• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Bicycle Thread

martini

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Bad Cycling related injuries?

donk said:
we must be long lost brothers. hip crashes, kidney stones, retro bikes that are actually big enough for the other person to ride....

Yeah, that is odd. I've got some brothers(not literal) here that all are roughly 6½' tall, and can all ride eachothers bikes. It's wierd.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Re: Bad Cycling related injuries?

Originally posted by martini
I've had kidney stones before, and they sucked, but it was only temporary pain.

been there.

donk

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
I wouldn't wish kidney stones on my worst enemy.

I would.

Especially considering the timing of when I had them and the related stress that contributed to the attack. (the big w)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
If you think kidney stones were bad
how about a Hernia
or
Blood Infection/Poisioning from a spider bite.

Jeff

Cyburbian
martini said:
Me either. That was NOT a fun week.

I almost crashed my truck driving to work with them (I thought it was just back pain when I left), had to get driven to the ER when I got into work.

donk

Cyburbian
Here is my kidney stone story.

I was doing the local business association party circuit for work for about 2 weeks, nearly every night drinking and eating really rich foods. I show up for work and figure I had a really bad hangover, but I can't leave because everyone knows where I was and what I was doing the night before.

I suffer it out for a few hours then go home.

I'm lying in bed when it decides to move, I decide this was not normal and get in the car to drive to the hospital. I get about 2 blocks from my house and blackout, I somehow backed my car home and called work to get me to the hospital.

Get to the hospital and just barely make it past triage before I decide the floor looks so cool and soothing, so I lie down on the tile floor and the next thing I remember was the threat of a catheter.

The only good things about it was that it got me out of a really nasty public hearing and it helped me lose some winter weight.

Back to bikes.

This is really cool. I friend emailed me this link.

This document was used as part of the Commonwealth Games bid used one of my photos. Page 87

Here is the original.

173DSCN0068.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff

Cyburbian
So who saw the 2004 TdF route announcement? If Jan don't beat up on LA Tyler is going to.

Stick to the charity rides Lance ;)

The Irish One

There was a time or two when I slept with my helmet on.

Jeff, you're killing me, I want LA to win the next Tour so bad! Not only to piss France off but all of "old Europe". What about the course makes you think the German will win?

donk

Cyburbian
It gets even tougher for LA now that he has lost Heras.

Personally, I think LA should do the classy thing and retire.

Also if he wants to prove he is one of the best riders ever he needs to do an hour record attempt.

Jeff

Cyburbian
The Irish One said:
What about the course makes you think the German will win?

The TT up Vetoux, the fact that he isn't going to be able to destroy the climbers in the ITT is going to make things alot more competitive in the mtns.

Plus...Jan actually has a team around him this year too,

martini

Cyburbian
I generally stop riding at about 20° unless its a really nice 15° with no wind. After that I just go snowshoeing in the ravines around here where it's protected from the elements.

donk

Cyburbian
I try to ride every month of the year, at least once outside.

For bad news, my politicing and work at the national level was not rewarded over the weekend with a seat on the BOD. No more free passes for the World Cup or other events. :(

BKM

Cyburbian
"off season" wimpery

I am a wimp. Anything below 60, I will ride only if I am going out with friends. :( Otherwise, I have another planning-nerd related activity that I like to do better during California's moderate, mild winters: I do these five hour "city hikes" in San Francisco (walking up and down staricase streets is actually a pretty good workout), Marin County, or the East Bay (I walked from Lakeshore Drive to way above "downtown" Piedmont in the rain the other week.

I like both acivities, and I can bring my dogs along on the city hikes or hikes in regional parks.

I almost felt guilty yesterday, since it was nice enough to ride. Probably got a better workout doing Sanchez Street staricases, though.

The only negative is that the activities don't fully translate. Still, I try to stay active even during the winter.

The real difficulty is getting enough exercise during the workweek. I just can't make myself go and do stairmasters or spin classes. Yuck.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Under 60 ?????????

If only I were so lucky. Here 20 degrees or ice is the cutoff, but we will then ride in the training room at my coaches shop. I'm riding in the basement now.

This is my new thing, trainer and internet. The mouse is a pain though.

5000 miles by March thats my goal.

