• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

The Never Ending Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Planderella said:

Sounds like a line from one of Brett Easton Ellis's novels.....perhaps "American Psycho?"

Oh...so that's what happens to Prudences love interests. ;)

The Misfits released a (terrible...no Glenn Danzig on vocals) album called American Psycho in 1997.

NHPlanner

Staff member
donk said:
Teble charge had a hit here last year with a song called american psycho.

I have the Treble Charger song "Hundred Million" in my playlist on Winamp.

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

I like musicmatch better than winamp... but then my ex-b.f. is an executive there so I get all the high-priced versions of the software for free. ;)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
NHPlanner said:

I always liked the Dodge Challenger better than the Charger. Until I put in a 440 and bent the frame...

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I remember in the 1980's everyone who was anyone had a Ron Jon Surf Shop t-shirt from Cocoa Beach.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
jtfortin said:
I remember in the 1980's everyone who was anyone had a Ron Jon Surf Shop t-shirt from Cocoa Beach.

I have friends in Cocoa Beach

NHPlanner

Staff member
PlannerGirl said:
there is a nice memorial to the Challenger in Cocoa beach

Christa McAuliffe was a teacher at my high school. I was in 6th grade at the time of the explosion.....

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
i was in 6th grade too-we had it live on a TV in our class-never forget seeing that and the teacher screaming then trying to tell all of us that it was all ok

we are were not THAT young

NHPlanner

Staff member
PlannerGirl said:
i was in 6th grade too-we had it live on a TV in our class-never forget seeing that and the teacher screaming then trying to tell all of us that it was all ok

we are were not THAT young

Imagine that scenario with TV cameras watching you....that is what my hometown was like that day...all of the national news crews were there covering the first teacher in space....I still have a lot of the news from that day on tape (we were released from school after the explosion). I'll never forget that day as long as I live....from the excitement of one of our own from Concord going up in the shuttle to the tragedy....burned permanently in my memory.

Jeff

Cyburbian
That's one of the events that will be forever with you, like the WTC. I guess everyone who was a student at the time had their TVs on in the classroom watching that.

prudence

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:
That's one of the events that will be forever with you, like the WTC. I guess everyone who was a student at the time had their TVs on in the classroom watching that.

It is?!? I can't say I have ever thought about it since the day it happened.

It is a tragedy, of course. But not like the WTC, Pentagon events. There is some assumed risk with volunteering to hurtle yourself into space.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I think we all have some things forever burned into our minds-
The Pentagon was harder for me becouse I have friends and family here I could not reach that day-i was totaly whacked the hell out. I was 5 hours away and scared.

The Challenger-i had just moved overseas and was scared anyway

The Murrow building-realizing someone could be that hateful

The Panama' mess-that was "home" and it was hard on me

the gulf war-i was just turning 18 and all my guy friends were scared

el Guapo

Capitalist
I remember watching the 5:00 TV news thinking that if my Dad got killed that day in Vietnam they would tell me. I was 8. I never missed the news for a year.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
prudence said:

It is?!? I can't say I have ever thought about it since the day it happened.

It is a tragedy, of course. But not like the WTC, Pentagon events. There is some assumed risk with volunteering to hurtle yourself into space.

No, its not the same as those, but for people around my age (28) it was the only event where the teacher had to come in and tell us this big tragedy happened. I guess we're pretty lucky that was the worse national disaster of our childhoods.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
The one that sticks out in my mind was the Gulf War. My boyfriend of the time was in the army that was scary. I remember being at my sisters volleyball game right after they declared war, and like always, we sang the Stary Spangled Banner and EVERYONE was choked up. I was bawling my fool head off.

prudence

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:

No, its not the same as those, but for people around my age (28) it was the only event where the teacher had to come in and tell us this big tragedy happened. I guess we're pretty lucky that was the worse national disaster of our childhoods.

I am your age...it just never made a significant impression upon me. As jfortin stated, the Reagan episode.

The event I recall most from a child was the hostage crisis and the last episode of M*A*S*H...

NHPlanner

Staff member
PlannerGirl said:
lol are you hungry Tran?

I'm hungry....I haven't stopped for lunch today.....leaving the office early to run some errands.

donk

Cyburbian
one of my pet peeves is how everyone around here(hometown, not cyburbia) goes on about sugar donuts and great they are, even the ones from Tim Hortons. I just don't get it. Give me a good honey crueller(sp?) or walnut crunch and I'm happy, but a plain sugar donut????

