• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Lowbrow Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
You can take a planner out of the gutter but you can never fully take the gutter out of a planner. It doesn’t matter if you live in a gilded 5,000 sq ft. mansion, drive a Rolls Royce, drink Chateau Lafite-Rotschild wines, and attend the opera every week (and there must be LOADS of planners who live this lifestyle)…..we are not deceived by such outward trappings of culture and refinement. We know that deep within the halls of that mansion you are probably down in the basement thoroughly enjoying NASCAR and Larry the Cable Guy on your 72” plasma screen tv!!

This thread is the antithesis of the snobbery thread. What ties to lowbrow culture are you hiding, or more likely, are you heedlessly displaying to anyone and everyone? Do you have a fondness for Old Milwaukee beer? Collect ball caps? Hail from the UP (in Michigan)? Secretly own one or more Garth Brooks albums? Have a black velvet painting somewhere in your house - or better yet, a print of those dogs playing poker? Belonged at some point to a bowling league? Drove a Chevette? There are all sorts of criteria which might qualify one for having lowbrow tastes, but what’s your claim to fame? How in your life do you exhibit a decided lack of discrimination, sophistication, and refinement?

Personally, my sense of clothing style is my claim to lowbrow fame. Any time I'm not at work or a wedding it's a safe bet you'll find me attired in either sweats/t-shirt, jeans and plaid shirt, or shorts and t-shirt.

Last edited:

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
I'd rather spend my time and money in Tractor Supply than the Galleria.

Otis

Cyburbian
I own and use a chain saw and drove a pickup for 20 years until it died. Now waiting for Zman to deliver his pickup to me.

zman

Cyburbian
I own and use a chain saw and drove a pickup for 20 years until it died. Now waiting for Zman to deliver his pickup to me.
I like wearing Carhartt work pants and drinking the occasional Hamms' beer or Colorado Kool-aid (Coors).

I also like to drink beer in garages or driveways, particularly with factory workers and mechanics in a predominantly rural/agricultural county on the high plains.

I have been known to enjoy a Back Woods cigar.

I really like to fart.

[ot]Crap, I have to PM Otis.[/ot]

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
One of my nicknames is thunder nose because of how loud my sneezes can be

My dad and I occasionly have belching and farting contests

I've been known to listen to classic rock

In highschool in the '80s I had a suede on the outside-wool on the inside vest.

I was a member of the NRA in highschool and went hunting

Personally, my sense of clothing style is my claim to lowbrow fame. Any time I'm not at work or a wedding it's a safe bet you'll find me attired in either sweats/t-shirt, jeans and plaid shirt, or shorts and t-shirt.

And what is wrong with that, especially if the jeans are faded and ratty.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Yes I have been in a bowling league.

I occasionally enoy drinking PBR. It's not uncommon for me to go out on weekends looking like I just woke up in the gutter

I like to laugh at people like Zman when they fart

Jess

Cyburbian
:)
Planning for a third-economy country, in a third-economy region.
:):-D.......

......But still get paid.;)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I lived in a double wide for a number of years.
I used to belong to a bowling league in SC (no time here).
I drove a beat up Chevy Lumina with patches of primer on it because I was too cheap to get the beater painted.
I make my kid do chores, without pay.
I like to be barefoot most of the time, office included.
I know how to make $10 of groceries last 3 days.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Just thought of a few more of mine....perfectly content drinking Lipton tea or freeze dried Taster's Choice coffee. Own lots of albums that reflect poorly on my historical musical tastes such as: Juice Newton, Rick Springfield, Saga, and lots more absolutely forgettable rock from the 70's and 80's. I've got two old 1950's era prints in the basement including a Winchester ad and Custer's Last Stand (being tucked between Maxfield Parish and MC Escher posters somewhat diminishes the effect possibly leading one to believe the prints are intended to be hipster ironic, but the truth is the prints were up years before the posters were added).

Oh, forgot.... I own no less than THREE K-TEL records ("Power Play", "Southern Fried Rock", and some soft rock one I got from an old gf). Top that, ya highfalutin snobs!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I will be in a bowling league in the winter.

