• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

The Never Ending Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
OfficialPlanner is the only other cyburbanite I've met - and that was yesterday. Hopefully I'll be meeting jmf soon!

jmf

Cyburbian
My bags aren't packed yet but I am definitely counting the days 'til TO!!! We will have to make a lunch date.

el Guapo

Capitalist
bturk said:
Oh I kknew what it was (remember my avatar from flag week?)
I just think 99% of the population has no concept of these things. Around here most people dont know about the yellow 'equal' sign on the blue background for the HRC either.

I thought that was for Enterprise Rent A Car. Really. What is it Brian?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
The occupant of the apartment next door to me hasn't taken out his garbage in 4 days. It smells terrible in the hallway.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lol im having a little trash protest-the guy roomies never seem to manage to take the trash to the curb, ever wed AM i have to hurry the big green monster to the curb in my nice work outfits. they both are at home all day tues and the dont bring the green monster back to the house, again all dressed up i have to wheel it back to the house.

so the last 2 weeks its sat there filling up-its now totaly full and i did not take it out again. they will learn

*i hope*

Jeff

Cyburbian
Trash collection in Philly is suspended until further notice....and I forgot to put it out last week....eeewww.

SGB

Cyburbian
We've got mandatory county-wide recycling reenforced by a pay-by-bag garbag system run by private waste haulers.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
pete-rock said:
Puts me in the top 50.

If this was anywhere but the never ending thread, I'd delete some of your posts for post padding....see the FAQ

SGB

Cyburbian
I've owned cars w/ axles of evil. At least that's how my mechanic referred to 'em.

donk

Cyburbian
Now that I am paying my student loan those $7.50 pitchers from university of beer were not so cheap.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
student loans suck-now i wonder if my degree was worth all this. sad thing is my payment are cheaper than many of my friends and its still hard to get that money together every month

i think to myslef if i did not have this student loan i could:
live alone
have a better car
take that trip
pay off all my other debt in a hurry

go back to school!

lol isnt that last one a kicker!

donk

Cyburbian
I keep thinking about going back to school, but the thought of the debt I would incur now to do it makes it distasteful.

I am just happy I went through school when the majority of aid was in bursraries, not guaranteed loans.

Rob's student loan rate is down to 2.6%, I stupidly consolidated when they dropped to 6%. We've got about 6 more years of paying out to Salliemae. I love their website though - we channel a little extra money each month to one of our loans and it makes me so happy when we finally pay one off (Rob had 9, I have 2).

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
2 more years left on mine. woo hoo! I was lucky though and only borrowed for grad school. Still, the extra cash will be great to have.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I guess I was lucky...I made it through university without having to go into debt. Between the money I saved working two jobs before I went away (and of course being a non-spending geek), and the co-op education option I took, I was able to scrape by.

Some timely loans (which turned out to be grants) from the 1st National Parental Savings and Loan Co. also helped.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

If this was anywhere but the never ending thread, I'd delete some of your posts for post padding....see the FAQ

No offense meant. Just thought the never ending thread was the kind of thread where that might be a little forgiven.

donk

Cyburbian
Personally,

Either law ( I know), masters of public administration (already have a thesis topic in mind) or masters of landscape architecture (already have a thesis topic in mind).

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I would really like to take a landscape architecture course or two. It would come in handy when reviewing plans.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:
I would really like to take a landscape architecture course or two. It would come in handy when reviewing plans.

Agreed. With a strong science (geography) and economics background, it would be nice to get into something a little more design-oriented.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tranplanner said:
I'm looking at a Masters in Public Administration too...

I finished mine in '95. It's extremely helpful and I recommend it highly.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
bturk said:

I finished mine in '95. It's extremely helpful and I recommend it highly.

Thanks! Now I just have to find the matchbook with the right ad in it, and I'm set!

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I'd lean more toward a Master's in Landscape Architecture.

If I was going to do a sweeping career change, I'd go back for a Ph.D. in Planning or Public Policy and teach.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Mike DeVuono said:
Get an engineering degree....

If I could get one part time, I would...but a civil M. Eng. in transportation planning looks like it would require going back to school full-time.

ugh. just the thought of going back to school makes me cringe. I enjoy the learning of new things, and the reading. but i hate hate hate assignments and tests. not that i'm a bad test taker, but studying just sucks. just spending the time. blargh.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
No way!

Mike DeVuono said:
Get an engineering degree....

1. Engineering requires lots of math. I suck at math.

2. Engineers are quickly moving up my list as being part of the "dark side", with large home builders and many politicians.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: No way!

pete-rock said:

2. Engineers are quickly moving up my list as being part of the "dark side", with large home builders and many politicians.

I would add sign contractors to that list.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
It has been my experience that a large segment of the engineering profession has terrible people skills.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
jtfortin said:
It has been my experience that a large segment of the engineering profession has terrible people skills.

I'll second that. The one and only engineer I ever had to work for was a complete a$$hole.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Ugh...

jtfortin said:

My firm partners with engineering firms simply to be the "people persons" on projects. Our presentations come across so much better, they say.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Ugh...

pete-rock said:

My firm partners with engineering firms simply to be the "people persons" on projects. Our presentations come across so much better, they say.

I have found this to be true more in the private sector than the public. I think that engineers working for a municipality usually have good people skills (especially those that are under the age of 40), at least those that deal with the public fairly often... I worked with a lot of engineers when I was an engineering program manager with Vancouver (I know... I'm sure my fellow planners' esteem of me have gone down now ;) ), and many of them were very helpful with the public. The scam is the more incompetent they appear at public speaking and people skills, the more hearings and public meetings they get to skip...

Jeff

Cyburbian
You don't have to go to school to work as an engineer, just to get licensed without 10+ years experience.

You wouldn't believe the number of engineers/designers I know who are strictly trained on the job, alot don't even have a college degree.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mike DeVuono said:
You don't have to go to school to work as an engineer, just to get licensed without 10+ years experience.

You wouldn't believe the number of engineers/designers I know who are strictly trained on the job, alot don't even have a college degree.

Yes I would. I work with some of those idiots.

biscuit

Cyburbian
This should be on the Claim to Shame, oops...I mean Fame, thread. I read somewhere that Greenville, SC has the highest per-capita concentration of engineers in the US.

No wonder the state has such a bad rep with its edubication system.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Wisconsin is home to some of our country's most famous serial killers, including Ed Guen and Jefrey Dahmer.

jmf

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
This should be on the Claim to Shame, oops...I mean Fame, thread. I read somewhere that Greenville, SC has the highest per-capita concentration of engineers in the US.

No wonder the state has such a bad rep with its edubication system.

I am married to an engineer and chances are someday I will live in Greenville, SC.

biscuit

Cyburbian
jmf said:

I am married to an engineer and chances are someday I will live in Greenville, SC.

That's nothing to be ashamed of. I'm related to a couple of Greenville engineers myself and I've learned to accept them for who they are. Because I know that engineering wasn't a career choice...they were born that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.