• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
19,279
Points
43
It is called beer. Kings and peasants alike would share this beverage in common. It has been around for since the beginning of time, has provide courage to knights, warriors, leaders, and your average joe on prom night. It comes in more flavors than one could imagine and from every part of the world. After a sporting event men go out to consume it, and after kicking each others ass in a fight, they buy each other one. Many of us think of it as much, much more than just a beverage, and there are the few that go a step beyond. They make it. They are the brew-masters of the world. They are the ones you always make sure to invite to parties in hope that they to will bring there home creations. Master is one of these people, and because of a gift (Beer Making Kit) he is going to allow me to join. And with this I ask, do you make beer, and if so what recipes are you willing to share, tips and tricks, and anything that would help a young soon to be brewer. :-b

I also thought we needed a thread to discuss such an important topic!
 

Rem

Cyburbian
Messages
1,524
Points
22
Dan said:
I'm going to override the mods, and undelete this post. Let's see how this does.
Dan I can see this potentially spinning off in to a mini-web site - not unlike Melrose Place spinning off from 90210. You could become the Aaron Spelling of cyberspace. :)
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
26,869
Points
57
Golly, beer is good stuff. Gosh, it is swell. Gee Willickers, it is the tastiest beverage out there. :-D :-D :-D :b: :b: :b:

In western Africa, beer forms the foundation for significant social interaction. Traditionally in agrarian communities in the region, the women of the village did a lion's share of the labor. The men would make their own homebrew and would while away the hours talking to the other men in the community. And would take pride in who could produce the most tolerable beer. Something terrible happened the day globalization hit the beer market in Africa. Heinnekin began selling beer in this region and the locals found the taste of the imported lager vastly superior to their homebrew. It became a status symbol to be able to drink Heinnekin. The trouble is, though, that a case of Heinnekin cost the equivalent of almost a week's wages. The men now buy Heinnekin but jealously hoard their beer and no longer invite anyone over to share their beer simply because they would quickly go broke doing so. Now, their homebrewing tradition is looked down upon and there seems to be a lot less social cohesion without the 'beer interaction' among the men.
 

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Messages
2,713
Points
23
partial repost from the cheese thread.

Beer lovers should try this:

Swiss Cheese with salt and pepper sprinkled on top.

I thought this was odd at first also, but I had gotten hungry one day while in the beir tent at a fest in Sulzbach-Rosenberg, Germany. I started telling my German friends I was hungry. They come back with a plate of Swiss Cheese covered in salt and peper. Heaven, have been enoying it as a snack ever since.

The salt and cheese do not detract from the flavor of the beer, and the salt will help keep you thirsty for more beer! :-D
 

Tom R

Cyburbian
Messages
2,274
Points
24
strohs

They don't mention Strohs (Actually shorts spelled backwards.), my favorite cheap beer.
 

Budgie

Cyburbian
Messages
5,270
Points
30
Free Beer !!!!

Happy hour is on me. I'm buying at the club on Friday @ 5:00 p.m. Come with uncle and drink all proper. You are invited :-D
 

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Messages
2,550
Points
24
My favorite cheap beers are Huber and Rhinelander. When I was in college I worked at a park during the summers. You could score up a case of Rhinelander returnable bottles for around 5 bucks plus deposit. As long as you kept very very cold (on ice, not in a fridge) it tasted ok.

We have this bar in Milwaukee that has a huge selection of cheap-o beers. They even have a bucket of cheap beers for like 5 bucks...only thing is that they pick the cheap beers, not you.
 

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Messages
18,267
Points
43
Budgie said:
Happy hour is on me. I'm buying at the club on Friday @ 5:00 p.m. Come with uncle and drink all proper. You are invited :-D
Are you keeping the location of this clube a secret from us? :b:
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
19,279
Points
43
Dan said:
I'm going to override the mods, and undelete this post. Let's see how this does.
Your my hero!

Tranpalnner said:
Was that a freudian slip, or is there more to your relationship with Maister than we know?
Just a typing mistake...

A co-worker went to NJ for the 4th returned with a case of Yuengling Lager for me! Does anyone know of any places in the mid west where I can get this beer?
 

biscuit

Cyburbian
Messages
3,904
Points
25
michaelskis said:
A co-worker went to NJ for the 4th returned with a case of Yuengling Lager for me! Does anyone know of any places in the mid west where I can get this beer?
Having it shipped in or taking a road trip to PA is the only way you can currently obtain any of this finest of Pennsylvania macro-brews. According to Yuengling.com the only places you can currently buy the stuff is Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey,New York, Virginia, D.C., North Carolina, Florida, and Alabama.