Seabishop

Cyburbian
donk said:
one of my pet peeves is how everyone around here(hometown, not cyburbia) goes on about sugar donuts and great they are, even teh ones from Tim Hortons. I just don't get it. Give me a good honey crueller(sp?) or walnut crunch and I'm happy, but a plain sugar donut????

Krispy Kreme is beginning their invasion of New England with a new store 2 minutes away from me - decreasing my life expectancy by about 25 years. They opened up a temporary store there for a week. I thought I would try it but there were lines of about a hundred people at all times in teh cold. People act like their the best things on earth - and then they just describe them as warm glazed donuts.

SGB

Cyburbian
donk said:
Tim Hortons

I know a Canandian physician working in northern NY who wants to retire and bring Tim Hortons into the states as a second career.

donk

Cyburbian
One of my biggest planning mistakes was reccomending for teh approval of a tim horton's drive thru. The drive thru queues 7 deep on the property, turns out onto a side street, queues 10 more deep and at a bad timeof the day will turn onto an arterial road and queue down it.

The city had to erect no standing signs and have ticketed people for blocking traffic.

As for TH entering the states, they have a strategic alliance with Wendy's now, expect to see them on the interstate shortly.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[wgfl]

Any uh y'all eat at that Radio Grill at thuh new Wal-Mart? The girl working behind the counter is a lil' hottie ... she kinda' looks like that Camryn Manheim, only she's got that pretty Glamour Shots hair. If she wasn't pregnant and datin' the super at thuh jahbsite, I'd ask 'er out!

Justaminit ... Nextel's goin' off, damnit!

[/wgfl]

SGB

Cyburbian
donk said:
As for TH entering the states, they have a strategic alliance with Wendy's now, expect to see them on the interstate shortly.

Wahoo! I can't wait. My wife & I would frequent TH on trips to and fro Ottawa when we lived a mere 1.5 hrs south in NY state.

donk

Cyburbian
I think I saw an ad recently for TH on the rochester cable station I get, or it could have been detroit or bangor.

NHPlanner

Staff member
donk said:
I think I saw an ad recently for TH on the rochester cable station I get, or it could have been detroit or bangor.

I know that there is a Tim Hortons in South Portland, Maine....its the only one I've seen outside of Canada.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I'm pretty sure there is at least one Timmy's in Buffalo...

We have two KKs in the Toronto area now - tried them once, wasn't that impressed. I'm not a huge donut fan.

jmf

Cyburbian
Dan said:
[wgfl]

Any uh y'all eat at that Radio Grill at thuh new Wal-Mart? The girl working behind the counter is a lil' hottie ... she kinda' looks like that Camryn Manheim, only she's got that pretty Glamour Shots hair. If she wasn't pregnant and datin' the super at thuh jahbsite, I'd ask 'er out!

Justaminit ... Nextel's goin' off, damnit!

[/wgfl]

Th new Wal-mart opened in my town next door today. I guess the whole area was a zoo! I live in the third of three communities which have kind of grown to meet each other. The frist is a quaint university town with nice shops and good restaurants. The second is a strip with horrible traffic, especially on weekends, where most people do a lot of shopping (the two big grocery stores are there). Third, where I live, is a service centre - insurance, banking, accountants, lawyers offices.

So, I'm not quite sure where I will go grocery shopping htis weekend since the new Wal-mart will make getting to the grocery store almost impossible.

Aaaarrrggghhhh

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I used to be a cashier at Ann & Hope - the nation's first discount retail chain. It was originally started on a boat somewhere and was the first to have shopping carts and a row of registers out front. Supposedly, its founder personally taught WalMart's founder everything he knew about retailing - and you guessed it, Ann & Hope went under a few years ago due to competition with WalMart.

nerudite

Cyburbian
My first boyfriend had a thing for Hope on Days of our Lives. I think her name was Christian or Kristen or something like that.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have never ever watched more than 2 minutes of a soap opera....unless you include 90210 and Melrose Place as Soap Operas. In that case, I have watched plenty.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Melrose was my favorite shopping street in LA. I used to like to go to Aardvark's Odd Ark to get vintage clothing when I was in high school. The trench coat selection was particularly good in the 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.