• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The most RUGGED state/provincial license plates

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I just saw a picture of this glorious license plate design, and thought it deserved a thread of its own.

nebraska_the_beef_state.jpg
I'm not a fan of photo-realism, clip art, generic or default Microsoft typefaces, but in this case, I'll grant an exception. The Nebraska Beef State license plate is ugly, but it's pretty friggin' RUGGED!

What else is out there?

nevada.jpg
The dude on this Nevada plate shot a man just because he was snorin'.

montana_nra.jpg
Ain't nobody messin' with my TRUUUUUUUCK.

kentucky.jpg
Nope. Just seeing if you're paying attention.

teddy_roosevelt.jpg
Teddy Roosevelt. He was shot in the chest while giving a speech, yet finished the speech. He had pet bears. Ain't gettin' more RUGGED than that.

Bubba

Cyburbian

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Here's from my in-laws neighbor's car down in Florida - polar bears, rocks, and ancient rock formations! Sounds pretty rugged to me!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Here's from my in-laws neighbor's car down in Florida - polar bears, rocks, and ancient rock formations! Sounds pretty rugged to me!
A plain old Nunavut plate, just by virtue of geography, makes an Alaska, Yukon, or NWT plate look like this New South Wales plate in comparison.

nsw_license_plate.jpg

Victoria, on the other hand ...

TRUUMP.jpg

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
from Colorado - if you know the history of the original training in WW2

1605727470435.png

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
A plain old Nunavut plate, just by virtue of geography, makes an Alaska, Yukon, or NWT plate look like this New South Wales plate in comparison.

I remember when I first saw that plate: I asked my FIL about it and he said it's their neighbor's son's car and he had driven down from the mining area in NW Nunavut where he is an engineer. I tried to figure out how he drove down to Naples, FL from way up there and I couldn't find any roads on Google Maps that would allow him to actually drive down from any of the "cities" (which are usually nothing more than camps made up of shipping containers turned into buildings) way up there. I'm sure some roads exist but the internet wasn't much help in finding them.

Rugged!

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I'll take those over those "In God We Trust" plates. It was so tiresome to see those when I was visiting my brother in Athens. (Indiana was the same way.) There should be no state-sanctioned religious messages on license plates whatsoever. If I were living there, I would demand that be removed or issued a set of plates that have no references to God at all. I find that deeply offensive and can't believe anyone would put up with that kind of crap. Is there any kind of opt-out, other than getting special plates like the ones above?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Wonder how many Veterans still living have this plate -
1605732081122.png

On the state page:
The surviving spouse of a veteran fitting this criteria may not obtain the plate.
The surviving spouse of a veteran fitting this criteria may not retain the plate.

Last edited:

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'll take those over those "In God We Trust" plates. It was so tiresome to see those when I was visiting my brother in Athens. (Indiana was the same way.) There should be no state-sanctioned religious messages on license plates whatsoever. If I were living there, I would demand that be removed or issued a set of plates that have no references to God at all. I find that deeply offensive and can't believe anyone would put up with that kind of crap. Is there any kind of opt-out, other than getting special plates like the ones above?

The standard plate just has Georgia and the county name; the In God We Trust is/was an alternative to the county name for folks that wanted it.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The standard plate just has Georgia and the county name; the In God We Trust is/was an alternative to the county name for folks that wanted it.
Same in Indiana - the regular issue plate did not have "In God We Trust", you had to request that specially. There was no charge, though, but all other non-standard plates did have a fee associated with them.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Same in Indiana - the regular issue plate did not have "In God We Trust", you had to request that specially. There was no charge, though, but all other non-standard plates did have a fee associated with them.
Same thing in South Carolina. It's not the "default" plate. That's this one:

1605793344383.png

Will you be "opting out" of American currency as well?

Bubba

Cyburbian

Circling back on this - I answered your main question yesterday ("Is there any kind of opt-out, other than getting special plates like the ones above?") - after reading a couple of more replies this morning, I see there's this other part of your post I failed to address:

I find that deeply offensive...

Duly noted - to each their own.

...and can't believe anyone would put up with that kind of crap.

SAC: How dare anyone have a belief that is contrary to my own!!1! :roflmao:

Last edited:

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
`
Circling back on this - I answered your main question yesterday ("Is there any kind of opt-out, other than getting special plates like the ones above?") - after reading a couple of more replies this morning, I see there's this other part of your post I failed to address:

I find that deeply offensive...

Duly noted - to each their own.

...and can't believe anyone would put up with that kind of crap.

SAC: How dare anyone have a belief that is contrary to my own!!1! :roflmao:

Let me clarify: If they want to put a religious message on their own personalized plate, then I don't care. It's just another vanity plate. But it should not be anywhere on the state issued portion of the plate. No "pre-stamped" messages at all. If they have a choice, like you said, I guess that is less of a problem. I'm just afraid it's a matter of time before we see these kind of messages on all regular issue state-issued plates in some states and there is no way that the recipient can get regular-issue plates without them.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moderator note:

This is moving toward a political discussion and we all know where to find that specifically designed thread here on Cyburbia. Take it there now. Thank you

MD Planner

Cyburbian
`

Let me clarify: If they want to put a religious message on their own personalized plate, then I don't care. It's just another vanity plate. But it should not be anywhere on the state issued portion of the plate. No "pre-stamped" messages at all. If they have a choice, like you said, I guess that is less of a problem. I'm just afraid it's a matter of time before we see these kind of messages on all regular issue state-issued plates in some states and there is no way that the recipient can get regular-issue plates without them.

You're making an issue where non exists. It's a CHOICE. Somebody here might be deeply offended by plates for the Free Masons because they're secretive, or the Parrothead plates because that promotes debauchery (in some minds). You gotta worry more about real problems instead of the cosmetic ones.