I also own a Jeep Wrangler with 35" tires (and all the toys that go along with that) and have a fondness for the wood paneled Jeep Grand Wagoneers (I have gone through a couple of them in the past few years).

- I grew up in a doublewide.
- Most of my children's clothes are hand me downs.
- Our christmas tree is a charming collection of our childhood ornaments and mismatched ornaments we've received as gifts over the year and by no means is color coordinated or "themed".
- One of my favorite shows is Best Week Ever

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I've been in a bowling league - because it is fun!

I drink beer, usually at the bowling alley or with nachos.

I can spend hours at Home Depot or Lowe's, but avoid the Galleria/large malls if I can.

craines

Cyburbian
On occasion i will drink bud, whiskey out of a bottle, do the pull my finger thing and marvel at the joys of well designed powere tool.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I would love to own and operate an auto wrecker yard.

I would be sure to be the only guy that got to operate the crusher.

Attachments

Last edited:

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
I drive a soft-top Geo Tracker.....In WI.

I have duct taped the cracks between the soft top and the metal on the outside of the vehicle in an attempt to reduce the flow of air through the vehicle in order to stay above freezing.

ALL HAIL THE ROLL OF DUCT TAPE!

Tresmo

Cyburbian
- Our christmas tree is a charming collection of our childhood ornaments and mismatched ornaments we've received as gifts over the year and by no means is color coordinated or "themed".
Isn't that how it is supposed to be? I'm taking pride in our 3 ornament tree (first Christmas together and with a tree) because I know it will accumulate over the years. Those themed trees make me want to throw up. :victory::victory:

*MrTresmo's pride and joy was a early 90s Camaro, RIP (It was broken into and totaled :( ) I thought that car was cool.
*MrTresmo really likes to fart and I think it's funny, except for the noxious odor
*I watch really bad reality shows (Rock of Love with Bret Michaels, Tila Tequila, The Hills, Laguna Beach... although usually while working out because they're easy to follow reading subtitles)
*If I'm in a bar and there are a hundred kinds of beer and they're all free, I will order Bud Light. I also like wine in a box. Now that I have a job this may start to change.
*I love jerky and beef snack sticks
*I belch. A lot.

Tom R

Cyburbian
lowbrow

OK, I'm a Stillers [Pittsburghese] fan
I listen to Tom Waits, John Prine and ZZ Top
I love to plink squirrels (and would if I didn't live in a City)
I love Strohs

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Okay, I do like to watch the last 50 miles or so of the Daytona 500. I try to atone for this lowbrow behavior by watching the last 2 or 3 holes of the Master's.:)

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I smoke Back Woods during black fly season when I'm outside

in the privacy of my car, I listen to ZZTop

I love my Mom's silver Christmas tree from my youth with the color wheel

I love a can of Franco-American Ravioli for lunch but I don't because it's really bad for me

I wear Sorel's and a parka with a suit to work (I live in Maine!)

but the best lowbrow thing about me is:

after downing a can of A&W, I can burp the alphabet! :)

TOFB

Cyburbian
I have chewed tobacco (but thankfully quit)

I dress like a bum doing Saturday Morning errands

I too will watch the last 50 laps of the Daytona 500, but no more.

I occasionally drink cheap vodka and orange crush, and like it

Wear Carhart jeans

I don't really listen to much low brow music, maybe a little 70's country rock if I have to

Captain Worley

Cyburbian
-I was raised on PBR and drink Busch Lite now. I consider it a step up.
-I drove a 69 Charger and a 73 Grand Torino sport with a Toploader 4speed...when I was a 'repsonsible' adult in my 20s and 30s.
-I used to pee off the porch, but my wife made me stop.
-I love Lynrd Skynyrd.
-I've owned eight cars, and only the Chrager was an automatic.
-I wear flip flops or go barefoot unless required by dress code or decorum.
-I love old tractors.
-I thought about getting a 40" Gravely like dad has because it can "flat knock down a lawn."
-All my friends and family said, "That was just like you!" after they saw Joe Dirt.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I love a can of Franco-American Ravioli for lunch but I don't because it's really bad for me
oooh good one! I may as well say it here because I can admit it proudly nowhere else - I prefer the grocery store brand mac n cheese to any homemade variety.

