• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Bicycle Thread

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Here's a thread started just before the forum went down. Thanks to EG, Donk, Mike, Tranplanner and the rest for keeping it going on the temporary forum.

Here's some interesting info for you recumbent-dissers out there. Sam Whittingham broke the World Human Powered Speed Challenge record in 2002 by going 81 MPH. This year's competition at Battle Mountain in Nevada will likely lead to another broken record.

You can get all the info at the WHPSC website here: World Human Powered Speed Challenge .

Now that's human-powered SPEED!

Last edited:

el Guapo

Capitalist
I watched Breaking Away the other night. Man where those guys young back in the day. The movie was kind of campy, but the 70's pop-genre didn't totally ruin it. I enjoyed the 18-wheeler scene. How many of you have done the drafting 60mph?

donk

Cyburbian
Never got up to 60mph, but nothing feels as good as being able to latch onto the draft of a semi up to about 35mph.

Descending last week set a new record, 73km/hr (45mph).

For another good bike movie, if you like subtitles check out "2 seconds" I am pretty sure that is its name. It is about a courier who falls in love with this weird old guy that used to race bikes.

Here is a full list i found when trying to remember the title

http://www.massbike.org/info/movies.htm

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
whoa... 81 mph... now that's some cyclist...

The fastest I've been able to reach is around 35 km/h (~22 mph) on a mtb...

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: The NEVER ENDING Bicycle Thread

DecaturHawk said:

Here's some interesting info for you recumbent-dissers out there. Sam Whittingham broke the World Human Powered Speed Challenge record in 2002 by going 81 MPH. SPEED!
Come talk to me when he can average that for 40K ;)

WTF is up with OLN and no prime time Vuelta coverage?

E-mail them, and bitch at them.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Re: Re: The NEVER ENDING Bicycle Thread

Mike D. said:
Come talk to me when he can average that for 40K ;)
Come talk to me when a wedgie rider can get to 81 MPH for any length of time ;-)

martini

Cyburbian
Yeah, but those new DA cranks are simply hideous! Gimme Campy and I'm a happy man. ShimaNO just doesn't do it for this bloke.

Jeff

Cyburbian
The DA crankset is horrible. You can always use the old school one though. That's what I'm gonna do.

donk

Cyburbian
The local shop just got back from the Canadian Trade show and sent me some pictures of the C50, fondriests and looks. They all look so nice. I have to agree the new durace cranks don't look too road like. The XTR and new XT versions look awesome though.

Being a canadian public sector planner I'll never have to worry about the problem of having durace on my bike . :(

Here are the results for this years human powered speed championships. A Canadian won with speeds of 75 mph.

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews/September/9.18.035.12PM27.shtml

To go with the lost fashion tips.

NEVER EVER wear anything like this.

http://www.buschmantechnologies.com

I just lost a whole lot of respect for one of the other boards I read regularily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Ok, gearheads, I have a question for you. I have to go out on the trails this weekend to do research (some hardship, huh?) on a bike. I have my choice of 3, all fubar in some way or another.
Bike A--chain keeps falling off derailleur, suspect damage in some way. And it's a Huffy.
Bike B--either the wheel is bent or it's set into the frame wrong. It's a Schwinn MTB, my roomie's, but he never uses it.
Bike C--also an MTB, like the 1st two, a pretty nice one (don't remember brand) that probably just needs a tune-up and possibly new tires.
I don't ride enough, unfortunately, to shell out mucho dinero on any of them. Which one would you recommend having fixed, and which would be cheapest?
Thankee kindly!

martini

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
Ok, gearheads, I have a question for you. I have to go out on the trails this weekend to do research (some hardship, huh?) on a bike. I have my choice of 3, all fubar in some way or another.
Bike A--chain keeps falling off derailleur, suspect damage in some way. And it's a Huffy.
Bike B--either the wheel is bent or it's set into the frame wrong. It's a Schwinn MTB, my roomie's, but he never uses it.
Bike C--also an MTB, like the 1st two, a pretty nice one (don't remember brand) that probably just needs a tune-up and possibly new tires.
I don't ride enough, unfortunately, to shell out mucho dinero on any of them. Which one would you recommend having fixed, and which would be cheapest?
Thankee kindly!
Which ever one FITS best(and not the huffy, you don't wanna be stranded out there, right?) Sounds like bike "B" is your best bet. Stop into the local freindly bike shop and have them give it a quick once over to see if it all in working order. Should be cheap. Have fun!

