• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Bicycle Thread

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
All right, spring is less than 3 months away and it's time to fire up the old bike thread again.

What do you do in the off-season? Do you have an off-season?

For myself, I organize a little indoor cycling group- we all bring our bikes and stationary trainers down to a common space (usually a closed restaurant or the like) and put a training video on the projector and ride to it once a week. I also have been working to get stationary bike racing off the ground-short little sprint races that anybody can do, with musical and light show accompaniment and BEER, of course.

Then there's fatbikes. I want one, but do not have the dough.

Finally, winter commuting. I drive this time of year, but start up again on 3/1, sooner if the weather is good enough.

And if that isn't enough, what do we all think about cut-rate online retailers like bikesdirect.com? If there isn't anything else bike-related to talk about I'm sure we could fight about that...

wahday

Cyburbian
Winter is not an obstacle here. I am good to ride down to 20F and usually get in a long ride every weekend. It's my therapy. Plus the cold tends to keep others off the trail.

I commute all year long but it's only about 3 miles so not a huge commitment.

I have done some bikepacking but not on a fatbike. Though I was admiring a Pugsley on my lunch break as I had to run to the bike store. Those are some fat a$$ tires! Some of my bikepacking excursions are depicted here: highaltitudehomestead.blogspot.com

Actually bikepacking is one of my latest favorite activities/obsessions and over the holidays I got a new bike (salsa el mariachi) that is especially well suited for adventure touring. I'm pumped!

The interwebs bike sales are a hard one. Sometimes the savings are significant which is hard to pass up. But I love to support my lbs because there is no substitute for standing there and discussing an issue/problem with a real tech. Then there are companies like Airborne that are putting out great products but only sell online. This really gives them the edge to be a competitive startup. I don't know if I would ever buy from bikesdirect but I have purchased plenty of stuff from places like Nashbar and Niagara.

I have slowly converted to all mtn bikes except for the Trek 560 I am looking to sell. That leaves the El Mar, Klein Attitude (26"), and Raleigh XXIX singlespeed.

I heart bikes

jsk1983

Cyburbian
All right, spring is less than 3 months away and it's time to fire up the old bike thread again.

What do you do in the off-season? Do you have an off-season?

For myself, I organize a little indoor cycling group- we all bring our bikes and stationary trainers down to a common space (usually a closed restaurant or the like) and put a training video on the projector and ride to it once a week. I also have been working to get stationary bike racing off the ground-short little sprint races that anybody can do, with musical and light show accompaniment and BEER, of course.

Then there's fatbikes. I want one, but do not have the dough.

Finally, winter commuting. I drive this time of year, but start up again on 3/1, sooner if the weather is good enough.

And if that isn't enough, what do we all think about cut-rate online retailers like bikesdirect.com? If there isn't anything else bike-related to talk about I'm sure we could fight about that...
I still ride in the winter, just not as much or as far. I do a lot of group rides and they pretty much all involve either bars or breweries. One this Sunday is probably only 5 miles one way though some in the nicer weather can be upwards of 100 miles RT, though that is a little farther than I'm interested in in a day, though I have done a few centuries.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
The interwebs bike sales are a hard one. Sometimes the savings are significant which is hard to pass up. But I love to support my lbs because there is no substitute for standing there and discussing an issue/problem with a real tech. Then there are companies like Airborne that are putting out great products but only sell online. This really gives them the edge to be a competitive startup. I don't know if I would ever buy from bikesdirect but I have purchased plenty of stuff from places like Nashbar and Niagara.
I've been wanting a fatbike for some time, and while I wouldn't ever begrudge Surly the chance to make back the money they likely invested in their creation, I feel that Pugsleys are seriously overpriced for what they are at this point. Then BD went ahead and rolled out a bunch of fatbikes at several price points that really could expand the popularity of fatbiking as a whole.

