• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Bicycle Thread

el Guapo

Capitalist
I went on my first ride since the accident and boy am I out of shape. It was cold, windy and I had to get used to the bike all over again. My fitness level, handling skills, and general level of bike guy apptitude had badly eroded over these last five months. But it sure was glorious once I had a few miles down and started to warm up.

I love bicycling. :-D

zmanPLAN said:
I have friend who is VERY into biking, and he has been looking to help me get into it.
He even offered to help me build a bike, if we find the right parts, as for now, I think we'll vamp my mountain bike into some more capable on the roads.

Hey, I've been very happy with my 2003 Trek 1000. I bought it used with 73 miles on it for about 1/3 of what a new one cost. For some reason some people are only happy with the newest, lightest or fancyist bike. Me, I like to get to know a machine over a decade or two, especially a machine that takes me places.

My advice is find a good bike store that caters to the type of riding you like. Get to know one individual there really well. Then tell them you are in the market for a good used road bike. Ask them to fit you, and offer a 90 day free adjustment with the purchase price of the bike and then go ride. Expect to pay about 1/3 to half of what the bike cost new if it is a few years old. Expect to pay 1/4 to 1/3 if it is 5 or so years old. Expect to pay 1/8 to 1/4 if it is 10 years old. I have an 85 Raleigh that rides like a dream. Old bikes can be wonderful rides and save you a bundle. I paid $25 for it. The only improvement since 85 that it lacks is impulse shifters. Which I prefer over downtube shifters. But I don't prefer them for the $400 it would take to convert the Raleigh to that style.

Please also understand that bikes need constant adjustment to be a pleasure to ride and that adjustment is something you can do yourself quite easily.

Get this book: Effective Cycling <=== Best Cycling Book EVER!

And mybe this one: Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance

Happy Trails to you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabishop

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:
I was looking through it at lunch and MAN, everything is expensive... I guess it is for more serious/rich cyclists.

The serious cyclists may scoff but I got a Trek 7100 hybrid for about $280 and its just fine with me. I don't race or jump off cliffs, and I'm not savvy enough tell the difference between mine and a $2,000 model anyway. Besides, I don't like those skinny tires.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
It was just reported that Lance Armstrong will be riding the Tour de France this summer. An attempt a his 7th straight win.

zman

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:
It was just reported that Lance Armstrong will be riding the Tour de France this summer. An attempt a his 7th straight win.

Really I read he was doing a race in France in March, but still undecided about the Tour. That would be cool though.

On another note: The Girlfriend will be gone on Saturday. I am thinking of biking around, maybe the 10 miles to the local airport for some aircraft spotting... but it may snow and it will be 43f outside.

What should I do to layer?... also should I get some thermal biking pants... all my other ones are loose and I usually bike in shorts.

ZMan not wanted to be tangled in the gears...

The Irish One

The serious cyclists may scoff but I got a Trek 7100 hybrid for about $280 and its just fine with me. I don't race or jump off cliffs, and I'm not savvy enough tell the difference between mine and a $2,000 model anyway. Besides, I don't like those skinny tires.

Welcome to thhe club, I have a Trek 7300 Hybrid, very fun ride! Screw savy, have fun. :-D

el Guapo

Capitalist
zmanPLAN said:
Really I read he was doing a race in France in March, but still undecided about the Tour. That would be cool though.

On another note: The Girlfriend will be gone on Saturday. I am thinking of biking around, maybe the 10 miles to the local airport for some aircraft spotting... but it may snow and it will be 43f outside.

What should I do to layer?... also should I get some thermal biking pants... all my other ones are loose and I usually bike in shorts.

I like thermal bib overalls for 25 to 60F. Below 25 I wear them and insulated sports/jogging pants with a reflective ankle band that gathers the pants and keeps them out of the chain. Also layer your gloves, tape the front vents in your up with clear tape and leave one or two back vents open. An be preapred to adjust zippers based on body heat.

donk

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:

In response to the first part of your post, Lance has to "step up" and do the Classics or he will never be in the same light as some of the sport's greats. Just because he does Paris - Nice does not mean he'll win it, he'll probably be doing it for the fitness and to ProTour Points for his team

With respect with what to wear, here is what i wear at that temp

feet - long(knee high) wool dress socks next to skin, light cycling socks over them. Neoprene booties. if you don't have the booties, and are not expecting to get wet feet, bread bags in your shoes work ok.