I have a friend from back home who loves the stuff so much that she had six cases of it shipped in from Virginia for her wedding a couple of years ago.:b:
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
26,869
Points
57
Maybe this would be a good time to mention the "Reinheitsgebot", or German purity law. Many of you may have heard about it through Sam Adams' advertising. It was the first known food/health regulation. Passed in 1490 in Bavaria. It held that beer must only be made from 3 ingredients: barley, water, and hops. It is largely because of this law that y'all enjoy beer in the form(s) it comes in today (yes, as hard as it is to believe even Milwaukees Best Light can trace its ancestry through this law!). Prior to this law German brewers would/could put stuff like fish bladders in their beer. Think about that the next time you tilt a cold one....
 

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
17,549
Points
55
Maister said:
Maybe this would be a good time to mention the "Reinheitsgebot", or German purity law.
It might have prevented beer with fish bladders, but think of what German beer would be like without the Reinheitsgebot. The Belgians never had a purity law, and look at their brewing tradition. I don;'t need to echo the thousands of others online who have sun the praises of Belgian beers. If the Belgians can do what they did, think of what zee Germans could accomplish.
 

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Messages
368
Points
12
Thread of Thirst...

Great topic and one that's close to my heart.

Just an FYI - Rockies Brewing in Boulder has a new brew - "Mojo" a highly hopped IPA - pure heaven! They've had it out for a while in "bombers" and it was on tap at Old Chicago.

And on "cheap beer" - I did my share in my younger years - Hamm's, Schlitz, Keystone, etc. But I can't anymore - it equates to an "instant headache" so I'll keep on tapping my 401K to buy the better stuff :-}
 

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Messages
2,713
Points
23
Dan said:
....I don;'t need to echo the thousands of others online who have sun the praises of Belgian beers. If the Belgians can do what they did, think of what zee Germans could accomplish.

MMMMMMMMM LAMBICS! :p


The Germans DID do amazing things, they took the CRAPIEST grain for making beer in ALL of europe, without using thermometers, and created a process to chemichly alter the crappy grain (when chemistry hadn't been invented) into something fit for the gods to drink!

Thats impressive in its own right if you ask me! :-D
 

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Messages
4,853
Points
26
Instead of the German purity law, nowadays I believe the world brewers should approve a 'Not like sex in a canoe' law :p Water is not beer, ok? Got it Budweiser? :-D
If you want to cool down on a summer day you can drink a bud, but it's just not beer! Now a Bud Light... I guess that's water, artificial beer colorants and flavor and CO2 :p

I don't have anything against Budweiser, I just use it like an example of all the numerous brands that produce "beer" (Including a few chilean ones) At least here in Valdivia the Kunstmann brewery produces REAL beer :) And at least 4 types.. The classical Lager, Pale ale, Bock and the unfiltered pale ale. (The last two are my favourites :-b)
Now who wants a Valdivian Alefest? (Or should I say Bierfest?) :-D
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
26,869
Points
57
Duke Of Dystopia said:
MMMMMMMMM LAMBICS! :p


The Germans DID do amazing things, they took the CRAPIEST grain for making beer in ALL of europe, without using thermometers, and created a process to chemichly alter the crappy grain (when chemistry hadn't been invented) into something fit for the gods to drink!

Thats impressive in its own right if you ask me! :-D
also, technically, the Reinheitsgebot would prohibit weiss (wheat) beers. Belgians make awesome Trappist Ales, and all sorts of other fruity concoctions - the world would be a poorer place without them. Like it or not, Germans seem to be the ones who have set the world's standards in beer, though :-}
 

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Messages
2,713
Points
23
Maister said:
also, technically, the Reinheitsgebot would prohibit weiss (wheat) beers. Belgians make awesome Trappist Ales, and all sorts of other fruity concoctions - the world would be a poorer place without them. Like it or not, Germans seem to be the ones who have set the world's standards in beer, though :-}
I believe there was an exception in it for Wiess beers. That or they considered wheat as a baley for the purpose of making beer. I will try to track that down exactly what it was, but wheat was allowed for Bavaria at least. Especially since the King liked it and forced all the Wiess beers to be produced in "royal" beer brewing facilities.
 

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Messages
4,473
Points
25
This thread is making me thirsty :b::p

They starting to bottle the hometown brew, Flying Bison, here and distribute it to local convienence stores. Plant gives tours.

Going to have to take a trip down to Matts Brewery in Utica.
 

otterpop

Cyburbian
Messages
6,655
Points
27
Hamm's is my favorite "rafting beer". The criteria for a good "rafting beer" is: 1) it must come in cans (broken bottles could puncture the raft or a person), 2) it must be inexpensive, 3) it must not be heavy, and 4) it must taste good very cold.

