• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Bicycle Thread

natski

Cyburbian
I have to admit that for the past couple of weeks i have been doing a bit of biking at lunch time.... in preparation for a triathlon i want to do in November.

The tri is only small- like 250m swim, 10km bike, 2.5km run. The swim and the run are fine- but im having a stress at the biking bit.

I can ride 10km- the problem is riding it relatively fast.I dont own a racing bike- only a mountain bike- so i have been borrowing a friends mountain bike and put some road tyres on it.
Cause i am not the greatest on the bike- im finding it is taking me a while to get confident on the thing- especially with the road tyres.

Currently averaging 23km/h (so like 14miles/hr) for the 10 kms- the track that im currently doing isnt straight and has hills! The tri track will be long and straight- its where the rowing was held at the sydney olympics

Any suggestions to getting quicker and better? I really need help

donk

Cyburbian
Any suggestions to getting quicker and better? I really need help

Start by working on leg speed (spin), then transistion to pushing a gear. Think fast to go fast.

Double check bike fit, make sure you are getting good leg extension.

For tires, get slicks that are as narrow as possible (should be able to find 26x1 inch), you will not have enough "gear" and will spin them out on flats and downhills, but they will helpd alot.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I got this in my e-mail:

Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:25 AM
Subject: "Bicycles Are NOT Transportation." quote from Transportation Secretary Mary Peters

Last night on the PBS NewsHour with Jim Leher, DOT Secretary Mary Peters was interviewed by Gwen Ifill.

Peters, when asked about a possible gas tax increase, repeated President Bush's response - No, there can be no tax increase because Congress is wasting the money they already get. Peters cited "bicycle paths" as a prime example of the waste because bicycles are not a transportation use of the gas tax money. One wonders if this is not a direct attack on Minn. Congressman Jim Oberstar, whose district includes the fallen bridge. Oberstar is the biggest supporter of bicycling in congress.

Bush and Peters appear to be repeating the conservative mantra of starve the beast, to avoid raising any taxes for anything. While one can argue whether a particular government program is being run efficiently, when it comes to infrastructure, there are measurable useful lifetimes to facilities, and the cost of maintaining them in a state of good repair (SOGR) can be calculated. When funding levels are significantly below what's needed to maintain a SOGR, we get deferred maintenance, and eventually, bridges fall down and people die.

While I (sort of) expected this response from Bush, I was surprised to hear it from Secretary Peters. I thought she might have a better idea about the dismal state of underfunding the highway infrastructure maintenance, and the need to begin a pay as you go funding program for annual capital maintenance programs, instead of more floating of bond issues for these repeating annual costs.

I am shocked (sort of) that Peters is attacking bicycle transportation as just a waste of money. This administration is back in the 1950's Auto Uber Alles mentality - we have not crossed that bridge into the 21st Century yet. The dinosaurs of the auto industry are backed into a corner and fighting for their lives - but is attacking the little bicycles is the best they can do? Its also disappointing that the administration is attacking Jim Oberstar for his efforts to get the Minneapolis bridge repaired along with raising all the funding for transportation maintenance, by using Oberstar's support for bicycles as a weapon.

LINK TO AUDIO OF THE INTERVIEW:

Infrastructure
Transportation Secretary Mary Peters talks about infrastructure problems and travel initiatives.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/

There is not written transcript yet.
Wow !

Did you get this e-mail directly or was it forwarded to you or is this the first time you had seen it ?

jmac

Cyburbian
I got this in my e-mail:

Wow !

Did you get this e-mail directly or was it forwarded to you or is this the first time you had seen it ?
Thanks for posting this, JNA. Listening to this interview really made me angry.

The director of the American League of Bicyclists, Andy Clarke, has written a response to Peters. Bike Portland is covering this issue and the text of Clarke's response is posted there as well.

donk

Cyburbian
http://bicyclefilmfestival.com/

Just back from screening at the bicycle film festival. if it comes to your city go see it, the urban track riding is awesome as are some of the shorts and the documentaries on being a courier (pedal) and klunkerz.

