• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Bicycle Thread

Vancity

Cyburbian
Sorry about this but I took some glamour shots of the bicycle this week and I feel compelled to share more of what I've already shared. Sorry.

I dare say, she will be coming to the grave with me.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Sorry about this but I took some glamour shots of the bicycle this week and I feel compelled to share more of what I've already shared. Sorry.

I dare say, she will be coming to the grave with me.
She is absolutely beautiful. That is why I love bicycles, technology that isn't fancy and just works. Plus the satisfaction of moving under your own power. Thank you so much for sharing! :D

HomerJ

Cyburbian

It is sad.

"Bikelash" will continue to grow in most cities (which is actually a good indicator of cycling's increasing popularity) and policy makers will feel as though they have to do something to address the problem. I am encouraged, however, by the fact that more and more people are becoming aware of the real problem here, which is safety. Sooner or later people will realize that bicycling isn't going away, and things like helmet laws and bicycle registration are not realistic ways to deal with safety concerns. All that being said, building safe and bicycle friendly roads takes a lot of time and money, and the pressure to do something now will only increase. The most frustrating part of this line of work is trying to manage where the bike facilities go. So often we are trying to fit them around our existing traffic patterns, which severely limits our ability to provide safe and direct bicycle routes.

wahday

Cyburbian
I think this is a brilliant idea. But why stop at bikes?! We have a whole army of pedestrians out there in shoes that are not registered or insured and every single one of them is unpermitted. Seriously?! We could recapture so much in sidewalk construction/maintenance revenue, the striping of crosswalks, etc. if we required pedestrian licensing.

Some other untapped resources:
  • Strollers
  • Walkers
  • Shopping carts (heck, let’s charge the homeless if they are going to sleep under state highways)
  • Rolling suitcases
  • Wheelchairs

On another note, I am reading a book called “Its all About the Bike” which has some fascinating bike history info. Like: in the 1890’s bike racing was the #1 American spectator sport. Also, in that same era, there were so many applications for bike-related patents that they had their own separate building. Lastly, the diamond frame (which is what virtually every bike in production today uses) was invented just after the turn of the 20th century and has remained virtually unchanged ever since. Mechanical perfection...

Doohickie

Cyburbian
You don't have to apologize for bike pr0n. Not in this thread. No sir.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I think this is a brilliant idea. But why stop at bikes?! We have a whole army of pedestrians out there in shoes that are not registered or insured and every single one of them is unpermitted. Seriously?! We could recapture so much in sidewalk construction/maintenance revenue, the striping of crosswalks, etc. if we required pedestrian licensing.

Some other untapped resources:
  • Strollers
  • Walkers
  • Shopping carts (heck, let’s charge the homeless if they are going to sleep under state highways)
  • Rolling suitcases
  • Wheelchairs

On another note, I am reading a book called “Its all About the Bike” which has some fascinating bike history info. Like: in the 1890’s bike racing was the #1 American spectator sport. Also, in that same era, there were so many applications for bike-related patents that they had their own separate building. Lastly, the diamond frame (which is what virtually every bike in production today uses) was invented just after the turn of the 20th century and has remained virtually unchanged ever since. Mechanical perfection...
That's the real answer. Put another way, the public has a Constitutional right to free passage, and that includes bicycles. Cars are different. It's been ruled in the courts that the nature of cars - their weight, their speed, the amount of damage they can do, the noise they make - justifies registration of motor vehicles and licensing of drivers. But to do that to bicycles would place an unconstitutional limit on the public's right to free passage.

DVD

Cyburbian
For those that care it looks like Cleveland is starting a ride share program like citibike in NYC. It's supposed to be geared for mid sized cities.