Fat Cat

Cyburbian
Fat Cat

Have driven pickups for years:-D
Have been on bowling leagues;) Although not for a few years;)
And when not at work or attending a community service league meeting, always wear jeans and t-shirt/sweat shirt and baseball cap.:-D
At the stage of life where I wear jeans and T to the community service league meetings but wear a sport coat:D
Come from a rural agricultural area and still am tied to my roots:-D
Have started wearing baseball caps with suits:-D:D

SGB

Cyburbian
I think Hank done it this way

I enjoy listening to outlaw country music.

zman

Cyburbian
-I thought about getting a 40" Gravely like dad has because it can "flat knock down a lawn."
I know what a Gravely is and used to run a 52" while working in the family "bidness"

I even used their snow blower and fertilizer spreader attachments. ;)

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Whenever I find myself at a [strikeout]truck stop[/strikeout] travel center, I'm always drawn to the displays of CB radios. I still have a couple; I'm probably going to put them on eBay soon as part of the ongoing effort to raise funds to fix up my money pit.

FWIW, if you're in the know, one is a fully loaded Galaxy. Yeah, I know what freebanding, A channels, and "extras" are.

I also like the Olive Garden. There. I said it. I mean, I prefer indie Italian restaurants, but for a chain, the OG is quite satisfying, and the breadsticks are as addictive as crack rock.

Tom R

Cyburbian
cb

FWIW, if you're in the know, one is a fully loaded Galaxy. Yeah, I know what freebanding, A channels, and "extras" are.
I always wanted a Demco Satellite - with all "23."

SGB

Cyburbian
Whenever I find myself at a [strikeout]truck stop[/strikeout] travel center, I'm always drawn to the displays of CB radios. I still have a couple; I'm probably going to put them on eBay soon as part of the ongoing effort to raise funds to fix up my money pit.
I'd still hang on to one of the CB sets for use in road trips. No one is likely to call your cell phone during a while out to tell you about the closed highway 4 miles ahead of you.

hilldweller

Cyburbian
Addicted to fast food
Inability to throw out old furniture
Like playing drinking games
Wear sneakers on golf courses (and smuggle beers)
Get haircuts only when I start to resemble a southern fraternity dude

otterpop

Cyburbian
I love hoppin' john (black-eyes peas, rice and ham hocks)

I love the Allman Brothers and Black Oak Arkansas

I've lived in a trailer park.

I only like wine if it has a screwtop, comes in a berry flavor and was made in a factory named for the farm of a famous American backwoodsman.

btrage

Cyburbian
Addicted to fast food
Inability to throw out old furniture
Like playing drinking games
Wear sneakers on golf courses (and smuggle beers)
Get haircuts only when I start to resemble a southern fraternity dude
We must be brothers hilldweller (except for the haircut part).

Overall, my "low-browness" has to do with me just being a cheap bastard; just ask my wife.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I drive a full-size, club-cab Ford pickup.
My preferred refrigerated grain beverage is Bud.

Other than that, I have no other lowbrow traits or habits. :r:

graciela

Cyburbian
-grew up in a doublewide
-drink Natty Light when working on home improvement projects.
-*enjoy going "jeep riding" on the weekends
-enjoy eating wild game.
-have been in the garage/pit area during NASCAR races - I wore a wonderbread shirt the last time I went.:p
-can identify with Joe Dirt.
-went to a Bocephus and Lynyrd Lynyrd Skynyrd concert this year.
-am a backyard horse owner.

