• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Oktoberfest beers are out now around here. I forgot that I'm not a big fan of Shiner's version, and still have 2 left.

I'm a big fan of pumpkin beers. I hope they start showing up soon . . .

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Oktoberfest beers are out now around here. I forgot that I'm not a big fan of Shiner's version, and still have 2 left.
And this is the strange part, because almost anything else they choose to brew is (liquid) gold.

"Can Beer Be Saved from Climate Change?" (Article)

https://theoutline.com/post/6501/can-beer-be-saved-from-climate-change?zd=1&zi=hrvh5aim

"Beer may have saved humanity, but soon, humanity may need to save beer. As temperature and weather patterns change, some of the crops most vital to beer’s creation, such as hops and malting barley, are threatened by inconsistent changes in weather."

Solutions:
-Micro: "Home brewing"
-Macro: Infrastructure changes
-Gene-editing
-[STRIKEOUT]Don't drink beer[/STRIKEOUT]
-Other?

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I acquired a 12 pack of Yuengling Black and Tan last night. I was looking for a stout and a pale ale to make my own black and tan last night mainly because I like the way it looks in the glass. While it doesn't look like a traditional black and tan in the glass, it was quite tasty. It's the first macro brew that I bought in long time. I really like the price 12 beers for less than $10. I usually pay $10 for a 6 pack. It wasn't the best beer I have ever had but it was very drinkable. It poured dark and had hints of coffee and caramel. I'll pick it up again when I am in the mood for a black and tan and can't find a decent stout or pale ale at my local grocery store. As added bonus my non-beer drinking wife thought it was a coke, took a big swig, and proceeded to spit it out in the sink; that was entertaining.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Last night I went down to Detroit with a friend to pick up his four reserved bottles of Founder's Canadian Breakfast Stout... at $25 a bottle! It's apparently very highly sought after.

The official release is today but he's part of their "Mug Club" so he was able to get his a day early. The brewery also had a secret keg of it on tap so we got to have some of that as well. I don't generally care for stouts and never understood the hype around the KBS but my friend was buying so I tried the CBS and actually really enjoyed it. Not enough to pay $25 for a bottle but I did have a second pint.

Gedunker

Moderating
Free to a good home: A six pack of midwest micro-brewery beers (2 Indiana, 1 each from Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, and Illinois).

Send me a PM if interested. I'm thinking of a number between 1-12. Closest to the number wins any possible tie-breaker. (So include a qualified number in your PM, silly.)

All decisions are mine and are final.;):D

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Thinking of taking Hubby to Vermont for a birthday weekend. Apparently people like The Alchemist beers.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
If I were going to Vermont, I'd be more interested in checking out the Ben & Jerry's tour before any beer. Even better: do they have beer at B&J's?
You're singing my song! We did Ben & Jerry's last time we were there and it was yummy. They didn't have any beer but they did have snowshoe rentals. That was a lot of fun!

Very good stuff comes out of that brewery!!! Enjoy!

Alena was very good.
I still owe you some beers! I haven't forgotten!

Gedunker

Moderating
Free to a good home: A six pack of midwest micro-brewery beers (2 Indiana, 1 each from Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, and Illinois).

Send me a PM if interested. I'm thinking of a number between 1-12. Closest to the number wins any possible tie-breaker. (So include a qualified number in your PM, silly.)

All decisions are mine and are final.;):D
Congratulations to our Salmissra, winner of my sample Midwest brews six-pack.

I should be able to get it in the mail this week. Just PM me your mailing address and I'll take it from there!:b::b:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Congratulations to our Salmissra, winner of my sample Midwest brews six-pack.

I should be able to get it in the mail this week. Just PM me your mailing address and I'll take it from there!:b::b:
I'm thrilled! This balances out the loss of several of the candidates I voted for.

I worked election day, and after 14 hours on my feet, came home to a frosty bottle of St. Arnold's Oktoberfest - which is one of the best in that field.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I had a meeting on the other side of the town next door and I used it as an excuse to stop by the bottle shop over that way. I now have some Cigar City Cubano Style Espresso waiting in the fridge. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

This rich brown ale is redolent with Cuban-style roasted espresso beans, sweet caramel and toffee and hints of dry nuttiness. Cuban Espresso is a popular drink in the Cigar City of Tampa owing to its many Sicilian and Cuban immigrants. The beans for Cubano-Style Espresso Brown Ale are roasted locally by Mazzaro's Italian Market and Deli in St. Petersburg to our exact specifications.
I also bought some Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale. My expectations are lower for it, as I bought it for the can. Although, I generally like pale ales. Here is the description of the beer on Black Sheep's website:

This brilliant and bold addition to our flock was created to commemorate the 30th anniversary of one of our finest comedic exports - the Monty Python crew!

