• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

The Never Ending Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Did anyone see on the national news last night about some guy in New England who duct taped and plastic wrapped his entire house?

Now how long do you leave that stuff up?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
now the story comes out that much of the latest terrorist scare is a lie

i honestly wonder if the...putz, i mean prez wanted that cooked up to get more support for lashing out at Iraq.

the whole tape thing is down right silly-idiots

donk

Cyburbian
Was there not 10-15 minutes of information missing from President Nixon's Watergate tapes?

PlannerGirl said:
now the story comes out that much of the latest terrorist scare is a lie

i honestly wonder if the...putz, i mean prez wanted that cooked up to get more support for lashing out at Iraq.

the whole tape thing is down right silly-idiots
The mayor of NYC was on the Today show this morning and I caught a snippet of it. Basically he tried to downplay the code red warning, and made comments that no new information has come in on any plots. And Guv'na George was on the news last night trying to settle people down and keep the panic at bay. Too late, methinks the cows are out of the barn.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I gave up the Catholic church in 1987 when my god daughter was born. The priest initially wouldn't allow me to be the godfather because I didn't attend church often enough. My sister pitched a hissy and told him she'd find a church that would accept me as the godfather. He recanted and decided that perhaps for a larger cotribution to the church he would allow it.

Case closed. You blew it twice, buddy:
1. Extortion.
2. Going 180 on your values.
I'm catholic, but that's a crock of $&!*. The one I belong to here, but haven't gone but maybe once or twice (holds head in shame) is awesome. Chad and I did are premarriage stuff here and we got off SO easy. We had to meet with the priest twice and that was it. No classes or meetings with other couples, no weekend seminar thing. Plus, we lived together before marriage, and I wasn't going to lie about it. He didn't even blink.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Unfortunately, there are some real hard core parishes, but it's crap like that that makes people shy away from Catholicism.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I can be a pretty shy person until you get to know me. Then you won't be able to get me to shut up.

SGB

Cyburbian
As a Protestant married to a Catholic, I especially appreciate the little "welcome but you're really not welcome" essay in the front of the Catholic prayer books. ;)

jmf

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Unfortunately, there are some real hard core parishes, but it's crap like that that makes people shy away from Catholicism.

My sister in law and her husband had to do the course thing. They live in BC and their priest in NS would not marry them if they took a course in BC so they had to come home for a long weekend just to take the marriage course.

Paul and I avoided all that, we were married by a friend who is a judge and I'm not Catholic so we didn't have deal with that either. Mind you, now he is going to hell but........I'm worth it, aren't I?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
jmf said:

My sister in law and her husband had to do the course thing. They live in BC and their priest in NS would not marry them if they took a course in BC so they had to come home for a long weekend just to take the marriage course.

Paul and I avoided all that, we were married by a friend who is a judge and I'm not Catholic so we didn't have deal with that either. Mind you, now he is going to hell but........I'm worth it, aren't I?

I grew up catholic, Erica was in the process of becoming catholic while we were engaged. We met with the priest in Maine a few times, had to take some test, and did a engaged encounter weekend. The weekend wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (we got home just in time for the opening kickoff of the Pats-Steelers AFC Championship game), and weren't given any problems for living in sin (we've lived together since Dec. 2000).

There are parishes that suck....the one I grew up in being one of them. The priest there was arrested in "pickle park" and robbed, and found drunk. I stopped going there shortly thereafter. He was one of the priests that "retired" during the recent scandals, and while the rest of my parents and grandparents have gone back, my family has remained at the parish I switched to.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Mike DeVuono said:
Did anyone see on the national news last night about some guy in New England who duct taped and plastic wrapped his entire house?

Now how long do you leave that stuff up?

If you noticed the numbnuts had not painted it in decades. It looked better in plastic!

el Guapo

Capitalist
PlannerGirl said:
...the whole tape thing is down right silly-idiots

There was a time you taped up so the vapors wouldn't get in the hallway where the RA would smell them and call the police. See Mom, I learned to fight terror in college!