Pabst is another good rafting beer. Busch is another.

Whatever happend to Schiltz? When I was a underage drinker back in the 70s, Schitlz was everywhere and I drank a lot of it. Haven't seen it in probably 15 years. Is it still around? Only available regionally?
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
19,279
Points
43
I am a fan of Bells. You know it is summer when you have a cold Oberon in a nice glass. (being that it is not filtered, it is best in a glass). And PlannerbyDay introduced me to Bells Java Brew. Beer with Coffee Beans added in the process. It will wake a person up while sitting in the garden behind the old brewery in Kalamazoo.

For those not from the mid west, what are your thoughts on Bells? *Yet another reason to hold a mid west leafest in Kalamazoo!
 

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Messages
2,713
Points
23
michaelskis said:
.....For those not from the mid west, what are your thoughts on Bells? *Yet another reason to hold a mid west leafest in Kalamazoo!

Make sure you are at Bell's during the holiday Bell's Eccentric Brew Day! NOW THAT is a pilgramige worth attending! Lots of wierd people and great BREW! They open the Brewery up out back later on in the night! :-D
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
26,869
Points
57
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Make sure you are at Bell's during the holiday Bell's Eccentric Brew Day! NOW THAT is a pilgramige worth attending! Lots of wierd people and great BREW! They open the Brewery up out back later on in the night! :-D
Eccentric day is fun. Almost a little too crowded for my tastes. The beer is always great at Bell's. The best possible reason to go is because it is a Monday, I think.

And for PlannerbyDay and Michaelskis benefit I wish it to be publicly known I do NOT usually get that wasted off a mere four Two Hearted ales.
 

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Messages
1,827
Points
23
michaelskis said:
And PlannerbyDay introduced me to Bells Java Brew. Beer with Coffee Beans added in the process. It will wake a person up while sitting in the garden behind the old brewery in Kalamazoo.
For the longest time Java Stout was only available at the pub as well as many other beers. SOme of the other beers only available at the pub that are worth trying too one of my favorites is Harvest Ale, made with locally grown hop.

Maister said:
And for PlannerbyDay and Michaelskis benefit I wish it to be publicly known I do NOT usually get that wasted off a mere four Two Hearted ales.
TOO Funny Maister

That was a fun time, when I got home late the Future MRS. Plannerbyday was waiting for me and she knew I had more than a couple beers. Bells Beer is pretty strong compared to other beers. If you like hops like I do and apparently Maister the Two Hearted is a great beer that comes in at 6.0% ABV.

MMMM YUMMY
 
Last edited by a moderator:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
19,279
Points
43
Maister said:
And for PlannerbyDay and Michaelskis benefit I wish it to be publicly known I do NOT usually get that wasted off a mere four Two Hearted ales.
Here is the funny thing... Maister has the same crazy thoughts when he is drinking Mt. Dew as well!

We have all been tipsy... it is more than ok.
 

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
17,549
Points
55
You know, a K-Zoo Alefest might be do-able some weekend. Just have to pack the dogs in the car, leave on Friday, and find a place to bunk down for a couple of days.

Bells. Good stuff. If you're willing to drive a couple of hours, though, there's an even nicer treat ... Three Floyds in Munster.
 

tsc

Cyburbian
Messages
1,905
Points
23
I actually have become fond of my hometown brewery...the Ithaca Beer Company. I joined their Growler Club... because the beer I like most is not available in bottles... they make a brew for a restaurant downtown that is great...some type of ale for MacGregors. Flower Power India Pale Ale is pretty good too.. but the alcohol content is really high... so not a good boating summer ale.
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
26,869
Points
57
tsc said:
I actually have become fond of my hometown brewery...the Ithaca Beer Company.
I hear nothing but good about Ithaca Beer Co., although I have yet to try it myself. I will however taste some next year as it is a scheduled stop on the Great American Microbrew Escape 2005.
 

tsc

Cyburbian
Messages
1,905
Points
23
Maister said:
I hear nothing but good about Ithaca Beer Co., although I have yet to try it myself. I will however taste some next year as it is a scheduled stop on the Great American Microbrew Escape 2005.
actually... I don't like most of their beers...just the one they make for the restaurant. There is something fun too about going and getting your growler (jug) filled.
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
26,869
Points
57
tsc said:
actually... I don't like most of their beers...just the one they make for the restaurant. There is something fun too about going and getting your growler (jug) filled.
I just looked online and saw that growler refills were only $2.50!!! Can that be true? a half gallon of beer for $2.50?
 

tsc

Cyburbian
Messages
1,905
Points
23
refills are $5. Off course... I usually sample a pint for free while filling the growler! :-D
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
26,869
Points
57
Anyone think there is any difference in the flavor of the same beer in bottles vs cans?
 