Lower body. If windy or wet, gortex fronted tights over shorts. if dry and not too windy, knee and leg warmers with shorts.

Upper body, this is the only time I wear bib shorts. they keep your back warmer, sleeveless silk singlet, long sleeved lifa, short sleeved jersey, arm warmers, vest. Subsitute vest for jacket if it is going to be wet out. When wearing a long jacket I wear my armwarmers over the sleeves to make them easier to get on and off and prevent flapping.

Head
Sweatband
Homemade super thin polarfleece headband.
"Winterhelmet" Older Giro that has some of the vent holes duct taped to minimize wind and cooling.

Hands

Thin polypropolene gloves with cannondale lobster claw mittens or my xc ski gloves.

The best thing about winter cycling is that most of the clothes double as xc ski clothing.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Anybody want to rent some bikes and do a ride in San Francisco? Oh, please use a little more fashion sense. Bib overalls, lycra and bicycling shorts are not going to go over very well on the streets of San Fran... never mind.

zman

Cyburbian
donk said:
With respect with what to wear, here is what i wear at that temp

feet - long(knee high) wool dress socks next to skin, light cycling socks over them. Neoprene booties. if you don't have the booties, and are not expecting to get wet feet, bread bags in your shoes work ok.

Lower body. If windy or wet, gortex fronted tights over shorts. if dry and not too windy, knee and leg warmers with shorts.

Upper body, this is the only time I wear bib shorts. they keep your back warmer, sleeveless silk singlet, long sleeved lifa, short sleeved jersey, arm warmers, vest. Subsitute vest for jacket if it is going to be wet out. When wearing a long jacket I wear my armwarmers over the sleeves to make them easier to get on and off and prevent flapping.

Head
Sweatband
Homemade super thin polarfleece headband.
"Winterhelmet" Older Giro that has some of the vent holes duct taped to minimize wind and cooling.

Hands

Thin polypropolene gloves with cannondale lobster claw mittens or my xc ski gloves.

The best thing about winter cycling is that most of the clothes double as xc ski clothing.

As I will be cycling for the first time this weekend, the temp has been rasied to 56F in the forecast, still I will be ready.

I will take your advise, and were some wool socks under my shoes. (Just basic sneakers at this point, no cycling shoes)

I did buy some tights to wear under shorts at the REI winter sale for cheap last night, I may (if its colder than predicted) wear my thin ski pants liner too.

For the torso, I bought a Peal Izumi jacket (where the sleeves zip off into a vest if needed) for cheap at the same sale. Should be good for wind, and minor precipitation. Of which I will wear over some thin thermal shirts to stay warm.

I thought about wearing a touque under my helmet, but it shouldn't be that cold.

I expect to do some 14 miles (from my apartment to the airport parking lot) and back, if I feel good (keep in mind, this is the first ride) I may loop past our airport and reconnect south of my apartment.

I am very excited about this. Hitting the spinners at the rec center just isn't the same and it'll be good to do something productive for myself this weekend.

I'll tell you guys about it after it happens.

ZMan, itching to ride...

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Regarding bike racks.....there is a fourth type.....the "get by" classic.....

When it warms up I will get it up on the truck and snap a photo for all of the Cyburbian bike freaks/geeks to see.

I designed it about twenty (20) years ago. Made out of 2x4's and a little bit of rope. I can easily place it in the back of my Toyota pick-up. It has two (2) slots, each holding a single bike. All you do is lift the bike and place it in the slot. It is designed to hold the bikes straight up, with no tying down, etc.

I have been using this puppy for years and it is much better than laying the bikes down in the pick-up. It is has been to the Upper Peninsula many, many times, as part of my overall camping/fishing trip gear.

My guess is that I'm one (1) of the view residents of Cyburbia with a pick-up. The rest of you drive Volvos, with bobbing kitten heads in the back, right? ;-)

Bear Prepping For Oak Openings Bike Trails

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Bear Up North said:
My guess is that I'm one (1) of the view residents of Cyburbia with a pick-up. The rest of you drive Volvos, with bobbing kitten heads in the back, right? ;-)

You missed this thread

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
My guess is that I'm one (1) of the view residents of Cyburbia with a pick-up.

I have a truck and I have a couple of these mounted to a 2x4 in the back.

00_1616.jpg

Simply take off the front tire and mount it up. It works great.

zman

Cyburbian
Took my first ride of the year yesterday. It was pretty cold, I forgot gloves, but it ended up being quite warm. Well, the weather was warm then cold, then warm again (as it tends to do here in No. Colo.)

