• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

NEVERENDING ♾️ The NEVERENDING Bicycle Thread

donk

Cyburbian
A bit of a gloat, but needs to be said

One of the kids I helped identify and promote in the cycling community is lining up this week with Lance at the Tour of Georgia. Feel pretty good to know that because of some unpopular decisions I made 5 yars ago, a small, have not province has a kid racing with (not against, yet) some of the best in the world.

In my own riding news, cranked out a great 60 km yesterday. Spring has finally sprung here.

The Irish One

Especially when you begin to realize that a croissant and coffee-with-milk four hours earlier was not really enough to do a long ride on
BKM, you know nothing can replace freshly pressed flax seed oil right out of your kitchen.

Donk, you rock, that kid is getting the memory of a lifetime to ride with the great. I hope he knows who to thank!

zman

Cyburbian
:( My bike is in the infirmary and I have been depressed that I cannot ride it into work. :(

donk

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Guess what's up between el Guapo's bumcheeks lately! Hint :)

Guess they are as comfy as everyone claims?

After 16 years of arguing with my bike when I do repairs, I finally bought a repair stand last week. boy does it make changing cables and doing other work easy.

Next thing is I am actually going for a professional fitting after all these years of riding. :-$

zman

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
May you and I be blessed with such a good ending. :)

Thank you, Guapo! Now if only I can get off my a$$ and get a new chain for my ride, maybe I could have a go at it!

Wulf9

My daughter has two of 'em in her stable of bikes. I don't have the patience or ride the miles to break them in.

zman

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Get a good Park Tools chain tool and never be a "tool" of the Bike Store again! :)
I have a smaller tool similar to that, and guess what.... IT WORKED!!

I bought a basic new chain at my LBS last night and repaired it myself in my apartment. This thing is so smooth, it is amazing what a new chain can do for your ride. And the best part: it doesn't skip at all! Looks like Z Man is back on the train for commuting and couldn't be happier. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
814story_trike_bike_ap.jpg

The SHIFT has a single front wheel and two slim rear wheels that are initially splayed outward to stabilize and prevent the rider from toppling over.The Link

donk

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:
I have a smaller tool similar to that, and guess what.... IT WORKED!!

I bought a basic new chain at my LBS last night and repaired it myself in my apartment. This thing is so smooth, it is amazing what a new chain can do for your ride. And the best part: it doesn't skip at all! Looks like Z Man is back on the train for commuting and couldn't be happier. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Caution, if your old chain was really worn, your cassette (rear cogs) and chainrings may have been "cut" to the chain and may need to be erpalced. You'll find this out as soon as you put any pressure on the pedals. Might not skip in the drive way, but out on the road is totally different.

zman

Cyburbian
donk said:
Caution, if your old chain was really worn, your cassette (rear cogs) and chainrings may have been "cut" to the chain and may need to be erpalced. You'll find this out as soon as you put any pressure on the pedals. Might not skip in the drive way, but out on the road is totally different.

The cogs are a little worn, but I think my main problem was an old chain that didn't flex around around the derailluer cogs, and there would skip that way. I did ride for about 15 minutes last night around the 'hood, up hills, straights, and down hills. I even stood up and put weight on the pedals. Seems fine to me, but we'll see. This may have been a quick fix.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Warning: Do not try this at home!

That is insane. no chance of me doing that, not enought traffic here ;)

Caution the above link is a 8 minute mpg and will take a while to download.

BUT it is pretty cool. turn up the volume and enjoy.

mileage2762004

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:
The weather has been picky here of late, but I did manage to get a good ride in at lunch. Just a small 10 miles but it was good to get out.

My MTB was holding me back though. Darn beefy tires...

Maybe I will rent a roadie and see how it feels.

Go with a road bike, quieter, smoother, easier to ride.

Got a Trek 2120, Campy componants, carbon fiber frame, weights in at 18 pounds without all my junk (water bottles, etc.).