The city was a sponsor and blocked off part of the street so that there could be a bicycle coral right in front of the theatre.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
So I am def. a newbie when it comes to bikes. I have a mtb that I got from Target last year after my old mtb was stolen. I use the bike to go to class and on some of the local bike trails on the weekend. I am wanting to increase how often I ride and am looking at a new bike. I ride most of my time on pavement, with a few jaunts off-road. I am thinking a hybrid bike is my best bet and I am looking to spend a between $200-$400 on this. Will I be able to find anything decent at this range, Cragislist has a few used hybrids for $100-$300, but I think I want to support a local bike shop. What do you all think?
Thank you!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Are recumbents for geeks?

My GF argues that recumbent bicycles are for geeks. Why? Because most of the people riding them are men -- I'll admit that I've never seen a woman on a recumbent -- who are usually of the "tubby bearded guy" genre.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
USA Today article -

HEADLINE: Big cities try to ease way for bicyclists
Officials look to Europe for ideas, want lanes separate from traffic, bike-share programs, more racks

HIGHLIGHT:
There's never been so much attention from cities collectively for cycling as a mode of transportation," says Loren Mooney, executive editor of Bicycling magazine. "Cities are recognizing that it is a realistic and inexpensive solution to a lot of different problems — to the traffic issues, to pollution issues, to personal health issues because instead of sitting in cars for an hour you have people out burning calories."

"I don't think encouraging cycling is going to reduce congestion or significantly change the transportation makeup of our cities," says Randal O'Toole, a senior fellow at the Cato Institute. "There really is very little evidence that any of (these efforts) are reducing the amount of driving. They're just making it more annoying to drivers."

Cities efforts mentioned in article:
Boston
New York
Chicago
San Francisco

Given those two quotes which do you believe in or side with ?

donk

Cyburbian
My GF argues that recumbent bicycles are for geeks. Why? Because most of the people riding them are men -- I'll admit that I've never seen a woman on a recumbent -- who are usually of the "tubby bearded guy" genre.

YES, recumbents are for geeks. You planning on getting one? ;)

They are the only form of bike that all cyclists mock.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
YES, recumbents are for geeks. You planning on getting one? ;)

They are the only form of bike that all cyclists mock.

I wouldn't be caught outside on one BUT I do have a recumbent exercise bike that serves me well (i.e. I don't fall on the floor when I pedal to exhaustion). But then, I'm not a cyclist, just a biker...vroom, vroom.

el Guapo

Capitalist
el Guapo's Bicycle Factory

I've taken about 30 to 40 bicycles down to the frame and rebuilt them over the last few years. Most of those bicycles were rebuilt for the Boy Scouts.

Here is a photo of my personal bike after a fresh rebuild. The frame is powdercoated and I love the rugged simplicity of the powder coat look on a lugged steel frame. It is a moderately priced way to build a dependable daily use bicycle.

YellowBike_045Z.jpg

I just got another frame back from the powdercoaters today. I am going to make it into a quasi-road bike. I'll post a photo when I get a chance.

Veloise

Cyburbian
From the opinion page of my hometown paper:
http://www.buffalonews.com/149/story/210784.html

Note: link expires in 14 days

Basically the woman insists that it would be safer to ride facing traffic after almost getting knocked off the road by an unsafe driver.

Any thoughts?
Short answer: she's thinking like a pedestrian. (What about right-turners exiting driveways? Her entire premise is about fear. "near-fatal...struggling...speeding monster...totally vulnerable...vicious...bike began to swerve...nearly fainted..." Was this a public street or an amusement park?
"I live in an area that hosts a beautiful bike path, but I am single and don’t have someone available to accompany me whenever my erratic schedule permits riding time." Huh??? Generally that's not an issue unless your only ride is a tandem.)

