• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

The Never Ending Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Biscuit - maybe I missed it or forgot, but where's your new job at?

biscuit

Cyburbian
bturk said:
Biscuit - maybe I missed it or forgot, but where's your new job at?

To be honest, I don't think I ever announced it. I took a new job and relocated to Pittsburgh.

I think I'm going to like it here. The people seem are nice enough. Although, they keep asking me about the Confederate flag, the Civil War and how often I went to Myrtle Beach. I guess that's what I get for wearing that clan hood and rebel flag tee shirt to work on my first day.

Last edited:

biscuit

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:
Pittsburgh....

Are you sick of the word yin yet?

Not yet. I'm a sucker for accents and little regionalisms like "Yin's guys." In fact, I've decided to change my posting signature just so I can fit in more.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
i thought "youz'guys" was a NY thing, Long Island in fact.

but then again folks in Richmond Va sound much like Boston with

"cahh" aka car or "hooose" aka house

jmf said:

I am married to an engineer and chances are someday I will live in Greenville, SC.
I know we've talked about this before, but i think Greenville is such a great little city.

jmf

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

I know we've talked about this before, but i think Greenville is such a great little city.

I think I would like to be in Greenville for a while. Not forever but for a while. I really didn't get enogh time there last year so I am hoping he has to go for business again and I can go with.

So if you lived in Greenville, where woud you work? If I want to work there I have to get a job before I go down, according to the Free Trade agreement.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
jmf said:

If I want to work there I have to get a job before I go down, according to the Free Trade agreement.

I think that depends on whether you go there on an individual permit, or a family permit...if your husband gets a job, get a family permit and you should be able to find yourself work after relocating. I think.

jmf said:

So if you lived in Greenville, where woud you work? If I want to work there I have to get a job before I go down, according to the Free Trade agreement.
If you're really interested, PM me. A couple of places I would highly advise, a couple places I'd hate on.

SGB

Cyburbian
I don't think I could ever move to the Southern U.S. I enjoy the diversity of seasons here in the Northeast too much, snowstorms, ice storms (INCOMING!) and all.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I grew-up about an hour west of Greenville and I think it is is a nice city it has more to offer than many of the same size. But it and most other newly urban areas in the South lack the density and diversity of Northern cities, like Pittsburgh. Othern than my family, I miss the food (Sweet tea, HUGE Sunday dinners and grits!!!) and the laid-back lyfestyle. 3 o'clock in the afteroon in Charleston...its time for a cocktail!

biscuit said:
I grew-up about an hour west of Greenville and I think it is is a nice city it has more to offer than many of the same size. But it and most other newly urban areas in the South lack the density and diversity of Northern cities, like Pittsburgh. Othern than my family, I miss the food (Sweet tea, HUGE Sunday dinners and grits!!!) and the laid-back lyfestyle. 3 o'clock in the afteroon in Charleston...its time for a cocktail!
Biscuit, you're from Walhalla? :)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
This is not a good day in the US. 60 dead in a nightclub, 26 dead in an explosion at a Kentucky factory, and a huge explosion and oil spill in NY which hopefully isn't terrorism.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Somewhere someone LOC will blame G.W. Bush before the evening news. Their comments will get 20% of the news time spent on this story tonight.

biscuit

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

Biscuit, you're from Walhalla? :)

Close. Very, very close.

How do you even know where Oconee County is? That's the edge of the world as far as the rest of SC is concerned.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I grew-up in Tamassee, otherwise known as six horse pastures and a zip-code, and actually did one semester of my undergrad at Clemson. I still make it back a couple time a season to tail-gate with old friends and more rowdy members of my family.

Does your blood runneth orange?

donk

Cyburbian
One of my favourite, albeit hazy memories, from university is going to a Michigan Wolverines football game and the tailgate party.

The most impressive thing was the parking on the fairways of the golf course and people respecting the greens and sand traps as they defiled nearly everything else.

biscuit said:
I grew-up in Tamassee, otherwise known as six horse pastures and a zip-code, and actually did one semester of my undergrad at Clemson. I still make it back a couple time a season to tail-gate with old friends and more rowdy members of my family.

