• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The Lowbrow Thread

I cant eat watermelon without taking off my shirt and standing in the yard. It just taste better that way.:-$
Isn't there some kind of rule that watermelon seeds should be spit in the sink (if you have a disposal), the kitchen trash can, or over the railing off the back porch?
;-)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So am I a skinflint, just cautious with money, or a lowbrow in denial?
Well that is the $64,000 question - because the same conditions can arise from different motives. Just because someone lives in a single-wide, for instance, doesn't necessesarily establish their lowbrow credentials. But if they live in a single wide yet earn sufficient income to build one of these beautiful monster trucks

.....well, they just might have lowbrow tastes.

Last edited:

zman

Cyburbian
I am wearing Carhartt jeans, a $4 plain sweatshirt and hiking boots into work today. I combined this with a ballcap (worn outside only)
I also interviewed for my new job in the same pair of jeans (small plains town). ;)

I also want to add that black eyed peas and collard/turnip greens, with hot pepper vinegar and southern (read no-sugar, cooked in an ancient cast iron pan with bacon grease) cornbread is the food of the gods.

graciela

Cyburbian
I am wearing Carhartt jeans, a $4 plain sweatshirt and hiking boots into work today. I combined this with a ballcap (worn outside only)
I also interviewed for my new job in the same pair of jeans (small plains town). ;)

I also want to add that black eyed peas and collard/turnip greens, with hot pepper vinegar and southern (read no-sugar, cooked in an ancient cast iron pan with bacon grease) cornbread is the food of the gods.
you are SO right.

I think that would be my last meal if I were a inmate on death row. I would add some fried venison tenderloin with gravy to the mix.:a:

TOFB

Cyburbian
Most of the examples are foriegn to me. Sure, I've heard of Daytona, but I don't get why watch the last 50 laps. Are there twice as many more laps?
Actually, the race is 200 laps (why do I know that?)

The last 50 laps is when the drivers actually start racing which to me means crashing.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
people not from the south: can you say "balck eyed peas" without a drawl?

I, personally, cannot - ;)

and I love them too - I love what is consdiered poor boy cookin' or peasant food - oxtail stew, stuff like that

Tresmo

Cyburbian

The last 50 laps is when the drivers actually start racing which to me means crashing.
I always think of the last laps being where they start racing because enough have crashed to clear out some room on the track for real racing. :-|

Why do I have any thoughts on this?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I always think of the last laps being where they start racing because enough have crashed to clear out some room on the track for real racing. :-|
[ot]Yes, and along those same lines most basketball games come down to the last few minutes - so why don't they just play like 6-minute long games? It would save alot of time and trouble, not to mention wear and tear on the players....;-)[/ot]

The One

Cyburbian
Doh!

Good one....I agree with the mac and cheese....but every once in a while....I still gotta have:

http://www.koamart.com/images/products/2997_default.jpg

:-c

I've also had the urge to see a tractor pull:-o

http://tractorpull.calpoly.edu/images/TheSleds/Big_Red_One.jpg

Moderator note:

C'mon The One, you ought to know by now not to leech images. Image links deleted. ~Gedunker

Oh yeah.....whoopsy:-$ Now that I've got that out of my system.....first yellow card:-o I can move on.....try to get my life back in order:r: I better read that rules thread again for the first time:-c

;-)

noottamevas

Cyburbian

I usually watch the first 50, nap through the middle 100 and catch the last 50;)

Tresmo

Cyburbian
[ot]Yes, and along those same lines most basketball games come down to the last few minutes - so why don't they just play like 6-minute long games? It would save alot of time and trouble, not to mention wear and tear on the players....;-)[/ot]
[ot]That's about how many minutes of effort professional basketball players put out anyway. I'm all for it. :p;)
[/ot]

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
My brow is so low, I can't see.

Oh, this is going to be fun...

