• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Friday wrist check

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Okay, watch geeks, it's time to show us what's on your wrist today.

Today, on Casual Friday when I can wear something without buttoned sleeves, it's a big, blingy Zodiac.

Yeah, I have to adjust the date.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
At the moment… I have nothing on my wrist. The talk about watches in the other thread made me break out my Skagen that I bought in Sint Maarten on my honeymoon. I need to have the battery replaced and the little line where the one would be, got loose and fell off and needs to be reinstalled. Only problem is that it is a screw-off back so I need to take it someone to fix it. Thus far it is a bit more than I want to spend right now.

rcgplanner

Cyburbian
Very nice watch Dan! I love the silver face on it. I am wearing my Pulsar that I bought last week, with pictures on the watch thread. I already have my eye on a used Orient Metro, but we will see if the funds shake out. :)

Midori

Cyburbian
My wrists are naked. All my watches are either broken or have dead batteries. But not both. They always seem to break right AFTER I replace the battery.

Planit

Cyburbian
I stopped wearing a watch about 7 years ago. The buckle on the band always hit on the corner of the desk as I was typing on the computer so I always took it off when I got to work and then stopped wearing it all together. I do have 4 great watches and generally wear one of them on Sunday mornings.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
BandAid 1 x 3 1/4 - still covering the skin cancer excision.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Let's bump this and make it an every Friday occurrence!

It's Tuna time here in Metro Detroit:

an older photo:

The watch is sort of a grail among Seiko enthusiasts and somewhat difficult to get here in the states. It's definitely one of the more interesting watches in my collection and it's relatively large but, because of the lug placement, still fits nicely under the cuff of a dress shirt.

dw914er

Cyburbian
This thread needs a bump :)

In spirit of the heavy rain in California today, I am wearing my Seiko diver on a nato strap.

AG74683

Cyburbian

Really like this watch. Claiborne is the mens line of the Liz Claiborne fame.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
These watches are nice. I have on a green and white Rainbow Loom bracelet that my son made for me (those little rubber bands that the kids are into these days). :p Not quite as classy.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Like dw914er, it's a Seiko diver kind of day here with the MarineMaster 300... something about that name spoke to me.

This thread needs a bump :)

In spirit of the heavy rain in California today, I am wearing my Seiko diver on a nato strap...
That SKX007 was my gateway Seiko... and I too generally wear mine on a NATO these days too (mine's a rather dull black and grey one).

AG74683

Cyburbian
Wow! So many watches and only one digital. I'm impressed.

Analog Rules!
I hate that watch so much. I have a combo analog/digital that I really like but the strap broke and I haven't replaced it yet.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
My favorite watch. Just a Timex Expedition chronograph with a flieger-like dial. I replaced the nylon band with a leather strap. This watch gets the most complements of anything I wear.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Rad I like that Fossil. It has an old-school 1990s look, but a contemporary size.

RJ: Wegners are awesome.

This Friday ... a Casio, you say? How proletarian. Still, I bought one of these diving watches for a buddy for Christmas; he previously had nothing but digitals (G-Shocks and the like), and is starting to have a hard time seeing their displays. He works with boilers, and his watches tend to take a beating. He loves it. I liked it too, so I got one for myself this week. It's solid, it has a screw down cap, the second hand strikes exactly on mark, and the bezel rotates easily, yet still with a satisfying click. The band feels cheap, so it'll probably be replaced with a NATO strap.

Today, I have to give it the gym hot tub, sauna and steam room test. The Luminox and Seiko both pass with flying colors, and I have no doubt this humble Casio will join them. This still hasn't satisfied my craving for an Orange Monster, though. ;)

AG74683

Cyburbian
No need to put up my picture this Friday. Just my crappy digital Ironman. I am ordering a watch press tonight so I can replace the battery in my nice Kenneth Cole myself.

As an aside, what kind of keyboard is that Dan? Looks nifty.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
This Friday ... a Casio, you say? How proletarian. Still, I bought one of these diving watches for a buddy for Christmas; he previously had nothing but digitals (G-Shocks and the like), and is starting to have a hard time seeing their displays. He works with boilers, and his watches tend to take a beating. He loves it. I liked it too, so I got one for myself this week. It's solid, it has a screw down cap, the second hand strikes exactly on mark, and the bezel rotates easily, yet still with a satisfying click. The band feels cheap, so it'll probably be replaced with a NATO strap.