My LBS experiences have been everything from pretty good to indifferent to patronizing to incompetent. I still buy my clothes, tubes, and other high-margin stuff locally, but since I don't really need LBS service to keep my bikes running, I buy the actual bikes wherever I can get the best deal (usually used off Craigslist or eBay) and maintain them myself.

kimberg

Living Room

Just had hip surgery so have been putting in the miles on a trainer in my living room. Helps get the biking fix. Also now have a 50 mile commute in mtns so probably won't be commuting anytime soon, but will start getting in long lunch rides (thanks to late Planning Commission / City Council meetings) as soon as I'm cleared by the doc. (Well, and then the other hip has surgery, but you know, the living room has kept me and will continue to keep me sane.)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
[ot] kimberg: You registered on Cyburbia in May 2011 and made your first two posts today? Wow, that's willpower. [/ot]

Doohickie

Cyburbian
How did this escape me?

Good thread. Look for a lot of pollution from me. ;)

Let's start with The Collection

1966 Raleigh DL-1 3-speed
11022345943_25d005bc45_c.jpg
DL-1 by doohickie@ymail.com, on Flickr

1983 Raleigh Super Course 12-speed

1983 Raleigh Marathon (I had a derailleur incident and now it has a 2-speed kickback hub)

1994 Nishiki Sport XRS (my commuter)
13635028024_0dc22c585a_c.jpg
Commuter Bike by doohickie@ymail.com, on Flickr

2009 Schwinn Cutter (fixed gear bike)
14488197675_043f8758ac_c.jpg
White tires by doohickie@ymail.com, on Flickr

wahday

Cyburbian
Wow! Those are some really nice rides, Doohickie! I dig the bars on that Marathon, too. I just switched to some Jones bars on my mountain bike which are similar to the older cruiser style, but burlier. Meant to provide a wide range of hand positions for long riding and touring.

I own a few bikes. Here are two of them:

2012 Salsa El Mariachi on a recent bikepacking trip. This is the one that sports to Jones bar
14516523022_a36d5b1bfa_z.jpg

2003 Klein Attitude I converted to a rigid 69/96er. This bike is a blast to ride and is super light/fast. Rides kind of like a big wheel with that fat 29er up front.
14470184107_c5c90d4f5f_z.jpg[url=https://flic.kr/p/o3FtAT]

I am currently building up a Raleigh XXIX Singlespeed. Bought the original from a friend who rode it into oblivion. Stripped it down to essentially everything but the frame, cranks and bottom bracket. Its looking pretty sharp! The rims have a 35mm interior width so I am gearing up to try some big volume tires on there for a “fatbike lite” feel. The rims will accept a Surly Knard 3.0 tire (also called 29er-plus), but I don’t think the frame is wide enough. We shall see…

I also have a 1984 Trek 560 Series road bike that was rebuilt using some nice parts (Ultegra DR and brakeset, Campy cranks, etc.) It needs a little work though.

DVD

Cyburbian

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I remember my father had that very bike -same colors even!
You could get it in any color you like, as long as it's black.

USAToday article on the backlash of bikelanes in cities:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/14/bike-lane-backlash/12563877/

It's getting tiresome but its real and I've heard the same rhetoric here.
We've got a lot of support in Fort Worth right now, all the way to the top. Here's a pic of Mayor Betsy Price and me on a recent ride.

One of the riding groups I ride with, the Night Riders, recently celebrated our 500th ride (basically twice a week, Sunday and Wednesday, for 5 years). The mayor even issued a proclamation to acknowledge it. We had almost 200 riders on the celebratory ride.

A lot of the roads that are being redone include bike infrastructure/complete streets features. Main Street south of downtown will be re-done next year on a complete streets model. The large vacant buildings in the area are starting to show signs of activity - an ice cream shop opening up here, a tavern there, some lofts, etc. It's gonna be neat as it gathers momentum, and the bike infrastructure is a big part of that I think. People are pro-bicycle because it's good for business.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vancity

Cyburbian
Good thread. Look for a lot of pollution from me. ;)

Let's start with The Collection

1966 Raleigh DL-1 3-speed
11022345943_25d005bc45_c.jpg
Oh my god. I am crazy for vintage bikes. :-$ Love the 66 DL-1. How heavy is it? And how heavy is the super course in comparison?