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Messages
19,279
Points
43
Maister said:
Anyone think there is any difference in the flavor of the same beer in bottles vs cans?

YES! cans are wrong... simple as that. I do not like the metalic taste that the can leaves. Bottles are the way to go.

*Bottles are cheeper for the brewery, but they can fill cans 5 times as fast, that is why cans are cheeper. Even the guide at America's Oldest Brewery mentioned that they sell 8 times more bottles than cans because of the quality.
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
26,869
Points
57
michaelskis said:
YES! cans are wrong... simple as that. I do not like the metalic taste that the can leaves. Bottles are the way to go.
I think most beer afficionados would be inclined to agree with you. Maybe it's a label bias - I don't usually drink beers that come in...cans . I guess I'm guilty of it to some degree. That angle perhaps had more merit 5 years ago than it does now, as more and more beers (and I mean GOOD beers) are being offered in cans: Guinness, Boddington's Pub Draft, Old Speckled Hen, Wexford Ale, and many others.
I've done the double blind taste test where a bottle and a can of Labatts are decanted into glasses and was unable to tell any difference, but I still can't shake that impression of th different drinking experiences one gets when drinking directly out of the bottle or can......
 

biscuit

Cyburbian
Messages
3,904
Points
25
Maister said:
Anyone think there is any difference in the flavor of the same beer in bottles vs cans?
Yes, yes and yes! Strangely the only beer I've ever had that was better from a can than from a bottle was Rolling Rock. And even then it wasn't that good.
 

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
11,054
Points
34
I, too, have done the blind taste test and could not tell which beer came from the can and which the bottle. But, holding a long neck in your hand is so much more satisfying than a can. And my mustache sometimes gets snagged in the pop top when I do have to drink from a can. 8-!

Until recently, you could not buy beer in a can in Denmark. It was not any kind of beer purity act, however. Danes saw cans as too easy to discard and thus harm the environment. The bottlers lost out to the canners, and now you can have your Tuborg Gron Ol in a can.
 

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Messages
2,713
Points
23
Maister said:
I think most beer afficionados would be inclined to agree with you. Maybe it's a label bias - I don't usually drink beers that come in...cans . I guess I'm guilty of it to some degree. That angle perhaps had more merit 5 years ago than it does now, as more and more beers (and I mean GOOD beers) are being offered in cans: Guinness, Boddington's Pub Draft, Old Speckled Hen, Wexford Ale, and many others.
I've done the double blind taste test where a bottle and a can of Labatts are decanted into glasses and was unable to tell any difference, but I still can't shake that impression of th different drinking experiences one gets when drinking directly out of the bottle or can......
Canning machines are much more expensive to operate. Cans also do have some effect on the taste of the beer, while glass does not. Glass in the pub may affect teh taste of your beer as there is NO possible way to remove the soap/cleaning fluid successfully until it has been "conditioned" by that first full beer.

Ever notice how the second beer tastes a lot better than the first if it is from the same glass?

You can purchase a complete 7.5 barrell brewery for about $15,000 but the equipment to bottle that beer may actually run close to $45,000. Canning machines are much more expensive.
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
26,869
Points
57
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Canning machines are much more expensive to operate. Cans also do have some effect on the taste of the beer, while glass does not. Glass in the pub may affect teh taste of your beer as there is NO possible way to remove the soap/cleaning fluid successfully until it has been "conditioned" by that first full beer.
Ever notice how the second beer tastes a lot better than the first if it is from the same glass?
Well, then here's a question for you. At home I drink beer primarily out of 3 containers: a tall glass pilsner (good head retention), a sturdy glass pint mug (I use this one the most just because it holds a pint), and a pewter mug (looks kinda like a cool-ass viking horn). I have noticed a couple of things about the pewter. An insert that came with the mug said that pewter mugs keep beverages cold longer and I have found this to be true; it stands to reason that metal is a good conductor and as long as you're holding the mug by the handle the metal should conduct the beer's cold. The insert also said that if you are going to drink beer out of the mug then only drink beer as the mug's interior is 'conditioned' by whatever beverage is put in it. My 'conditioned' pewter mug is great in these respects, but here's my question/problem - why does it foam like a rabid dog no matter how carefully I pour on the side of the mug?
 

