• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Bicycle Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Reminds me I saw a ghost bike in front of the Fire Dept. across the street about a month ago. That your handiwork, vel?

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
The Monday thread was getting all bikey. I'm coming over here to post pics of some of the fleet. This was a dumpster freebie frame that I rattle-canned and set up fixed/free. 1325547760.jpg

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
This was my dad's old road bike, which I completely disassembled, cleaned, rebuilt, and ultimately sold. DSC_4235.NEF.jpg

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
...and this was a Japan-made Trek that was free at the bottom of somebody's driveway. I rode it fixed for a couple of seasons adn then turned it back into a 10-speed roadie and sold it. I miss it.[UNSET].jpg

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I like the look of old headlights, but they just don't get the job done like modern LEDs. Someone should make a kit that would replace the existing bulb with an LED and put in a port for a rechargeable battery pack.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I like the look of old headlights, but they just don't get the job done like modern LEDs. Someone should make a kit that would replace the existing bulb with an LED and put in a port for a rechargeable battery pack.
I had gutted that one and popped a candle in it for fun- but it was easily big enough inside to pull apart an led flashlight and use that instead- I just didn't get to it.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I wouldn't say I have New Years Resolutions; it's more of a case of New Years Revertions. I'd like to revert back to behaviors I've gotten away from. One is watching what I eat better. I've done this in the past but let it get away. Another is riding bicycles more. Less than 2000 miles for me last year is an all time low since I started riding again in 2008. My last isn't really a revertion, it is a resolution. I'm going to try to be kinder this year.

So far in the first two days I've had two rides. I've noticed several changes along routes I'm familiar with. For instance I don't remember this vegetated sign being here

And I'm pretty sure that banana is new.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
With today's ride I'm 3-for-3 this year and up to 50 miles. I'm pretty sure this will slack off when I go to work Monday, and if the weather gets crappy, but I might as well ride when I can.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
After neglecting the bike for a week I rattled off another 17 miles tonight. I checked out a new bar where I heard a friend was working, looks like it might become a regular haunt. It's like a big living room with craft beers.

LTz57E8vxJ93d76_OmetmR3tm2rbijkcTD1H9yiU

Besides the bartender I know, a friend from my neighborhood was there (left) as well as my friend that owns a brewery (right). He just announced plans for expansion.

But oh.... ride... bike, I should include a bike picture.

dR5XubmTG73-uWK1FgrJpp06fU5OVd1yQxPf5hRa

It was a gorgeous night for a ride- 57 degrees, low hanging clouds- almost, but not quite, foggy.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Those are definitely phat.

About a week ago I decided enough is enough and it was time to start counting calories and exercise more (again). Getting more miles in on the bicycle, did 26.7 miles today. Some pics from my ride:

Airfield Falls. This is about 10 miles from my house. This is a hidden gem of Fort Worth. It's along the Trinity Trails (this is creek is a tributary to the Trinity River), about a quarter mile in from the nearest parking. On the walk over to the falls is a butterfly garden (which had a lot of winged visitors today), then this little waterfall. As you can see, it's at most wading pool depth and kids young and old enjoy getting their feet wet. There's no admission, but I think because it is not publicized, you can't see it from the street, and you actually have to hike in from parking, it keeps the crowds out. This is a typical turnout for a warm day.

Looking downstream a bit (bicycle in the same location)

Looking back at the falls from the bridge visible in the last picture.

A Really Great Blue Heron, painted on one of the floodgate controls along the Trinity River levy.

Some kayakers on the Trinity River just north of Downtown Fort Worth.

The West 7th Street Bridge. This bridge was built on the cheap, designed by TXDOT, with the concrete arches prefabricated just beyond the levy. The arches and their supports were installed while the old bridge stood, then the old bridge was torn down and the crossbeams and roadway installed. The road was closed only 5 months to take down the old bridge and build up the new one. This is becoming a signature bridge for Fort Worth, used as one of the local scenery shots whenever a national event happens here. It was used in a recent Kia commercial.

The Phyllis J. Tilley Memorial Bridge (pedestrian bridge, foreground) and the Lancaster Avenue Bridge (beyond). On the other side of the Trinity River is Trinity Park, one of Fort Worth's two featured parks.

About 11 miles of today's ride were on the Trinity Trails, the rest on local streets.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Today I did 37 miles. That's not outstanding, even for me, but considering how much I haven't been riding until recently, it was respectable. I stopped riding regularly when we bought our house two years ago. One bike in particular has been neglected: My commuter bike. I know because it's had a flat tire since we moved in. So I took it out today for the first time since we moved into this house.

Along the way I decided to shoot some pics of murals and sign art along the Hemphill corridor, a street that was recently restriped with bike lanes.

mtuyZgcbc4cYbFfECPOyltopl_9Xphe5XV5AdEQ1

3fH_mrwk7wovmzsyrQneI6xMgqCaBUWH273jXtHQ

QKc5f08pzlai6xkDB0cyGswPJgEAThI_aSJbXsBT

j6-1TX-1eTObQts2wBUgkOflDsYUk2AnjZ8wR0tl

0kB5HtY0MsrXkdQodq4knp3tt38w1kEoKp-nD5G8

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I managed to get 40 miles in today, first time I've done 40 in quite a while. No murals this time. I rode out to the new campus of Tarleton State University on the edge of Fort Worth.

When I say edge, I mean edge. This is the view from the parking lot:

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
COVID really messed up my riding. I usually commute by bike about 7-8 months out of the year. This spring, between working from home and not wanting to use the shower at the office, bike commuting really fell flat, then finishing grad school in June and the wave of trying to accomplish three years of put-off house projects after that killed weekend pleasure riding. I'm getting back out there a bit now, but my rides are often in the 15-20 mile range as that's what I have time for. Lots of steep dirt roads i can loop in within that range though

Today is the second day in a row I have ridden to work. I'm trying to make it more of a regular thing into December, if I can. Trying to lengthen those weekend rides and I may try to get an overnight in before it gets too far into the fall.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yep, I hear ya. When we bought our house, home projects displaced riding time. The cycling has pushed its way back in as part of a weight loss plan.