Anyone here follow cyclocross? MikeD? lately I've been obsessed with it. Lusting after various bikes, Reading VeloNews and Cyclocrossworld.com, and Roadbike reviews CX page.

I dunno what it is, but the image of riding through conditions where you;d normally be sitting inside watching the tube and drinking tea just seems appealing to me. Ahh, suffering!

donk

Cyburbian
martini asked
Anyone here follow cyclocross?
oh yeah, especially east coast/boston scene.

One of my friends is the five time canadian champ. One of my best cycling memories was taking some jr's to nats and having one win a silver medal,. On the drive home I asked to see the medal, he was still wearing it, 6 hours later.

I've done it twice, 1 hour of pure lung and leg burning hell.

martini

Cyburbian
donk said:

I've done it twice, 1 hour of pure lung and leg burning hell.
Yeah, innit wonderful? :D The great thing baou tbeing near Minneapolis is that there's a race every weekend up through late November. I'll go spectate and maybe participate if I feel like the legs are there.

Jeff

Cyburbian
martini said:
Anyone here follow cyclocross?
You had to ask didn't you?

So now you will get the standard PA bike racer response....

Cross is gay. (sorry gays)

Cross Bike = A bike that gets used in comparable mileage to the mountain bike (20 miles a month?), needs to have the cobwebs cleaned off between ridings, and is one of the most frequent topics of bitching wives across the Philly region ... "what the hell do you need new wheels for? You have 5 bikes in the garage, and when the hell is the last time you rode that cross thing that you just had to have?"

Plannerbabs said:

Probably too late but ...

Bike A - Chains don't fall off derailleurs. I suspect you mean the chainring? Which would be caused by a front mech which needs to be adjusted to not move the chain so far...or...the rider drops the chain while the chain is under a heavy load, i.e. you are riding up a hill in the big ring standing up and realize you have to much gear and try to shift to the small ring, thus dropping the chain (also known as the messenger shift).

Either way stay away from Bike A because it is a Huffy. You shouldn't be on a trail with a Huffy.

Bike B - Wheel probably just has a kink and needs to be trued. $20.00 at the LBS.

Bike C - Tune ups can run anywhere from $50.00 to $200+ You probably just need the gears adjusted and not a tune up. mountain bikes rarely "need" new tires if ridden only off road, unless they are ancient and are dry rotting (look for cracks).

Best Bet - Bike C if you don't have to shell out for tires.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Thats great, that article is probably getting more people to dust off their bikes now. Its funny, these articles seem to focus on planners, our planning director had one a few years ago.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
"I wear colors when I ride that I would never allow into my daily wardrobe.”
So that's why people have been laughing at me behind my back...

Congrats, EG! Isn't it great to lose weight and get in shape? Since July I have gone from 245 to 216 and I attribute a lot of it to my new bike (yes, the Barcalounger on Wheels). I'm shooting for 190 and expect to get there before next spring (at the rate I've been going, I could make it by the end of the year). I'm also in my forties and having the time of my life. My kids love to ride behind in the Wike Trailer. I feel better than I have in years.

Everyone, get a bike and ride it.

donk

Cyburbian
So what brand of bikes did you pick up at the garage sale?Something nice I hope.

While the article mentions cycling is good for depression, watch out for the end of season burn out (I'm having it now) and the winter blues. The good news is that come February, you get the jones to ride again.

Next year we'll have to see who loses more weight( I could use to lose 25 pounds) and rides more (slightly behind target to ride 3000 km road and 1000 km mtb this year)

Jeff

Cyburbian
That is so awesome !!!!!

The thing that struck me the most was a resting HR of 105 bpm. Holy Shit!

You should be proud of yourself!

