• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

Bubba

Cyburbian
By the way, if you ever find yourself in Reykjavik, I highly recommend taking a tour of the Ölgerðin Egill Skallagrímsson brewery on a Friday night. It's not like the tours of American macrobreweries where you get a free sample of some light lager at the end. It's a history lesson of alcohol in Iceland, that you drink your way through. Afterwards, the tour bus dumps you off on Laugavegur (Laundry Street in English), Reykjavik's main street, where you'll probably spend the rest of the night on an Icelandic-style runtur (bar crawl). Done right, a runtur is something you'll both not remember and never forget.
We could probably have another thread on brewery tours - my favorite to date is the Boston Brewery (Sam Adams). Basically 20 minutes of cheerleading for beer and its ingredients, the folks working in the brewery are the ones you see in their commercials, and the tour guide is drinking the whole time he's walking you around. At the end you're seated at long tables for "samples" (7 oz tasting glass) of four of their brews...multiple pitchers of each are passed up and down the tables, and the hosts get pissed if a not-empty pitcher makes it back up to the front end of your table. I made the mistake of hitting that place for a noon tour prior to eating lunch...made for an interesting afternoon...

Reactions: Dan

Maister

Chairman of the bored
BTW Dan, dipsomania was removed even before DSM 3R was published.

What exactly does Mrs. Dan do for a living?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What exactly does Mrs. Dan do for a living?
I read this part of the post to her.

You know those old-timey cartoons you used to watch really early on Saturday morning before the network cartoons came on, where there'd be some old prospector who would polish off a porcelain jug of XXX, and then stumble down a dusty main street of false front saloons and general stores, while hiccuping and singing Oh My Darling Clementine?

She laughed. "Like the big guy from Popeye?"

"Bluto?"

"Yeah, from Popeye."

"Nah. Popeye was maritime. Everything took place on boats, docks, and wharves. I'm thinking about 1950s Warner Brothers cartoons that took place out in the desert. Like Road Runner and Yosemite Sam."

Anyhow, she works in the mental health field. Yet, she still married someone as crazy as me. :)

AG74683

Cyburbian
I finally found Peanut Butter and Jelly Time!! I bought the two 4 packs they had, it was like 27 dollars for both. I accidentally drank one of them like immediately. I need to ration the rest.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I finally found Peanut Butter and Jelly Time!! I bought the two 4 packs they had, it was like 27 dollars for both. I accidentally drank one of them like immediately. I need to ration the rest.
Raspberry or Strawberry Rhubarb? They canned both this year. I think a 4-pack is $12 or so at the brewery. I hope to go to one of their tasting rooms to get their special release hazy IPA.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Raspberry or Strawberry Rhubarb? They canned both this year. I think a 4-pack is $12 or so at the brewery. I hope to go to one of their tasting rooms to get their special release hazy IPA.
The raspberry one if that is the regular one. It's so good. I fear that those 8 will be the only ones I get this year.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I have too much beer in the pantry. I'm not a heavy drinker -- a beer every couple of days or so -- so it's going to be a while before I get through them all. Today, I picked up some wheats and whites at the local beer store. It's getting to be that time of year where I have to drink up the cold weather stouts and porters, and make way for the lawnmower beers.

I never waited in line for a limited release. When I go to the beer store, I don't usually have a particular beer in mind. I don't have a beard. I'm an amateur compared to youse.

Beer stores shold take a cue from wine stores, and post reviews and ratings on the shelves for certain beers.

Here's a scene from a government alcohol store in Iceland.

The brewery tour.

Yours truly.

The current selction of American beers in Iceland's liquor stores:

Among the US breweries with distribution in Iceland: Founder's, Prairie, Bells, Kona, and Flying Dog.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Let's talk about Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS) a bit. I sampled some KBS several years ago and was most impressed. This beer has more clout than, well, any other I can think of. But it was compact and well-balanced at the same time. One of the few bourbon barrel aged beers that manage to pull off the impression of bourbon, chocolate, and coffee without overwhelming this very substantial stout. Make no bones about it, Founders has managed to create a great beer in KBS.

The problem is they know it. Based on past experience, they know in advance that when they place KBS in stores it will fly off the shelves in a matter of a few days and be leaving the beer drinkers of the world begging for more. So they have priced a four pack at $24! That's right, $6 a bottle (or $8 if you get a single at the party store). And we're not talking about a 22 oz. bomber, nor even a 16 oz. pint. We're talking about $6 for a 12 oz. bottle of beer. In other words, almost five times the going rate for decent beer. The law of diminishing returns begins to kick in. I wouldn't be surprised if KBS spends a bit more time on the shelf this year.