Today, I have to give it the gym hot tub, sauna and steam room test. The Luminox and Seiko both pass with flying colors, and I have no doubt this humble Casio will join them. This still hasn't satisfied my craving for an Orange Monster, though. ;)
That Casio is pretty cool - I like that the face is very free of clutter. I didn't even know Casio made divers.

Speaking of Orange Monsters...

Ok, the day and date on the watch face give away that I didn't really wear it today, but I do indeed love it and was considering wearing it this morning but I am also wearing navy and red socks and didn't want the orange face of my watch to clash with the deep red in my socks. #FirstWorldProblems I'm wearing the same MarineMaster today that I had on last Friday so no need to take a picture of that. I'm trying to decide what watch to wear when I go to Florida next week for lounging poolside and at the beach. It will probably be the Tuna, the MarineMaster, the Orange Monster, or the U1. My daughter loves the Orange Monster and I enjoy that she always notices when I am wearing it but I haven't been able to take the MM300 off of my wrist lately so it may win out, but I'll probably throw it on a rubber strap or NATO for the trip.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
No need to put up my picture this Friday. Just my crappy digital Ironman. I am ordering a watch press tonight so I can replace the battery in my nice Kenneth Cole myself.

I don't think you should need a watch press in order to replace the battery. The press is generally used to replace the crystal and make sure it's seeded down securely. To replace a battery, you will likely need a watch case back opener.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Going to the Dermatologist for follow up on the skin cancer excision spot on my wrist.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[ot]

Max Nighthawk X8, green LEDs, Cherry MX brown switches. Mechanical keyboards forever! (It's my own personal keyboard.)[/ot]

AG74683

Cyburbian
I don't think you should need a watch press in order to replace the battery. The press is generally used to replace the crystal and make sure it's seeded down securely. To replace a battery, you will likely need a watch case back opener.
The back is a press fit. I can get it off easy enough, but you can't get it back in without the press. In the end, I need to replace the front crystal on that watch anyways.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I could use a winder.
I bought a winder last fall and used it regularly for about a month. I don't think I've turned it on since then. It started out nice and quiet but now when it starts winding it makes an audible whirring noise. I could just move it into the guest room or the den but I just stopped using it and now I just adjust the watch in the morning if I haven't worn it in a while. Sometimes I'll wear a different watch during the day than I do in the evening which also helps to keep more of them wound.

My advice: if you are going to get an automatic winder, do your research and don't skimp.

dw914er

Cyburbian
My Citizen Nighthawk chronograph to end the week.

I realized that photobucket mobile defaults to rather large size.. does anyone know how to change that?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
My Citizen Nighthawk chronograph to end the week.
Sweet watch! EcoDrives don't get as much love as they should.

Remember that Casio? Thought I'd give in to the hype, and try it out on a NATO strap.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
And today.

It's a Golana, a little known "Swiss" brand. I like the train station clock-look of the face. The band is attractive and solid, but on the uncomfortable side. The screw down crowns say "tool watch", but otherwise the design isn't really "rugged", so finding a strap that pairs well could be a challenge. The second hand doesn't strike the marks, which bothers me a bit.

The One

Cyburbian
Ok.....

Here is my contribution to this thread.....which up until now should be called Crappy Watches that Planners Wear Poorly :-x:lmao:;)

dw914er

Cyburbian
Sweet watch! EcoDrives don't get as much love as they should.
Thanks! It is a good watch. The non-chrono version is pretty nice as well.

And today.

It's a Golana, a little known "Swiss" brand. I like the train station clock-look of the face. The band is attractive and solid, but on the uncomfortable side. The screw down crowns say "tool watch", but otherwise the design isn't really "rugged", so finding a strap that pairs well could be a challenge. The second hand doesn't strike the marks, which bothers me a bit.
Sweet watch! The railway clock look is really nice and simple; I'll have to post my Mondaine next week.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I love that Mako Dan. If I didn't already have an Orange Monster, that would be near the top of my list. Orient provides such great value and some beautiful designs.

A little bit of real steel for me today with the Sinn U1:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
It came from Penney's and I believe it's called a 'Verona'

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
A co-worker recently returned from a trip to Japan for work and I convinced him to do some shopping for me while he was there:

The Seiko Sumo SBDC003, aka the "Blumo" for its blue face (it's also available in orange and black).

I had had my eye on it for a couple of years but was always apprehensive because of the difficulty of finding it new in the U.S. and the expense of having to return it (or taking a loss on the second-hand market) if I didn't like the way it fit in person. I asked my coworker to look for one for me and he found it at a shop right near his hotel. I saved about $150 thanks to avoiding duties, import/brokerage fees, and a much lower markup than the few U.S. retailers who carry it.