• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

NEVERENDING ∞ The NEVERENDING Bicycle Thread

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Those handle bars are an interesting adaptation. :)

Last edited:

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Those handle bars are a interesting adaptation. :)

This is my fat/ "super gravel" bike, a category I admit I basically made up myself. I ride this to commute and on mixed paved/road/mtb trail rides. The drops let me get down out of the wind when I need to but are wide enough to give me pretty good leverage on the trail as well. This bike is currently set up "dinglespeed," so you have the choice of a 36x16 for the road or 22x30 for the trail. You have to stop for a minute and move the chain between these two manually to "shift."

If I ever have the time for more backroad/backcountry touring. I'll probably put a wide 29er wheelset on with an 11-52 chainring instead of the 26x4 I have now.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
No problem making up a new design/ride category. Someone had to invent the "Mountain Bike" moniker.

By way of analogy, about 2 years ago I created the colloquial name for a well defined portion of our downtown. It's now South Town as it's effectively the south half of our greater C-2 (Cen. Bus.) District and the primary portion of the downtown I called Uptown.

Not very inventive, but easy to remember.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I've been riding the bike a lot and it's helping with the weight loss.

My 58th birthday was yesterday (yay me) so I set out to ride my age this morning. For an extra level of difficulty I rode it on a single speed fixed gear bike. I was great through 50+ miles but the last 10 I was dragging. I rode my age and them some, ended up just shy of 65 miles.

People get ready, there's a train a-comin'

Coffee stop

Airfield Falls (I've posted pictures of this before)

This is where I was when I reached my age

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
In my neck of the woods you cannot get a new bike until April. Apparently during the pandemic everyone bought or ordered a new bicycle. I have a rusty old mountain bike. I really just want a cruiser.

kms

Cyburbian
In my neck of the woods you cannot get a new bike until April. Apparently during the pandemic everyone bought or ordered a new bicycle. I have a rusty old mountain bike. I really just want a cruiser.
Look for gently used bikes. People who realized they don't really like cycling are selling their pretty new bikes. My friend got a nice Trek on Facebook marketplace.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Buy slick tires for it. It will be a lot more fun to ride on the streets.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I took vacation this week and the weather has been super fine. That means a nice bike ride every day. I went 50 miles today on my fixed gear bike today. My first stop was breakfast at a coffee shop

Took a few pics of some random artwork in the city- a mural on a hair salon, a mosaic in a sidewalk, and an even larger mural in the Stockyards area (note my bicycle lower left for scale)

Finally.... there is a section of trail that's been closed for a while. I snuck in there today to see what they're doing. They've widened the trail and paved over a muddy area between a park access road and the trail. In this picture, on the far left is the Trinity River. On the edge of the bank is the track for the Forest Park Miniature Railroad, a tourist train that runs between the Fort Worth Zoo (recently rated #1 in the nation, brag, brag) and Trinity Park, then the Trinity Trail bike/pedestrian trail; you can see they added about a foot to its width, then a paved "plaza" area, then the road (which is awaiting repaving), then a little more plaza, then a parking area. Those plaza areas were unpaved dirty/muddy areas previously. They are now nicely finished off. It's almost worth having the trail closed to get this done.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I did a 50 miler yesterday. In July when I started losing weight, I couldn't even do 50, now it's not that big of a deal.

Early stop for fuel

We're all friends here!

I will note that when I first started riding I had trouble with this bike: when I leaned over to get to the handlebars, my stomach was in the way so riding was not comfortable. Much better now.

Topping off the tank mid-ride

In Texas, Multi-Use Path takes on a whole new meaning!

As I build up my stamina, it seems like the city is getting smaller. Longish rides are short hops.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Thanksgiving Eve Thirty: The thirty mile ride I did Wednesday. I'm starting to like this Taco Truck on Every Corner thing:

Waiting for TEXRail, the train that goes from DFW Airport to downtown Ft Worth

They've been painting murals on the Trinity River flood gate controllers.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
But on Thanksgiving I topped that with the Thanksgiving Thirty-One.... that's right the ride was a mile longer that Wednesday's ride. I had a slight tailwind, and with the light traffic I managed to get from my house to downtown in about 25 minutes, which is fantastic for me. (That's almost 17 mph average.)

This year's tree is for looking only. NO TOUCHING.

Another one of those murals.

And finally, Airfield Falls. I think there's other pictures of it in this thread.