Vancity

Cyburbian
For those that care it looks like Cleveland is starting a ride share program like citibike in NYC. It's supposed to be geared for mid sized cities.
Vancouver has been trying to do this for years but things like helmet laws make the logistics of it more difficult.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Vancouver has been trying to do this for years but things like helmet laws make the logistics of it more difficult.
Fort Worth's helmet law only applies to kids. I can see where it would mess up bikesharing if it were required for adults as well.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
[OT]Do they require pedestrians to wear helmets in Vancouver? Because people are far more likely to suffer dain bramage from a fall while walking than a bicycle accident. Don't even get me started on head injuries in car wrecks and drivers not being required by the state to wear protective helmets....:not:[/OT]

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Ah, too bad. If it were B Cycle I could ride with a Ft Worth bikeshare membership. Bikeshare has taken root very quickly in Fort Worth and is growing rapidly. It gives visibility to cycling, and that visibility is starting to spur bicycle-related development along the Trinity River Trails (the major MUP in the city). A fitness center is being build along the trail in one spot that will include a bar, coffee shop and bike shop. Another mixed use development has been proposed that will also include a bike shop and food truck park. I don't think it's any coincidence that both of these are adjacent to the MUP.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
[OT]Do they require pedestrians to wear helmets in Vancouver? Because people are far more likely to suffer dain bramage from a fall while walking than a bicycle accident. Don't even get me started on head injuries in car wrecks and drivers not being required by the state to wear protective helmets....:not:[/OT]
At the risk of a contentious tangent, I think helmets should not be required for adults. That said, I always where one, and it's saved me from injury once so far. That, and my wife likes me to wear it.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Ah, too bad. If it were B Cycle I could ride with a Ft Worth bikeshare membership.

You can always take a trip to my fair city and check out a B-Cycle along the Mission Reach!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gegy7jlcn4U

It's really awesome that each major Texas city provides the same bike share vendor. I've visited Fort Worth, Austin, and Houston and used each of their systems. It's time to get Dallas to join the ranks already! Interestingly enough, Dallas has an all age mandatory helmet law.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
You can always take a trip to my fair city and check out a B-Cycle along the Mission Reach!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gegy7jlcn4U

It's really awesome that each major Texas city provides the same bike share vendor. I've visited Fort Worth, Austin, and Houston and used each of their systems. It's time to get Dallas to join the ranks already! Interestingly enough, Dallas has an all age mandatory helmet law.
We did the missions bus tour last time in SA and saw the trails there were along (and being put in along) the river. Next time we go we'll probably bring bikes.

wahday

Cyburbian
I also wear a helmet every time I ride. I don't even think about it anymore. I have a friend who was hit (and run) by a car and the helmet saved his life. I also know someone who was out mountain biking and last in a group that had become spread out. The area (Lajitas in west Texas) is very flat but he still took a dive and hit his head really bad (broke the upper jaw even). He was not wearing a helmet. He became confused and disoriented and started riding back the direction they had come. Fortunately his buddies turned around and eventually caught up with him. They even helicoptered him out.

Law or no law, I don't really have an opinion for adults, but I will be wearing mine always.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
That article was just depressing. A pedestrian was killed months after hitting and killing a cyclist, some time after the cyclist shot and killed an intruder in his home. So much killing.

Vancity

Cyburbian
The City of Vancouver wants to do away with helmet laws seeing as cycling infrastructure has been and is being heavily invested in throughout the city and the adjacent municipalities, and the helmet laws of course hamper this effort. Unfortunately it is a provincial law, and the province has not budged on making exceptions for Vancouver.

Luckily it is not heavily enforced, although it seems to be random when the police choose to suddenly care. I guess they have target amounts of tickets they have to give.

The S/O fell off his bike straight onto his face a few weeks ago and got some fairly bad scrapes.. since then we have worn helmets, but before I watched him go down, I never have. I got hit by a car when I was younger, but for whatever reason I never picked a helmet up until I saw someone else go down.

I also have made the point that driving is much more hazardous for the head and all other parts of the body when accidents occur. Its stupid that cyclists are forced to wear them and drivers aren't :r:

kms

Cyburbian
I wear a helmet when I ride my bike.

I suppose I could also wear it when I'm in a car, but I'm not gonna.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My wife and I noticed the bike share program they had in Chicago over the weekend. We were shocked to see that it was only $7.00 for 24 hours of access. We didn't rent one because we had an unlimited pass for public transit and we wanted to take our time and walk the streets.

But I think that it is wonderful to see something like that and I hope that more communities can do something similar.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My wife and I noticed the bike share program they had in Chicago over the weekend. We were shocked to see that it was only $7.00 for 24 hours of access. We didn't rent one because we had an unlimited pass for public transit and we wanted to take our time and walk the streets.