Does your blood runneth orange?
Tamassee? that really is out there!

as for tailgating, my most humiliating of all drinking stories is a result of a tailgating episode for clemson.

donk

Cyburbian
PG

Actually, you did have a football team...its a North American thing to call it soccer.

K

i take it it is the downtown passed out kelly brown incident that we have heard rumours of?

biscuit

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
we had no foot ball team-we had SOCCER!

Neither did the College I recieved my degree from. I didn't know what I was missing though, b/c my high school didn't have football team. For all it's worth, my high school didn't have a soccor team either... Maybe I was deprived.

biscuit

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

Tamassee? that really is out there!

as for tailgating, my most humiliating of all drinking stories is a result of a tailgating episode for clemson.

I've got a couple of less than proud war stories of my own. They're what makes your educational experience worth-while!

SGB

Cyburbian
My undergrad educational experience was made worth-while when I met my future wife there. :)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
PlannerGirl said:
i was pretty str8t laced in college

I was on and off in college. Lost my scholarship for a semester (but got it back) after a particularly "intoxicating" semester. My dad drove from NH to IN to pick me up that year, and I was supposed to finish a term paper that day. I went out the night before, got lit, and was sleeping through my alarm when he arrived at my dorm. I was told I smelled like a brewery, and scrambled to finigh the paper. Then began the looooonnnnngest drive of my life, hungover for 22 hours with my dad driving back to NH. He later told me he had to laugh...because it was something he'd have done in college too.

I did however, end up with consecutive 4.0 semesters to finish school.....

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I kind of screwed off my first semester in college, but after that I did pretty well, while keeping the Thurs-Sat party schedule intact.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
NHPlanner said:

I did however, end up with consecutive 4.0 semesters to finish school.....

My first year GPA was 1.37, but I rebounded and missed graduating with honors by .01... Less than my average blood alcohol level that first semester, I'll bet!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Whoo Hoo...!!

A solid 2.7 for me, and still got the jobs of my choice. Of course, maybe if Spanish, Philosophy, Psychology, etc weren't included in that I could've pulled out the 3.7

donk

Cyburbian
My school had this weird 13 point system (A+=13 then - 1 for each grade lower). I ended up with a 9.5 or in the 4 point system a 2.92. Never been asked how well I did in school, only if I graduated and if the program was accredited. Probably will only matter if I want to go to grad school.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The further you get from your undergrad years, the less they matter. I've only once had to submit a copy of my transcripts for a job, and that was after I was hired. It's a good thing, I had something like your GPA, Donk. I had experience, and they counted that heavily. I rounded it out with about a 2100 score on the GRE. They really didn't care about my undergrad mistakes.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
jtfortin said:
I kind of screwed off my first semester in college, but after that I did pretty well, while keeping the Thurs-Sat party schedule intact.

Wussy. Ours was Thurs- Sunday. :)

I was honored my senior yeat with being on the Dean's list and the Dean's "list". How I ever got that piece of paper is beyond me....

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I finshed grad school with honors. I didn't get invited to the honors student lunch and presentations because they didn't realize that I had the GPA until after I was all done with school.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
no one has ever asked about my grades, they want to know what classes i had but not about grades, i got that bit of parchment and thats all that matters. nor has anyone asked about AICP or even basic APA membership (i dont do that BS)

i had a 4.0 my first year, 2.0 the 2nd and back up after that.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
A roll would taste pretty good right now since I haide no way to lunch as the city car was dead....and the wife had mine. It was too freakin cold to walk.

I can barely remember my GPA - in highschool though I was ranked 7th in my class. granted, there were only 70 or so of us. :)

donk said:

i take it it is the downtown passed out kelly brown incident that we have heard rumours of?

there are many downtown passed out kelly brown stories circulating, but yes, this was the granddaddy of them all.

and i did NOT get to bwana first. she just knows better than to tell tales out of school. especially about someone who has equally good dirt on them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.