Revised TdF prediction. Roberto Heras. Write it down.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
This whole riding in the winter and cold thing is all new to me but I plan on taking on the cold head on with the purchase of my new toy.

04AllezComp27_l.jpg

I can't wait. I've been waiting for this for a long time. This Sat. here in my town it will be in the 30's but sunny and dry so I hope to go out and give it a spin. I've purchased a bunch of cold weather clothes so there really is no excuse.

I'm so excited to get out I haven't been able to sleep the last couple nights.

donk

Cyburbian
Here is my latest aquisition

8f_1.JPG

Really cool, early 90's Mavic cranks. I figured the bidding would go alot higher than I was willing to pay. Now to get the matching BB.

If only I could afford an early 90's Derosa or Merckx in my size (60, 61 or 62).

BKM

Cyburbian
Under 60 ?????????

Its amazing how quickly the blood thins living out here (I'm a native Hoosier).

I still remember a ride I did one winter day in Peoria, Illinois during the starving student days. It started out ok, but by the time I got to the fringes of East Peoria, the temp had dropped by twenty degrees and it was starting to spit snow. I was completely broke, I started to bonk, and Peoria, strangely enough for Illinois, has some pretty good hills. So, I went into a Wendy's and scarfed some crackers from their condiments bar
:(

These days, I LIKE my off-season city hiking, so that's what I do now during the winter. It helps me avoid burnout/boredome, too.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Theres no shame in calling the wife to pick you up when its too cold or you've bonked. OK maybe it isn't something I'd tell you buddies about but.....

My wife is used to it. Every 3-4 months she has to pick me up somewhere b/c I can't turn the pedals any longer. I've gotten picked up less than 5 miles from my house before (I have a 1.25 mile 6-10% climb to get home though.)

donk

Cyburbian
The worst is having your buddies take off on you, finish the ride and then come back to pick you up. Yes it has happened to me before. (190k ride in may, it snowed and rained and I just about lost the will to live)

One of my favourite mountain bike rides was from my old house to a local microbrewery(60k off road ride), we had to get girlfriends and wives to pick us up a few times after "carbo loading".

Who is up for this challenge?
Drink beer, save cans, get bike.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Count me out, that is too crazy of a challenge.
I can enjoy riding with out spending that amount of $$$$ on a bike.

The Irish One

Yes, I'm sure pot enhanced his performance, idiots! They gave the olympic gold medal to the snow boarder guy and he was stoned the whole time, what's the deal?

donk

Cyburbian
The Irish One said:
Yes, I'm sure pot enhanced his performance, idiots! They gave the olympic gold medal to the snow boarder guy and he was stoned the whole time, what's the deal?

Its the BC bud, easy to get a contact high from. or So the smart ones claim.

Houseman is only a DH'er, who wants to be a cop. Tough career choices, dummy.

el Guapo

Capitalist
The Irish One said:

Is it just me, or did everyone else assume that all snowboarders where chronic stoners. So as a society which is always trying to be inclusive, why not let the tokers have their sport? They need uptight people to organize and run it of course.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I just bought a
Cycleops fluid trainer w/ a front tire stand.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Santacycle

Santa brought me a hi-viz Pearl Izumi shell jacket and their fleece-lined bib tights. It is quite possibly the most fabulous I have ever looked in my life. Nevertheless, when I hit 35mph on a downhill when it was 32F this morning I was toasty warm. Irish, I had your saddle bags with me.

Thanks Santa Su, Mom, Sis & IrishOne!

Jeff

Cyburbian
JNA said:
I just bought a

Ohhhhh .... I'm jealous. Santa 's bicycle related gift to me this year was bringing me home in one piece after frame cracked.

donk

Cyburbian
First set of holidays with no bike parts/ bike related items. Was kind of odd.

EG, you are hardcore, riding in the cold. I ended up not riding with my friends on Boxing Day, foot is still too swelled up to get into shoe with gortex socks on.

Jeff, what do you expect for riding aluminum. ;)

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
JNA said:

Which brings me to ask:

Resistance fluid trainer VS. roller trainer with resistance?

What do you think?? For many years I used a similar Cyclepos trainer and found it to be a good workout for the legs and lungs but didn't require much coordination and was just like riding a stationary bike (which I hate). I recently jumped onto a roller trainer with magnetic resistance and have found it to be much more challenging.