Long answer: she needs Road I bicycle driver education. Might be a certified instructor right there in greater Buffalo. www.bikeleague.org could point her the right way.

[I'm on that instructor list]

Last edited:

zman

Cyburbian
Copper Triangle Alpine Cycling Classic

My training and love for hills will be put to the test this summer.
It is time to get back into the saddle and ride.
I ordered some cycling stuff (jersey and shorts) and will be taking my road bike in for a tune this weekend.

The training begins in winter, and will build up to this event!

zman

Cyburbian
Anyone have anything to say about Bike Direct.com?

I was browsing their site upon a reference from another cyclist and it seems to be a good site for a basic, inexpensive road bike, if I am looking to upgrade sometime this year.
I'd be looking for a good road bike, modern but I am not into labels or bling, just something nice, comfortable and without suicide gears.

Anyone dealt with these guys?

zman

Cyburbian
MAN calculates Miles per Gallon on Bicycle.
http://1world2wheels.org/blog/cyclist-calculates-mpg-on-a-bike

...there are 31,000 Calories in every gallon of gasoline (That’s the same Calorie that weightlifters flock to and dieters avoid—A Calorie is just a unit of energy equal to the amount of energy needed to heat a Liter of water by 1 degree Celsius). That’s as much energy as is in two weeks of food, and though I wasn’t planning to drink gasoline, a quick calculation led me to believe that I would be able to ride between 500 and 1000 miles on that 31,000 calories.

Interesting article that shows what one can get on a bicycle out of the energy it takes for a car to use one gallon of gas.

el Guapo

Capitalist
This madcap, thoughtful, techno-wiz cyclist and humanitarian passed away last night.

http://sheldonbrown.com/

I used to order parts from Harris Cyclery just to know that some of my bike money went in his general direction. I truly will miss his take on things. What a guy.

Rest in Peace Sheldon Brown

Now that Ken Keifer and Sheldon are gone who is left?:-(

Veloise

Cyburbian
Forester is not nearly as cuddly.
He thinks that he is. (Or he did back in the late 70's.

How about Jobst Brandt? One of the Sheldon tribute threads (on rec.bicycles) has diverted into How Jobst Acts Like A Jerk. Pretty entertaining.

How about Phyllis Harmon?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From The Louisville Courier-Journal - OpEd by Neil R. Peirce -

Headline: Louisville is among cities making 2008 the year of the bicycle
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080228/OPINION04/802280349/1054/OPINION

:-o Photo of Miss Gulch (Wizard of Oz) as an icon for bicycling ? :-o

And in the long run, that's what the worldwide and U.S. bike reforms will have to achieve -- a world of safe cycling for people of all ages, both sexes, all skill levels. If we get there, you can mark 2008 as a big year on the route.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This week I joined a generic Spinning® class to help get me ready for when the warm weather arrives. Two sessions in and no ill effects... yet.

Veloise

Cyburbian
From The Louisville Courier-Journal - OpEd by Neil R. Peirce -

Headline: Louisville is among cities making 2008 the year of the bicycle
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080228/OPINION04/802280349/1054/OPINION

:-o Photo of Miss Gulch (Wizard of Oz) as an icon for bicycling ? :-o
Trek and its ilk need to work on product placement efforts. The last film to successfully showcase a two-wheeler was Brainstorm (some reviews panned it).

If memory serves, Louisville was the site of a tragic "inattentive motorist" cyclist fatality last year. (Neon-clad traffic-experienced rider, crossing a bridge.) This drew much attention from my bicycle forums due to the city's "bicycle-friendly" designation.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Sheldon Brown April 1 tribute

Every year this legendary wrench and humorist would come up with some wacky faux technology, illustrate it, and post to rec.bicycles.misc *.* . A few weeks back I messaged Harris Cyclery asking them if there might be one last final ShelBroCo item waiting...

