JNL said:
It was a misspelling of Alefest.. (was it Chet?) an Alefest as you probably know is a social get-together in which alcoholic beverages (ales) are consumed..

I'm there !!!! Chet, Ale and I mix fairly well. Sounds like a great opportunity to make new friends.;) Hang on, I still owe Rumpy a visit this spring.

"This doesn't mean we'll be taking long hot showers together." - Gunnie Thomas Highway

Budgie

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Forgive the "amateur psychology" but I think either you are a little uncomfortable with the idea of meeting folks you have only known over the internet or you are sort of mischieviously having fun at mom's expense. lol. I know, I know -- there is also the fact that it can be hard to figure out what to "call" new experiences and we all have to take a little time to "frame" our experiences when we try to bridge different parts or our lives. But I, personally, don't tend to distinguish very clearly between "internet friends" and "real" friends. Many of my Internet friends are REAL friends to me -- they are there for me when I need a shoulder to cry on, we collaborate on work via e-mail and other means, they help me with my website and I help them with theirs, etc. Additionally, I take classes online, I shop online, etc. I don't say I didn't REALLY buy anything just because I bought it online. I don't say I am not REALLY pursuing an education because most of the classes I take are online. :-D

I know a lot of people have negative experiences. But, geez, that can happen "in real life too". If you hang out in parts of Cyberspace that are "questionable" and do stuff that is "questionable", don't be surprised if you meet "shady" characters. Or if you meet someone online and agree to go meet them in person an hour later, don't be surprised if they are jerks -- but that would be true if you met a total stranger at a bar and stupidly trusted them immediately. I have met people in person that I originally knew via the Internet and I have not had any negative experiences. This is a professional forum. If you met these people at a planning convention of some kind, no one would think anything of it. Just think of Cyburbia as a "planners convention" that is open 24/7.

I think many of the same "rules" apply to online friendships as to "IRL" friendships: if you get to know them over time, interact with them for "good" reasons and they treat you with respect online, then why would they be any less trustworthy than people you have met "in person"?

MZ - do your fingers ever get tired? Would you like to do minutes for me?

Budgie

Cyburbian
I'm stoked for a Laefest. Let's take a poll. Based on geographic dispersion I suggest Chicago, Milwaukee, Lansing or Kalamazoo (only because Primus has a song named Kalamazoo).

Budgie

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Budgie, check out this thread, looks like Chicago is a popular option

I can dig it. I'll have no need for a car, the lae will flow and the Bar-b-que sauce will be in my chest hair. WOO HOO !!!!

Budgie said:
MZ - do your fingers ever get tired? Would you like to do minutes for me?
Once, when I posted an e-mail that was about 50kb to a list, my hands and wrists were tired. I think it was like 6 pages. Would you like to see it? :-D

When my hard drive died, the technician looked at my laptop and told me "I have NEVER seen a keyboard that was SO worn out. You must spend a LOT of time on your computer." 8-! (EDIT: The laptop was about 18 months old.)

I also give fabulous massages. I suppose that is one of the reasons my hands don't tire too easily. :p

EDIT: Oh, and how much would it pay to do minutes? What will you do: phone me long distance??? B-) :-\ 8-!

Last edited:

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Hang on, I still owe Rumpy a visit this spring.

"This doesn't mean we'll be taking long hot showers together." - Gunnie Thomas Highway

WTF, man I don't know whether to laugh or cry or hurl (thank you Wayne's World);)

When is this Chicago laefest? I'll be in Florida the first week of June so I might not be able to make it. :-\

Hey Budgie, let me know when you'll be up in these parts so I can give the s.o. fare warning (and some bail money)

Allright, seeing how I might not be able to make it to the Chicago laefest, I announce the First Annual Rust-belt laefest to be held in this years sponsor city, Buuufffilo!!! Time and date, as well as place to be negotiated. I'm thinking maybe April or May, but who knows right now, I'll have to bust out the calendar.

Anyone interested, let me know what your options are, or I just might end up drinking a 40 oz alone on some curb somewhere.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Rumpy, push off the Buffalo Laefest to summer and I will try to get there. Actually, Cleveland or Toledo would be a bit better. I sounds like some of the Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and Canada folks might try to make it.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
JNL said:
I'm still figuring out how I'm going to explain my visits to Chicago and Toronto to my friends and family...