I ended up riding about a mile to our city trial, which for the northern 5 miles, rns along the lakes we have. After that fist mile; however, both my lungs andlegs were BURNING. I started to wonder what I was getting into, but I contiued, marking a "bailout" spot from the trail about 2 miles ahead.
The day fromten on turned into something GREAT. :-D I pedaled along, NO ONE else was out, and reaced my fist "bailout" spot, riding past it continuing down he trail. I ended up going the most of the way through town on the trail and finishing with a loop through righborhood streets back to my place. :-D

It felt great to finally get out and get a fairly decent ride in for the first time this year.

More to come....

Any other Cyburbian Bie Headz out this weekend?

JNL

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:
Any other Cyburbian Bie Headz out this weekend?

Yep! But I was riding in summer heat. Went out to Scorching Bay (pictured below) for some final triathlon preparation before this weekend.. yikes!! Rode 12km (7.5 miles) "around the bays". Riding into the wind at times was hard work! Going so slow I thought I'd fall over. But I kept going, and then the final stretch was sheltered so I raced back and passed a couple of people on the way :-D

801scorching1.jpg

This is the start and finish point for the tri. Swim here, cycle around the peninsula, then run, finishing back at this beach.

zman

Cyburbian
Commuting to work.

Before my driving commute balloons from 4 to 20 miles, I was thinking of riding to work. I will need to get a lock... well, my bike my fit in my cube though.
What you you guys do with your work clothes if you commute. Fold them neatly in a pack? Keep a set at work? What is the best way?

donk

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:
Before my driving commute balloons from 4 to 20 miles, I was thinking of riding to work. I will need to get a lock... well, my bike my fit in my cube though.
What you you guys do with your work clothes if you commute. Fold them neatly in a pack? Keep a set at work? What is the best way?

A suggested course of action, especially on a commute your length, is to drive once a week with your clothes and leave them in a locker.

With a commute of 20 miles, I'd be looking at getting a rack and panniers vs trying to ride with a pack, much more comfortable.

On locks, actually get 2, a cable/chain lock to attach the wheels to the frame and a U style lock to attach everything to the post. I'd also leave the locks at work, no need to carry that extra weight home.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
zmanPLAN said:

I typically will only ride when I don't have meetings - I have a good commuter pack that I can fold khakis and a golf shirt in without them getting wrinkled. I also have access to a closet/wardrobe where I can hang a couple of shirts/pants and I'll leave my office shoes in the office.

zman

Cyburbian
Thanks, Boys. Sounds like some good stuff to follow. Maybe I will try it this week!
But it is mighty cold in the mornings though....

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I just picked up a new pair of shoes this evening and just got done putting the cleates on them and putting my SPD pedles on my bike.

I'm hoping to ride to work tomorrow. :-D :)

81404ShoeProMountain_l.jpg

donk

Cyburbian
No riding for me for the next few weeks anyways, there is about 2 feet of snow on the side streets in my neighbourhood and it is really cold -10 c. I can't believe the tough guys that can ride in this weather, or the couriers who do.

My weekend will be spent "shaking babies and kissing hands" at the Toronto International Bike Show. Hopefully there will be some deals on road tires there

With the new job and the new indoor velodrome being built in London, looks like I'll be investing in a track bike this year. Can't wait until it opens in 2-3 weeks.www.forestcityvelodrome.ca. 147 metres of high speed fun. Like NASCAR, going to have to get used to turning left for hours at a time, and hopefully don't get too dizzy.

zmanPLAN the clothign desciption i provided was for riding in teh low 40's at 56 I'd not be wearing as much, but i do lik emy wool socks. look at defeet wooleators they are awesome.

zman

Cyburbian
I'm depressed. I was going to rent a road bike and ride for a while saturday morning. But I think I am getting sick :-@

Nothing but orange juice and vitamins for breakfast today.

So I think El Guapo has an old bike he got for cheap and fixed up? Is this a good way to go? I am probably going to look at garage sales and the used bike shop has some old Fuji road bikes that my friend and I could fix up cheaply.

I could also get a brand new entry level bike for $400, or one slightly used for $300-$500.

I think fixing an old one would be fun though, but would it be too heavy? I'm just going to use it for exercise and going to the beer store....

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
zmanPLAN said:
So I think El Guapo has an old bike he got for cheap and fixed up? Is this a good way to go? I am probably going to look at garage sales and the used bike shop has some old Fuji road bikes that my friend and I could fix up cheaply.