Today someone created an identity and posted a link to someone very similar to the kinds of junque that the living Sheldon would satirize...right down to a parody of his sigline. (No, it wasn't moi.)

Sheldon "RIP" Brown

and then changed it to

Sheldon "dirtbiker" Brown

Reviews are mixed. I think Sheldon would have loved it.

jmac

Cyburbian
I feel the need to go on a bike maintenance binge this weekend. Why don't I do it in the winter when the weather is nasty? :r:

Does anyone have any springtime bike projects going on? I'm thinking about getting an Xtracycle...

zman

Cyburbian
After getting over 100 miles in during February (yes, even in Colorado, on the road). I really need to get back in the Saddle as weather and illness only netted me 10 miles for March.

That is my biggest bike project these days.

jmac

Cyburbian
After getting over 100 miles in during February (yes, even in Colorado, on the road). I really need to get back in the Saddle as weather and illness only netted me 10 miles for March.

That is my biggest bike project these days.
Ok, you got me on that one too. I've been doing some short city rides to get groceries, go to the brewery, etc., but have only been on one mountain bike ride and no road rides this year. Yikes.

Did you end up ordering a new bike, zman?

zman

Cyburbian
Did you end up ordering a new bike, zman?

I am saving up some bread and will hopefully get a cheaper one at the end of the season. The wife just got a raise, so that should help. Right now it is the old Performance road bike I got from free from my friend's dad. It does really well and is sturdy-- it kind of makes me wonder whether I need a new bike or not.

Like with the garden thread... and the beer thread... I will have to take a photo to post.

jmac

Cyburbian
I am saving up some bread and will hopefully get a cheaper one at the end of the season. The wife just got a raise, so that should help. Right now it is the old Performance road bike I got from free from my friend's dad. It does really well and is sturdy-- it kind of makes me wonder whether I need a new bike or not.
I understand... I have a five year old Cannondale roadie, but I always seem to ride the older steel road bikes that I picked up at yard sales (mid-80's Panasonic or late 80s Specialized). I started riding them because I was worried about the Cannondale getting stolen if I had to lock it somewhere. Now I find them to be much more comfortable and satisfyingly curmudgeonly. :-D

I've heard about some bad experiences with that online retailer you mentioned a few pages back, though another friend bought a mountain bike from them and likes it.
Like with the garden thread... and the beer thread... I will have to take a photo to post.
Those are pretty much the only threads I post in. Can't wait. ;-)

Veloise

Cyburbian
RAGBRAI discussion here

Iowa is a rolling hills state. Some stretches (approaching/leaving rivers) are hillier. Nothing like Route 1 in California or leaving the Bitterroot Valley in Montana.

Riders have all day to finish the route, so there's no big rush. And it's kindof pointless to ride at 18-20 mph just to get into the next town to take a hot shower. Most of the fun happens along the rolling party of the route.

The last two years, a certain Texas-based TdF multi-time winner showed up and rode at least a couple of days. I would love to get him on the front of my Counterpoint (google it). The color yellow is appropriate attire in all situations on RAGBRAI.

Bring sunscreen. Flip-flops for apres. Postcard stamps (remember stamps?). Earplugs. You likely won't need an alarm clock. And don't camp near the Kybos.

[veteran of several decades of weekend and week-long bicycle tours]

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I feel the need to go on a bike maintenance binge this weekend. Why don't I do it in the winter when the weather is nasty? :r:

Does anyone have any springtime bike projects going on? I'm thinking about getting an Xtracycle...

My answer to why I don't do more maintenance in winter is that the garage isn't heated. Howevver, the winter rig has needed cleaning a couple of times and I did swap the studs for slicks about a month ago (prematurely, I might add).

My big springtime project is getting a proper road bike so my wife and I can take longer road rides togther. I know it's coming without pedals, so I've already gone ahead and gotten clipless pedals and mounted them on the winter rig for practice/falling over on a cheap old bike instead of the expensve new one.

