• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Places The Neverending Necochea, Argentina Discussion Thread

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

So what do you like or dislike about Necochea, Argentina? I imagine quite a few of us have travelled there, either while on family vacation, or attending a work-related conference, or possibly doing missionary work.

Let's talk about Necochea!

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I always stop by to have myself debugged and to freshen my rodenticide at the Control De Plagas there when I'm in town.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Towns in Argentina and Chile seem both oddly familiar and foreign at the same time.

Grids with square blocks work fine in downtowns, but not so much in less dense residential areas. Small square blocks have too much street coverage, and large blocks end up having lots that are too deep.

A classic Argentinian Ford Falcon. You probably didn't want to see one of these parked in front of your house in the 1980s.

There's a violation.

Nice parking job.

Another Falcon.

Premature subdivision?

The only railroad line in and out of town has seen better days.

Why do cities in Latin America have so many pharmacies?

Orange roofs seem like an indicator of wealthier neighborhoods.

That's awkward.

A pedestrian-friendly Chevrolet dealer?

Seriously?

Where's the trees? A lot of streets have no sidewalks, so no tree lawns. Despite the deep lots, there's high building coverage.

Some areas do strange things with Streetview. Click forward, and the view moves backward.

Last edited:

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
I personally, LOVE Necochea. They tell me the architectural influences are Welsh, though I have to confess I have no idea what that means. The bridge of the Que Quen River is beautiful. My tour of that area would go something like this....."See that bridge? I threw up so much undigested meat over that bridge one night in November, 1990. I had never been to an "Asado" (Argie-Barbecue), and I was the biggest person they'd ever seen in real life so they just kept feeding me......if organ failure hadn't been a real concern it would be kinda funny....."

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A few more.

Calle de Michigan

The doorbell plays Deutschland Uber Alles.

Take away the fences in some of the houses, and the weird German/Argentinian mashup architecture, and this neighborhood in Bahia Blanca looks surprisingly North American. Curvilinear streets with curbs, tree lawns, sidewalks (that are missing street crossing stubs at intersections!), and houses with front lawns. There's a lot more American-style development in Chile, though. These new-ish subdivisions with German-style houses are everywhere in Chilean suburbs. Streetscapes like this and this aren't uncommon in Uruguay.

You know, there's zero American-style suburban commercial development in the town. Googledrive through cities in Africa -- even outside South Africa and the north side of Harare -- and you'll still see strip plazas and power centers. I'm struggling to even find a McDonald's in Argentina.

DVD

Cyburbian
I've always said paving roads is a waste of taxpayer dollars and this place proves that.

When you ^zoom in^ and face them directly, you see that
they are 3 separate buildings that are touching each other:

Building #1=> Balconies on either side are painted dark red; middle face painted yellowish-white.
Building #2=> Balcony "cement blocks" on either side are painted white and in somewhat disrepair; middle face painted beige.
Building #3=> Gray vertical lines. (Maybe the newest of the three...?)

There was an attempt to make them look like one building with one sidewalk that appears to have a continuous ground floor of doors and windows.
But you see that the floors of apartments in the 3 buildings, even at the lower levels, are misaligned. As you scroll upwards toward the roofs, you see that the apt. floors become increasingly misaligned.

The cement, mortar, and whatever else keeps Buildings #1 & #2 together is jagged & uneven; a renovation to keep the two buildings solidly together will be required some time in the foreseeable future.

The way Buildings #2 & #3 are kept together is just a bit scary. It looks like whatever the builders initially used to hook 'em together did not work out completely; did they have to reinforce the connection with another vertical gray slab? (If so, was it made with premium-grade steel?)

If anybody disagrees with or wishes to clarify what I wrote, feel free to do so; it's become obvious to me that I need a new pair of reading glasses.:oops:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of our good friends grew up a little south of Porte Allegro in Brazil but you can see on the map it's not that far from these borders. He said they used to go camping and vacationing in Uruguay and Argentina. There are massive German neighborhoods in all of these towns so that European house is not unusual.

His Dad is of Italian descent and his Mom came from inland Brazil, so Brasilia reale as she says (she's amazing actually, like Charo, and I am not kidding, she parties harder than any of us.) It's pretty fascinating how international these areas way down there in South America are - most people are blend of parts of Europe and even Japan.

The largest Japanese population outside of Japan is also in southern Brazil and along this coast - crazy - there were many families escaping pre-WWII Japan

We plan to get down there with them hopefully once we can travel again (couple years? ugh)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
his Mom came from inland Brazil, so Brasilia reale as she says (she's amazing actually, like Charo, and I am not kidding, she parties harder than any of us.)
Wait a minute, did LP just throw in a Charo reference? Why, yes. Yes, it appears she did.
1597327598368.png

DVD

Cyburbian
I have no problem with a Charo reference once in a while and yes the Brazillians and from experience Turks can party hard.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
If I could make a Charo reference every day I would
You can do it! Just need to work at it a little.

There is a squealing sound my car is making every time I start it. Hey, if it were Charo's car, do you think she'd check the belts first?
1597330605569.png 1597330645634.png