I could also get a brand new entry level bike for $400, or one slightly used for $300-$500.

I think fixing an old one would be fun though, but would it be too heavy? I'm just going to use it for exercise and going to the beer store....

I think most avid cyclists have a "beater" bike that they use of local errands/commuting.

I'm looking for a new bike - I have a longish commute and I'd like something better than just a beater to get my butt up the long hill at the end of the day. I will probably hang onto the old bike (if I don't give it to my brother) for shorter runs/errands. You don't want to be riding a bike on trips of that nature that may be likely to get stolen given half a chance.

zman

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I think most avid cyclists have a "beater" bike that they use of local errands/commuting.

I'm looking for a new bike - I have a longish commute and I'd like something better than just a beater to get my butt up the long hill at the end of the day. I will probably hang onto the old bike (if I don't give it to my brother) for shorter runs/errands. You don't want to be riding a bike on trips of that nature that may be likely to get stolen given half a chance.

So maybe for long, strenuous rides, I should get something newer and more capable for that?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
zmanPLAN said:
So maybe for long, strenuous rides, I should get something newer and more capable for that?

I would - especially if you are trying to maximize your performance and enjoyment. Not necessarily a new bike, but one suited to your needs (speed, endurance, etc.).

donk

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:

it all depends on what you want to do, how mechanically inclined you are and how much you actually enjoy working on bikes.

If it was me, I'd first look at new bikes in your price range, then go into the used section and see the differences in parts and see if their is enough of a difference to warrant elbow grease equity. Bike depreciate really quickly.

For longer rides vs tooling around the 'hood, I'd look at a different bike. Garage sale for the neighbourhood, good bike for the commute/long rides.

nuovorecord

Cyburbian
What a perfect weekend!

Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous riding weather - sunny and 65 degrees. My buddy and I did 45 miles in the West Hills of Portland. From several points, we could see six mountain peaks. It was one of those days that made me glad to be alive and cycling. :-D

Can't wait until next weekend!

The One

Cyburbian
well

zmanPLAN said:

You could tempt fate and splurge for the $74.98 Walmart mountain bike.....It's like playing russian roullete on a bike :-c But then again, I'm still riding my circa 1984 Murray Mountain Bike that has to weigh nearly 50Lbs :-c Amazing that it is still in one piece, god knows I tried to destroy it many times......although the new Continental Tires I put on it are flat flat flat.....I had 65Lbs (maxed out) of pressure in them before the hurricanes last year and forgot :r: to let some air out before the pressure dropped outside.....major blowouts :-c $50 for new tubes :-(

zman

Cyburbian
nuovorecord said:
Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous riding weather - sunny and 65 degrees. My buddy and I did 45 miles in the West Hills of Portland. From several points, we could see six mountain peaks. It was one of those days that made me glad to be alive and cycling. :-D

Can't wait until next weekend!

You're making me jealous. I was supposed to ride, but I was sick. :-@

On another note:
I will use my current mountain bike for commuting close-by (store, etc.) I will probably look at a road bike for long rides on the weekend, and if I choose to commute the 20 miles each way from my new house come summer.
Thanks for the advise guys.

BKM

Cyburbian
God I hate Bubba Toys

I remember when riding west of Fairfield was enjoyable. A beautiful country road climbing through an oak-shaded canyon with a little bit of elevation gain for the workout.

Now, thanks to 15 years of population growth and changing market preferences, the beautiful country road is ruined. It seems like EVERYONE either drives a large Suburban/Navigator OR drives a huge pickup truck. And, of course these macho idiots drive their monster trucks like they are sports cars (on narrow, windy roads, a Suburban is a scary thing to see barrelling towards you at 50 mph on a bicycle. Add in the stupid 22 years olds riding Japanese racing bikes in groups of 10 at 80 mph and the roving heards of hairy leather-clad Harley clones, and road riding isn't as much fun any more. I hate motorized Bubba Toys! :-@

According to Joel Kotkin, everyone will be moving to Boise and Reno, anyway. Maybe nerver ending rapid population growth (and even job growth) should be ofught against. Maybe the selfish no-growthers are right.

My rant of the week is now finished!

Edit: Nonetheless, it was a gorgeous day here, and not all of my 30 mile ride was marred by evil traffic.