Years later and Holy Grail is still going strong. With more hops than a killer rabbit, it's a full-flavoured golden ale with a distinctively fruity flavour followed by the Black Sheep signature dry finish. Be warned, this beer has been tempered over burning witches! Only joking.

Planit

Cyburbian
I found a nice very limited edition 4-pack of beer from a nearby brewery. I contacted both of the good beer stores I patronize and neither one are bringing this in from the distributor. One said they would order a case for me, but I'd have to buy the entire case. I only want 2 of the 4-packs & don't want to be that vested in it since it's a specialty and I haven't even tried it yet. The case (consisting of 6 16oz 4-packs) would run $96. I think I'll pass.

DVD

Cyburbian
I'm just grateful to be in a place where I have some beer selection again. I found a nice White Chocolate Ale from Sonoran Brewing.

Gedunker

Moderating
I'm thrilled! This balances out the loss of several of the candidates I voted for.

I worked election day, and after 14 hours on my feet, came home to a frosty bottle of St. Arnold's Oktoberfest - which is one of the best in that field.
A wee bit tardy (owing to a control freak mayor and a replacement zoning ordinance coinciding at precisely the wrong time) but the nice lady at the USPS says the package will arrive on Thursday.

The Midwest sampler includes the following:

Iron Line Brewing Co., Monroe, Ohio, Midtown Station Amber Ale, 5.5 ABV, 28 IBU
Two Brothers Artisan Brewing Co., Warrenville, Illinois, Domain Dupage French Country Ale 5.9 ABV, 24 IBU
Sun King Brewery, Indianapolis, Indiana, Wee MAC Scottish Style Ale
Bell’s Brewing Co., Comstock, Michigan, Lager of the Lakes Bohemian Pilsner 5.0ABV
Country Boy Brewing Co., Georgetown, Kentucky, Shotgun Wedding (brown ale aged on vanilla beans)
Rhinegeist Brewing Co., Cincinnati, Ohio, Cheetah Lager, 4.8 ABV
Against the Grain Brewing Co., Louisville, Kentucky, Citra Ass Down Double IPA, 8.2ABV (x2)

JNA and mendelman will recognize Rhinegeist as it hos+ted the reception for the recent Ohio - Kentucky - Indiana regional planning conference. JNAis a tee-totaler, so hedidn’t Have any -of the Cheetah, but I think the rest of us did. The fun part was the street car in downtown Cincy takes you right to the brewery’s front door. Neat stuff.

So, Salmissra, I won’t review these from my perspective, so as not to taint your taste buds. I hope you enjoy these and.et me know what you think of them. Ciao!

Bubba

Cyburbian
The Midwest sampler includes the following:

Iron Line Brewing Co., Monroe, Ohio, Midtown Station Amber Ale, 5.5 ABV, 28 IBU
Two Brothers Artisan Brewing Co., Warrenville, Illinois, Domain Dupage French Country Ale 5.9 ABV, 24 IBU
Sun King Brewery, Indianapolis, Indiana, Wee MAC Scottish Style Ale
Bell’s Brewing Co., Comstock, Michigan, Lager of the Lakes Bohemian Pilsner 5.0ABV
Country Boy Brewing Co., Georgetown, Kentucky, Shotgun Wedding (brown ale aged on vanilla beans)
Rhinegeist Brewing Co., Cincinnati, Ohio, Cheetah Lager, 4.8 ABV
Against the Grain Brewing Co., Louisville, Kentucky, Citra Ass Down Double IPA, 8.2ABV (x2)
Kentucky isn't in the Midwest. ;)

I might be able to piece together a sampler of Georgia IPAs (Atlanta/Athens/Savannah) if anyone is interested...

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I have been working my way - slowly - through the midwest :beers: I received from Gedunker. The reason I'm a bit slow getting through them is that I had a nasty cold and then cough which killed my tastebuds. I didn't want to drink them then because I would really have no clue as to flavor when I was sick.

The IPAs I gave to dad. He likes those in general, so I thought he'd be a better judge of them than I. I've finished off the others except for one - simply because I limited my self to one at a time. I'll have to finished my report after Christmas, when I will partake of the last one.

Thanks, Gedunker, for the opportunity to try :beers::beers: that aren't available around here!