*I would never cause resource damage.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I wear a Carhartt jacket and ripped jeans
I own several Toby Keith albums
I love whiskey and hate wine
I drive only Fords
I thoroughly enjoy hard rock music
Ted Nugent is my hero
One of my favorite pastimes is beer pong
I eat fast food at least a couple times a week
I'm a registered Republican
I have dozens of friends that are veterans of the War on Terror, and most of them share interests similar to me
I've had at least one broken appliance stored in my yard before
I own a gun and I love going target shooting
I have Christmas lights in my basement that are left up, and turned on, all year-long

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
Lowdown

I like to drink Iron City beer, its cheap and good.
I love Big Mac's large fries and a coke for lunch.
I owned a Chevy Vega and thought it was the best car I ever owned.
I've been known to blow off a real big juice fart now and then.
I spit on the street.
I think strip joints are quality entertainment.

KSharpe

Cyburbian
I like Judge Judy and America's Next Top Model.
I like smutty hip hop (e.g. Fergie)
I like to affect a "black" accent on occassion, which many people find hysterical coming from a lily-white girl like me.

Otis

Cyburbian
Forgot a few:

I was married in a double wide.
I shop at Goodwill (much to my mother's dismay:-c)
I wear a ball cap that says "Spawn til you die" (it relates to salmon)

Maister, I'll take the Juice Newton. I love her.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I shop at Wal Mart. I have bought clothes at Wal Mart.
I love bowling and was on a league for 10 years.
I will actually eat Chef Boy-R-Dee. And Kraft mac and cheese. But Velveeta's better.
I listen to Charlie Daniels.
I love riding an ATV at my brother's hunt camp.
I live in FL but wear flannel shirts in the winter. I have even been known to sleep in them, with sweatpants, on cold nights. (Sorry, RJ...)
I eat Campbell's tomato soup. A lot.
I can stop at a convenience store out in the middle of nowhere in FL and fit right in. Just kick up the southern accent.

Captain Worley

Cyburbian
I know what a Gravely is and used to run a 52" while working in the family "bidness"
So then you know it isn't a working tractor until the hood is torn or removed. Ours is torn. It is also so old it has a Studebaker-Packard Corporation decal.

Here's a few more I forgot:

-Buy all my clothes at Walmart, Kmart, or Burke's outlet.
-Drove a car for a year with no heat, AC, or operable power windows, just because it was a turbocharged monster.
-Grew up on a farm

Jen

Cyburbian
-grew up in a doublewide
-drink Natty Light when working on home improvement projects.
-*enjoy going "jeep riding" on the weekends
-enjoy eating wild game.
-have been in the garage/pit area during NASCAR races - I wore a wonderbread shirt the last time I went.:p
-can identify with Joe Dirt.
-went to a Bocephus and Lynyrd Lynyrd Skynyrd concert this year.
-am a backyard horse owner.

*I would never cause resource damage.
There's a fragrance called "Dirt" I saw with some other funky gardenn aromas at the gift shop when iw as shopping for my SS, I thought of you! ;) :-D

Of course I am low brow,

I eat a sammich standing up now and then and nab scoops of icecream out of the carton and into my mouth.

I have been knwon to chug beer and knock back shots of cherry moonshine.

ok i burp real loud and exagerate my sneezes :-$ NOT! :-D

I would name my clothesline as a lowbrow apparati but those are making a comeback, however my kmart clothesline is still in the yard and it might have a dishrag still attached to it.

The One

Cyburbian
Oh yeah....

oooh good one! I may as well say it here because I can admit it proudly nowhere else - I prefer the grocery store brand mac n cheese to any homemade variety.
Good one....I agree with the mac and cheese....but every once in a while....I still gotta have:

http://www.koamart.com/images/products/2997_default.jpg

:-c

I've also had the urge to see a tractor pull:-o

http://tractorpull.calpoly.edu/images/TheSleds/Big_Red_One.jpg

Moderator note:

C'mon The One, you ought to know by now not to leech images. Image links deleted. ~Gedunker

Last edited by a moderator:

Coragus

Cyburbian
I hunt and fish and go up north to drink cheep beer and smoke cigars.

When I go up north, I stay in my Dad's hunting shack, a 1970's house trailer, complete with a roof suspended over the top by posts.

I travel four hours north by buy my smoked sausage, and I'm such a snob about sausage that I almost won't buy it anywhere else.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I travel four hours north by buy my smoked sausage, and I'm such a snob about sausage that I almost won't buy it anywhere else.
Watch out though....I hear the smoked sausage sold in Rogers City is horrible.