1. I live in an unincorporated area in Central Texas.
2. My wall calendar at my home was/is the officially-sanctioned NASCAR calendar.
2. If I'm listening to a radio station, it's most likely country or news-talk.
3. My favorite musical stylings include Americana/roots rock, rockabilly, blues, southern rock, and country-western.
4. I am getting married in May - we are having a western wedding. Our honeymoon is going to be in Branson.
5. My favorite meal consists of barbecue, and would choose bbq before any of the so-called trendy restaurants I or my friends find in Austin or Round Rock.
6. I wear $50.00 work boots from Wal-Mart to work.
7. I have a goatee. Not the trendy kind.
8. "Trick My Truck" ranks in the top 5 in my favorite TV shows, and I have repeatedly seriously contemplated becoming a trucker.
9. I have a not-so-secret admiration of actual rednecks.
10. I have a soft-spot in my heart for rundown or non-trendy places. For example: when visiting the Bay Area, California, last year with my fiancee and sister, I wanted to stay in San Jose and not venture into San Francisco. I also prefer the South Side of Chicago.
11. I'm a Fort Worth kid, not a Dallas child.
12. I like the movie Roadhouse.
13. I would rather live near Oklahoma City than Austin, even if I wasn't an OU alum.
14. I like the natural landscape of Kansas.
15. I collect baseball caps and wear them whenever I am not unallowed to.
16. I own more than one cowboy hat.
17. My desire to visit other countries, especially European countries, is practically non-existent.
18. My favorite beer is Michelob Ultra.
19. Bass Pro Shops. Kick A$$.

and last, but not least, and surely one that puts all others on my list to shame:
20. Convenience store clerks don't even question me or look at me funny when I buy Bud Ice.

zman

Cyburbian
I have repeatedly seriously contemplated becoming a trucker.
I have a soft-spot in my heart for rundown or non-trendy places.
I like the natural landscape of Kansas (or Eastern Colorado)
I'll take 3 from your list and add to mine.

Texas BBQ is good, but Memphis is better.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
Texas BBQ is good, but Memphis is better.
To each his own. I like beef and spicy sauce over pork and tangy sauce. It's all good, though. My parents like chicken and sweet sauce. It's all good, but I'll always like my Texas longhorn beef and spicy sauce.

donk

Cyburbian
A bit of a ramble...

I can't believe how many of us have lived in trailer parks. I spent 8 months in one.

My idea of getting a new car was to go from a 94 with 420k to a 92 with 330k

Most of my "low brow" items (food, TV clothing) have slowly been disappearing and I don't miss them much.

I am wearing a pair of my expensive jeans as I type this, I actually don't own any "cheap" jeans anymore. Not sure what I'll wear next year for trail building, may have to buy a pair of the carharrts you all seem to like so much.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Given the choice between reading "Jane Eyre" (or any other book that's ever been made into a costume drama) and reading Zane Gray, I'll choose the hokey western.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
  • Yesterday I had frozen pizza for lunch. Had ramen noodles the day before.
  • Simply walking down the aisles of a hardware store causes a slight flutter.
  • My last purchase was a case of Coors Banquet Beer

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
That was my go to beer for many, many years. I don't do light beer so even in college my roommate and I would go with original Coors. Plus, how you can go wrong with a beer that was the premise of an entire movie?
OHHHH 100 Lowbrow Points awarded to MD Planner for including a Burt Reynolds movie reference!!!! He's on FIRE!!!

1597327684814.png

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I wear office clothes bought at COSTCO, Meijers & Marshalls.

Does living in Southern Indiana count ?

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I drove my last car with a cracked windshield, too much bondo, total emissions failure (my state gives you a "grace year before you really have to fix it) and a headlight out and sold it to some dude for $300, cash on the barrelhead when I knew I couldn't get it inspected anymore. I never washed it and didn't vacuum out the mulch, hay particles, and other detritus for the last three years I had it because I knew I was going to be getting rid of it eventually. I'm pretty sure the guy I sold it to unplugged the check engine light and slapped a sticker on it before spraypainting the rims silver and listing it on craigslist for $2,000.

When alone, I will occasionally buy a Hungry Man TV dinner and a Foster's oil can and consume these while listening to baseball on the radio in my underwear. Total bliss.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian

You meant Kentucky North, right? Before anybody dogs me, I actually like Louisville, Bowling Green, and Northern Kentucky. Land between the Lakes is also pretty nice.