Gedunker

Moderating
I have been working my way - slowly - through the midwest :beers: I received from Gedunker. The reason I'm a bit slow getting through them is that I had a nasty cold and then cough which killed my tastebuds. I didn't want to drink them then because I would really have no clue as to flavor when I was sick.

The IPAs I gave to dad. He likes those in general, so I thought he'd be a better judge of them than I. I've finished off the others except for one - simply because I limited my self to one at a time. I'll have to finished my report after Christmas, when I will partake of the last one.

Thanks, Gedunker, for the opportunity to try :beers::beers: that aren't available around here!
I'm not a fan of IPAs myself and so was disappointed when I realized the last four-pack I bought were IPAs. I made it through two and sent the other half on to you. I hope your Dad liked them. I liked the Shotgun Wedding, too. But, I think the Cheetah, from Rheingeist was my favorite.

I think, if I do this again next summer, I'll set a side two from each sixpack, so my "victim" can share them with a spouse/guest and have the communal taste experience.

Glad you enjoyed them and you are welcome Salmissra. It was my pleasure.

Planit

Cyburbian
A friend of mine brought me a New Glarus Scream IIPA. Nice flavor and over the top for a double.

I like their tagline: Drink Indigenous

I was glad to get this, especially after I read an article where there are a number of area breweries whose beers do not leave the region.

Planit

Cyburbian
Received my annual HopSlam purchase last night.

According to my buddy, the beer wasn't supposed to be released until Saturday at the local grocery store. I stopped by the store about 9:00pm and didn't see it. I asked a stockboy if they had any in the back & he went to look. He comes out with a case which I gladly took off his hands. Cashier ran it right through. I stopped by my buddy's house on the way home and surprised him (he now has 2 of the 6-packs).

I might run back out there Friday night and try the same trick...or wait until Saturday to purchase another 6-pack.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was at the store on Monday and saw oodles and oodles of cases of Hopslam stacked up. I never really cared for it but was tempted to grab one just to give it a try again (I don't think I have had it in at least 5 years now). I ultimately decided against it though because it would take me forever to get through a 12-pack. I wish they would release it in 6-packs of cans (if they have, I haven't seen it).

My wife's cousin and her husband stayed with us at Christmastime for a few days and when they went out to lunch one day they brought me back a 4-pack from the brewery they visited. They knew I liked sours and goses so they picked up the seasonal offering from the brewery - a cranberry gose. I think cranberry sauce is disgusting and was expecting the beer to taste like some sort of jellied monstrosity with it either being overly sweetened or way too bitter. However, I was pleasantly surprised that it was neither of those and had a good amount of tartness to it. I drank the first 3 pretty quickly and held on to the last one until last night. I may have to swing past my liquor store tonight or tomorrow to see if they happen to have any more left since they are done brewing this variety for the winter.

CranberryGose.jpg

Planit

Cyburbian
I was at the store on Monday and saw oodles and oodles of cases of Hopslam stacked up. I never really cared for it but was tempted to grab one just to give it a try again (I don't think I have had it in at least 5 years now). I ultimately decided against it though because it would take me forever to get through a 12-pack. I wish they would release it in 6-packs of cans (if they have, I haven't seen it).
I now also understand it will be limited to one 6-pack per person at the store (so I scored bigly).

All we get here are 6-packs of cans.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Haven't tried the beer yet. I just like the label.

IMG_0217.JPG

Also, I'm not a fan of Empire Brewing Black Magic Stout. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but there was almost no carbonation, it poured and tasted syrupy, and it tasted a little bit like cough medicine. Definitely not stouty.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Speaking of bad bottles, I've concluded I was grossly unfair to Atwater Brewery several years ago when I cut on a few of their regular offerings (musta had a bad assortment pack). Their dark chocolate ale is one of my all time favorites, in fact.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Speaking of bad bottles, I've concluded I was grossly unfair to Atwater Brewery several years ago when I cut on a few of their regular offerings (musta had a bad assortment pack). Their dark chocolate ale is one of my all time favorites, in fact.
3 or 4 years ago they moved all of their bottling from their small brewpub-type location into a more professional industrial facility. I used to work at a foundation across the street from their brewpub and the beer was good if you got it there on tap but even buying a six-pack to take home was usually a bad idea as they seemed to have horrible quality control in regards to how well things were sealed or how fresh things were. Once they moved into a facility that was entirely designed for bottling for a larger distribution their quality went up exponentially. I agree that their Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale is a great one. Their Mai Bock is also really good but that's generally a very limited seasonal run and I don't know that I even ever see it in bottles, only on tap around here.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This may be of interest to some: the (mostly) western Michigan aisle at my local beer store.

