The NEVERENDING Dating Thread

I could be wrong, but I think WYP is referencing his dislike of reading, and therefore posting, in the political discussion thread, not an actual technical glitch in posting.
I can't post anything political on company time. Since I work in local government, I try to keep political stuff off of social media in general. Basically, I keep my views to myself or trusted friends and family.

I posted what I did here because that is literarily what I did. I went to the gfs place and had a dinner she prepared. I also spent time with her. I got my first ever manicure, thanks to her. I think it was also an exercise in building trust in the relationship. If that was her goal, she succeeded.

In keeping with the topic, I need to get my act together and come up with a gift and something to do for St. V's day. I am badly out of practice in this area.

Last edited:
I have retired from online dating. I either meet someone the old fashioned way or not at all. The Xer in me longs for the 80s and 90s.
Yeah, as a fellow Exer, online dating sucks. You never know what's real. Plus, unless they are local, somebody is going to have to move or work from home, if the relationship gets serious. Long distance relationships rarely last and present a plethora of problems. It's one of the things that killed the relationship with the ex. Nothing beats face-to-face contact. Nothing replaces the cues you get from body language, voice, etc. As a poet and writer, it's too easy to hide behind words.

Yeah, as a fellow Exer, online dating sucks. You never know what's real. Plus, unless they are local, somebody is going to have to move or work from home, if the relationship gets serious. Long distance relationships rarely last and present a plethora of problems. It's one of the things that killed the relationship with the ex. Nothing beats face-to-face contact. Nothing replaces the cues you get from body language, voice, etc. As a poet and writer, it's too easy to hide behind words.
I recently met someone on POF. She lives around 90 minutes from me. We did a bunch of texting and even talked on the phone for several hours. We were supposed to meet tonight, but Iowa bein Iowa we are having 6" of snow so we had to cancel. Because of circumstances I would not actually get to meet her for 3 more weeks so I said I don't want to chat anymore until me meet. She did not like that, and long story short, that was the end of it. So I am not doing that again. Will have to live with the limitations of a small town

I recently met someone on POF. She lives around 90 minutes from me. We did a bunch of texting and even talked on the phone for several hours. We were supposed to meet tonight, but Iowa bein Iowa we are having 6" of snow so we had to cancel. Because of circumstances I would not actually get to meet her for 3 more weeks so I said I don't want to chat anymore until me meet. She did not like that, and long story short, that was the end of it. So I am not doing that again. Will have to live with the limitations of a small town
Yeah, that does suck. Hang in there

Yeah, as a fellow Exer, online dating sucks.
Online dating is completely stacked against men. Unless you're Zac Efron or some other male Adonis, you're screwed. My ex basically replaced me within 2 months using Bumble. I'd been on that site for like a freaking YEAR and haven't gotten shit. I'm not an ugly dude, I'm about average, but it just doesn't work.

I recently met someone on POF.
And POF is easily the worst of the bunch. I actually PAID for a POF subscription. It's 99% bots, and POF doesn't filter them out fast enough so they can last on the site for hours, even days, before they disappear.

TBH, dating in general is a scam. I'm done with it. If I meet someone, fine, if I don't, fine. Who cares? I'm not actively searching anymore, there's no point.

Online dating is completely stacked against men. Unless you're Zac Efron or some other male Adonis, you're screwed. My ex basically replaced me within 2 months using Bumble. I'd been on that site for like a freaking YEAR and haven't gotten shit. I'm not an ugly dude, I'm about average, but it just doesn't work.

And POF is easily the worst of the bunch. I actually PAID for a POF subscription. It's 99% bots, and POF doesn't filter them out fast enough so they can last on the site for hours, even days, before they disappear.

TBH, dating in general is a scam. I'm done with it. If I meet someone, fine, if I don't, fine. Who cares? I'm not actively searching anymore, there's no point.
I dont think it works for most women either to be fair. For different reasons. I would say that 20% of the women are getting 80% of the messages. I think its just real hard to get a feel for someone in online dating. I wish they had those speed dating things in my area. 10 minutes of face to face talk would tell me a whole lot. I have some female friends I am going to ask for help, use my actual network of people and see if they know someone. It can't be any worse.

All y'all might want to try Match.com; I know of two couples for whom it worked.

One couple just got married last summer -- they met on Match. At the time they lived 45 minutes apart.