I am seriously wishing I could just go automobile-free. As hypocritical as it may be, I increasingly believe that mass automobile ownership is destroying more than it benefits. Not that I would REALLY give up my Subaru :-$

The Irish One

Add in the stupid 22 years olds riding Japanese racing bikes in groups of 10 at 80 mph and the roving heards of hairy leather-clad Harley clones, and road riding isn't as much fun any more.

Whenever I ride up one of the local mountains I always see these kids in their leather oufits with their turbo Kawosaki flying around curves at ridiculous speeds. What more anoying is they make camp at the side of the road with cameras and photo each other coming around the curves. I witnessed a Harley rider fly over a gaurd rail on that same mountain.

Welcome to California.

am seriously wishing I could just go automobile-free.

Why don't you go car free for two or three days days a week, save a little money and you can be a cager part time.

BKM

Cyburbian
The Irish One said:
Whenever I ride up one of the local mountains I always see these kids in their leather oufits with their turbo Kawosaki flying around curves at ridiculous speeds. What more anoying is they make camp at the side of the road with cameras and photo each other coming around the curves. I witnessed a Harley rider fly over a gaurd rail on that same mountain.

Welcome to California.

Why don't you go car free for two or three days days a week, save a little money and you can be a cager part time.

A "cager"?

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
WOO HOO

I just got notification that my application has been one of the 500 applications approved to ride the DalMac.

It is my first long distance camping tour. It is 4 days and a total of around 350 miles from Lansing Michgian to St. Ignace.

I can't wait. My wife and I are 2 of 26 friends who are doing the ride. It is gonna be a lot of fun.

zman

Cyburbian
Sounds like a whole heap of fun, PBD.

I've been trying to bike to work, and I have everything ready for it, it just has been snowing and raining here... of course. :-@

BikePlanIt

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:
Thanks, Boys. Sounds like some good stuff to follow. Maybe I will try it this week!
But it is mighty cold in the mornings though....

Having the rack and panniers will let you take just about anything, and extra clothes at work are a requirement. (I regularly spill soda anyway.) I used to try to get to work just a few minutes before 8 to avoid the "rode to work today", "nice shorts"...questions. The city manager was impressed, saying he used to jog to work.

zman

Cyburbian
BikePlanIt said:
Having the rack and panniers will let you take just about anything, and extra clothes at work are a requirement. (I regularly spill soda anyway.) I used to try to get to work just a few minutes before 8 to avoid the "rode to work today", "nice shorts"...questions. The city manager was impressed, saying he used to jog to work.

Yeah I'd be coming in with the full pant tights :-o :-$ on, but I would probably go to the Muni. Rec center (next door to office) and shower up and change anyways.
I have just gotten up early the past couple of days to freezing drizzle and a lack of desire to ride in that, so I make some coffee and check out Sports Center.

The weather will let up soon though but by then I may have my 40 mile (RT) commute. :-c Which I am undecided on.

Would I be cheating if I drove part of the commute and then rode the rest? Say drive past all the 65mph+ farm roads to the regional trail.

donk

Cyburbian
Well, we had to cancel tomorrows season openr for bike racing. The Good Friday race has been held since the mid 50's and this is only the third time it has been cancelled. It snowed last night and they are calling for flurries and wind tonight and tomorrow.

Can't wait for it to warm up so I can try my new road shoes out.

And no, I won't be commuting the 30km by bike as there is no safe route to take. :(

Took my first utilitarian ride in busy traffic in almost 15 years, Was not too bad. The cars, buses and streetcars are easy to deal with, pedestrians on the other hand....

Beater bike needs some adjustments and then it will be ready to go. (lower seat, new cassette)

Debating going for a real road ride this afternoon across the bottom of the city on the bike path.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Weather forecast is looking good for this week, at least temperature wise. Hopefully get out for a quick ride at some point, but don't think I'll be riding into work just yet. Need to hook up with Donk and get that new commuter bike I've been angling for - after doing the taxes this weekend this looks like a go.

zman

Cyburbian
Well, I did a quick test ride this evening around the neighborhood. With temps in the 60s I will try to ride to work this week. Probably tomorrow. I am very excited and look forward to it. Now If only I can fold clothes right, so they won't wrinkle.
We'll try it though. ;-) :D

donk

Cyburbian
Got my first real road ride of the season in today, unfortunately, I forgot a few pieces of clothing and had to cut it short as my hands started to freeze. Also have to reset the cleats on my new shoes, had a bout of hot foot, not fun. Probably try to get a ride in tomorrow.
Gotta love government jobs.

zman

Cyburbian
Didn't Bonk!