The image is about 8000 pixels wide.

FWIW, all those cans to the right are a small part of the Upstate NY beer selection.

Gedunker

Moderating
Wow, I see Bell's Oarsman in there. For some reason, I can't get that at my local Meijer anymore. Oarsman is a good and tasty summer beer, IMO.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The only ones I've had beer from on that list are Russian River and New Glarus.

There used to be an awesome BBQ place near my office that had a fantastic beer list but they sadly closed down just over a year ago. My discovery of good beer has gone down a lot since then.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Wow, looks like the assortment of Michigan beers available to Dan rivals what we have available here! Ooooh Dragon's Milk! Always nice to see some prime offerings from New Holland!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Where did you get the New Glarus beers? The only times I've had any success getting my hands on the likes of Uff Da or Spotted Cow have been when I drove to New Glarus myself or had a friend stop there and buy me a case.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
@Maister - Spotted Cow and the Belgian Red are the only ones I've ever had. My oldest brother is an IT sales rep and is out in that northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin area quite a bit and usually brings me back a random 6-pack from somewhere in the region if it's around the holidays. He hasn't brought me anything in a while. I may have to give him a call to see what's up with that!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Referencing Dan's photo...

Aaaahhhhh. Ooohhhhh. Yuummmm. drool.......

10 best breweries list - how many have you had beers from???
http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/beerandcider/the-world%e2%80%99s-10-best-breweries-according-to-ratebeer/ar-BBSU1UA?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

There used to be an awesome BBQ place near my office that had a fantastic beer list but they sadly closed down just over a year ago. My discovery of good beer has gone down a lot since then.
I can now say I've also had beer from Cigar City Brewing. I picked up a 6-pack of Guayabera Citra Pale Ale at the store yesterday. I enjoyed it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

Lutz kellerbier from Common Roots in South Glens Falls, New York Interesting style I haven't tried before. It's on the hoppy side for a lager, leaning more IPA than NEIPA. Would drink and enjoy again. 6/10 mugs.
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Winter White Ale from Bell's in Galesburg, MIchigan. Nom nom nom nom nom. burp :rick: Almost too drinkable. No way could I session this and stay sober. Would buy the six-pack. 9/10 mugs.
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
^ People here love the Winter White but for some reason I never cared for it. It's been a long time since I've tried it though, maybe I should revisit that one...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
tl;dr - stop fighting over a trolley, and drink more beer!

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 6.33.09 PM.png

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Midwesterners - are the Prairie Artisan Ales beers worth their high cost? I could buy two or three bottles of the latest Mikkeller brew, or a limited edition 750 from a local brewery, for a 355 ml bottle of something from Prairie.

Attachments

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I've been wondering about Prairie Artisan as well. The fancy grocery store by my house carries them and I'm always tempted, primarily because I like the labels and names, but I have yet to shell out the price which would be nearly enough to buy an entire 6-pack of some of my other favorites.

Planit

Cyburbian
The good beer store here had a few Prairie Artisan beers a year or so ago. They didn't sell so he put them on closeout after about 6 months. He sold them as singles so I bought one. It was okay, but that might have been because it was dated. I'd try one again, but a fresh one on draft. It's hard to pull the trigger on something unknown for a the standard price.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
After having a converstation with a coworker about Cigar City's Tocobago, I used Cigar City's online beer locator in attempt to find it close by. Oddly enough, I found it at within a few miles at a truck stop that caters to rural reactionaries. It was with a few other rarieties like Oskar Blues' Fugli Yuzu & Ugli Fruit IPA. The 6 or so micro brews were nearly lost in the sea of Bud/Millers/Coors. I was surprised and so was the cashier, I am not sure if it was that they carried it or that someone actually bought it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

Collective Arts Stranger Than Fiction Porter. Good example of what I'd call a New American Porter, from a craft brewery in Hamilton, Ontario, that doesn't shy away from collaborating and competing with their peers south of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The usual malt, chocolate, and coffee flavors. A smooth yet flavorful brew for when you get back in the house after snowblowing the driveway. 8/10 pint glasses.

:stout::stout::stout::stout::stout::stout::stout::stout: :canada:

Ommegang Game of Thrones Hand of the Queen Barleywine. It's from Ommegang, and Ommegang doesn't release shitty beers. 11% alcohol, but you knew this wasn't going to be some easygoing Front Range session beer that would barely ping a breathalizer. Enjoy this one at home, folks. 9/10 mugs, and a healthy burp.

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: :rick: