• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The Never Ending Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

el Guapo

Capitalist
The goal is to start a thread that just never dies. You post something directly related to the prior post. It must have continuity. We will have to feed and nurture this, but I believe this crew is up to it.

I'll start by offering a seed of Germination: Madagascar

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo said:
I'll start by offering a seed of Germination: Madagascar
MONKEYS. Everything is better with a monkey - even Cyburbia tote bags!

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Re: Re: The Never Ending Thread.

bturk said:

MONKEYS. Everything is better with a monkey - even Cyburbia tote bags!
And remember what the monkey from the tote bag made its way into the House of Blues? :)

The House of Blues can produce some ferocious fumes when crowded with a bunch of monkeys carrying Cyburbia tote bags stuffed with dung. :p

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
El Guapo said:
Madagascar
A couple of years ago, I was Googling that very topic, out of sheer curiosity to broaden my geographic horizons.

Apaprently, Madagascar is a very popular tourist destination among the French, who are inclined to flock to out-of-the-way developing nations for holiday. The big destination there is Nosy Be, which is supposedly one of the most beautiful beaches in Africa. (Madagascar technically isn't in Africa, but still ...)

Interesting ethnic makeup and language, too. Many of the island's original settlers have Polynesian origins, and the Malagasy language is more closely related to Pacific languages than those heard in Africa. French, however, is now the national tongue.

All that from memory, too.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Re: The Never Ending Thread.

Dan said:

French, however, is now the national tongue.
Speaking of French... I would really like some French fries. I'm pretty hungry right now.

Hey, they said it had to relate to the previous post... it didn't say how.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Ah, fries.... Just about anything is better fried, cheese, Snicker bars, even the French.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mmmmmm... New England Clam chowder. So much better than that Manhattan stuff.

Habanero

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Mmmmmm... New England Clam chowder. So much better than that Manhattan stuff.
Speaking of Manhattan, I could go for one right now. I think I'll start preparing myself for the Denver debauchery.

because I wan't going to be the one to touch the clam thing... ;)

NHPlanner

Staff member
Planderella said:
Hmmm....after a day like this, I can certainly use a Manhattan....on the rocks, of course.
All drinks are better on the rocks...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Checked out merriam-webster online and this was the low down on debauchery:

One entry found for debauchery.

Main Entry: de·bauch·ery
Pronunciation: di-'bo-ch&-rE, -chrE, -'bä-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -er·ies
Date: 1642
1 a : extreme indulgence in sensuality b plural : ORGIES
2 archaic : seduction from virtue or duty

I like the word more and more!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Have no fear... debauchery will remain alive and well in Canada (Montreal especially).

Habanero

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Have no fear... debauchery will remain alive and well in Canada (Montreal especially).
As long as there is a Canada there will be beer- and where there is beer.. well, then there's got to be hockey!

(Speaking of hockey- did anyone see Hatcher pound that guy the other night? :) Since he hardly ever fights anymore I enjoyed it tremendously.)

NHPlanner

Staff member
TexasPlanner said:

As long as there is a Canada there will be beer- and where there is beer.. well, then there's got to be hockey!

(Speaking of hockey- did anyone see Hatcher pound that guy the other night? :) Since he hardly ever fights anymore I enjoyed it tremendously.)
Tremendous is a synonym for stupendous.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
nerudite said:
debauchery will remain alive and well in Canada (Montreal especially).
Wasn't De Bauchery Canada's last prime minister?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Speaking of tools, does anybody else hope that that colossal tool Warren Sapp and the Buccaneers loose to the 49ers this weeekend?

NHPlanner

Staff member
jtfortin said:
Speaking of tools, does anybody else hope that that colossal tool Warren Sapp and the Buccaneers loose to the 49ers this weeekend?
I'd like to read about the Warren Commission some day.

Sap from maple trees is boiled to make maple syrup in Vermont (well, other places too...but its better if its from Vermont)

NHPlanner

Staff member
NHPlanner said:

I'd like to read about the Warren Commission some day.

Sap from maple trees is boiled to make maple syrup in Vermont (well, other places too...but its better if its from Vermont)
I'm still here because I have my third night meeting in a row....Recreation Commission tonight.....