BTW: HR is an excellent gauge of fitness. Mine is like 49-52 (resting) depending on the ambient temperature, and around 35-40 rising (but I'm also younger).

If you check it in the morning before getting out of bed it will give you a real good gauge on your fitness, and if you see it start to go up, and you've been riding just as much or more, you are overdoing it, and you need a break. Your heart is the best training tool you have. Learn to use it.

My advice for the day.

Before I started riding I was a 200lb, beer swilling, Marine Corps rugby player. The bike changed my life. Love the bike. The bike is good.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Donk
It is a 1984 Raleigh Technium Al - Just an old roadbike with dura ace hubs and components - and some sweet early premium Nashbar aloy rims. Not bad for $25. I have Yellow tape on the bars and the frame is deep blue. It looks good - but somewhat dated. Rides nice - but what do I have to compare it too? I don't feel the need to upgrade yet.

MikeD - Yeah it is nice to not be winded and hot all the time.

DH - I'm shooting for 185. I'm gonna ride a century to celebrate when I get there.

martini

Cyburbian
EG, thats awesome! Congratulations. I was taken aback by the 105 RHR as well. whoo! Bikes are simply amazing contraptions. They can take you nearly anywhere, anytime. Keep us updated, it is amazing to how far you've come in this short of time.

el Guapo

Capitalist
She only got one detail wrong. I started the diet in July. I have been riding, and gradually increasing my milage for about a year. I'm outfitting a bike with fenders for winter riding. I may even get a set of snow tires (really) for it. No chains or studs though. I wonder if I should put two sandbags in the panniers?

donk

Cyburbian
I love old parts, early 80's durace can be a treat to look at, but no comparison to similar era campy parts. When you hit 1000 miles, are you still on for a new bike?

If they'll fit try getting some 38 c cross tires. You are one tough / committed guy to ride in the winter.

Keep up the good work, and keep us informed, it is always nice to hear from someone not so jaded by the "sport" and business of racing.

The Irish One

I'm shooting for 185. I'm gonna ride a century to celebrate when I get there
Truly inspirational! Congrads on everything you've accomplished with the bike. It's great that your son is riding with you as well. You'll never not think about biking for the rest of your life!

On a sad note, I noticed on Bike Forums that Ken Kifer died and that really sucks -he got hit by a drunk driver who had just gotten out of jail 4 hours earlier. Ken helped me prepare for my first bike tour that was 1800 miles lolng. He really was a nice guy and his website always had answers and humor that relieved any stress I was feeling before the departure. God Bless Ken Kifer, a man dedicated to cycling.

I wonder if I should put two sandbags in the panniers?
Not a bad idea -I used encyclopedias for a while. What kind of panniers do you have?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Ken - We Will Miss You.

Irish-
Ken Kifer's website taught me so much when I was starting out. I spent hours on it. My dad is paralyzed because a druggie was driving and hit him and Ken is now dead. I wonder if we have just accepted this as a normal part of society. I'm truly at a point where I am for on the spot road-side executions if you blow a 0.12. Leave the body to rot as a warning to others. Why should the rest of us pay the enormous price we pay for these DUI @holes.

I tried to put something about Ken’s death in our newsletter, but it got edited out. It was off topic/mission, so I don’t have any heartburn the boss’s decision. But you want to let the rest of the world know a great injustice was done. I used a tool to download his entire site the day I heard the news. I’m going to archive it.

www.kenkifer.com <= I hope people will give it a look even if they are not a bicyclists.

The Irish One

I have ZERO TOLERANCE for driving impaired. That is so cool you downloaded the website, last night I was in a panic that the site would close and no more Ken! So what's the tool used for this?

Sorry to hear that about your dad, that's a tragedy. When I hear about people getting away with driving while intoxicated I'm completely infuriated at the carelessness of their actions. Your idea of on the spot execution is not such a bad one!

Ken dying like this pisses me off to no end. This guy had so much life in him. There are no words!

el Guapo

Capitalist
I used Microsoft Frontpage XP's import web wizzard. But I'm sure you can get some freeware from www.zdnet.com that will do as well.