Another golden age couple, both widowed, met there.
"We also found a couple more areas where we match. We both love doing crossword puzzles, which I didn't know. He's been quite competitive about it with me in a fun way since I've been doing them all along & am pretty quick, but he got away from doing them over the past three years since losing his wife. He enjoyed doing them again. In chatting today, we discovered that we both love words & writing (he's a sensitive poet) & we both have a background in journalism. We both enjoyed talking, visiting, sharing about our families, talking about pretty much anything. He feels like a comfortable old friend. I can't believe match.com worked this way."

Special interests: I know a couple who met through J-date. He was in Chicago, she's in Grand Rapids.

I dont think it works for most women either to be fair. For different reasons. I would say that 20% of the women are getting 80% of the messages. I think its just real hard to get a feel for someone in online dating. I wish they had those speed dating things in my area. 10 minutes of face to face talk would tell me a whole lot. I have some female friends I am going to ask for help, use my actual network of people and see if they know someone. It can't be any worse.
I'd suggest this, too. I set a friend up with CCG's brother. I don't think it went anywhere ('cause I refuse to press the issue with either of them), but they're both quality people that had the essentials in common and we at least all had fun hanging out together for an afternoon. Check with your married male friends, too - their wives may have some good friends that would be open to being set up.

All this reminds of an "ahem" interesting soul. It was purely online. I kept at it simply because of the train wreck aspect of it all. She would send me stuff in messages I severely doubt she would say to me face-to-face.:oops: This was while I was in church.

In the cold comfort for change category, I'd forgotten how expensive Singles Awareness/Valentines Day is. :oops::rolleyes:

Last edited:
All y'all might want to try Match.com; I know of two couples for whom it worked.

One couple just got married last summer -- they met on Match. At the time they lived 45 minutes apart.

Another golden age couple, both widowed, met there.
"We also found a couple more areas where we match. We both love doing crossword puzzles, which I didn't know. He's been quite competitive about it with me in a fun way since I've been doing them all along & am pretty quick, but he got away from doing them over the past three years since losing his wife. He enjoyed doing them again. In chatting today, we discovered that we both love words & writing (he's a sensitive poet) & we both have a background in journalism. We both enjoyed talking, visiting, sharing about our families, talking about pretty much anything. He feels like a comfortable old friend. I can't believe match.com worked this way."

Special interests: I know a couple who met through J-date. He was in Chicago, she's in Grand Rapids.
I tried Match for 3 months. They do at least filter out bots and fakes and the quality of people there was generally better. However I have the same problem; I get perhaps a 5-10% response rate and never got a real date out of it.

I have often wondered who I may be missing out on because I didn't like their 2 dimensional picture on a website. I also feel that I do a lot better with someone in person. I had one woman who I met online tell me that "You are better looking in person". Lol.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
My fiance and I met on OKCupid and two friends who just got married met on POF but we joke that we are outliers.
My GF and I also met on OkCupid. She has so far survived my mom's month long stay so I guess she is a keeper at this point:shrug:.

Out of the sites I tried, I actually got the most dates out of coffee meets bagel. To boot, they were all quality ladies.

I tried Match for 3 months. They do at least filter out bots and fakes and the quality of people there was generally better. However I have the same problem; I get perhaps a 5-10% response rate and never got a real date out of it.

I have often wondered who I may be missing out on because I didn't like their 2 dimensional picture on a website. I also feel that I do a lot better with someone in person. I had one woman who I met online tell me that "You are better looking in person". Lol.
I tried Christian Mingle with decidedly mixed results. About a year ago, the gf and I took a break. I met a local on POF and we chatted. She kept dragging her feet about meeting. The gf decided the break was long enough- a whole week or two-and decided to get back together.

Once I was on pain meds for a torn muscle in my back. A contact with POF decided she wanted to meet up. I was feeling no pain and was very relaxed, so I decided what the heck. We had an interesting 2-3 hour date. She never called me back.:roflmao::ha:o_O

Last edited:
I am fine being single. I was with someone for 20 years, married for 16 of them. It took me a while to be OK with being on my own again, but once I adjusted I am good with it. I like my me time. I am not going to rush into anything. It has to be the right person. I am going to be discerning and not settle.

You all make me glad I met my wife the old fashioned way. In a bar where my friends dared me to pick up on the hot chicks after I already had a pitcher of beer. I didn't have the best wing man, but he came in just in time before I lost altitude and crashed.