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

I'm still here because I have my third night meeting in a row....Recreation Commission tonight.....
Mary Mary (although quite contrary) had pretty maids all in a row.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
nerudite said:

Mary Mary (although quite contrary) had pretty maids all in a row.
I know there's a Marry Theresa set-up somewhere in here - oh, no, wait... that wasn't set-up, she was knocked up. Are we back to debauchery? We always seem to be there. How did we ever get off?

BKM

Cyburbian
Speaking of debauchery, who is going to watch "Surreal World" tonight? Just to see "Webster" and MC Hammer as roomies is enoughn of an incentive to me :)

JNL

Cyburbian
Hammer... back to tools... yeah I agree nerudite Tool was definitely the best concert I went to in 2002. Shihad was pretty good too - has anyone heard of the New Zealand rock band Pacifier? They changed their name from Shihad because it was thought that 'Shihad' was too similar to 'Jihad' for US audiences so they changed it before going on tour last year. Now they are called Pacifier which is the name of one of their best songs.

SGB

Cyburbian
speaking of pacifiers....

Our son never really took to one. He does, however, like a sippy cup w/ good ol' H^20 and ice at bedtime.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
"how did we ever get off"

um i think that was tied to the "killing kitties" thread

hehe

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Speaking of kittens, did anyone (other than Mastiff) realize that Oregon is "the beaver state?" Oh yeah, that one will work its way into the quarters Photoshop thread.

jmf

Cyburbian
from the beaver country

http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/hww-fap/hww-fap.cfm?ID_species=52&lang=e

Beaver
No other animal has influenced a nation's history to the extent that the beaver Castor canadensis has influenced the history of Canada. When Europeans began to settle in northern North America, beaver pelts were the prize that lured them farther and farther into the wilderness. Champlain pushed westward to extend the beaver trade in 1613. The travels of Radisson and Des Groseilliers in the Lake Superior and James Bay regions during 1659–61 were fur-trading ventures. The Hudson's Bay Company was founded in 1670 chiefly to trade for beaver fur. The Nor'westers, operating out of Montreal after 1783, went to the farthest reaches of Canada in search of beaver. Canadians now celebrate the beaver as a national symbol on stamps, coins, and emblems; in addition, literally hundreds of Canadian lakes, towns, rivers, and hill ranges bear the name of this interesting rodent.

NHPlanner

Staff member
jmf said:
interesting rodent.
Has anyone noticed that its hard to see all the dead rodents (AKA roadkill) when there's 4 feet of snow on the ground?

Jeff

Cyburbian
But it's alot easier to write your name with pee when there's snow on the ground.

donk

Cyburbian
Frank Zappa wrote a song about the dangers of eating yellow snow. Watch out where the eskimos go and don't you eat that yellow snow. And the doggy wee wee has blinded me.

Mike DeVuono said:
But it's alot easier to write your name with pee when there's snow on the ground.
I was hoping all our snow would melt while we're in A.C. this weekend, but it looks like we're going into a deep freeze. sigh.

ps. love the thread!

NHPlanner

Staff member
Even though its winter, and cold, I still won't wear a sweater, I'll stick to short sleeve golf shirts for casual Friday.

Tranplanner said:

I just picked a loose thread off my sweater.
I'm wearing my favorite new sweater I got for Christmas today.... i feel like such a young hipster - its long and grey and has one of those belt-y things.

jmf

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Even though its winter, and cold, I still won't wear a sweater, I'll stick to short sleeve golf shirts for casual Friday.
Just had to go for a walk around the office since my fingernails were turning purple......wonder if I can find something to do where I can wear mittens......

mittens which rhymes with kittens.......oh, I have to get off this cyburbia drug....

jmf said:

Just had to go for a walk around the office since my fingernails were turning purple......wonder if I can find something to do where I can wear mittens......

I just learned how to knit mittens this winter! fun-ness!

donk

Cyburbian
Kelly,

when you knit mittens are teh thumbs the proper length. I hated the mittens my grandmother knitted for me as a kid as she always made teh thumbs too short.

On a serious note, somewhat like spam, if you are looking for hat or sweater patterns Personal Message me, my mother designs and sells hand knit hats, sweaters and socks as well as the patterns for them.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Learn to knit

KMateja said:

I just learned how to knit mittens this winter! fun-ness!
Learn to knit : That's a good "to do" to add to my new "Redneck Palm Pilot"

Status
Not open for further replies.