• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Bicycle Thread

donk

Cyburbian
Just a quick update from Road Worlds

Weather isw awesome 25 degrees and sunny.

Course great, took a quick drive around most of it today after the racing.

VIP passes are OK. I only have access to the CCA pit, but got some great photos of the australian who was 2nd, bobby jullich and a few others today. the good news is that one of my buddy is a bigger geek then me and has a full digital SLR setup and an all access pass, so I'll have some great images next week.

I'll post images when i get back.

Last edited:

JNL

Cyburbian
Rem said:
I guess they need such signs in NZ for the bungy jumpers - or is it less obvious to some that one shouldn't do this.

Ha ha. I'm guessing people swim in the river in summer and jump from the bridge into the river but it must be dangerous because of rocks or something.

I'll try to post larger pictures of the clip-on cycle lane next week. Something is screwy with the photo settings.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Nice bicycle lane... and a good thing is that's properly divided from cars..

One doubt... You people drive on the left? (I think on the first pic you can see a pickup truck on the "wrong" side of the road)

JNL

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
You people drive on the left? (I think on the first pic you can see a pickup truck on the "wrong" side of the road)

We do drive on the left - check this link for a bigger version of the pic to check which side the ute is on:

http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7030&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=500

The bridge is really narrow - I drove over it and met an articulated truck coming the other way. I had to slow almost to a stop and pulled over as far as I could, then prayed!!! Well not really, seeing as I'm not the praying type but I was pretty scared. After that I could definitely understand why they had to add a separate cycle-lane!

donk

Cyburbian
Back from another day at the worlds. It was a dark day for Canada at the event. It started with our big medal hopeful being declared unfit to race due to a high hemocrit level and continued into the JR mens race when one of the guys crashed and ended up in the hospital with broken facial bones and a really bad concussion.

My kid finished 108 /110 finishers almost 15 minutes back.

if anyone wants images or mpeg PM me and I'll send them.

I got a few really good ones of the US mens team warming up today.

On the schwag thing, I may have some stuff for people, PM to arrange delivery.

Tomorrow the pro mens race.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Hey! I went on a midnight-full moon poker run with the bicycle club, my son and one of our local Eagle Scouts. In our town of 80K we had about 100 riders participate and 10 support people. They had a huge pile of schwag and the LBS was great as always. I won a Cat Eye Daylites II solo 10 Watt light worth $60. Got a sweat shirt and a t-shirt for $16 entry fee and had a bunch of food. Did I mention I rode my bicycle around town in the dark with a bunch of LED's flashing and had a great time. I love this cycling stuff.

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:
It started with our big medal hopeful being declared unfit to race due to a high hemocrit level

On the schwag thing, I may have some stuff for people, PM to arrange delivery.

I'll take some of that EPO you guys are dishing out.

Dude, you need to get better doctors. You're allowed 50% hemocrit level, the body only puts out about 45% so you got some play in there, you just gotta get it right.

The Irish One

Today on a ride up a nice long hill I noticed a local bike store had their name spray painted in the bike lane. It said Visit Grand Ave bikes.... so on and so forth. While it looks like shit, I couldn't help but be impressed by the marketing tactic. This road is really popular amongst club riders and individuals and isn't exactly in the city proper. I think if it was done in a professional and legal way, it could be good for business. Then again it could muck up all the nice bike lanes and kill the non commercial atmosphere of the road.

Jeff

Cyburbian
How bout Bettini trying to bribe his way to a world championship?

Just like a dego. Sorry Degos ... hey wait a minute. I'm a ....

donk

Cyburbian
Mike D posted
You're allowed 50% hemocrit level,

Women are only allowed 47 max. It was not our Dr, it was probably here crazy coach. We find out by the end of the week from the urine samples. From what i understand some epo's leave a trace in urine and some don't.

You should have seen the Italian train pull in Victor Pena and the Dutch rider, 3 minutes in about 20 km, it was impressive. I have an mpeg of it.

Did not hear the bettini thing, but that is how it is done. ;) Saw a lot of unhappy italians on the streets though.

Mike Barry's 7th was awesome.

Images to come shortly.

