The NEVERENDING Beer Thread

I have been working my way - slowly - through the midwest :beers: I received from Gedunker. The reason I'm a bit slow getting through them is that I had a nasty cold and then cough which killed my tastebuds. I didn't want to drink them then because I would really have no clue as to flavor when I was sick.

The IPAs I gave to dad. He likes those in general, so I thought he'd be a better judge of them than I. I've finished off the others except for one - simply because I limited my self to one at a time. I'll have to finished my report after Christmas, when I will partake of the last one.

Thanks, Gedunker, for the opportunity to try :beers::beers: that aren't available around here!

Gedunker

Moderating
I have been working my way - slowly - through the midwest :beers: I received from Gedunker. The reason I'm a bit slow getting through them is that I had a nasty cold and then cough which killed my tastebuds. I didn't want to drink them then because I would really have no clue as to flavor when I was sick.

The IPAs I gave to dad. He likes those in general, so I thought he'd be a better judge of them than I. I've finished off the others except for one - simply because I limited my self to one at a time. I'll have to finished my report after Christmas, when I will partake of the last one.

Thanks, Gedunker, for the opportunity to try :beers::beers: that aren't available around here!
I'm not a fan of IPAs myself and so was disappointed when I realized the last four-pack I bought were IPAs. I made it through two and sent the other half on to you. I hope your Dad liked them. I liked the Shotgun Wedding, too. But, I think the Cheetah, from Rheingeist was my favorite.

I think, if I do this again next summer, I'll set a side two from each sixpack, so my "victim" can share them with a spouse/guest and have the communal taste experience.

Glad you enjoyed them and you are welcome Salmissra. It was my pleasure.

Planit

Cyburbian
A friend of mine brought me a New Glarus Scream IIPA. Nice flavor and over the top for a double.

I like their tagline: Drink Indigenous

I was glad to get this, especially after I read an article where there are a number of area breweries whose beers do not leave the region.

Planit

Cyburbian
Received my annual HopSlam purchase last night.

According to my buddy, the beer wasn't supposed to be released until Saturday at the local grocery store. I stopped by the store about 9:00pm and didn't see it. I asked a stockboy if they had any in the back & he went to look. He comes out with a case which I gladly took off his hands. Cashier ran it right through. I stopped by my buddy's house on the way home and surprised him (he now has 2 of the 6-packs).

I might run back out there Friday night and try the same trick...or wait until Saturday to purchase another 6-pack.

I was at the store on Monday and saw oodles and oodles of cases of Hopslam stacked up. I never really cared for it but was tempted to grab one just to give it a try again (I don't think I have had it in at least 5 years now). I ultimately decided against it though because it would take me forever to get through a 12-pack. I wish they would release it in 6-packs of cans (if they have, I haven't seen it).

My wife's cousin and her husband stayed with us at Christmastime for a few days and when they went out to lunch one day they brought me back a 4-pack from the brewery they visited. They knew I liked sours and goses so they picked up the seasonal offering from the brewery - a cranberry gose. I think cranberry sauce is disgusting and was expecting the beer to taste like some sort of jellied monstrosity with it either being overly sweetened or way too bitter. However, I was pleasantly surprised that it was neither of those and had a good amount of tartness to it. I drank the first 3 pretty quickly and held on to the last one until last night. I may have to swing past my liquor store tonight or tomorrow to see if they happen to have any more left since they are done brewing this variety for the winter.

CranberryGose.jpg

Planit

Cyburbian
I was at the store on Monday and saw oodles and oodles of cases of Hopslam stacked up. I never really cared for it but was tempted to grab one just to give it a try again (I don't think I have had it in at least 5 years now). I ultimately decided against it though because it would take me forever to get through a 12-pack. I wish they would release it in 6-packs of cans (if they have, I haven't seen it).
I now also understand it will be limited to one 6-pack per person at the store (so I scored bigly).

All we get here are 6-packs of cans.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Haven't tried the beer yet. I just like the label.

IMG_0217.JPG

Also, I'm not a fan of Empire Brewing Black Magic Stout. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but there was almost no carbonation, it poured and tasted syrupy, and it tasted a little bit like cough medicine. Definitely not stouty.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Speaking of bad bottles, I've concluded I was grossly unfair to Atwater Brewery several years ago when I cut on a few of their regular offerings (musta had a bad assortment pack). Their dark chocolate ale is one of my all time favorites, in fact.

Speaking of bad bottles, I've concluded I was grossly unfair to Atwater Brewery several years ago when I cut on a few of their regular offerings (musta had a bad assortment pack). Their dark chocolate ale is one of my all time favorites, in fact.
3 or 4 years ago they moved all of their bottling from their small brewpub-type location into a more professional industrial facility. I used to work at a foundation across the street from their brewpub and the beer was good if you got it there on tap but even buying a six-pack to take home was usually a bad idea as they seemed to have horrible quality control in regards to how well things were sealed or how fresh things were. Once they moved into a facility that was entirely designed for bottling for a larger distribution their quality went up exponentially. I agree that their Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale is a great one. Their Mai Bock is also really good but that's generally a very limited seasonal run and I don't know that I even ever see it in bottles, only on tap around here.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This may be of interest to some: the (mostly) western Michigan aisle at my local beer store.

The image is about 8000 pixels wide.

FWIW, all those cans to the right are a small part of the Upstate NY beer selection.

Gedunker

Moderating
Wow, I see Bell's Oarsman in there. For some reason, I can't get that at my local Meijer anymore. Oarsman is a good and tasty summer beer, IMO.

The only ones I've had beer from on that list are Russian River and New Glarus.

There used to be an awesome BBQ place near my office that had a fantastic beer list but they sadly closed down just over a year ago. My discovery of good beer has gone down a lot since then.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Wow, looks like the assortment of Michigan beers available to Dan rivals what we have available here! Ooooh Dragon's Milk! Always nice to see some prime offerings from New Holland!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Where did you get the New Glarus beers? The only times I've had any success getting my hands on the likes of Uff Da or Spotted Cow have been when I drove to New Glarus myself or had a friend stop there and buy me a case.

@Maister - Spotted Cow and the Belgian Red are the only ones I've ever had. My oldest brother is an IT sales rep and is out in that northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin area quite a bit and usually brings me back a random 6-pack from somewhere in the region if it's around the holidays. He hasn't brought me anything in a while. I may have to give him a call to see what's up with that!

Referencing Dan's photo...

Aaaahhhhh. Ooohhhhh. Yuummmm. drool.......

10 best breweries list - how many have you had beers from???
http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/beerandcider/the-world%e2%80%99s-10-best-breweries-according-to-ratebeer/ar-BBSU1UA?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

There used to be an awesome BBQ place near my office that had a fantastic beer list but they sadly closed down just over a year ago. My discovery of good beer has gone down a lot since then.
I can now say I've also had beer from Cigar City Brewing. I picked up a 6-pack of Guayabera Citra Pale Ale at the store yesterday. I enjoyed it.