The rollers provide a mental workout because if you don't pay attention you'll ride off the edge of the 18 inch drum and end up through the picture window. It also provides a limited upper body workout because your using your whole body to balance.

When I first jumped onto the rollers I thougth I would hate it, In fact I fell off a couple time but I never gave up. It was very difficult but now I've got the hang of it and love it.

Have you ever used rollers? What do you think?

Jeff

Cyburbian
Rollers are definitly the way to go to keep your skills somewhat in check, but the Cyclops are so sweet now, and if you can hook it up to your PC and run workouts through that I think that is a plus.

And rollers takes up so much room.

donk

Cyburbian
I have only used rollers a half dozen times, when I was younger, and was never able to get the hang of them. (ie I fell off of them a lot).

I use a minoura magturbo for my winter riding. A bit loud, but it does the trick. I watch TV when I ride, it does not matter what is on as long as it is watchable. I've tried reading and just riding to music, but they don't do much for me.

If things had gone as they where to have, I probably would be riding this winter to a computrainer, but things did not.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Seen in today's (01-01-04) Louisville Courier-Journal
Gadgets & Gear by Linda Stahl
http://www.courier-journal.com/features/health/2004/01/hf-2-gadgear0101yoga-4091.html

Grounded by the Townie

Electra, For more information, go to www.electrabike.com.
a manufacturer of retro-inspired cruiser-style bicycles and bicycles for children, has a bike for the adult who is uncomfortable if he can't easily put his feet on the ground.

If other bikes have scared you from getting an aerobic workout through cycling, this may be the bike to give you the confidence to cycle.

what do you think about this?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Howdy Mr. Rednecker.

I had my freewheel go on me the other night while I was climbing a hill, in the cold with my cat eye lights providing my only source of visibility. That was a wild sensation. Peddling fast and falling faster. Luckily I was in a blue collar neighborhood in my tights, blaze yellow jacket and pushing my blinking bike. Comfy!

Why do the rednecker chevy truck driving guys hate us so?

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Wow, your freewheel went out! That sucks, how does that happen. SO you wiped-out?

The rednecks hate us cyclists, because they are rednecks and you can't put a gun rack on a bike or a dog in the back.

donk

Cyburbian
When freewheels/freehubs attack

The springs that hold the pawls in place just wear out over time. I go through a freehub body every year on the mtb and every 2 years on the road bike.

Scenario 1, automatic fixed gear bike, keep on pedalling.
Scenario 2 - pedal pedal pedal and hope it re -engages, when this one happens, jam something in the freewheel/cassette and fixed gear ride home.

EG, if i remember correctly, late 80's / early 90's durace has a weird thread/spline that is durace specific.

As for rednecks, one more sign you are a true cyclist, getting hazed by white trash.

With respect to rednecks, this site has a pretty good commentary on them and others that won't share the road. (some profanity mostly mtb stuff, but funny)

http://hellridersmtbc.com

el Guapo

Capitalist
Mountain Lion Kills Mountain Biker

1618369.jpg

On Thursday, four mountain bikers on a trail near Lake Forest in southern Orange County came across an abandoned mountain bike.

The group became alarmed and began to search for the missing person. While they were walking down a hill, a female biker was attacked by a mountain lion on her face and neck.

Shortly afterward, some of the searchers were able to locate the missing bicyclist, who had been mauled to death....

Read the rest of the story: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/2752128/detail.html

Rem

Cyburbian
Ouch. What sort of rugged (TM) Cyburbanite behaviour would be needed to kill this kitty?

LMAO, that looks a lot like Chet on the right.

I'm starting two weeks holidays this evening and that was just the laugh I needed to send me on my way. Thanks eG.

martini

Cyburbian
I'm on my way to purchaing this tasty item now.

2K4_Frame_MajorJake_650.jpg

It's a scandium framed Cyclocross bike(yeah yeah jeff, we know) that I'll be able to use for next season. It's at the shop now, I just have to sell one of my other bikes(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3652944037) to fully pay for it. I'll also be putting in a few hours at the shop building bikes to help pay it off too. Can any of you guys ehp out inthe sale? I'll get you a reward if you help out!