On the schwag thing, because of where we were standing, missed most of the give aways. I do have a Dutch Team bottle filled with mystery orange powder. (Dumpster diving after the event).

Here are some images

173fan1.jpg

173espoir.jpg

173riders_and_screen.jpg

I have a tonne more, including 3 rolls of film to be developed and mpegs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: OT

The Irish One said:
Mike, What inspired that great avatar and caption?

I have no idea...first one I came across.

Don't worry 'bout CDs dude. I got more than I can even handle right now, my FTP Client has been running non-stop for a month now. I got spindles and spindles of .shn and .flac that still need to be converted.

I'm thinking of getting a Maxtor 200 gb external hard drive and setting up my PC as a server.

Totally geeky.

Last edited:

donk

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
OK great we got the pictures covered, now back to my wheels.

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SSC .... for Shimano. You can keep the Pro Race tires that are on them, I got 10 pairs in the garage.

As requested, here are a pair for you.

173wheels.JPG

As taken in the technical check zone for the ITT. I think they where Pena's extra set.

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:
As requested, here are a pair for you.

173wheels.JPG

As taken in the technical check zone for the ITT. I think they where Pena's extra set.

Don't they all ride Hed wheels for TT?

Or is that just a USPS thing?

Questions that Lance didn't get asked on the Today
show this morning:

1. Lance, why do you think its acceptable to wear
white athletic socks with brown dress shoes and pants
that are too short?

2. How'd you do at Worlds?

3. In your new book you say that your philosophy is
'seize the day.' Just what did you seize that made
Kristen leave you?

4. Do you make Victor Hugo Pena wear a maid uniform
on the Team Bus just to make sure he (and the rest of
the team) knows his place?

donk

Cyburbian
I only thought they were pena's set, because he was in and around the ITT check in at that time, they could have been wholberg's or a few others who started then. There where so many stars around I was having a hard time not being a total fan boy. It was chaos in pit row and people gave you funny looks for taking pictures. This was the one day my pass was good for the team area.

Reviewing my picture of ekimov, he is riding Bontrager labelled wheels.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Derailleur to Buy?

Okay, people, I need some advice. I bought a new, somewhat inexpensive bike with the intention of upgrading the gruppo over time as I could afford it (my income does not permit the intial purchase of even medium quality, let alone the best). The first thing that has to go is the crappy Shimano Alivio rear derailleur. I would like to get a new one, but not break the bank. Can you all recommend a good rear derailleur in the US $30-$75 range? I want one that shifts smoothly and accurately, with good tension on my long recumbent chain. I would be willing also to purchase a used one if it works and the price is right; do you all know of mail-order or web-based sources of these? I thank you, my rolling Barcalounger thanks you.

donk

Cyburbian
If it is not broken, don't worry about it. New cables and housing can do wonders in making shifting better. If it is broken, go for Deore, works OK and is cheaper then XT or XTR.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The Irish One said:
My sister just moved to San Francisco, so I'll be riding up there before X-mas. I'm pumped.

You better be...look at the map: it's uphill all the way.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Fillmore Street's nothing. Move to my neighborhood. Manayunk Wall baby 23%

Jeff

Cyburbian
The Manayunk Wall, from the USPRO Cycling Championships in Philly.

My house is at the top.

g_fu_01.jpg

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Has anybody seen this list -
50 new architectural terms for the 21st Century
from http://www.spa.uk.net/newsletter.htm

This term might fit this thread -
cyclopath
Environmental campaigner suffering from a behavioural disorder on two wheels.

donk

Cyburbian
Next year's Tour route has been announced .

Having lived near Liege and visited Charleroi and Waterloo and driven/ rode many roads in this area it will be really cool to watch and see the scenery of some place I've actually been.

For the recumbent fans, a carbon fibre recumbent, price for bike = $5800 USD

recumbent.withshadow.jpg

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
My next design project is a women's bike shop-space planning and interior. Location will probably be either urban or up to me. Got any suggestions? Mike D., I know you got something...

martini

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
My next design project is a women's bike shop-space planning and interior. Location will probably be either urban or up to me. Got any suggestions? Mike D., I know you got something...

Yeah, it'll have lesbians as the mechanics, not that there's anything wrong with that....