Me: ...and I'm going to stay with friends in Chicago and Toronto
Me: I know them through the internet.
Mum: That doesn't sound very safe! They're not men are they?
Me: Some of them, yes...
Mum: :-c

Try explaining to your wife that you've offered a strange (meaning unknown!) woman you've never met a place to stay for a few days.

Mrs. Tranplanner: You know, I'm not a huge fan of blondes.
Me: Speaking of blondes, how would you feel about having a blonde kiwi tourist stay with us for a few days?
Mrs. Tranplanner: :-s :-c :-\ Who?
Me: JNL..., from Cyburbia...
Mrs. Tranplanner: Who?
Me: You know her - the one from New Zealand. She's cool, and she's going on a round-the-world trip. I offered to put her up for a few days if she stops in Toronto.
Mrs. Tranplanner: I haven't visited that site for a while now.

End of conversation.

Note how I slipped the topic into our conversation. I am just too smooth sometimes...

Don't worry JNL, she's fine with it (I think). Oh, and we were talking about taste in women. She doesn't have a problem with blondes in general, she just doesn't understand why most men have a "thing" for them - she works with a bunch of guys and the topic comes up frequently.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
I'm stoked for a Laefest. Let's take a poll. Based on geographic dispersion I suggest Chicago, Milwaukee, Lansing or Kalamazoo (only because Primus has a song named Kalamazoo).

I CHOOSE K-ZOO... it is in my back yard... 2 hours from Detroit, 3 from Toronto, 2 From Chicago, and a few from Indy.

Places to go... Click here

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:
LOL!

I'm still figuring out how I'm going to explain my visits to Chicago and Toronto to my friends and family...

Me: ...and I'm going to stay with friends in Chicago and Toronto
Me: I know them through the internet.
Mum: That doesn't sound very safe! They're not men are they?
Me: Some of them, yes...
Mum: :-c

Last night at my little sisters going away party (she is moving back in with my parents to finish college) I told her that I have a friend coming from NZ to visit for a few days this summer.

Me: I have a friend from NZ who will be visiting me for a few days on an around the world trip
Sister: Where is NZ?
Me: Other side of the world
Sister: How did you meet them?
Me: Planning Web Site
Sister: Is it a guy or a girl?
Me: Girl…
Sister: WHAT THE F(*& DO YOU MEAN YOU ARE LETTING SOME CHICK FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD THAT YOU KNOW FROM THE INTERNET, FLY IN TO VISIT YOU.
Me: She is cool…
Sister: Oh… ok. What are you going to show her?
Me: I was thinking South Haven or Grand Haven, Kalamazoo, and Chicago.
Sister: Cool, have fun…

donk

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Try explaining to your wife that you've offered a strange (meaning unknown!) woman you've never met a place to stay for a few days.

Don't worry Mrs TP, I'll chaperone.

Dont't worry she is like me, but nicer and female.

JNL

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
Sister: WHAT THE F(*& DO YOU MEAN YOU ARE LETTING SOME CHICK FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD THAT YOU KNOW FROM THE INTERNET, FLY IN TO VISIT YOU.
Me: She is cool…
Sister: Oh… ok. What are you going to show her?

LMAO!! This is going to be fun!

JNL

Cyburbian
Rem said:
My suggestion: The verandah of Lake Macquarie Yacht Club.

In September maybe???

You and SkeL need to come to Chicago and then it will be a truly international Laefest :)

Looks like I will fly out June 12th, so Chicago Laefest might be Friday 18th June

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
JNL said:
...SkeL need to come to Chicago and then it will be a truly international Laefest :)
errr. that's a bit hard.... considering I just joined the broke university student clube.
how about a subdeveloped country laefest and everybody comes here instead? :p

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Don't ya'll ever do like normal Yankees and come to Orlando to escape the cold weather? Dang, that would be a good place for a lae-fest!
Yeah, we could have gotten together for Biker Week in Daytona Beach. But we missed that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
sisterceleste said:
Yeah, we could have gotten together for Biker Week in Daytona Beach. But we missed that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, you guys get your leathers and come down and meet some FL biker babes...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Are non-drinkers welcome at the "Midwest Laefest" ?
How long is JNL staying?
Which hotel is everybody going to stay at?