Hit 45 mph once, that was fast enough and never again. 20's is my usual rate.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Tranplanner has a new ride

Bought a Procycle "Energy" hybrid on Saturday. It's a discontinued model so I got a decent price for it. Rides a lot nicer than the old beast - rode into work today which was great.

Can't find a pic on the net...

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Pump up those tires and grab your messagner bag cause next week is

Bike-to-Work Week May 16-20

814Bike_to_work.jpg

Kiss your dependence on cars, gasoline, and traffic issues goodbye, and improve your health, your household, and maybe even the world at large at the same time!

Commuting by bike has a world of benefits including:

* A BETTER BODY - Ride your bike to work, and you no longer need to make time to exercise.

* MORE MONEY - The average annual price of keeping an automobile running: at least $3,000. The cost of running a bike for a year: less than $300. The joy of saving more than two grand this year: priceless.

* CLEAN AIR - Riding a bike is a simple way to improve the environment.

The Irish One

Bike to work week. I'm there! :)In 3 weeks I start my 14 day tour of California. Going to be lotsafun! :) Seriously, I can't freaking wait :D

Edit.

donk

Cyburbian
Guess i should do it at least one day next week. Only issue is trying to figure out a route. Figure it will take 1:30 minute minimum, through some pretty heavy traffic spots.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I've got a bum foot right now. Looks like a hairline stress fracture. Hurts like hell when I walk I'm hoping with a low-key weekend I will be able to get the two-wheeler out and ride in at least towards the end of the week.

mileage2762004

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay

Sorry to heard about the stress fracture. Hope it gets better soon. Had an accident with a car a few years back and had to ride home (about 8 miles) with a hairline fracture in my collarbone. Car pulled out about 10 feet in front of me and had to fly over the hood. Driver didn't even get out to ask if I was hurt.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Post your miles girly-men!

750 + miles since January 1.

My Trek has 1250+ on it. It might be time for a lube.

I want to hit 3000 by Thanksgiving Day 2005!

donk

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
750 + miles since January 1.

My Trek has 1250+ on it. It might be time for a lube.

I want to hit 3000 by Thanksgiving Day 2005!

Congrats on the milage. At this rate you will out ride me.

The weather here has not cooperated for riding. Goal this year is 3000km on the road by Octrober and 750km on the MTB.

JNL

Cyburbian
I bought a bike!!

Here's my new baby! I bought a Giant Boulder mtb on Saturday - very exciting! :) It's basically an entry-level bike, nothing too flash, but perfect for me just starting to get into a bit of cycling. I was looking at buying second-hand but the savings weren't that great, and I got a good deal on this one plus 4 free services, and a 5 year warranty on the frame. Took it for a BIG ride on Saturday afternoon (1.5hours?) and had a great time!

Details:
frame : aluxx alloy, fluidformed
forks : insync 323 1 1/8th ahead 70mm
components : shimano acera 8 speed
brakes : tektro alloy v-brakes
rims : alloy double wall w/brushed sides 36h

Attachments

• my baby.jpg
    my baby.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 131

el Guapo

Capitalist
JNL said:
Here's my new baby! I bought a Giant Boulder mtb on Saturday - very exciting! :) It's basically an entry-level bike, nothing too flash, but perfect for me just starting to get into a bit of cycling. I was looking at buying second-hand but the savings weren't that great, and I got a good deal on this one plus 4 free services, and a 5 year warranty on the frame. Took it for a BIG ride on Saturday afternoon (1.5hours?) and had a great time!

Details:
frame : aluxx alloy, fluidformed
forks : insync 323 1 1/8th ahead 70mm
components : shimano acera 8 speed
brakes : tektro alloy v-brakes
rims : alloy double wall w/brushed sides 36h

That's a might perty bike you have there. :) Welcome to the cult. Donk is our leader. :)

donk

Cyburbian
Welcome to the clube JNL.

Took my gf on her first 100 km ride. Weather did not really cooperate. The first 40k were pretty windy and hilly.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The Nationwide Ride of Silence.

