• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The Mummers Parade

Jeff

Cyburbian
Just talking with PlannerGirl and I found out she didn't know what the Mummers are....

Does anyone else need an education on this New Years tradition? Let me know....

We've been pushing for national TV coverage for a couple of years now, but I think we are still on in alot of the major markets.

You can check out www.mummers.com for some pictures, history, etc.

I walk with the Froggie Cars in the Comic Division. The Comic division is basically a bunch of drunk guys dressed in wigs, dresses and carrying umbrellas strutting down the street, gettting the crowd ready for the string bands and fancy brigades.

If you are in the area, and you come down I promise it is a day you won't forget for a long time. And then stick around for the party on 2nd Street in South Philly that night. It's pretty much Mardi Gras in Philly on New Years Day night.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Thanks Mike after my first visit to Philly last night i LOVED it *just not 6 hours in the car*

So much fun!

But Im sure I'll be nagging Scott to take me to this, i wanna see you in a SKIRT! ;-)

PG

donk

Cyburbian
The new years tradition here is a levee, basically wake up for noon then drink all that is left. The parade sounds like fun though.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I love fun parades like this... I would love to go Mardi Gras as well.

Of course, growing up in Cali, I went to the Rose Parade a few times. But my all-time favorite parade is the Pasadena Doo Dah Parade, featuring regular people being looney. The highlight for me is always the Synchronized Briefcase Drill Team (shown below).