I'd love an Xtracycle. A local friend is also a welder and has an interest in cargo bikes, so we've been talking about a two-frames-into one cargo bike stretch project.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian

I was looking at said online retailer the other day and they have a flip/flop fixed/free roadie for something like $359. But with three bikes, a fourth on the way and two unicycles, the garage is getting crowded. I just haven't figured out which bike to thin from the stable. There's the Montgomery-Ward three speed converted to fixie (chrome fenders and MTB rims laced to track hubs!), the 10-year old Trek 930 with slicks and fenders, or the even older (probably '80's) Specialized Rockhopper with a freewheeling single speed. A true roadie is on the way.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
Panniers or Messenger Bag

I've been commuting by bike a few days a week lately. I'm using a Jansport messenger bag which in theory should be fine for carrying what I need: work clothes, shoes, and lunch. What I'm actually finding is that the damn thing ends up swinging around eventually and throws me off center, which is uncool when I'm trying to negotiate traffic and avoid the cages.

I'm considering getting a rack and panniers. Do they affect the handling of the bike in any way? i.e. if I got out of the saddle to ride uphill, would the bike feel different? Am I better off just getting a higher-quality messenger bag with a strap across the chest?

On a related note, I've got platform pedals on the bike now but also have an extra set of SPD mountain pedals lying around. I think I may look into getting a set of mountain cycling shoes and going clipless. I'm so used to the Look clipless pedals on my road bike and they really spoil you - it's like having double the power output vs platforms.

donk

Cyburbian
a rack and panniers does change the way your bike handles, they seem to make mine more sluggish and feel weird when I rock the bike when accelerating. I mostly ride with a courier bag (timbuk2) and it usually fine, the chest strap makes all the difference. My only comment is that I wish it had some padding where it rests on my back. You may also want to consider a a good courier knapsack.

http://www.chromebags.com/products/bags/rolltop/
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/backpacks/pro-series-backpack

zman

Cyburbian
How short is your chest strap on the messenger bag? I have to shorten mine a bit when I ride my bike in and that helps a lot. When I walk to work, I lengthen it.

Never had panniers, but will get some if i realize my dream or biking around Colorado in a big loop. :)

donk

Cyburbian
the other trick is to shorten the strap that holds the bag as short as possible, that way the bag sits higher and moves less.

when I use the bag when not riding, I don't use the chest strap.

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
I keep the strap as short as it can possibly be while riding. I ride with the bag sitting pretty high on my back. To do this, I end up having to put the bag on, pull hard on the strap, and tie the extra slack into a knot. It still swings around but I find that the amount of swinging depends on how I pack the bag. If I put the heaviest objects on the left side of the bag, it doesn't swing to the right quite as bad.

And about that panniers and handling: that's what I was afraid of. It looks like a messenger bag with a chest strap will be best.

jmac

Cyburbian
Panniers are definitely nice if you need to haul a lot of heavier stuff, but they definitely affect the handling of my bike when it is loaded down. I've learned to just downshift and spin up the hills slowly, rather than getting out of the saddle and grinding up the hills. The side-to-side motion is pretty disconcerting if you do that.

My messenger bag seems to work well for most of my hauling needs. I agree that it seems to work best if you shorten the shoulder strap to carry the load higher on your back, and tighten up the chest strap.

MacheteJames

Cyburbian
I picked up a Chrome messenger bag over the weekend and its 1000% better than what I was using before. It's really secure, doesn't move at all, and carries more stuff. I think this thing could survive a nuclear war - it's so much better.

kristydactyl

I pity all of the messenger bag folks riding around with 24packs of beer over one shoulder. Combine the scoliosis with the knee problems later in life from riding that sweet fixed gear and you've got one generation of hipsters needing some serious universal health care.

And yes, i have both a fixed gear (Foxfire is her name) and a nice messenger bag. I gave up the messenger bag (because one side of my back was starting to look like He-Man) but the fixed gear is just too precious.