• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Gas Price Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
With my Kroger points, I paid $1.19/gallon today.

That is the lowest I have paid for a gallon of gas going back to at least 19 February 2007. Without my Kroger points, the price would have been $1.89/gallon which would be the lowest since 13 March 2009.

(We rarely ever use our Kroger points since they don't really have a station convenient to our house)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I thinks it's $1.95 or something like that. It was $1.89 a few weeks ago.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
With my Kroger points, I paid $1.19/gallon today.

That is the lowest I have paid for a gallon of gas going back to at least 19 February 2007. Without my Kroger points, the price would have been $1.89/gallon which would be the lowest since 13 March 2009.

(We rarely ever use our Kroger points since they don't really have a station convenient to our house)
How many Kroger Fuel points do you get in a month. Do you take the surveys? I typically average about 40 cents to 60 cents a month, taking about 3-4 surveys a month which can ad 150-200 points. When they do the double fuel point rewards in the summer I usually get more.

What I don't like is that they don't allow you to rollover points anymore. They used to let you combine two months into one, so I could get up to $1.00 off a gallon, but they eliminated that last year.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
$2.30 / gallon (61 cents / Eurogallön) for 87 octane around here. 20 cents / gallon more at stations close to CU and IC.

Seeing more Teslas on the roads, even though the nearest dealer is about a four hour drive away.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
How many Kroger Fuel points do you get in a month. Do you take the surveys? I typically average about 40 cents to 60 cents a month, taking about 3-4 surveys a month which can ad 150-200 points. When they do the double fuel point rewards in the summer I usually get more.

What I don't like is that they don't allow you to rollover points anymore. They used to let you combine two months into one, so I could get up to $1.00 off a gallon, but they eliminated that last year.

We never take the surveys and I have no idea how many points we earn a month. For some reason, I seem to recall reading/hearing somewhere that 70¢ off is the most you can now get no matter how many points you happen to have at any given time but that you can still double the amount off on Thursdays or something like that.

I should probably sit down and figure out exactly how the points work so that we can make better use of them.

Seeing more Teslas on the roads, even though the nearest dealer is about a four hour drive away.
I see a ton of Teslas on the road in my Metro Detroit neighborhood and there is no dealership in Michigan. I think we have a "showroom" at the fancy mall but you need to go to Cleveland to pick up your car. The parents of my daughter's best friend seem to get a fancy new car every 6 months or so and back around the start of the school year they got a Tesla Model S and an Alfa Romeo Stelvio. I was curious about the two so the dad took me for a spin in them. I think the Model S is pretty darn ugly (but they are growing on me) but it was really nice on the inside and super comfortable and the acceleration blew me away.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
$2.24 with .03 cents saved via membership points.

I drive a hybrid, so this tank will last 2 weeks or more.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
$2.02 at Sam's yesterday in SC. Can't remember the last time I paid that low without serious rewards points.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Down to $2.29 here, after falling steadily from $2.59 about two weeks ago. Gas prices are the one commodity that isn't a relative bargain here in the 'Ville.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
$1.98 on Sunday in the town north of me.

I was surprised. After reward points, my usual place would have been $2.09.

VINO-El JEFE

So, how much is gas where you are? I noticed yesterday that prices here were going up. I passed the station I use the most, and regular was priced 1.59. I went back an hour later to fill the tank, and it was 1.63. A station down the road was still pricing regular 1.59, so I filled up before it went up there, too.

Last week, I paid 1.55.
3.69 a gallon. Though we always stay above 3.00 mark due to our location. Remote area called Big Bend National Park

• Wow
Reactions: Dan

TOFB

Cyburbian
Don't know. Drive a hybrid now and live a mile and a half from work and its irrelevant. Will be biking to work (hopefully) in a month.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Just paid US$2.65 / gallon (US$0.70 / Éürôgãłłøñ) to fill up at a Citgo here in the People's Republic of Gorges. ITH and BUF traditionally have the highest gas prices in upstate New York.

I park outside (my wife's car and my tools fill the garage), so there isn't a Tesla on the horizon.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Not gas-price related, but ... it's getting hard to find a gas station where the pumps don't play annoying ads, blasted over tinny speakers, which can't be muted. (Yes, I tried the second-button-from-the-top-on-the-right trick, and everything else. Doesn't work.) There's a ban on "music, advertising, news, or regular announcements outdoors; or use gas pump advertising systems with sound" in the FBC I've been working on. I wonder if anybody really likes Gas Station TV. Annoying commercials supposedly work, but would a commercial with grinding metal noises and EAS tones drive consumers to buy, buy, buy? If not, why would Gas Station TV be any different?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
There's a ban on "music, advertising, news, or regular announcements outdoors; or use gas pump advertising systems with sound" in the FBC I've been working on.
And you chose to get to enforce this?