The weather has been picky here of late, but I did manage to get a good ride in at lunch. Just a small 10 miles but it was good to get out.

My MTB was holding me back though. Darn beefy tires...

Maybe I will rent a roadie and see how it feels.

JNL

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Need to hook up with Donk and get that new commuter bike I've been angling for
Apologies if this has been covered before, but what is a commuter bike?

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:
With temps in the 60s I will try to ride to work this week.

I rode in to work today. It was great. now the winds have picked up and it is going to make for a longer and harder ride home.

zman

Cyburbian
A guy on BikeForums.net, PMed me and said he has a late 1990s Diamondback Peloton road bike he can sell me for $175. Would I be getting hosed?

Blue with with an aluminum frame. Mix of components Mostly Shimano 600 with 105 STI. It's 9 spd with 53/39 in front and an 11-25 (he thinks) cassette.

What do you guys think?

donk

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Apologies if this has been covered before, but what is a commuter bike?

A bike that is uised primarily to commute to and from work or other utilitarian functions. Many different categories, mine falls into the beater class, a bike that was once worth $$$$ but due to age and lack of care is not worth as much as it once was.

TP is looking for a mid end bike to ride to and from his house to his office downtown, his will fall into the good bike category.

Urban riding is fun. Not a great work out, due to starts and stops, but good for you nonetheless.

Rode to my favourite bakery (3 miles) down to Kensington Market for cheese and army surplus shorts, down to queen west for comics and to girl watch, then home. It is like living a video game and just plain fun. I almost want to get a fixed gear bike for the extra challenge.

Wulf9

Urban riding is good because you are using the bike as a real transportation mode. Riding to work, shopping, entertainment, etc. takes a different mindset than riding through some beautiful countryside.

I put fenders on my bike so I can ride to work when the road is wet and it is not raining too hard. It seemed so light when I first got it. Now it feels a bit heavy.

If I lose 10 pounds, I will have the equivalent of a 14 pound bike vs. the current combined weight.

zman

Cyburbian
Wulf9 said:
Urban riding is good because you are using the bike as a real transportation mode. Riding to work, shopping, entertainment, etc. takes a different mindset than riding through some beautiful countryside.

I put fenders on my bike so I can ride to work when the road is wet and it is not raining too hard. It seemed so light when I first got it. Now it feels a bit heavy.

If I lose 10 pounds, I will have the equivalent of a 14 pound bike vs. the current combined weight.

I second that. I have been commuting to work by bicycle a couple days so far. Urban riding is fun, especally since you are not in a car! ;-)
I have lost 2 pounds last week and hope to continue to ride one this blizzard clears up. (I just put slicks on my MTB for better commuting, so riding in snow may be a challenge).

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
As I mentioned some time ago, probably on this thread, this Bear has an older Myata 12-speed racing bike. Incredibly light and a ball to ride. Even though I am a big dude, I can literally climb walls with this puppy.

Because of the health issues I have not used the bike in a few years. If all goes well with my recovery I plan to be back on the paved bike trail by summertime, summertime, sum-sum summertime :8: :8: .

Great paved bike trails just a few miles from Chateau LeBear. Old railroad grades that go forever.....and they also hook into gravel paths in the giant Oak Openings Metropark.

Zoom zoom zoom......

Bear

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hauled the bike out of the garage for the first time this year, in anticipation of there being a transit strike this morning. Tooled around the 'hood for a few minutes, adjusted a few things and lubed the chain. Felt good.

Kinda glad the strike was averted though...still too bloody cold in the mornings for me to cycle - I only have warm weather cycling gear!

BKM

Cyburbian
Sacramento is one of America's best cycling towns (city limits, not so true of the horrific sprawl in the county :() One can ride from downtown Sacramento to Folsom Dam, a 39 mile ride, all on very well-maintained paved bicycle paths with only a couple of road crossings. This time of year, when California looks like Ireland, the riverside bicycle trail is particularly lovely. It's too bad I am so fat and out of shape that 50 (flat) miles wasn't as easy as it should be. Especially when you begin to realize that a croissant and coffee-with-milk four hours earlier was not really enough to do a long ride on :-$

Still, that was an excuse to visit Old Town Fair Oaks-a quirky little semi-rural community in the heart of the sprawl. Nice little Main Street and town square-with a flock of chickens wandering around the village. So, there is the constant sound of roosters crowing :)