Last edited:

Big Owl

Cyburbian
The raspberry one if that is the regular one. It's so good. I fear that those 8 will be the only ones I get this year.
Last year they did concord grape, strawberry rhubarb, raspberry, and raspberry barrel aged peanut butter jelly time . They just canned the raspberry last year just like they have since 2011. I like brown ales but I am not a huge fan of fruit beers. However, I did try the raspberry barreled aged and it was really good and very drinkable even with the higher abv. The strawberry rhubarb got rave reviews so they decided to can it too this year. It's in a pink color can. They said that it was the biggest release weekend that they have ever had. I remember when they first canned it in 2011/12, they did 6-pack 12 oz cans. I bought a 6-pack months after the release for half price because they were trying to get rid of it. Now they sell out in a month or so despite brewing more each year. It's got a cult following. I figure it won't be long until it is a year round release.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Based on past experience, they know in advance that when they place KBS in stores it will fly off the shelves in a matter of a few days and be leaving the beer drinkers of the world begging for more. So they have priced a four pack at $24! That's right, $6 a bottle (or $8 if you get a single at the party store). And we're not talking about a 22 oz. bomber, nor even a 16 oz. pint. We're talking about $6 for a 12 oz. bottle of beer. In other words, almost five times the going rate for decent beer. The law of diminishing returns begins to kick in. I wouldn't be surprised if KBS spends a bit more time on the shelf this year.
Yeah...pass.

Planit

Cyburbian
I've had KBS (& CBS) and it's good, but I don't think $24 a 4-pack good. The watering hole I generally go to has it on tap when it's released and it's $6 for a "short-pour (10 oz.).

My limit is $18 I paid for a 6-pack of HopSlam which has a similar cult following.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Last year they did concord grape, strawberry rhubarb, raspberry, and raspberry barrel aged peanut butter jelly time . They just canned the raspberry last year just like they have since 2011. I like brown ales but I am not a huge fan of fruit beers. However, I did try the raspberry barreled aged and it was really good and very drinkable even with the higher abv. The strawberry rhubarb got rave reviews so they decided to can it too this year. It's in a pink color can. They said that it was the biggest release weekend that they have ever had. I remember when they first canned it in 2011/12, they did 6-pack 12 oz cans. I bought a 6-pack months after the release for half price because they were trying to get rid of it. Now they sell out in a month or so despite brewing more each year. It's got a cult following. I figure it won't be long until it is a year round release.
I didn't see the strawberry one anywhere. It was hard enough to track down the regular raspberry one this year. It's almost like Catawba Brewing is outlawed here. I only saw White Zombie. That was the only thing most of these stores had in stock, and it was relegated to the bottom of the cooler. These were at major grocery chains known for having a decent craft beer selection (Harris Teeter and Lowes mostly). I found it really odd.

I'm not sure I'd want it as a year round release. It's a great beer, but it's the fact that it's seasonal that makes it so good. If I could get it whenever I wanted I probably wouldn't buy any more than what I do now. I do wonder if it should be more of a fall or winter beer though, rather than a spring beer that it is now. I wish I could order a case straight from the brewery!

Planit

Cyburbian
Regional brewery & their beers are pretty good. AG’s favorite Peanut Butter Jelly Time is from Catawba. They have 2 regular IPAS, Hopallachia & this one Hopnest Monster.

Juicy front end with hop bite ending. A quality IPA. 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺
(on phone & photo too large-I’ll resize it later)

Now I’ve seen some things in the dammed river making a lake here, but not Hopnessie...yet. I bet you’ll see it after several of these @ 6.8%.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
In June I am going to St. Louis for a week for a conference and I'm interested in checking out this brewery I've read about the specializes in Belgian beers. I think it's called InBev? Does anybody here have any experience with InBev or some recommendations on what to enjoy in St. Louis? ;)

Planit

Cyburbian
In June I am going to St. Louis for a week for a conference and I'm interested in checking out this brewery I've read about the specializes in Belgian beers. I think it's called InBev? Does anybody here have any experience with InBev or some recommendations on what to enjoy in St. Louis? ;)
From what I've heard their beers are overrated ;)

You might want to try 4 Hands Brewery, it's closer to the ballpark anyway.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
From what I've heard their beers are overrated ;)

You might want to try 4 Hands Brewery, it's closer to the ballpark anyway.

Thanks for the tip. My hotel is just a block or two north of the ballpark and it looks like 4 Hands is just a few blocks further south. I'll definitely check it out.

Planit

Cyburbian
Keeping with the Catawba theme - went to one of their facilities Saturday for a new release in their Cloud Cover series.

Rising Sun IPA is a hazy 7.8% New England style IPA with very good flavor. There is no strong bitter taste and very drinkable.