;)

graciela

Cyburbian
Some lowbrow foods:

Chicken in a Biskit with cheese whiz. Mmmmmm

Spam casserole

Trailer Trash Stroganoff

orange salad

cathead biscuits and sausage gravy

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
I never lived in a house that was not made entirely of brick.
I own a vacation home in N Michigan that is not on wheels.
I wore a tie in High School, even though it was not part of the uniform.
My Zenith is nearly 20 years old.
I don't drink anymore and never smoked.

However

I do live in a neighborhood that has become infested with prostitutes and hobos, but it is still better than the neighborhood I grew up in in terms of crime.

Watch out though....I hear the smoked sausage sold in Rogers City is horrible.
;)
Go to Posen or Millersburg instead!

Hceux

Cyburbian
After reading through all of the different examples of lowbrow, I wonder if I was excluded from the world of lowbrow and therefore don't know much of it nowadays.

Most of the examples are foriegn to me. Sure, I've heard of Daytona, but I don't get why watch the last 50 laps. Are there twice as many more laps?

Do people actively participate in lowbrow activities out of enjoyment, tradition, and/or its low cost?

Growing up, steady income wasn't a part of my childhood life. At times, we had spaghetti for dinner for many evening meals. They were always good. At the time, I didn't perceive this as a negative thing because I enjoyed having spaghetti. On special ocassion, we would make a homemade pizza on one of those pizza shell you could buy in the store. Instead of pizza sauce, we'd use ketchup and whatever leftover veggies we had in the crisper. It was fun making this pizza with my Mom. I thought being able to squeeze a whole load of ketchup at once was just fantastic!

Yet, we never ate packaged food. In fact, I can't even really remember what Kraft Dinner tastes like because I had it once and it didn't appeal to me at the time. The same with fast food; it wasn't something that we had often. If we had some, then it was on sale or purchased with coupons. We ate nutritious food based on whatever we could get on sale in the store.

As for entertainment, we had each other, our animals, bikes, games, and other hands-on activities. We'd borrow books and other materials from the library. We didn't participate in local activities such as watching fireworks on New Year's Eve or Canada Day, go to the local Speedway (a racing ground for soon to be smashed up cars), etc.

Having matching bedding sheets, towels, Christmas tree deocrations, etc weren't a priority. They had to do their job - keep us warm, dry, and etc. Similar with going to haircutting place, clothing stores, etc - we never spent more money than necessary because they all do the same thing whether or not you go to an inexpensive or an expensive place.

Nowadays, I thankfully have a steady income and support my mother who is now in my care. We still employ much of the similar things that I've described above. However, we've not made pasta lately because, as I learned recently, my mother view them as a "last-resort" option for meals. (So, now I miss having pasta!) The same goes with those pizzas I described - to think of it, I don't remember seeing those pizza crusts in stores anymore.

I even miss living in Toronto because of its fantastic library system of 99 libraries! I still have a hard time going to a local Blockbuster video store to watch a movie; it just has to be a special one or one that I really want to see. There are still plenty at the local libraries that I can enjoy someday.

So am I a skinflint, just cautious with money, or a lowbrow in denial?

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Well my dishes cam out of the neighbors garbage (okay, we knew the neighbor and knew that her daughter was throwing out her stuff (it came right out of the cabinets and on to the curb)). Desk chair was garbage picked (I've seen similar ones in the Pottery Barn catalog for $300). With the exception of some of my bookshelfs all my furniture came from garage/estate sales. I have on occasion garbaged picked books and resold them on Ebay. Got $140 for a book on guns from the 1940s. Didn't think much of it at the time but it turned out to be the first annual gun digest which apparently is quite collectable.

H

Cyburbian
[ot]
I like wearing Carhartt work pants
best pants I own... (not most expensive, just best :) [/ot]

Here is the one the Mrs. gets on me about:

I cant eat watermelon without taking off my shirt and standing in the yard. It just taste better that way.:-$