• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

The NEVERENDING Gas Price Thread

Jess

Cyburbian
Expect more increase in the coming days. The troubles in Nigeria about oil refineries will affect the price of the global market. Oil prices here also increased just this morning.:-@

Planit

Cyburbian
It has jumped 25 cents in the last week.:-{

I found it for $2.98 at 5:45 this morning, and I felt just plain lucky at the Petro Express (thanks Hugo Chavez:-(), they usually do their price adjustments about lunchtime. Otherwise, I've seen it in the $3.20 to $3.40 range at all others.

the "cheap" place has it as $2.99.

my BF mentioned seeing that people in Chicago were holding protests at various gas stations. anyone know anything about that? think it will help matters?

It is around $3.49 here around here. :-@

Sad part is it is so high because refineries are shutting down to change the blends from winter production to summer production, and the EPA will not permit any new oil refineries from being constructed in the US. :-c

As if that is not bad enough, many people are blaming oil companies saying that they are too greedy with record profits, but turns out that per gallon, you pay more to the state and federal governments in the form of Taxes, (Which are used to construct more roads) than you pay for oil company profits. :-{

It would be great if the Governments would start spending more money on public transportation, light and commuter rail, and progressively less on roads. That way we will not need to rely on oil as much! :h:

martini

Cyburbian
I think its around $3.25 here. I just haven't had to fill up recently. Which, at this point, I'm really liking! Kinda a bummer for you folks that have to drive.:-c

As if that is not bad enough, many people are blaming oil companies saying that they are too greedy with record profits, but turns out that per gallon, you pay more to the state and federal governments in the form of Taxes, (Which are used to construct more roads) than you pay for oil company profits. :-{

It would be great if the Governments would start spending more money on public transportation, light and commuter rail, and progressively less on roads. That way we will not need to rely on oil as much! :h:

Sorry Charlie, taxes on the road are charges on a per gallon charge. While the state sales taxes increase, all of that goes into general govt. With prices up, folks buy less gas; contributing to the crappy state of Michigan's budget.

Funding for both transit and roads are both tied to the federal and state gas taxes, if folks drive less; that means less money to operate transit with and to maintain the crappy roads. While I agree with you fundementally, we need some sort of fix to how folks are charged for their use of the road system. With hybrids becoming more commonplace and the addition of new technologies, this is bound to get worse before it gets better.

It is around $3.49 here around here. :-@

Sad part is it is so high because refineries are shutting down to change the blends from winter production to summer production, and the EPA will not permit any new oil refineries from being constructed in the US. :-c
Actually an oil refinery is about ready to be built near Yuma, AZ. A judge issued an injunction on construction due to the tribal sensativiy of the land in question.

Although no new refineries have been built in 30 years, most refineries have expanded. The problem is they are such a NIMBY industry. The above mentioned refinery has been on the drawing board for over a decade and is still 5 years away or more.

Gedunker

Mod
Average in metro Louisville is $3.35/gal for regular unleaded. Some prognosticators are calling for $4.00/gal this weekend. 8-!

Bubba

Cyburbian
Filled up for $2.99 Friday afternoon. Prices today at lunch were in the $3.05 to $3.15 range.

LadyBuc

Cyburbian
Today was a first: the "Racetrack" station here in Sanford, Central Florida, has always managed to stay below $3, even after the hurricanes. This morning, however, I drove by and seen they had $3.01 posted for regular. :-c

Unfortunately we have a roadtrip planned this weekend. Going to New Orleans to visit my aunt. Bad timing...:-(

jmello

Cyburbian
I can't do anything about it, except drive less, which I already do. Complaining about it is getting really old to me.

It is no coincidence that prices shoot up right before a holiday weekend. The same thing happens with bus, train and plane tickets. We have a five-hour drive coming up on Saturday and a return trip on Monday. We will spend about $100 round trip. It is still cheaper than any other mode would be for two people and tons of gear.

CJC

Cyburbian
I can't do anything about it, except drive less, which I already do. Complaining about it is getting really old to me.

It is no coincidence that prices shoot up right before a holiday weekend. The same thing happens with bus, train and plane tickets. We have a five-hour drive coming up on Saturday and a return trip on Monday. We will spend about $100 round trip. It is still cheaper than any other mode would be for two people and tons of gear.

Sorry, sticking to my usual tack, I have to be the guy who points out that you're only talking about gas costs there. If you were to tack on all of your sunk costs, as well as the added depreciation and maintenance costs from driving the car this weekend, your cost would be significantly more. As much as other modes? No, probably not. I just know from my personal experience of owning a car, then deciding to sell it and go car-free and use car-sharing at times, then rent cars for trips like yours this weekend - the total expense is not nearly as "cheap" as you think.

In the field (in the County car) this morning, the lowest price I saw was $3.05.9 at two stations. The place I usually fill up was up to $3.15.9.

The One

Cyburbian
Ouch!

The national radio guy this morning was interviewing some sucker in NEEDLES California this morning.....the guy paid $4.28 a gallon....he got one gallon, just enough to get him to Arizona, where it's almost a dollar less!

natski

Cyburbian
Now let me put this all in perspective...

Ok lets use some maths.....

1 US Gallon= 4.4 (or so) Litres
4.4 Litres x AU$1.30= $5.72 for an average gallon of petrol in Sydney.

AU $5.72=US4.70

Hmm you guys are getting gas for say... $3 or so?

Quit complaining!!!!!

First of all, I thought this was a new post, so when i read the first page, and saw the gas prices under 2 dollars, I was stunned

then I saw the posts were 3 years old.

Since then, I think the prices have nearly doubled. Here in Chicagoland it's around 3.50 a gallon. I don't pay too much attention to it though. Even though I have a car, my job, my home, my car mechanic, a small grocery store, three doctors, 2 gyms, and a college are within half a block of a bike trail, which I also use for exercising. My home is 1.1 miles from work along the bike path. I drive a compact with decent miles to the gallon, and I can stretch out a tank of gas for 2-3 weeks if I really need to.

Wish others had it as good as I do. ;-)