• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Bicycle Thread

martini

Cyburbian
And on a serious note....

a commuter shop would most likely be located in a nurban setting(say downtown or near a business district, or even a college). Like donk said, product focus would be onthe more affordable end of the scale, with the occaisional eye candy thrown in for good measure. Not everyone needs a Colnago C-50 McD. Things I'd focus with: fenders, racks(BIKE RACKS), lights, bags and panniers for carting shit around, good locks fixed gear bikes, Euro 'trekking' bikes. A great source of advertising would be the local messengers. Work on thier bikes, do a good job, and you'll find all kinds of 'em at your door. As for the woman clientele, smaller, more womanly clothing, shoes, helmets, gloves, nutrition, maybe offer classes on how to do various on trail repairs(fix a flat, fix a chain, adjust derailluers/brakes). I'd for sure have maps of the trails in your metro area offered.

BKM

Cyburbian
I have to admit, my eyes glaze over when my friends start nattering on and on about bike parts.

On the other hand, I have far more bicycle than I need (definitely a Fred), so....

The Irish One

I know the "real" cyclists think racks are for girly men and DUI riders but I carry stuff all the time and I don't race and may never race so it makes sense to me. Plus that is where I keep the pistola and ammo when I ride the South end.

Guapo, are you interested in some used bags for that rack?

martini

Cyburbian
steeringhead.jpg

This is one of the coolest headbadges I've seen. Neat bikes to boot.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Converting my (semi) racing mtn bike

All this talk of commuter bikes makes me jealous.

I have a 1996 Trek 970 that I would love to convert to a more friendly commuter bike. What is the best means to getting a rack on the rear, without having the requisite mounts on the rear triangle?

donk

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
All this talk of commuter bikes makes me jealous.

I have a 1996 Trek 970 that I would love to convert to a more friendly commuter bike. What is the best means to getting a rack on the rear, without having the requisite mounts on the rear triangle?

Some racks come with a hose clamp type mount that goes on the seat and chain stays. I would expect that your bike probably does have tapped holes on the inside of the seat stays and near the drop outs, most treks do.

You may also want to try a rack available from URL=http://www.moots.com/store-indivdisplay.php?primaryAutoID=6&Department=Titanium+Components]moots[/URL] and another from delta.

Moots($80)
tailgator.jpg

Delta($40)
DC-PH.gif

My favourite head badge is from columbine bikes

IMG0011.JPEG

I love good bike eye candy.

martini said:
This is one of the coolest headbadges I've seen. Neat bikes to boot.

Does not hurt that they are manufactured by IF Bikes .

Last edited by a moderator:

martini

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Converting my (semi) racing mtn bike

donk said:
My favourite head badge is from columbine bikes

I love good bike eye candy.

Not to brag or anything, but the Murphy brothers, expeacailly Rich, are good freinds on mine. Rich has acutally started a great little shop in Greeley(Rich's Bicycle Works) much along the lines that Jessie-J wants to do(Across the street from the UNC campus). He's also buidling his own bikes under the Solstice monkier, since Columbine moved to Cali. Solstice just as nice, but a tad cheaper.

donk

Cyburbian
Jerseys for PG ;)

back.gif

front.gif

Last image from worlds.

me and the infamous el diablo from the tour.

173me_and_Diablo2.jpg

He came over and basically lived for free as everyone bought him meals, gave him places to stay and got their pictures taken with him.

The craziest part was during the pro mens race when he got a ride around the course and was hanging out of the window of teh car he was in.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Thats an awesome picture!

Hes more famous than most of the guys racing.

martini

Cyburbian
Donk, got the care package yesterday. Thanks! Haven't had time to look at the pics yet...maybe tonight after class. I couldn't believe how tight they had that tshirt wrapped up. crazy...

Thanks, man!

el Guapo

Capitalist
257roller.jpg

The sollution to winter weather. It takes a while to get proficient. Yes, I am wearing a helmet indoors. After you crash in your basement hall you'd wear a helmet too!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I have wanted one of those !
1st ? what is it called?
2nd? recommendation on purchasing one?

donk

Cyburbian
JNA said:
I have wanted one of those !
1st ? what is it called?
2nd? recommendation on purchasing one?