I have a 1974 Raleigh Superbe. In awesome condition with original everything.. even the tires8-!

I have a tough time lugging it around though... I'm wanting something lighter but I just can't give it up.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Oh my god. I am crazy for vintage bikes. :-$ Love the 66 DL-1. How heavy is it? And how heavy is the super course in comparison?

I have a 1974 Raleigh Superbe. In awesome condition with original everything.. even the tires8-!

I have a tough time lugging it around though... I'm wanting something lighter but I just can't give it up.
I think I had a Superbe when I was a kid.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The DL-1 weighs just about 50 lb. The Super Course is a little more than half that.

Your Suberbe is..... superb.

The One

Cyburbian
Awe Man.......

I really miss my mountain bike......(was stolen several months ago)
:(

wahday

Cyburbian

I just noticed - does that thing have a drum brake up front? Or maybe that is for the light (as I now see the caliper brakes) Pretty cool...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
While watching a documentary the other night, I noticed someone riding a bike that had a side car and a separate trailer. A side car! I didn't even know such thing existed.

wahday

Cyburbian
While watching a documentary the other night, I noticed someone riding a bike that had a side car and a separate trailer. A side car! I didn't even know such thing existed.
Indeed - this person has a whole website devoted to them! http://bicyclemechanic.blogspot.com/2013/01/bicycle-sidecars.html

There is also a whole sub culture of camper trailers for bicycles. This tradition goes back quite a ways as I saw an old postcard of a guy riding cross country in the 1920s. He slept in a small trailer he hauled the whole way. He funded the trip as he went in part by selling postcards of his crazy adventure.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So the results are in: cycling is way up.

This is purely anecdotal, but I just got back from a road trip vacation and we saw a lot more cyclists than in similar trips in the past. Large groups of roadies, individual commuters, smaller packs of heavy tourers. When we were at the National Mall in DC, I spoke to a pair of cyclists who told me they'd ridden to Washington from Pittsburgh.

This isn't a small increase either. There are several times the cyclists out their than there've been in recent years.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
So the results are in: cycling is way up.

This is purely anecdotal, but I just got back from a road trip vacation and we saw a lot more cyclists than in similar trips in the past. Large groups of roadies, individual commuters, smaller packs of heavy tourers. When we were at the National Mall in DC, I spoke to a pair of cyclists who told me they'd ridden to Washington from Pittsburgh.

This isn't a small increase either. There are several times the cyclists out their than there've been in recent years.
It certainly seems like cycling is up down here in SE Texas too, most Saturdays I see a decent number of cyclists even in my auto-dominant suburban community.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My family and I will be moving (finally) to a new-to-us house 1.5 miles from City Hall. This will be excellent because I can start riding to work again after a 4+ year hiatus (ie 4 yrs of my job not in biking distance).

I have an old 1996 Trek 970 I got when I graduated high school, but want something different - a crusier/commuter instead of the 970.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Cyburbian
1.5 miles is hardly worth riding (at least if you think of your commute as a part of your workout/exercise routine). Nevertheless, a nice Civia would be a perfect tool for the job.

In either case, hang onto the Trek as a backup bike and for weekend rides. You won't regret it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
1.5 miles is hardly worth riding (at least if you think of your commute as a part of your workout/exercise routine). Nevertheless, a nice Civia would be a perfect tool for the job.

In either case, hang onto the Trek as a backup bike and for weekend rides. You won't regret it.
Yeah, that's what I'm looking for and I do intend to make it part of my exercise routine, plus next March when the lease is up on my car, we're going to try being a one car household again and I'd like to be able to get to/from work as quickly as possible.

