• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

The Never Ending Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

donk

Cyburbian
health tip of the day

raw cookie dough is a potential source of salmonella.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
donk said:
health tip of the day

raw cookie dough is a potential source of salmonella.

and promiscuity is a source of syphillis. educate your children today!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
i think ill still eat my cookie dough ice cream etc

cant give that stuff up

but then again i eat med rare meat too...

whipe its backside, chop off its horns and throw it on my plate

donk

Cyburbian
I second the reare meat thing. Thatsone of the worst things about where I live, everyone thinks meat has to be cooked to the colour of shoe leather and consistency of whipped cream, even the "good" restaurants cook this way.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
nerudite said:
That's why it's better just to make steak at home.

Unless you and your wife are on opposite ends of the red meat spectrum:

Me: Med-Rare

Her: Burn It!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
PlannerGirl said:
i need to get a fireplace to burn some wood-my house is COLD

I have a fireplace, but some idiot roofed over the chiminey before I moved in.

SGB

Cyburbian
We have a beautiful sandstone fireplace in the late Victorian home we have on the market.

It has ductwork connected with the forced air heat, so it can actually heat the house if the furnace goes out.

Alas, the place we are renting has a plain jane brick fireplace....

NHPlanner

Staff member
SGB said:
We have a beautiful sandstone fireplace in the late Victorian home we have on the market.

It has ductwork connected with the forced air heat, so it can actually heat the house if the furnace goes out.

Alas, the place we are renting has a plain jane brick fireplace....

My wife works for a chimney restoration company, and we recently repained the office. She "built" a false fireplace, and painted a fire in it.

NHPlanner

Staff member
PlannerGirl said:
sheesh

this 1950s house was not built to handle the cold DC has had as of late

You sure you want to be talking about cold D? ;)

During our freeze up here in NH I had a couple of nights/mornings in my 1920's era house where the drafts had dipped the INSIDE temp to about 57 degrees.

Of course, it was still warm compared to the -10 it was outside.

Colder than a witches t*t in a brass bra is what it has been like around here.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
the inside of my house has stayed about 60 for 2 months now

yes i know we have it better off than you yanks *wink* do but we are not at all used to it

donk

Cyburbian
That is what sweaters and blankets are for.

I keep my house at about 65 when I am awake and as low as 55 when sleeping.

When I was a kid the rule was the first person up and out of bed for any reason had to build the fires in the three wood stoves. Luckily, I had a bladder of steel back then.

NHPlanner

Staff member
donk said:
That is what sweaters and blankets are for.

I keep my house at about 65 when I am awake and as low as 55 when sleeping.

When I was a kid the rule was the first person up and out of bed for any reason had to build the fires in the three wood stoves. Luckily, I had a bladder of steel back then.

My inlaws have an outdoor wood burning furnace....I'd hate to have to be the one filling that thing up in the early morning in western Maine during this cold spell!

nerudite

Cyburbian
We keep the house at about 68-70 (I'm always cold!) when we are in the house, but knock it down to about 60 at night or while we are out.

Jeff

Cyburbian
It's so cold around here I'm thinking of going ghetto this weekend and getting a kerosene heater.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
its a rental :-( so not gonna spend too much but done all we can that doesnot involve adding more insulation to the attic etc.

the gas bill shoots through the roof and one eskimo roommate seems to like it about 55

burrr

think come Aug ill be getting new room mates-warmer minded ones

SGB

Cyburbian
Our apartment is a major heat sieve; drafts everywhere around the early 70's single pane windows.

We keep the thermostat at 75F to maintain a 68F temperature inside.

Good news: heat is included with rent. Bad news: rent likely to increase with renewed lease due to heating bills. Our goal: new home purchase before that happens!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
good luck
with the new arlington property value asessments shooting sky high i have a feeling my rent will go way up too

NHPlanner

Staff member
PlannerGirl said:
good luck
with the new arlington property value asessments shooting sky high i have a feeling my rent will go way up too

Property values have shot up all over NH this year....my rent is increasing (but still very affordable in NH terms). Budgets around the state are very tight, given the state budget defecit and the huge reliance on property taxes for education funding. We're lucky where I work, since we have a new $5 million per year taxpayer on the rolls now, and if the voters approve the budget and bond initiatives, our tax rate will actually go down this year.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Speaking of rent. I no longer rent from the Man! I just owe three times the list price over 30 years! Whoo Hooo!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
SGB said:
Our apartment is a major heat sieve; drafts everywhere around the early 70's single pane windows.

We keep the thermostat at 75F to maintain a 68F temperature inside.

Good news: heat is included with rent. Bad news: rent likely to increase with renewed lease due to heating bills. Our goal: new home purchase before that happens!

Warning: Do not allow window salespeople into your home!

After a 2 hour presentation about the best space-age windows in the world she gives us the $11,000 estimate for our little 30's cape. When we refuse the package she "casually" phones the boss who just happens to be in a good mood and offers to lower the price if we allow our house on their website. The next day the company calls up and offers to come by again. When I say no she says "ok-I'll-be-there-tomorrow-at-7:00" really fast and hangs up.

donk

Cyburbian
$11 000 USD is worth more then the house that i will soon own, only 15 more payments and all 800 square feet are mine all mine.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
My property taxes are going to shoot sky high. The city where I live has the worst bond rating in the COUNTRY because of decades of mismanagement - unfunded pension fund used to plug the budget defecit. Its not a run down community either.

donk

Cyburbian
The $350 a year I pay in property tax is teh best investment I can make. Why? My salary is funded exclusively from property taxes.

el Guapo

Capitalist
If you ever develop multiple personalities you could tell yourself you pay your own salary.

donk

Cyburbian
When my parent's complain about their property taxes I remind them of the 4 years I worked in their jurisdiction.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
My property taxes are going to shoot sky high. The city where I live has the worst bond rating in the COUNTRY because of decades of mismanagement - unfunded pension fund used to plug the budget defecit. Its not a run down community either.

My taxes went up 32% this year. GD neighborhood revitalization and Main Street (it really is called Main Street) program. My neighborhood is now yuppie/college kid heaven.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
My neighborhood is a mix of college kids and senior citizens. Not many people in the 30-55 age range.

Mary Poppins

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:

My taxes went up 32% this year. GD neighborhood revitalization and Main Street (it really is called Main Street) program. My neighborhood is now yuppie/college kid heaven.

My mom called my husband a yuppie the first time she met him!!:)

NHPlanner

Staff member
Mary Poppins said:

My mom called my husband a yuppie the first time she met him!!:)

I was mistakenly called a yuppie a few years ago.....

prudence

Cyburbian
Some of us ARE yuppies.

Have the SUV, sports car, and motorcycle...eat out too much, go to the gym too much, live in the trendy/chic part of town, looking for a loft downtown, shop only at certain places...oh yeah, and REPUBLICAN.

I make my Dad's head hurt...but my Grandma still loves me.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Prudence dear drop the republican part and id marry you *wink*

ole dave here says im working on "super trixie" status-though i dont own a luxury car, yet anyway.

can a yuppie be far left on the political scale?

Planderella

Cyburbian
prudence said:
Some of us ARE yuppies.

Have the SUV, sports car, and motorcycle...eat out too much, go to the gym too much, live in the trendy/chic part of town, looking for a loft downtown, shop only at certain places...oh yeah, and REPUBLICAN.

I make my Dad's head hurt...but my Grandma still loves me.

Sounds like a line from one of Brett Easton Ellis's novels.....perhaps "American Psycho?"

Status
Not open for further replies.