They are called rollers. I've never been able to master them (falloff, bad spin/technique, lack concentration) and am banished to the world of wind and mag trainers.
icon11.gif

The ones that are the "best" are supposed to be keitler's.

EG that is hard core. At this rate you'll be pulling my sorry ass up climbs next year. Must ski and ride the wind trainer this winter.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
3rd?
any options on using a trainer at home vs going to the Y for spinning?

Queen B

Cyburbian
Just have to share with all of you in the BIKE thread. You are such an inspiration... I have recently biked twice.
But the last time was last weekend along coast in San Diego before the smoke got to bad. King B and I got one of those bench seat bikes and had a nice little ride. He was so surprised I asked him to do that!
I am going to work out at the Y this winter and then am hoping to get into some biking next spring, sshh, that's a goal I have set for myself personally, no body else knows yet. We'll see if I can structure myself.

Wulf9

Queen B said:
I am going to work out at the Y this winter and then am hoping to get into some biking next spring, sshh, that's a goal I have set for myself personally, no body else knows yet. We'll see if I can structure myself.

Hmmm. San Diego is a good place to bike year round. Why not start biking to your various close-by destinations rather than going to the Y? I make all short trips by bike now. (Lost 20 pounds, got in shape, good results.) Get a bike with a bag or basket, so you can carry the stuff you need to transport. Then take all short trips by bike.

donk

Cyburbian
JNA said:
3rd?
any options on using a trainer at home vs going to the Y for spinning?

Spinning = someone elses program, but they motivate you.

Rollers = have to motivate yourself. I usually ride them for an hour to an hour and a half at a time (1-2 a week plus skiing) and throw in a couple of sprints. It helps if you can watch TV or listen to music, I've tried reading, but it does not work for me.

If there was a spin class in my city, I'd probably try it out, just for something to do. They tend to focus on intensity vs quantity, so for a relatively fit cyclist, wanting to maintain conditioning they are pretty good, when combined with weights or other physical activity.

On the noise, my mag turbo's are relatively loud, but the new fluid ones are supposed to be quieter.

el Guapo

Capitalist
The Irish One said:
How loud are the rollers?

The rollers have a magnetic resistance unit and are so quiet I hear my shifts louder than I knew they were in the out of doors. Quiet enought to watch TV. Much quieter than our cheap Weslo treadmill. So quiet indeed that scientists use roller noise as the 1.000000 standard for quiet.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Rollers are cool too for the spring time. Your first group ride when the weather breaks, you can tell who has been riding a trainer and who has been on rollers.

As far as spinning goes...first off, spinning is gay (sorry gays) but if you do it, realize you are going to f**k up any relationship you have built with your bike. Its kinda like you're cheating on it.

Plus....excercise bikes simply promote horrible form. The pedals are too far apart, there is no gearing, so you're doing a number on your knees pushing some make-beileve monster gear up a hill, etc etc.

I use this in my winter indoor training.

Cat Eye Trainers

Not the best trainer, but it holds the front fork stable, gives you speed, distance, and most important for winter training...power data.

I work out with my team in the winter, and you can do this on your own too...nows the best time to start getting ready for next year. Buy Joe Friels book The Cyclists Training Bible and start building base miles now and all winter long. His training programs are awesome.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Sunday temps were in the 70's great afternoon for a bike ride.
Hard to believe it was November!

donk

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Sunday temps were in the 70's great afternoon for a bike ride.

Saturday road ride , long sleeved undershirt, jersey, shorts, knee warmers, long gloves, neoprene booties.

Skipped the sunday mountain bike ride, too wet and muddy.

At least the snow is gone, for now....

donk

Cyburbian
Go to sneak the last mountain bike ride of the year in, fall and end up separating my left shoulder.

Damn frozen SPD'S and worn out shoes.

Hopefully I can get it working in time for ski season. Now that it is too cold to ride, bring on the snow.

Last edited:

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:

I started using them egg beater thingies for my bi-monthly MTB ride. None of the problems SPD pedals have, but I don't like the small base for your foot, but for the amount of time I ride the thing I'm not too concerned.

donk

Cyburbian
The fall was stupid. Going about 0 KM/hr getting ready to stop, went to click out, nothing because of the ice in/on the pedals, combined with shoes that soles' are completely flexed out. Thought I could grab a tree, missed it and fell, with my arm completely extended, all of my weight went right through my arm into my really weak shoulders.