JNL

Cyburbian
JNA said:
How long is JNL staying?

Drinkers, non-drinkers, I'm sure all are welcome at Laefests! Although you might be in a better position to record/recall any gossip-worthy goings-on.... 8-!

I haven't set dates yet, but am thinking of leaving NZ on the 12th, travelling around a bit during the week, then making it back to Chi-Town for a Laefest on the 19th? This could encompass a mid-week Laefest in TO too I guess...??? Or will the Chi-Town one include our TO friends? Is that a political question? :-D

Will probably go on to Europe on Sunday 21st.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNA said:
How long is JNL staying?
Which hotel is everybody going to stay at?

I almost qualify as a non-drinker, so I'd say "welcome!" Yes, it sounds like the really big Laefest is going to be in Chicago in June, with JNL as the guest of honor. The Hyatt Regency on Wacker (right across the river from the Tribune Tower) is my favorite Chicago hotel. The location is perfect, but there are many other hotels in the vicinity.

I'd vote for a second Laefest later in the summer or early fall in the Rust Belt. Buffalo? When is Rumpy's Rampage opening?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
JNL said:
I haven't set dates yet, but am thinking of leaving NZ on the 12th, travelling around a bit during the week, then making it back to Chi-Town for a Laefest on the 19th? This could encompass a mid-week Laefest in TO too I guess...??? Or will the Chi-Town one include our TO friends? Is that a political question? :-D

Will probably go on to Europe on Sunday 21st.

I'm thinking there will be 2 laefests - one in Toronto, and one in Chicago. Chicago is a bit far for me to get too, though I'd love to visit there again sometime. Toronto is half-decently convenient to Cleveland (Dan), and Buffalo (RT). I think there are a few other cyburbanites floating around too.

How does your ticket work - is each leg of your trip scheduled in advance, or are you flexible? You might be better off either flying into Toronto from L.A., or out of Toronto to Europe, that way you are not backtracking between Chicago and Toronto.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I'd vote for a second Laefest later in the summer or early fall in the Rust Belt. Buffalo? When is Rumpy's Rampage opening?

I think this is a great idea. I'll probably be on my honeymoon during the Chicago Laefest so will regrettably will not be there to meet JNL and the mid-western Cyburbaites. Unless I can convince the SO that to take a mid-west honeymoon trip... yeah, right.

Perhaps we should plan on a late summer Laefest in the Cleveland area. That way we can attract people in from a wider area. But, then again, if we had one in Buffalo we could attract the New York staters and Canuckistanians. Regardless you can count me in for either location.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:

Collecting funds, make checks payable to the Rumpy's Rampage Foundation......

Actually went to the small business center to get info on loans and grants. The way the job market is shaping up around here and across the country, I think I might have to start my own business, which could be a good thing. Most of the sites I've consider are in the Empire Zone program and I have receive info from the state as well.

I might try to make it to the Chicago Laefest via RR once the date is set in stone. We could have the Buffalo, or other city laefest sometime in the summer as well.

JNL

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I'm thinking there will be 2 laefests - one in Toronto, and one in Chicago.

How does your ticket work - is each leg of your trip scheduled in advance, or are you flexible? .

2 Laefests sounds good to me!

Ticket - scheduled in advance. Still not paid for and confirmed yet, but I think adding more legs adds to the cost? Not sure, but thanks, will keep that in mind when I confirm the booking this week.

JNL

Cyburbian
I think we need to appoint a Laefest Coordinator to decide which locations and dates will suit best, and then make an official announcement so that people can start planning (to come and meet the Guest of Honour :-D)

I nominate Cardinal since he started the thread (he nominated himself really didn't he?)

Of course you earn a :b: for taking on this important role :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Cardinal said:
The Hyatt Regency on Wacker (right across the river from the Tribune Tower) is my favorite Chicago hotel. The location is perfect, but there are many other hotels in the vicinity.

? Can we get a group rate because there are some us that are cheap folk?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNA said:
? Can we get a group rate because there are some us that are cheap folk?