I may not even buy new, because I know I can get used (and "vintage" if possible) very easily. Plus, I can fix/tune-up/modify bikes easily because I was bike mechanic at the local bike shop in high school.

I'd like to find a 70s Schwinn Collegiate or Racer.

And I will never get rid of the 970. High end chromoly frames are awesome. I never warmed to aluminum..too rigid of a ride. Actually, I wish I hadn't sold my 1994 Trek 820, which was my first steps into quality mountain bikes.

Last edited:

Vancity

Cyburbian
I just noticed - does that thing have a drum brake up front? Or maybe that is for the light (as I now see the caliper brakes) Pretty cool...

Yup, its for the lights! Front and rear. Here is a better photo. I've been out riding it a lot lately, day and night... the lights work great. Aside from being 40lbs, its the perfect machine :h:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
That's a great bike, Van.

And the weight is a good thing. It makes one a stronger cyclist....weight resistance and all.

It's like when I ride by myself after many rides of pulling two my boys in the Chariot or Burley.

Vancity

Cyburbian
That's a great bike, Van.

And the weight is a good thing. It makes one a stronger cyclist....weight resistance and all.

It's like when I ride by myself after many rides of pulling two my boys in the Chariot or Burley.
Indeed, this is true. I beat a 21 speed mountain bike up a steep hill the other day, that felt pretty good.

Its just lifting my bike up onto bus bike racks... well, its an embarrassment :-$ I can't do it.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
After two martinis I'm going to be self-indulgent.

Here are my bikes. All of them.

My 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist. 50 lb. of British 3-speed greatness bought at a garage sale price
11022345943_25d005bc45_z.jpg

My 1983 Raleigh Marathon pulled out of a dumpster, wrecked, and resurrected as a townie bike with a 2-speed kickback hub
14856815965_cbc6bf38d9_z.jpg
Marathon by doohickie@ymail.com, on Flickr

My 1983 Raleigh Supercourse, traded straight-up for a bike I bought at a pawn shop for $50
14856851665_866da5b0fc_z.jpg
Super Course by doohickie@ymail.com, on Flickr

My 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS, bought when it was 14 years old for $100... and it still had the store price tag on it. A basic hybrid heavily modified for commuting duty
13635028024_0dc22c585a_z.jpg
Commuter Bike by doohickie@ymail.com, on Flickr

And the Schwinn Cutter fixed gear bike my wife bought me for Christmas in 2009
14670130650_e04575f8e0_z.jpg
Cutter by doohickie@ymail.com, on Flickr

EDIT: Ha! After posting that, I realized I posted several of those pics a page back in this thread.

Damn martinis.

Vancity

Cyburbian
Here are my bikes. All of them.

My 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist. 50 lb. of British 3-speed greatness bought at a garage sale price

My 1983 Raleigh Marathon pulled out of a dumpster, wrecked, and resurrected as a townie bike with a 2-speed kickback hub

My 1983 Raleigh Supercourse, traded straight-up for a bike I bought at a pawn shop for $50

My 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS, bought when it was 14 years old for $100... and it still had the store price tag on it. A basic hybrid heavily modified for commuting

And the Schwinn Cutter fixed gear bike my wife bought me for Christmas in 2009

EDIT: Ha! After posting that, I realized I posted several of those pics a page back in this thread.

Damn martinis.
*googly eyes*

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Its just lifting my bike up onto bus bike racks... well, its an embarrassment :-$ I can't do it.
It's time to start a regime of curls and squats while holding the bike. :D

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Hey, Doohickie is that a leather saddle on the commuter bike? Do you like leather saddles?

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Hey, Doohickie is that a leather saddle on the commuter bike? Do you like leather saddles?
Yep. I have Brooks saddles on all my bikes. A bit of an investment. I got all but one of them used, and the one I got new was on sale, so I get good deals. At this point I wouldn't want anything else. I rarely wear bike shorts and the Brooks saddles are comfy.

