• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Bicycle Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Reminds me I saw a ghost bike in front of the Fire Dept. across the street about a month ago. That your handiwork, vel?

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
The Monday thread was getting all bikey. I'm coming over here to post pics of some of the fleet. This was a dumpster freebie frame that I rattle-canned and set up fixed/free. 1325547760.jpg

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
This was my dad's old road bike, which I completely disassembled, cleaned, rebuilt, and ultimately sold. DSC_4235.NEF.jpg

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
...and this was a Japan-made Trek that was free at the bottom of somebody's driveway. I rode it fixed for a couple of seasons adn then turned it back into a 10-speed roadie and sold it. I miss it.[UNSET].jpg

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I like the look of old headlights, but they just don't get the job done like modern LEDs. Someone should make a kit that would replace the existing bulb with an LED and put in a port for a rechargeable battery pack.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I like the look of old headlights, but they just don't get the job done like modern LEDs. Someone should make a kit that would replace the existing bulb with an LED and put in a port for a rechargeable battery pack.
I had gutted that one and popped a candle in it for fun- but it was easily big enough inside to pull apart an led flashlight and use that instead- I just didn't get to it.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I wouldn't say I have New Years Resolutions; it's more of a case of New Years Revertions. I'd like to revert back to behaviors I've gotten away from. One is watching what I eat better. I've done this in the past but let it get away. Another is riding bicycles more. Less than 2000 miles for me last year is an all time low since I started riding again in 2008. My last isn't really a revertion, it is a resolution. I'm going to try to be kinder this year.

So far in the first two days I've had two rides. I've noticed several changes along routes I'm familiar with. For instance I don't remember this vegetated sign being here

And I'm pretty sure that banana is new.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
With today's ride I'm 3-for-3 this year and up to 50 miles. I'm pretty sure this will slack off when I go to work Monday, and if the weather gets crappy, but I might as well ride when I can.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
After neglecting the bike for a week I rattled off another 17 miles tonight. I checked out a new bar where I heard a friend was working, looks like it might become a regular haunt. It's like a big living room with craft beers.

LTz57E8vxJ93d76_OmetmR3tm2rbijkcTD1H9yiU

Besides the bartender I know, a friend from my neighborhood was there (left) as well as my friend that owns a brewery (right). He just announced plans for expansion.

But oh.... ride... bike, I should include a bike picture.

dR5XubmTG73-uWK1FgrJpp06fU5OVd1yQxPf5hRa

It was a gorgeous night for a ride- 57 degrees, low hanging clouds- almost, but not quite, foggy.