But I think that it is wonderful to see something like that and I hope that more communities can do something similar.
Where all did you go in Chicago?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Where all did you go in Chicago?
[ot] Field Museum, Union Station, Michigan Ave, Millenim Park, Buckingham Fountain, and Navy Pier.
*I am am terrified of heights, but I took my wife on the Ferris Wheel... I then got a Guinness at Harry Cary's to calm my nerves.

BTW, I had nothing to do with this, but it apparently happened just a little while after we were there...

We also decided to stay out near the airport. It is interesting to see the differences in lifestyles between those who live downtown, and those who live along the blue line. [/ot]

jsk1983

Cyburbian

They seem to becoming more and more popular. Milwaukee has the start of one, they call it Bublr. Not many stations yet, but it should be more extensive with a large expansion next year.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
[ot] Field Museum, Union Station, Michigan Ave, Millenim Park, Buckingham Fountain, and Navy Pier.
*I am am terrified of heights, but I took my wife on the Ferris Wheel... I then got a Guinness at Harry Cary's to calm my nerves.

BTW, I had nothing to do with this, but it apparently happened just a little while after we were there...

We also decided to stay out near the airport. It is interesting to see the differences in lifestyles between those who live downtown, and those who live along the blue line. [/ot]
Do they still have the T-Rex at the Field Museum? Haven't been to Millennium Park, because I can't get my family out of the suburbs when I go back.:not: Oddly, I've never been to Navy Pier. Glad y'all had fun.

HomerJ

Cyburbian

Just installed a few of these nifty counters this week.

Mwah hah hah. Now that my plan to have "active transportation" data is in place, all roads henceforth will be narrowed to 10 ft. wide trails!

Cargo bikes! Cargo bikes EVERYWHERE!

DVD

Cyburbian

Just installed a few of these nifty counters this week.

Mwah hah hah. Now that my plan to have "active transportation" data is in place, all roads henceforth will be narrowed to 10 ft. wide trails!

Cargo bikes! Cargo bikes EVERYWHERE!
You're an evil bastard or a brilliant planner, I think it's one in the same.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
8 mniutes of your life you'll never get back

[video=youtube;OQ80I2ejGws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ80I2ejGws[/video]

A little video I made of our ride Sunday night. Not shown: The bar stops at the Pour House and T&P Tavern. ;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Yeah, that's what I'm looking for and I do intend to make it part of my exercise routine, plus next March when the lease is up on my car, we're going to try being a one car household again and I'd like to be able to get to/from work as quickly as possible.

I may not even buy new, because I know I can get used (and "vintage" if possible) very easily. Plus, I can fix/tune-up/modify bikes easily because I was bike mechanic at the local bike shop in high school.

I'd like to find a 70s Schwinn Collegiate or Racer.

And I will never get rid of the 970. High end chromoly frames are awesome. I never warmed to aluminum..too rigid of a ride. Actually, I wish I hadn't sold my 1994 Trek 820, which was my first steps into quality mountain bikes.
Finally got something I was looking for last year.

It's a vintage 60s or 70s 3 speed town/commuter bike that I got from a garage sale in my neighborhood about 2 weeks ago for only $55. It's in great shape and doesn't really need much work (except for maybe a new shifter cable). I've even ridden it to work once so far. Much better riding position for around town than my Trek 970 mountain bike.

Last edited:

wahday

Cyburbian
Two newish bikes for me:

This is the latest iteration of a bike I have been tinkering with for a few years (its a Salsa El Mariachi). I put some big, giant, fat ole tires on there (29X3 for those who care) to make it what is called a 29er+ (requires a wider set of rims so I had to swap the wheelset as well). Not quite a fat bike but not quite a regular 29er either. So-so on pavement, but get it on an unpaved trail and its tons of fun and tough as nails. I feel like a kid again riding this thing out in the hinterlands. You can run super low pressure and crawl over pretty much anything. And its way faster than you would suspect.

This bike is being prepared for dedicated bikepacking. Not sure if it will happen this fall or next spring, but I have been threatening to ride a huge 550 mile loop from my fair city. Pretty burly terrain and 98 percent unpaved. I am expecting it would take me 12 days. Most of the route is very remote with large stretches devoid of any water sources. But there are cattle tanks I can filter from so I am trying to map the location of those using Google Earth. Portions of the route have been ridden by others (they include sections of the Continental Divide Trail and the Grand Enchantment Trail) but a good 150 has no beta for through-riding or hiking. I am hoping to ride at least a 100 or 150 mile section this summer with the rest to follow.