Vancity

Cyburbian
Yep. I have Brooks saddles on all my bikes. A bit of an investment. I got all but one of them used, and the one I got new was on sale, so I get good deals. At this point I wouldn't want anything else. I rarely wear bike shorts and the Brooks saddles are comfy.
I'm dying for one of these. I've hinted at it for my upcoming birthday... but I know the male-counterpart just doesn't have that kind of money lying around... sigh, someday!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Suggestions: Check local Craigslist to see if you can find a used one. Also, register over at bikeforums.net and look through the Classified sections for Brooks saddles the people are selling (they come up once in a while).

wahday

Cyburbian
I second Craigslist as a source for Brooks saddles. Better than eBay if buying used as you can inspect before purchase. I see them come up fairly often around here. I have never shelled out the dough for one, but I covet them on a regular basis. For long hours in the saddle, Brooks is the one!

Another great leather saddle is Selle Anatomica. The last two years they have had a sale around the new year where every saddle they have is $99. That may still sound like a lot, but not for leather! People really love the SAs as much as Brooks. Very finely made.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Seems like every bike I've seen around here has had a replacement saddle of faux leather and giant padding. The leather saddles I have had in the past have been among the most comfortable I have ever known

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Finally started riding my bike to work again yesterday. It's so nice. I feel stupid driving 1.5 miles.

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Nice!

If my commute was that short, I'd never drive.
Yep. An advantage of working for and living in this small city.

And when time is not important, I may start walking the "commute" as well.

wahday

Cyburbian
My commute is killing me! Actually, like Gedunker, its only 1.5 to 2 miles and there is little in this world I like to do more than ride my bike. BUT, I often have meetings to attend or other places to be in the course of the day that require a car. Before I changed positions, I rode every day, but now I ride less often than I drive. Its killing me. I really like the way the ride wakes me up and I often go home for lunch which, if I ride, is very rejuvenating and makes for a productive afternoon. The other challenge is that even if I ride to meetings, I live in a HOT place and its hard to walk into an air conditioned building and not sweat notably. I keep an extra pair of shoes at the office and typically take my shirt in my bag and change once I have cooled down. But this doesn't work so well at other peoples' offices.

Veloise

Cyburbian
#fergusoned

"The Los Angeles County District Attorney just released its report on the death of Milton Olin, Jr., who was killed by L.A. Sheriff’s Deputy Andrew Wood. Olin was riding his bike in a bike lane on Mulholland Drive when Deputy Wood, instead of following the curve of the road, drove straight into the bike lane and spattered Olin all over the pavement."

http://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/license-to-kill/

Deputy Who Hit Biking Napster Exec While Driving Distracted Won't Face Charges

http://laist.com/2014/08/27/da_wont_charge_deputy_who_hit_napst.php

Rygor

Cyburbian
I just bought a 2008 Kona Coilair freeride full suspension as my regular trail/bike park/downhill rig. Now that I live in Colorado I have to get serious. :h:

Not sure whether to sell or keep my old 1998 Schwinn Moab hardtail x-country bike. It's got chro-moly tubing, an old Rock Shox Judy T2 fork, and (almost) brand new tires on her. It's endured a lot of miles, crashes, and dirt but doesn't look or ride too bad for a 16 year old mountain bike. It's pretty light, too, which is good if I want to do just pure cross country riding. If I sell it I worry I might regret it. Lots of nostalgia there.

I have an almost brand new cruiser bike, too. Bought it new from Tempe Cycles to ride with my wife around the neighborhood (which we did often) or around the lake. Thing is, it was a lot flatter in AZ than here so not sure if I want to lug around a heavy single-speed cruiser bike about town! But it's so comfy to sit on and looks so cool decked out in "Murder Black".

wahday

Cyburbian
I agree about having a backup - keep the Moab. I have three mtn bikes and one road bike. At any given time at least one is undergoing repair or upgrades but I've got to ride! I like that Kona - Colorado awaits! If u make it down to NM let me know. We have some nice riding this way as well..