Guess I'l be on the wind trainer sooner then I thought.

martini

Cyburbian
donk said:

Bummer about the shoulder, hope it heals quickly. I agree with MikeD~get rid of the SPD's man! I long ago fell off that boat and have ben so very happy since. I use the Time platform and couldn't be happier. Cliping in and out is no trouble no matter the condition, frozen, muddy, dry, snow. Never a problem. The Eggbeaters/Candy from Crank Bros. certianly look like they'd be as effective as well.

I had a good finish yesterday in the State CX finals, despite being crashed out by some MTB hack that doesn't know how the paceline. He clipped my frontwheel, forcing me to the ground faster than I knew what was happening. I go t up, fixed the stem, and rode out the race to top half finish(was top 15 on a SS in the B's). So I'm sore today as well.

Jeff

Cyburbian
martini said:
Whatever

You've said this once already. Whatsamatter? Don't have the coordination to compete?

Dude, I run marathons and lesser distances. You don't get much gayer than running. Stop taking everything I say so seriously.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Allright....

So I'm working on starting a new team for next season, and was hit with the question last night..."Which bikes do you want? Orbea, Giant, or Fuji?"

Not gonna be top of the line Tour bikes, more of their "domestic racing" bikes (aluminum/carbon mix).

Whatch guys think? I'll let the throbbing brain cast my vote....

The Orbea's come with custom paint, and our names painted on them. Giant will probably be the lightest/highest carbon ratio, Fuji is out so don't bother.

donk

Cyburbian
I think I would go orbea.

Giants are erywhere, the paint schemes on the orbea web site looked cool too.

Jeff

Cyburbian
My thoughts exactly. I hate the fact that you can buy a Giant (albeit a cheapie one) in a sporting goods store.

donk

Cyburbian
warning

Don't read Armstrong's new book, it really is rotten. If you like Dr. Phil you may enjoy it, but the ghost writer this time really sucked and the notes of inspiration and hope it is supposed to send were wasted on me.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I almost bought it last night, but decided to wait until it came out in softcover (I hate hardcover). Thanks for the heads up.

BTW......Ullrich is going to make Armstrong look like a sissy boy next year. He may even make him parade around in a skirt. I'm calling it now, write it down.

martini

Cyburbian
Go with Orbea. The style is is where its at. Giants are, well plain. The paint you'll be able to get on the Orbea will be well worth it. I've seen quite a few around here, and they're all pretty damned swanky.

I know donk is out with a collarbone issue right now. I just went down in a CX race two weekends ago that really had me F'ckd up. Rounding a 90° corner at roughly 20, hot on the tail of another rider, about to break trhough to top 15(not bad for anout of shape SSing, mofo) and this dude pulls the classic slow down, and start swerving move. Clips my front wheel, and sends me crashing to the tarmac. HARD. I bounce(well as well as a 30 year old fool can bounce) up and finish out the race, but start getting all achey and crap. By the nxt morning, I can barely move. By Teusday, I'm bed ridden and writhing in pain.

Thankfully, the wife is an OT, and we're in tight with the local Chiro. The result is bruised cartilidge in the hip socket. Gonna take weeks to even start to feel better. At least I can walk with out a limp now, but riding is out of the question for the time being. :( No broken bones(never have), but I'll be getting an MRI(maybe, if insurance will cover it) to really make sure. I'd suggest NOT having this happen to you. It sucks. I've had kidney stones before, and they sucked, but it was only temporary pain. This pain is constant and worse.

donk

Cyburbian
Re: Bad Cycling related injuries?

martini said:
I know donk is out with a collarbone issue right now. I've had kidney stones before, and they sucked, but it was only temporary pain. This pain is constant and worse.

we must be long lost brothers. hip crashes, kidney stones, retro bikes that are actually big enough for the other person to ride....

Wulf9

Mike D. said:
So I'm working on starting a new team for next season, and was hit with the question last night..."Which bikes do you want? Orbea, Giant, or Fuji?"

In my small town, I would buy Giant because that's what our only bike shop sells. Keeping him in business is more important to me than a classy paint job.