Go urban for sure, and focus on the commuter aspect of riding. Lord knows theres not enough of that going around. Need help? lemme know, I've got 15+ years of experience with bike shops.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:

Yeah, you need to decorate with alot of hot chicks in tight clothing.

No seriously, if its a women's shop, I'm available for photo shoots, you can make a big cardboard cut out of me and stand it in the window.

I've never heard of a "womens" bike shop. Please explain.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I would also deny access to any chicks except for the hot ones, i.e. if you're not hot, you can't ride. That simple.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I don't have the program yet. Honesty I've never heard of a bike shop specifically for women either. I am supposed to get it in class this afternoon so I will return with more information.

el Guapo

Capitalist
The Irish One said:
Nice rack El Guapo. Le Tour!!!!!

I know the "real" cyclists think racks are for girly men and DUI riders but I carry stuff all the time and I don't race and may never race so it makes sense to me. Plus that is where I keep the pistola and ammo when I ride the South end. ;)

donk

Cyburbian
Jessie -J, on a serious note,

I think that the way the bikes and parts are displayed would be slightly different. More space to walk around an item to look at it, vs needing help to pull it down off a wall or away from a long row of bikes.

Sizes - bikes/clothes, more small and women specific designs,Terry and Trek WSD come to mind right of the top of my head.

Clothing, displayed in a nicer format then the typical racks.

Workshop and tool area out of sight.

Space for seminars/teaching sessions.

el Guapo said:
I know the "real" cyclists think racks are for girly men and DUI riders but I carry stuff all the time and I don't race and may never race so it makes sense to me. Plus that is where I keep the pistola and ammo when I ride the South end. ;)

My town bike has a rack on it, for groceries and when we go trail building. It was a custom racing mtb, when it was built I paid extra and faced the scorn of many that thought rack mounts on a racing bike were sacrilegious. 15 years later I am happy I did. My current road bike has them, when I get a new bike it will probbaly become my town bike and have a rack put on it.

el Guapo

Capitalist
As to Chick cycling:
I would divide the store into Dutch v. Lipstick.
The Dutch side would be the normal Mountain Bike section of your regular LBS. Except more Indigo Girls on the Soundtrack.

The lipstick side would have the recumbents, tandems and other traditional chick materials like kotex machines and potpourri. I would have pastels a ‘plenty on the walls and some of those slimming mirrors. The place would be littered with chick magazines, the books on Oprah's list, an espresso machine, and it would be staffed by non-threatening snotty effete' salespersons (david spade types). Oh, and the prices would be 20% higher for the same crap. Oh, and everything would always be on sale back to the normal high everyday prices.

donk

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
how would a space be different to appeal to more cummuter cyclists?

Full of neon vests, racks, panniers, halt spray and pant bands.

A place to safely park your bike when shopping (inside would be great)

A commuter based shop would probably have less high tech g whiz bikes (C40/Trek 9.9/Moots/Santa cruz etc) and more low to mid priced bikes with the odd IF Planet Cross thrown in for good measure.

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:

A commuter based shop would probably have less high tech g whiz bikes (C40/Trek 9.9/Moots/Santa cruz etc) and more low to mid priced bikes with the odd IF Planet Cross thrown in for good measure.

If you walk into the store, plunk down your cash, and ride out on a new bike you're a Fred.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Thrift stores, yard sales, etc are all acceptable places to buy bikes. Especially for their beatability.

Fred.

donk

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:

What is a Fred? What is a Wilma?

fred n. 1) a person who spends a lot of money on his bike and clothing, but still can't ride. "What a Fred -- too much Lycra and titanium and not enough skill." Synonym for poser. Occasionally called a "barney". 2) (from roadriding) a person who has a mishmash of old gear, does't care at all about technology or fashion, didn't race or follow racing, etc. Often identified by chainring marks on white calf socks. Used by "serious" roadies to disparage utility cyclists and touring riders, especially after these totally unfashionable "freds" drop the "serious" roadies on hills because the "serious" guys were really posers. According to popular myth, "Fred" was a well-known grumpy old touring rider, who really was named Fred.

from http://world.std.com/~jimf/biking/slang.html

el Guapo

Capitalist
What is the term for a guy that rides for the love of the ride and nothing more?