I just found out about it.

Join cyclists nationwide in a silent slow-paced ride (max. 12 mph) in honor of those who have been injured or killed while cycling on America's public roadways.

http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php

zman

Cyburbian
JNL said:

Congrats on the purchase!!! And welcome to the clube... pretty soon you'll start dreaming that your are riding that bike...

On another bike related note. I began bike to work week this morning, but not fully prepared... I left my wallet at home, which was essential to getting into the City rec Center for a morning shower... Luckily the girl at the counter knew me, and I got cleaned up.
This was also the first morning I could wear shorts... supposed to be 80F today which should prove to be a nice ride home.. :-D

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
JNL said:
Here's my new baby!

Congrats on the new ride - are you going to put road tires on it?

Zman, you stole my warm weather - it's been bloody cold riding in the last week up here (4 degrees in the a.m.).

zman

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Zman, you stole my warm weather - it's been bloody cold riding in the last week up here (4 degrees in the a.m.).

Sorry Dude. We just now stole it. My rides have been in the 4 degrees (that's celsius) and that was cold. The first day I rode in 2005 was 20F (or -6C) THAT was a frosty one...!!!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Hey, JNL, your new bike looks kind of like mine! Mine's a GT Timberline, got it Saturday and have already spent almost more time on it than off. There's just nothing like a nice, properly-sized bike. A friend of mine has a Giant, and loves it. It's got probably 1000's of miles on it now. Here's my baby:

Attachments

• GT Timberline.jpg
    GT Timberline.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 113

mileage2762004

Cyburbian
Rode the Trek to work this morning, short ride about 3/4 mile. Didn't even rasie a sweat.

Plan on riding farther going home. Packed in short and jersey for the ride home.

Not a lot of traffic at 6:00 so to problem coming in. We'll see about the p.m. ride.

Anybody have any adventures on riding in this morning?

zman

Cyburbian
The Irish One said:
I'm in my pretour ride stage so, as I get closer to touring, I do more hills. Every morning I do a nice hill before work.

I was thinking I should do some more hills on the commute. There are two gradual ones each way and I feel maybe there should be more of a challenge for me if I wish to improve and grow as a cyclist.
I do move in three weeks and have been thinking of doing a part drive/part bike commute on a really good route out of Fort Collins.
Would I be cheating as a bike commuter if I drove part of the way? There would be some good hills and more miles under my belt to help improve my cycling. But I still feel I would be cheating, but I also don't want to ride 20 miles each way. (Well I do, but the time it would take, with work and house responsibilites would be too much for me)

zman

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
If I could eliminate the hills on my commute, I would. I hate them.

And you're even closer to sea level... you may HATE ours.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
zmanPLAN said:
And you're even closer to sea level... you may HATE ours.

It's not the effort that I hate, it's the time it takes when I'm on my way home from work. At least it's all downhill (literally and figuratively) in the mornings...

zman

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
It's not the effort that I hate, it's the time it takes when I'm on my way home from work. At least it's all downhill (literally and figuratively) in the mornings...
I apologize, Kind Sir. I misunderstood. I would also agree with your stance regarding the time it takes... I'd rather get home quicker than get to work quicker.

JNL

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Congrats on the new ride - are you going to put road tires on it?
It came with quite good combination tyres - knobblies not too big, and a centre line of tread for road contact. So I'll see how they work out.

Now I just need some nice weather! :(

donk

Cyburbian
How wrong is it that i drive 30-40 minutes to be able to go for a good road ride? :-$

I just can't face taking up half of my ride time to get out of the city.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
donk said:
How wrong is it that i drive 30-40 minutes to be able to go for a good road ride? :-$

Early in the season i often drive the 7 miles or so to do the back portion of my favorite ride.

zman

Cyburbian
donk said:

From my new house, I'll have to drive about 4-5 miles to get to the regional trial. Unless I want to ride farm roads with speeding rednecks and wide tractors.