Once I wait a while and give the family some time, I'm going to ask about their wishes. I may just give away free cd's of the site to friends. With FP I can burn a site to a CD and it will autostart.

www.BikeForums.net has said they will host the site. I think one of his friends has plans to keep the site up and active.

donk

Cyburbian
I am going to the Road World Championships in Hamilton, Ontario next week. Anyone want any souvenirs? Canada Post has released a commemorative stamp and gift pack, there are pins and all of the normal stuff.

Trade for any of you neat cycling memorabilia.

Anyone else planning on going?

Jeff

Cyburbian
You gonna be near any of the Mavic Neutral support cars? I need a set of cosmics.

And since they had to go ahead and change the color scheme for the Ksyriums to black on white, I'll need a set of those too. Can't be racing on last years gear you know.

....on a lighter note. I crashed last night. Crashing sucks. That makes 3 for the year. This one was only at like 10mph, so wasn't anywhere as bad as the 37.3 mph header I took beginning of the season.

Bike's OK though in case you were wondering.

martini

Cyburbian
I could use a few water bottles. Used are ok. Don't wash them either. :) Maybe a few Gu wrappers or something...Have a good time! Wish I could make it that far...

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:
I am going to the Road World Championships in Hamilton, Ontario next week. Anyone want any souvenirs? Canada Post has released a commemorative stamp and gift pack, there are pins and all of the normal stuff.

Trade for any of you neat cycling memorabilia.

Anyone else planning on going?
You got a digital camera, right?

donk

Cyburbian
I should have a digital camera (parent's), a digital video camera (friend I am staying with) and my trusty AE1.

I prefer to shoot these things in film, but will be doing the digital thing if I can get the cameras. Maybe I should just breakdown and buy one when I'm in Toronto.

I am still waiting to hear on VIP passes, if I get one, expect a few shots from a car or the back of a motorcycle. When I was at teh Montreal Women's World Cup 2 years ago we had passes for teh motorcycles and it was awesome

The best sites for play by play will be canadiancyclist.com and eurosport.com

CBC TV will have 2-3 hours/day tape delayed on as well. I'm trying to get someone to tape it for me.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:

I prefer to shoot these things in film, but will be doing the digital thing if I can get the cameras. Maybe I should just breakdown and buy one when I'm in Toronto.

CBC TV will have 2-3 hours/day tape delayed on as well. I'm trying to get someone to tape it for me.
You could probably borrow my camera if you want. If I get the TV hooked up and have decent enough reception, I can also set the VCR. Doesn't look like I'll be able to join you at the race on Sunday though.

Jeff

Cyburbian
OK great we got the pictures covered, now back to my wheels.

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SSC .... for Shimano. You can keep the Pro Race tires that are on them, I got 10 pairs in the garage.

donk

Cyburbian
Mike's wish list included
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SSC .... for Shimano.

No Mavic wheels this year, it looks like shimano is the neutral support.

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:
Mike's wish list included

No Mavic wheels this year, it looks like shimano is the neutral support.
What are you talking about? Mavic is the "only" neutral support aren't they? So what if you flat you gotta throw on a shimano wheelset? Most teams ride Campy, how is shimano handling that?

Damn we had Mavic at Univest 2 weeks ago, you'd think they would do the worlds.

donk

Cyburbian
There has been quite a bit of whining about the shimano thing.

Just repeating the official party line.

Don't forget that is for neutral support only. The team cars can carry whatever they want.

Unfortunately, some teams, like Canada and the other bottom feeders, have to share cars in the caravan.

On an item related to the radio tower thread, I'm glad I have a geeky fire fighter friend, he is going to probably bring one of their department's mobile scanners. That way we can try to listen to the team cars.

Martini I'll try to pick up some water bottles for you. I can probably get team canada ones, unused. Sometimes it is good to be a volunteer.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:
On an item related to the radio tower thread, I'm glad I have a geeky fire fighter friend, he is going to probably bring one of their department's mobile scanners. That way we can try to listen to the team cars.