A number of western states have these bikepacking trails that are very popular: Colorado Trail, Arizona Trail, Stagecoach Trail, Idaho Boundary Trail, etc. The Mother of all bikepacking routes is the Trail Divide which roughly follows the Continental Divide from Banff in Canada to the Mexican border at Antelope Wells NM. With this ride I am hoping to clear the way for establishing one of these trails in our state. I think it could be a good catalyst for the developing recreational tourism industry.

And, but, also...

This is my newest acquisition (2011 Giant Anthem X2). My first full-suspension 29er bike and I’m loving it. I have had it for about 2 months now and beat the crap out of it pretty well. But it keeps coming back for more, so I keep riding. It has really expanded my confidence level and I find myself tackling advanced level trails that I might have walked before (or attempted and later regretted…)

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I might have accidentally bought a bike yesterday I'll see if it shows up. My brother is looking for a hybrid road/trail bike. He has his mind set on a Giant Excape 1. A teacher at the school he works at found out and is trying to sell him a specialized crossroads sport that he won at a raffle two years ago. The tires are still wrapped in plastic. He wants $50 for it. So I gave my brother the money and I told him happy birthday. He said it will be on my porch by the weekend because he doesn't want it. If it shows up and it's not a small or medium frame, I'll make it into a commuter bike for the fourish blocks to the office. I just discovered that I'll be able to walk/ride four days a week when school is out. I am excited and looking for a after market chain guard. If that doesn't pan out I'll ride my mountain bike. I just don't want to have to swap out the pedals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Nice rides, wahday.

And $50 for a new Specialized is a rippin' deal, Big Owl.

wahday

Cyburbian
Nice rides, wahday.

And $50 for a new Specialized is a rippin' deal, Big Owl.
I meant to say that I really dig that Columbia! I'm not just about mountain bikes afterall. That is an ideal commuter and grocery getter what with that rack. And those bars! - sa-weet!

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Two newish bikes for me:

This is the latest iteration of a bike I have been tinkering with for a few years (its a Salsa El Mariachi). I put some big, giant, fat ole tires on there (29X3 for those who care) to make it what is called a 29er+ (requires a wider set of rims so I had to swap the wheelset as well). Not quite a fat bike but not quite a regular 29er either. So-so on pavement, but get it on an unpaved trail and its tons of fun and tough as nails. I feel like a kid again riding this thing out in the hinterlands. You can run super low pressure and crawl over pretty much anything. And its way faster than you would suspect.
Replying here to resurrect this most excellent thread, since I'm back on Cyburbia and big on bikes. I'm looking into getting/building a 29+ wheelset to run on my fatbike for the summer. Are those rims Velocity Blunts?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
F_M - what is that abomination with the small wheels?

That's an interesting Frankenbike.

That bike room looks like my brother's garage. Piles of bikes and parts and parts of bikes and a repair stand.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
F_M - what is that abomination with the small wheels?

That's an interesting Frankenbike.

That bike room looks like my brother's garage. Piles of bikes and parts and parts of bikes and a repair stand.
That's my minivelo! It's almost the silliest bike I own. Serves it's purpose as the "B" commuter when my main ride is down for maintenance.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Another bike fatality on a bike path. This was a 6yo boy, and the funeral was held on what would have been his 7th birthday.

intersection laraway lake.png

The vehicle stop line is worn, and there are no signs indicating that this is a trail crossing.

IMG_4695.JPG

Most drivers seem to stop here:

IMG_4701.JPG

This morning I was pleased to see a PM from a member of the county road commission asking for more details.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another bike fatality on a bike path. This was a 6yo boy, and the funeral was held on what would have been his 7th birthday.

View attachment 24682

The vehicle stop line is worn, and there are no signs indicating that this is a trail crossing.

View attachment 24683

Most drivers seem to stop here:

View attachment 24684

This morning I was pleased to see a PM from a member of the county road commission asking for more details.
Heartbreaking for the family and a preventable accident waiting to happen due to low cost deferred maintenance.