Have fun.

As for gas prices - I don't even pay attention. It's pointless.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Not gas-price related, but ... it's getting hard to find a gas station where the pumps don't play annoying ads, blasted over tinny speakers, which can't be muted. (Yes, I tried the second-button-from-the-top-on-the-right trick, and everything else. Doesn't work.) There's a ban on "music, advertising, news, or regular announcements outdoors; or use gas pump advertising systems with sound" in the FBC I've been working on. I wonder if anybody really likes Gas Station TV. Annoying commercials supposedly work, but would a commercial with grinding metal noises and EAS tones drive consumers to buy, buy, buy? If not, why would Gas Station TV be any different?
The gas station I go to just installed them in the past month or two. It's incredibly annoying.

estromberg

Cyburbian
I paid $2.899 this morning on my way into work. It was a station in a small town, so probably 5 cents or so higher than if I was at home or where i work, but I would be getting into work nearly on fumes and you DON'T run a diesel out of fuel. It's been around $2.80/gal for months. Regular gas around here is down around $2.30. Diesel ALWAYS stays up near $3. That being said, I bought my Jetta TDI for the MPG and averaging 39 mpg vs. 13 mpg in my Tundra if I'm lucky is just fine.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
And you chose to get to enforce this?
The code only allows one gas station in a TND neighborhood unit. TND projects might take decades to build out, given our rate of growth. It's not like we'll have Charlotte-style instant new urbanism, with tons of new gas stations opening in a matter of years.

If we had the attitude of "who's going to enforce this?" for everything, we all might as well never make another amendment to any of our land use laws. Hell, let's just all adopt Filipino zoning codes and call it the day.

manila_billboards.jpg

When we think about "pollution", we shouldn't just think about air and water. There's visual, light, and sound pollution too, and a typical gas station is the poster child. A gas station in a denser mixed use neighborhood blasting out a cacophony of GSTV over tinny speakers would not be a good neighbor. It's the kind of nuisance that could undermine our efforts to offer an alternative to vehicle-dependent large lot development, and provide missing middle housing.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
The code only allows one gas station in a TND neighborhood unit. TND projects might take decades to build out, given our rate of growth. It's not like we'll have Charlotte-style instant new urbanism, with tons of new gas stations opening in a matter of years.

If we had the attitude of "who's going to enforce this?" for everything, we all might as well never make another amendment to any of our land use laws. Hell, let's just all adopt Filipino zoning codes and call it the day.

When we think about "pollution", we shouldn't just think about air and water. There's visual, light, and sound pollution too, and a typical gas station is the poster child. A gas station in a denser mixed use neighborhood blasting out a cacophony of GSTV over tinny speakers would not be a good neighbor. It's the kind of nuisance that could undermine our efforts to offer an alternative to vehicle-dependent large lot development, and provide missing middle housing.
Well, I think that's a bit hyperbolic.

I've been doing or managing proactive code enforcement and thinking about this for like 30 hours per week for the last 17 years and I believe this type of regulation is personal projection at best and a large waste of employee time at worst. Worrying about the actual enforcement is half the point of creating a specific regulation anyways.

Yes, the spectrum of a 'pollution' is a valid exercise of police powers, but I have directly experienced this new phenomenon and I agree they are annoying...to me...alone... at the pump. I cannot accept, at this time, that there is any valid reason to regulate these on the ground as it will not have any actual or perceived external impact on adjacent properties or the general vicinity. I don't see any reasonable nexus for needing government regulation. The reality is that any modern gas station/C-store is going to need at least 1/2 acre of land and these pump TV speakers will not be able to be readily heard off site. These tinny speaker TVs are the least of any worries in the context of the external impact of a gas station/C-store use on close by residential uses.

This is almost the exact same issue I had to deal with at my first planning job. The sign code had very specific standards for all the small attached signed that proliferate at gas pumps. I had to go around and enforce these very specific standards for things that are never readily visible from outside the property on the various gas stations in the community and it was a gigantic pain, completely unnecessary and likely just the result of a 'loudest' voice that personally didn't like them and then got into the Law.

But if the regulation is limited to only new gas stations in only the TND developments/code districts, then it should be less of an enforcement issue if you really drill down that deep on your Site Plan review process.

Last edited: