• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Gas Price Thread

Planit

Cyburbian
Holding steady this week @ $1.99 at the normal stop.

However I have to use premium and that's $2.49 right now.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Paid $1.99/gal earlier this week. Just in time for a trip to Cleveland.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I saw the nearby station had it priced at $2.459. Not sure why we're so damn high ...8-!

kms

Cyburbian
I think I paid $2.52 the other day. High taxes and summer blend increase for air quality. I don't ever remember the price going down after September after summer blend expires.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Over the weekend I paid $2.89 in Connecticut, $2.19 in Massachussetts, $2.24 in Pennsylvania and then $2.17 back in Maryland.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We've been bouncing back and forth between the upper $2.40s and lower $2.60s. Seems like the Cheeto-in-Charge rattles the market for a few days and the price goes up. When nothing happens, it slowly settles back down. Rinse and repeat.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Will be interesting to see how much Hurricane Harvey effects prices.

Planit

Cyburbian
Starting to see the rise in prices - the station near me went up to $2.35 (that's a 28 cent rise since last week).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The local newspaper said it was going to jump the prices because the refineries are in the path of the hurricane.
Why is it areas with lots of refineries seem to be as prone to natural disasters as area in the middle east are prone to war?

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Hovering around 2.75 at my local station. The place that fixes my Legacy has it at 2.37 though, I fill up there.

Jersey low is around 2.17 right now, with 2.20 being average. It no longer makes sense to go to NJ to get gas. Thanks Chris Christie.

Montreal averaging 1.17/litre right now. I saw someone on insta post 99 cent/litre station somewhere in Ontario the other day, in the Ottawa area. Im driving to Montreal this weekend and dont plan on paying for expensive Canadian gas while im up there - the last station in New York is at 2.48/gallon which is still way cheaper than the $4+ gallon when you convert your fill up at $1.20 a litre back to gallons.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Why is it areas with lots of refineries seem to be as prone to natural disasters as area in the middle east are prone to war?
I'm sure there are nice, long scientific explanations behind this. However, I also think that it's a nice bit of Universal irony.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Our local gas went up 22 cents in the last two days (from $2.17 to 2.39) and they're saying gas stations may run out. #ThanksHarvey.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Our local gas went up 22 cents in the last two days (from $2.17 to 2.39) and they're saying gas stations may run out. #ThanksHarvey.
The timing on the Harvey disaster is most unfortunate. There's never a good time for a catastrophic hurricane, but the entire country will be feeling the pinch at the pump right at Labor Day and that will impact the tourism industry across the board.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Yep. Mrs. Doohickie and I have a road trip planned this weekend. Local reports say that some gas stations are already out of gas. In my neighborhood that doesn't seem to be the case. I think there are one or two areas were a QT or Race Trac ran out of gas, then everyone flocks over to the next one in a panic and drains it dry and they fall like dominoes. Just to be safe I filled up this morning and there seemed to be plenty of gas and no lines.

Planit

Cyburbian
The same thing happened when Katrina hit too.

We both filled up on Monday but that was by need and not design. I'm thinking of topping off this evening. We are going out of town for Sunday only which will take a tank of gas.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
To get it back on topic, the 7-11 where I filled up had gas for $2.399, up from $2.179 a few days ago. The QT up by the interstate was already up to $2.499. I've heard rumors at work that prices are up to about $3 per gallon in some areas.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
To get it back on topic, the 7-11 where I filled up had gas for $2.399, up from $2.179 a few days ago. The QT up by the interstate was already up to $2.499. I've heard rumors at work that prices are up to about $3 per gallon in some areas.
Now all the 7-11s are out of gas.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Stores around me are out of gas, but not putting up a sign that says so. You find out by driving in to the pump islands and seeing the plastic sleeves covering the pump dispenser.

I drive a hybrid. I usually only gas up every 10 days or so. I went ahead and gassed up the other morning, and the lines weren't forming yet. Now, however, you can tell who has gas by the lines, sometimes extending into the streets.

This morning I saw $2.39 in my neighborhood, and $2.49 along the highway.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
On my way to work this morning:

$2.05 at the first corner

$2.09 at the next corner

$2.24 near work

$2.29 at station closest to work

I think I'll stick to buying gas on my side of the metroplex.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Noticed at lunch a station with gas at $2.99! Looks like we've reached that all-important $3 psychological barrier once again. It was a few years coming but it's returned . :-|

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We've been hovering between $2.959 and $2.999 for regular for about the last week. I'm surprised we haven't seen the annual Derby price bump yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see $3.399 or so for the weekend.:-@

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The usual Memorial Day profiteering. price dropped 20 cents/gallon between Friday and this morning.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
The usual Memorial Day profiteering. price dropped 20 cents/gallon between Friday and this morning.

Yep. It hit $2.999 in the Toledo area at many stations around Wednesday, but has dropped by more than 20 cents at some stations since. I paid $2.77 (actually $2.27 after rewards) today.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
It's nice to have a car that only needs 5 gallons of gas per week. I have no idea what I pay for gas, and I don't care.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's nice to have a car that only needs 5 gallons of gas per week. I have no idea what I pay for gas, and I don't care.
I use more than that, but you pay because what else am I going to do? I paid 2.85/gal the other day.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
With my recent move, I'm freeway close to everything- I don't have to go through any traffic lights between my house and the freeway entrance. Because of that it's just a couple of blocks and then acceleration to freeway speed, where the car is very efficient.