• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

The Never Ending Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I never wash my car either. Usually once per year in April. It drives Prudence nuts. But my car is aluminum body so rust isnt an issue.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
TexasPlanner said:
I bought a black car and then moved to the desert. I have to wash it or it looks awful.

I hear you Tex....two black cars in my family, and NH road salt all winter is not a good mix.

bturk said:
I never wash my car either. Usually once per year in April. It drives Prudence nuts. But my car is aluminum body so rust isnt an issue.
This winter you've not had as much salt on the roads though there, right? Rob's been washing our cars about twice a month this winter since everything has been such a mess.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
my saturn is silver and most the time in the last couple months it looks white. gave it a bath last week and i was amazed how shiney it was under all the salt

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
KMateja said:

This winter you've not had as much salt on the roads though there, right? Rob's been washing our cars about twice a month this winter since everything has been such a mess.

ONe would think but no, they're salting all the time because its raining just above freezing temps, and they just to keep a brine on the roads. My red SUV is white.

Planderella

Cyburbian
I absolutely love sterling silver (never wear gold). I wanted a silver Escape but the dealership didn't have any.

Planderella said:
I absolutely love sterling silver (never wear gold). I wanted a silver Escape but the dealership didn't have any.
I never wore gold until i married Rob, aka Jr. Mr T. He's from a jewelry family, as in they all like to buy and wear.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
KMateja said:

I never wore gold until i married Rob, aka Jr. Mr T. He's from a jewelry family, as in they all like to buy and wear.

Polish jewelers.

*must..... hold..... back...... insensitive...... joke.....*

Mastiff

Gunfighter
KMateja said:

Mr. T does phone company commercials... Are they trying to outdo one another in the "lamest spokesperson" department?

1-800-COLLECT - Mr. T
1-800-CALL ATT - Carrottop
10-10-220 - Alf

Losers who can't afford a long distance telephone plan, so I guess they've got the right spokespeople picked out.

David Arquette was particularly dreadful.

prudence

Cyburbian
Am I the only one who doesn't find Winona Ryder the least bit attractive?? She's not cute.

Planderella

Cyburbian
I heard that prisoners make random collect calls just to talk to anyone. A friend of my mom would accept the calls then pray/preach to them.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I thought everyone used their cell phones for long distance calls?!

I had to order my silver saturn, i love silver, Scott has noticed thats all i wear so hes been smart and given me steel or white gold jewelry

Mastiff

Gunfighter
PlannerGirl said:
I had to order my silver saturn, i love silver, Scott has noticed thats all i wear so hes been smart and given me steel or white gold jewelry

Yeah, they don't make gold handcuffs, do they? ;)

Habanero

Cyburbian
I like titanium, platnium, or white gold. I'd take a diamond if it's offered, but I think we're going to settle on a sapphire or blue topaz.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
prudence said:
Am I the only one who doesn't find Winona Ryder the least bit attractive?? She's not cute.

You are the first person I have ever heard say that. I think she is very cute.

The Cell Block Tango was much better in the broadway version of Chicago, but still very good in the movie, none the less.

SGB

Cyburbian
I've never seen Chicago, either on screen or stage. In fact, it's been ages since I've any stage or screen production. Sigh....

el Guapo

Capitalist
I used to change trains in Chicago - I'd jump off the train and get to the top of the Sears Tower and then back on the next train in less than an hour.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Right now I'm debating on paying for the bus to the NYC Marathon or do I take the train in?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I read an article awhile back about a super-cheap way to travel between Philly and New York - apparently there are a bunch of Chinese-oriented bus companies that offer super low fares between the Chinatowns in these two cities. Can't remember if it was a New York Times article, or where it was...

Jeff

Cyburbian
I just pull out my FD Badge and ride the Acela from Philly to NYC for free...

Jeff

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
Then you would take the bus....why?

No its a bus for runners only, to get to the start. There isn't any other way to get there unless you walk from the train station.

SGB

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I read an article awhile back about a super-cheap way to travel between Philly and New York - apparently there are a bunch of Chinese-oriented bus companies that offer super low fares between the Chinatowns in these two cities. Can't remember if it was a New York Times article, or where it was...

There was story about this on NPR (National Public Radio) also. I believe the buses run from Washington D.C. to Philly and NYC.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Yup the busses have been all over the Post and such here-the red dragon express etc. real cheap but id still rather take the train.

its the whole point-its the TRAIN

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I am in a "reading rut" I seem to start a book, read a few pages, then give up on that book. I have started like 4 books over the past month but I just can't keep with them.

nerudite

Cyburbian
bturk said:

They were much better than the films.

I'm afraid to see many films for that reason. I'll love a book, and then just hate the film. Possesion is one of the best books I've read, and so I still haven't seen the film. Based on what happened to the English Patient, the Shipping News, etc... it's going to be a long time before I go to another movie based on a novel I've read.

On the flip side, I'm thinking about reading "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind", just because the movie was so intriguing.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
I read an article awhile back about a super-cheap way to travel between Philly and New York - apparently there are a bunch of Chinese-oriented bus companies that offer super low fares between the Chinatowns in these two cities.

There's a bunch of Mexican bus companies with routes between El Paso and a ton of cities in the US. The fares are cheap, and you get to watch Mexican movies on board!

Status
Not open for further replies.