• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Rant 🗣 The NEVERENDING Dealing With a Bad Zoning Code Thread

DVD

Cyburbian
Just bitchin about work. We seem to have a lot of unwritten interpretations to handle a bad zoning code that no one is willing to start fixing. My latest problem...industrial zone says provide extra screening for residence districts. We have no clear definition of residence districts. In most cases I would take the R1-20 categories. In this case we have a specific section entitled "residence districts" and it precedes to tell you that it applies to section 6-10 or whatever code number. Basically all our small lot housing districts. What it misses are the residential estate zones that are larger lot and we have two S zones that are basically agricultural. My argument is that S zones are not residence districts because that one code section specifically defines it and S is not included. Apparently I'm wrong. So now some poor car repair place needs to move their building 30' because of a well site zoned S. The other side of the argument is that the S zone is listed as an "agricultural residential" district. I would normally take the term, but you specifically defined it.

Long rant short, someone fix the damn codes.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
After seeing one too many gawdawful codes, I'm thinking about writing a Cyburbia Checklist for Good Zoning Codes. Basically, a checklist that can serve as a quick-and-dirty do-it-yourself zoning code evaluation or diagnostic report.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Just bitchin about work. We seem to have a lot of unwritten interpretations to handle a bad zoning code that no one is willing to start fixing. My latest problem...industrial zone says provide extra screening for residence districts. We have no clear definition of residence districts. In most cases I would take the R1-20 categories. In this case we have a specific section entitled "residence districts" and it precedes to tell you that it applies to section 6-10 or whatever code number. Basically all our small lot housing districts. What it misses are the residential estate zones that are larger lot and we have two S zones that are basically agricultural. My argument is that S zones are not residence districts because that one code section specifically defines it and S is not included. Apparently I'm wrong. So now some poor car repair place needs to move their building 30' because of a well site zoned S. The other side of the argument is that the S zone is listed as an "agricultural residential" district. I would normally take the term, but you specifically defined it.

Long rant short, someone fix the damn codes.
That was the situation when I started at my current job. The Zoning Code was terrible and they had been working on a total replacement for 7 years with two different consultants. Seeing the crap that was getting through, I pushed the consultant and we got it done. Unfortunately there is still a bunch of stuff that was still in there that didn't meet the intent or direction of where we wanted to go. So we now have several amendments that are being spread out over the next couple of years due to the political limitations of a massive text amendment session.

the_girl

After seeing one too many gawdawful codes, I'm thinking about writing a Cyburbia Checklist for Good Zoning Codes. Basically, a checklist that can serve as a quick-and-dirty do-it-yourself zoning code evaluation or diagnostic report.
i support this and can help!