Martini I'll try to pick up some water bottles for you. I can probably get team canada ones, unused. Sometimes it is good to be a volunteer.
:-$ your geeky railfanning friend can probably hook you up with a scanner too...

I'll take a water bottle or three.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Fight the Power!

Dear Mr. Messenger,
Road cycling is an act of faith. You trust your fellow man to steer vehicles very capable of killing you instantly just a few feet away from you at much higher speed than your own. Yet, you also know that the society we live in has a few people that like to prey on those they think are weaker and vulnerable. So often are we bicyclists beset by these off-balance individuals that no one can ride without a sense of the high-probability of impending conflict. You know its coming. Some times you go long stretches without incident, and almost regain your faith in your fellow man. But invariably the assaults, the thrown objects, the screaming hatred that is automobilist-on-cyclist road rage comes again. You just don't know when it will come. But it always comes eventually.

I, and I'm sure 99.99% of all my fellow experienced cyclists seek to avoid any form of conflict. The odds are overwhelmingly against us in such a battle. We will take the lane when we must for our own safety, but we don't seek conflict with those that could crush us with the flick of the wrist. But, sometimes it gets scary out on the road alone. Since having been assaulted by idiots myself in the middle of nowhere because the idiots thought they could get away with it, I think a cell phone, some Halt(TM) and a pistol make sense to me personally. In fact I'm going to wager some bike-hating creep eventually catches a round or two and goes down with a look of surprise on his face. Is that a sad thing? Sure it is. But if it was a cyclist minding their own business who was set upon by some of the "anger management" crowd, I'd don't think I'd weep to hard. Concealed carry sure evens things up a bit in my book.

I personally don't ever want to have to pull a weapon, let alone use it. But I'll not be a victim either.

Thank you for offering your observations. I, however, don't agree with the premise that law-abiding cyclists possessing a tool of self-defense is such a bad idea, as you say Mr. McDonald believes. We are all in this together and I hope someday to feel like it is safe to ride. That isn't asking too much.

El Guapo

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2003/Oct/20031002Feat001.asp

By TONY MESSENGER
Published Thursday, October 2, 2003
Writing a column is a lot like riding a bike on a highway without a shoulder.

Occasionally somebody in a speeding 2000-pound vehicle zooms alongside you and tries to run you off the road.

Such was the road rage caused by my column a couple weeks ago on motorist-cycling conflicts. The intensity of responses, mostly from cyclists, depended on whether they thought I was promoting the cyclists-as-bowling-pins metaphor - I wasn't - or whether they had been run off the road lately.

The common theme among those who responded to the column was that most motorists have no idea why cyclists are so defensive over their right to share the road. The condition develops after years of almost weekly conflicts that scare cyclists to death, Jim McDonald told me.

McDonald is a longtime member of the Columbia Bike Club and a former director of the club s racing team. He logs about 8,000 to 10,000 road miles a year on his bike, which, he says, is a minimum for anybody who wants to race competitively.

He realizes that many cyclists are oversensitive about their conflicts with motorists, but he defends such reactions as natural based on what they have to endure to participate in their
avocation.

McDonald says that on average he doesn’t go more than two weeks without some sort of conflict with a motorist. Sometimes it s somebody driving too close, or it might be somebody who yells out the window at him. But at least once a month it's worse. He gets run off the road; something gets tossed at him.

It can be downright scary, he says.

It’s why he takes issue with folks who drive up to bicyclists and try to debate them over their right to the road.

"I don’t think people stop to think what kind of person it makes them to use the 2000-pound car or truck to make their point," he says. "It makes them a coward."

>From McDonald’s standpoint, incidents like that can’t ever turn out positive. Even if a driver truly believes they’re trying to be nice and do the right thing, they have to yell out the window
just for the cyclist to hear them. And the cyclist is probably already scared before the car ever pulls up to them.

It points to the larger conflict that McDonald would like to fix. Motorists and cyclists just don’t understand where each one is coming from. Most cyclists, he says, will do anything they can
to avoid conflict with motorists.

"We really make an effort to avoid traffic," he says. "We don’t want to be around traffic any more than we have to. It’s a very threatening situation."