I don't know about being the Laefest coordinator... That seems to be a job for a much more qualified drinker. I will take care of setting up Chicago. Maybe one of the Indianerers wants to put something together for Region IV in October? To offer a little more incentive for the Cyburbia Cycling Clube (CCC), the Hilly Hundred begins on the last day of the conference. (http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8283&page=11&pp=25)

I'll see what I can do to get a good deal somewhere.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
JNL said:
I think we need to appoint a Laefest Coordinator to decide which locations and dates will suit best, and then make an official announcement so that people can start planning (to come and meet the Guest of Honour :-D)

I nominate Cardinal since he started the thread (he nominated himself really didn't he?)

Of course you earn a :b: for taking on this important role :)

I am already starting to scout locations for the First International Laefest!

I've got a couple places already in mind, and will come up more by lat May.

Stay tuned!

jordanb

Cyburbian
Heh, I just found this thread because of the mob-mentality thread.

In case anyone needs a place to stay, I have a futon.

By the way, how about the Handlebar in Wicker Park? It's on North just east of Western, an easy walk from the Damen blue line station. It's a quiet bar with a beer garden owned by a bunch of bicycle enthusiasts. And the best part is that there's no music. :-D

They have a basement room we could probably use too if our group is big enough.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
jordanb said:
By the way, how about the Handlebar in Wicker Park? It's on North just east of Western, an easy walk from the Damen blue line station. It's a quiet bar with a beer garden owned by a bunch of bicycle enthusiasts. And the best part is that there's no music..

Know the area well; I lived just north of there, in Bucktown, during an internship in 1986. It would be interesting to see how the area changed since gentrification in the 1990s.

Quiet is good. Alefests are usually held in places where it's not so loud that conversation is a struggle. Look at some previous threads for images of Falling Rock in Denver, where the last big Alefest was held.

I can go to Chicago and Toronto easily. TO is about five hours away from Cleveland, or an hour and a half from Buffalo; the Loop a six hour drive if the Borman Expressway isn't jammed with eighteen-wheelers.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Once JNL confirms her dates, I'll start planning a Toronto mini-laefest. It'll probably be a week-night though given her preliminary schedule so I'm not expecting it'll be a huge event.

I'm fairly new to Cyburbia. I can meet up with you and PlannerGirl at APA. Just give me a time and location. May not be able to do the opening weekend. I have to work the orientation tours.

NHPlanner said:
Guess it's looking like PlannerGirl and I are the only ones meeting up at APA in DC....

Northeast locations would work for me.....now that I'm divorced, I'll have to try to put together a New England/Eastern Laefest for the folks round these parts (as few of us as there are) ;) Perhaps later in the spring or summer.

JNL

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Once JNL confirms her dates, I'll start planning a Toronto mini-laefest. It'll probably be a week-night though given her preliminary schedule so I'm not expecting it'll be a huge event.

Sorry about the hold-up, I have been so busy at work that I have not had a chance to get to the travel agent and confirm the booking. This is very unusual for me as normally I have to find creative ways to hide the fact that I have hardly any work! But I'm loving being busy, got some really cool projects on the boil. My plan is to sort the booking tomorrow, so I will be able to let you know when I get to work on Monday (Sunday for you) :)

JNL

Cyburbian
I've booked at last!

Right! Booking sorted! :-D

I arrive in Chicago on Sat June 12th, and fly out of Toronto (on to Europe) on Sunday June 20th. So... maybe a mid-week laefest in Chi-town?? Will that be okay with people? And a Friday or Saturday one in Toronto?

My ticket is flexible, so I can change my routing if I need to.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Toronto Laefest Announcement

The Toronto Laefest is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, June 19, 2004. PM me or post here if you are intending to come. I'll work out details re: time and place, with Donk and any other cyburbanites interested.

JNL

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
The Toronto Laefest is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, June 19, 2004. PM me or post here if you are intending to come.

Cool bananas! My flight doesn't leave till 19:55 the next day so I'll have plenty of time to sleep it off... I mean, recover from the excitement of meeting some fellow Cyburbanites!

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I'm down for a Chicago Laefest! Has a date been finalized? It looks like some coordination is being done with JNL's itinerary, and some time in mid-June would be cool.

Cardinal, if you need a hand with coordinating, PM me.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Why limit Chicago at only one place? I would like to entertain the idea of going to Blue Chicago, and another place. If you think about it, there are a few things that Chicago does better than anyone... Pizza and the Blues. What night would you guys propose Laefest?

What are your thoughts?