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
11,054
Points
34
Maister said:
<snip>My 'conditioned' pewter mug is great in these respects, but here's my question/problem - why does it foam like a rabid dog no matter how carefully I pour on the side of the mug?
Does this happen each time, or just the first? If it is the latter, then it may be the dtergent you use to wash the vessel. I have heard beer aficionados say that they simply wash with hot water and no soaps because that affects the glass/metal and the taste of the beer. For what it's worth 0.02.
 

roger

Cyburbian
Messages
118
Points
6
used to homebrew

michaelskis said:
And with this I ask, do you make beer, and if so what recipes are you willing to share, tips and tricks, and anything that would help a young soon to be brewer. :-b
I used to homebrew back in my undergrad days. For a great beginner's resource (and some good recipes) check out The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian.
 

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Messages
2,713
Points
23
Maister said:
......My 'conditioned' pewter mug is great in these respects, but here's my question/problem - why does it foam like a rabid dog no matter how carefully I pour on the side of the mug?
in addition to Gedunkers statement, it could also be the shape of the vessel. Certian beer should be consumed from certain vessels for best effect. Like you pilsner glass, is it a Grand Pilsner glass used for Wiess beers or is it the tall thin straight edged glasses used for pilsner? Some pilsner is also drank from glasses that look like pitcher plants.

I can't find any reason other than listed above why pewter specificly would do that. I don't know everything! :-D
 

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
26,869
Points
57
Gedunker said:
Does this happen each time, or just the first? If it is the latter, then it may be the dtergent you use to wash the vessel. I have heard beer aficionados say that they simply wash with hot water and no soaps because that affects the glass/metal and the taste of the beer. For what it's worth 0.02.
The very first time I used it my wife washed it using dish soap - I freaked! I rinsed it about 900 times afterwards, so I am pretty sure that's not it. It does not foam like a 'mad dog' every time (I have attributed it's different degrees of foaming to the properties of the beers poured, but I think its safe to say it always foams more than just pouring the same beer in a glass
 

mgk920

Cyburbian
Messages
4,202
Points
26
otterpop said:
Hamm's is my favorite "rafting beer". The criteria for a good "rafting beer" is: 1) it must come in cans (broken bottles could puncture the raft or a person), 2) it must be inexpensive, 3) it must not be heavy, and 4) it must taste good very cold.

Pabst is another good rafting beer. Busch is another.

Whatever happend to Schiltz? When I was a underage drinker back in the 70s, Schitlz was everywhere and I drank a lot of it. Haven't seen it in probably 15 years. Is it still around? Only available regionally?
That was about the time that Schlitz Brewing committed one of the worst errors in consumer product manufacturing -- they changed their formula (see 'New Coke' from the 1980s) :-@. The mistakes, blunders and arrogance that followed destroyed the brand and the company. Prior to that, they were indeed one of the top selling beers in the World. An idea of how big, the Milwaukee Road railroad hauled at least four 100+ car trains off of the branchline that served their brewery every day.

There is a non-Milwaukee company that still makes the brand, but I seldom see it in stores.

BTW, what is the latest with plans to redevelop the former Schlitz brewery site on the north edge of downtown Milwaukee?

Mike
 

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Messages
4,473
Points
25
RichmondJake said:
Not after the first 12-pack.

I second the motion.:b:

It really depends on the type of beer your drinking too. I just found a place that sells PBR in a bottle, although I can get a 24pk for 6.99 with mail in rebate at Rite Aid.

Bottle, can, both! Although I prefer the bottle
 

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
11,054
Points
34
mgk920 said:
That was about the time that Schlitz Brewing committed one of the worst errors in consumer product manufacturing -- they changed their formula (see 'New Coke' from the 1980s) :-@. The mistakes, blunders and arrogance that followed destroyed the brand and the company. Prior to that, they were indeed one of the top selling beers in the World. <snip>
Mike
Didn't Schlitz once own Olympia? That was a major brand that I really did like: "It's the Water" was their tag line. Maybe it was Strohs. I'm confused.
 

boiker

Cyburbian
Messages
3,890
Points
26
Maister said:
The very first time I used it my wife washed it using dish soap - I freaked! I rinsed it about 900 times afterwards, so I am pretty sure that's not it. It does not foam like a 'mad dog' every time (I have attributed it's different degrees of foaming to the properties of the beers poured, but I think its safe to say it always foams more than just pouring the same beer in a glass
If there is difference between pouring the same beer into two different containers it may be from the smoothness of the insert vs. the smoothness of the glass. Glass is relatively smooth and will allow for the carbonation to cling to the glass better. The larger bubbles will ride the sides up. Less smooth surfaces will force foaming because the smaller bubbles can't coalesce into larger ones and are immediately released.
 
Top