McDonald has ridden Route J frequently, much like the cyclists I wrote about. Most area cyclists, he says, know when to ride it and when to avoid it. The same is true of the other rural routes
cyclists prefer for training.

The problem, of course, is that some motorists just don’t want cyclists on the road at all. And some cyclists take their defensiveness a bit too far.

Take one of the other cyclists who wrote me a couple of weeks ago. He sent me a link to a St. Louis Internet forum where cyclists were responding to talk of a fellow biker being run
off the road. The discussion quickly turned to which sort of sidearm various cyclists consider carrying while they ride. The exchange took place, ironically, a couple days before the
Missouri General Assembly overturned the governor s veto of a bill allowing concealed weapons.

"I recommend the new line from Smith & Wesson," said one reply. "It weighs in at about 12 oz. and shoots a .356 magnum cartridge - perfect for the weight conscious cyclist."

Said another: "I have the Lady Sig P239 which I really like but it’s heavy and I don’t carry it with me at this time anyway."

"Model 340PD is at Galyans," said somebody from the St. Louis Cycling Club. "I have played with it a little. It is ultra light and a good one for your ankle."

Cyclists and concealed weapons: Coming soon to a road near you.

Count McDonald as those who believe such an extreme is a bad idea. Another bad idea, he says, is riding side by side. While cyclists might do that at times, most of them will move right back to single file when a car is coming, he says. He's aware, though, that some refuse.

"Anybody who does that is really being a knucklehead," he says.

When McDonald sees bicyclists not following the rules of the road, he’s not afraid to ride up to them and give them a piece of his mind.

"I've yelled at people," he says. "I'll tell them: “You might not care who you piss off, but I have to ride out here, too."

He'll continue riding, and dodging danger, because that’s what he loves doing. McDonald turned to the sport because recurring injuries wouldn't let him play basketball or run anymore. Biking was therapy at first; now it’s his sport of choice.

The only injuries he gets anymore come from crashes. Those, of course, would be generally avoidable, if motorists and cyclists together would follow the rules of the road.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tony Messenger a columnist at the Tribune. His
column appears on Sunday and Tuesday through
Thursday. He can be reached at 815-1728 or by
e-mail at tmessenger@tribmail.com.

-------
Visit http://www.MoBikeFed.org
List archives at http://www.topica.com/lists/mobikefed-chat/read
--^----------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff

Cyburbian
I also don't believe that you need to ride 8-10K miles a year to race competitively. Thats BS. 2-3K base in the winter, followed by high intensity interval sessions weekly will have you racing like me ;)

60 miles a week during the racing season is all you need.

Quality not quantity.

donk

Cyburbian
I'm out of here shortly for my trip.

I'll post images from road worlds as I can.

One of my friends has lucked out for an awesome volunteer job. He is the start/finish line security person and will be helping with the call ups for the races. He's got a digital camera, so expect some really close images of the pros.

I'll see what I can grab for everyone, I think I may have enough pins already, but I'll try to get more.

martini

Cyburbian
Sweet! Have a good trip donk. Hoep the weather turns warm. All this week here its supposed to be in the high 70's. I'll try to push some of it out east for you!

martini

Cyburbian
I agree Irish. BIkes ARE fun. I've been riding my fixed gear lately, and it's just a hoot. Going down hills, its a tad scketchy, but otherwise fun. Climbs like a mother though! Plus I broke my mtb last weekend, so I've gotta send that back to the builder to have it fixed, so the fixxy is really the only bike I have that works now.. Everythings else is down.

JNL

Cyburbian
A while back someone asked for pics of clip-on cycle lanes on bridges - so I took these photos while in Motueka, Tasman district, South Island, NZ, last week:

801clip_on_01-thumb.jpg
801clip_on_02-thumb.jpg
801clip_on_03-thumb.jpg
801clip_on_04-thumb.jpg

And a sign on the bridge that had been carefully vandalised:

Last edited:

Rem

Cyburbian
JNL said:
And a sign on the bridge that had been carefully vandalised:
I guess they need such signs in NZ for the bungy jumpers - or is it less obvious to some that one shouldn't do this.