While I was there, I also had a pint of Drum Line Haze, their new DIPA. Yummmmmmmmmmm! It's only 8.4% for a double.

Both of these are very similar in flavor and you might have a hard time deciding which was which. There's a tad more bite and slightly darker hue in the DIPA.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Did you take that picture in my kitchen? It looks like you might have...anyhoo, that IPA didn't move the meter for me - drinkable, but nothing jumped out at me to make it one to add to my regular rotation. I'll try it on draft if I ever see it around here, though (and I actually think I know a local place that currently has it on tap) - that usually gives me a better idea on beers than trying it from a can first.

I did get out on Saturday to restock the beer fridge - had to force myself to add in a couple of sixers of something other than IPAs (I'd definitely fallen into a rut) - grabbed a pale ale (from Back Forty in Alabama) and an ESB (from Green Man in Asheville).

Bubba

Cyburbian
...grabbed a pale ale (from Back Forty in Alabama).
Naked Pig Pale Ale - drinkable, but not really my cup of tea (metaphorically speaking). But, it's one Mrs. Bubba will probably like, so it won't go to waste.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Let's talk about Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS) a bit. I sampled some KBS several years ago and was most impressed. This beer has more clout than, well, any other I can think of. But it was compact and well-balanced at the same time. One of the few bourbon barrel aged beers that manage to pull off the impression of bourbon, chocolate, and coffee without overwhelming this very substantial stout. Make no bones about it, Founders has managed to create a great beer in KBS.

The problem is they know it. Based on past experience, they know in advance that when they place KBS in stores it will fly off the shelves in a matter of a few days and be leaving the beer drinkers of the world begging for more. So they have priced a four pack at $24! That's right, $6 a bottle (or $8 if you get a single at the party store). And we're not talking about a 22 oz. bomber, nor even a 16 oz. pint. We're talking about $6 for a 12 oz. bottle of beer. In other words, almost five times the going rate for decent beer. The law of diminishing returns begins to kick in. I wouldn't be surprised if KBS spends a bit more time on the shelf this year.

View attachment 24295
I had a couple of short pours at a bar last week for $6 a piece. I saw it for $21 at a grocery store in the affluent area of the town next door. It was good but not good enough to come home with me. There were so many other offerings. Also this time of year, I gravitate toward IPA's, Gose, Sours, and Wheat Ales. Stouts are a fall and winter beer for me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I had a couple of short pours at a bar last week for $6 a piece. I saw it for $21 at a grocery store in the affluent area of the town next door. It was good but not good enough to come home with me. There were so many other offerings. Also this time of year, I gravitate toward IPA's, Gose, Sours, and Wheat Ales. Stouts are a fall and winter beer for me.
I think most folks consider stouts a fall/winter offering. Kind of makes you question the timing of their release in springtime. Oh well, shouldn't worry about Founders, I'm sure they'll make bundles of cash.

Planit

Cyburbian
Dogfish Head & Boston Brewery have merged in a $300 million deal. Part of the reason is to stay independent of the big boys. The 2 owners worked together on several craft beer issues over the years and had developed a friendship too.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Dogfish Head & Boston Brewery have merged in a $300 million deal. Part of the reason is to stay independent of the big boys. The 2 owners worked together on several craft beer issues over the years and had developed a friendship too.
Nice.

Planit

Cyburbian
Charlotte Brewery had their delivery van stolen - offered a keg party as a reward for its safe return - 42 minutes later, van was found!
What a concept....

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Charlotte Brewery had their delivery van stolen - offered a keg party as a reward for its safe return - 42 minutes later, van was found!
What a concept....

“It sounds like all we need to do to have a keg party is hide your van from you for 45 minutes,” wrote Matt McCauley on Facebook.
Hey, that was my idea. Well it actually was to borrow the van, go by a big box hardware store to pick up project supplies, return the van, and receive a keg party.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I visited a small brewery Saturday. The distribution is limited to their taproom. I ordered their "flagship" IPA. It was harsh, very dank. The brewer told me that someone turned a valve and the secondary fermentation stalled. He went on to say that it wasn't drinkable last week and that he hadn't tried it this week. What the heck???? At the least, he should have called it an experimental beer. Quality control much. I stopped at a pint and was ready to move on to the next stop.

shell_waster

Cyburbian
I've been enjoying SweetWater's new 420 Strain G13 IPA. It contains 6% abv and labeled as, "We took an already dank IPA and married its hops with strain specific terpenes and natural hemp-type flavor. The result is an aromatic super-hybrid sticky IPA that's ready to rip."

This has recently replaced the random Terrapin or Creature Comforts IPA that I enjoy.