Not me of course - I'm talking about other youth that did such things.

donk

Cyburbian
EG,

if questioned harshly, an acceptable answer is that you did not inhale.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
donk said:
EG,

if questioned harshly, an acceptable answer is that you did not inhale.

I'd suggest the more millitary "I cannot confirm or deny that" answer for EG...

SGB

Cyburbian
It's not just American politics

donk said:

I thought greed and graft were the cornerstones of American politics.

"Zaire is broke, but its former president is a billionaire. Ten years ago, Mobutu Sese Seko estimated his personal wealth at $50 million. “What is that after 22 years as head of state of such a big country?” he said at the time. Today, his fortune, after three decades of greed and graft , is believed to be 100 times higher: nearly $5 billion."

donk

Cyburbian
Zaire is now the Democratic Repulic of the Congo. I wonder if that is anything like the Great Leaders idea of a democratic republic?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
donk said:
Zaire is now the Democratic Repulic of the Congo. I wonder if that is anything like the Great Leaders idea of a democratic republic?

They never changed it on the Risk board...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
We used to play Risk for hours, including some games that would not end until the next morning.

donk

Cyburbian
I only ever played it in university. We had a few games that went on for weeks, with people rotating through. There were times when you would be the axis then 2 days later you replaced someone who had to study and were then the allies. Made for some weird alliances and strategies.

I currently don't really play board games, except trivial pursuit when drinking.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
donk said:

I currently don't really play board games, except trivial pursuit when drinking.

I am very good at Trivial Pursuit.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
UTI's suck ... and you shouldn't have to go to the doctor to have them tell you that you have one in order to prescribe a precription. If you've had one you know what it is when you get it again, trust me.

donk

Cyburbian
Much like you I avoided Dr.'s until the past year now visiting them is how I use up my lieu time.You are not missing much.

An example:

I am having nerve/circulation problems in my legs and feet and told my Dr. that they are cold all of the time, his response, wear warmer socks and boots. I now have a case of frostbite on my toe that is pretty serious because I could not tell the difference between normal cold and really cold.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Planderella said:
Ugh.....I don't know anyone who enjoys going to the doctor.

My 3 y/o does, if we drive by the office, he yells doctor, doctor and then cries if we pass by. Maybe he will become one and support his old man someday.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Last weekend I had too many shots of Vanillacuddys (or maybe it was all the beer I drank with them). I had a nice headache the next morning.

JNL

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:
I had a nice headache the next morning.

My headache recipe for Sunday = 6 beers + 7 or 8 vodka, lime and sodas on Sat night.

But the headache didn' t last long. ! I seem to be building up a tolerance for vodka. Is this a good or a bad thing?

JNL

Cyburbian
I usually drink Smirnoff or Absolut. Dunno what all the bars use though. Sometimes they pour spirits from unmarked bottles...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SGB said:

I'd say it depends on the vodka you drink! ;)

Absolut -ly!

My fav brand is Skyy Citrus. I can drink it till I'm la-la and never feel bad the next day. Smirnoff on the other hand, will put me in a funk for days....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
jtfortin said:
I like Kettel One..vodka doesn't get much smoother than that!

Last fall a friend of mine got 12 stiches in his noggin after drinking a bottle of Kettel One and running (not well) down the stairwell from his loft condo... Who would guess that the St Mary's emergency room is filled with nurses that don't appreciate public drunkeness???

Repo Man

Cyburbian
It has been my experience that Columbia doesn't like that either. My cousin had to be taken there for something not alcohol related late on a Friday night. I got to see all kinds of drunken injuries and alcohol poisoning cases come through the doors. You could tell that the staff would get more and more frustrated as the night went on.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Its all poison! You people put that stupid sauce in your bodies and you end up hurting yourself....

SGB

Cyburbian
I've had to call the regional Poison Control Center twice thus far about stuff my son has consumed.

Somehow I think that must be a relatively low number of times for a 3 year old....

Status
Not open for further replies.