• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

The NEVERENDING Odd News Thread

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Bubba

Cyburbian
[video=youtube;rPfZq7Qt6Z0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPfZq7Qt6Z0[/video]

Michele Zone

BANNED
U.S. Man Gets 17 Years in Prison for Traveling to Dominican Republic to Prey on Girls

I don't know whether to be encouraged that they pursued this in the US or horrified that he did this at all.

I guess I can be both.

Am I right that it's odd that it got pursued? I mean with all the he said, she said stories out there, it seems unusual to me that this actually resulted in jail time, especially in the US when the crux of it happened elsewhere.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Naked Florida man starts house fire while baking cookies on George Foreman grill
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/local/naked-florida-man-starts-house-fire-while-baking-cookies-george-foreman-grill/KIXgYHEYp8CI1P9nETyfcN/
The man admitted to drinking two liters of vodka and smoking marijuana starting around 9 a.m. that morning.

Based on the fire department’s investigation, the man allegedly tried baking cookies on a George Foreman grill which he left unattended.

The grill and cookies caught fire, so he put dry towels on top of the grill.

Those caught fire, too, causing the fire to spread.

Michele Zone

BANNED

This is giving me flashbacks to denied claims from when I worked in insurance.

Doing crazy dangerous stuff, like mountain climbing and packing shotgun shells by hand or driving cross state without a driver's license, while insanely high or drunk tends to have bad outcomes and your accident policy will not help pay for it.

Some of the stories are so bizarre, it's potentially good fodder for black humor. But I can't quite bring myself to go there because these were typically life-ruining events.

Michele Zone

BANNED
I saw that the other day and thought it was pretty cool.
It is really cool because he relocates the bees. While everyone else is bellyaching about the end of the world -- and the fact that bees are dying is one of the things that actually concerns me more than a lot of stuff other people fret about -- he's doing something practical about this issue and it's awesome. It's humane for the bees. It's beneficial for the humans who want them out of their homes. It does something about serious environmental issues.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

DVD

Cyburbian

AG74683

Cyburbian
So I'm not able to provide any specific links because this is a work computer, but Harris County and Houston Texas recently put a ban into place that outlaws "robot brothels".

What is a robot brothel you ask? Exactly what it sounds like. You rent out a robotic doll. They are apparently very realistic and feature heaters so, to quote directly from the business owner, "are warm and ready to play". Apparently a half hour costs $80. The robot itself can be purchased for $4,000.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Florida city commissioner resigns following complaints she licked men's faces, groped them
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-city-commissioner-resigns-following-complaints-she-licked-men-s-n968791

violated that state’s ethics code by “misusing her position by exhibiting inappropriate behavior toward city staff, according to a press release.
What a grocery list of behavior -
State Ethics Commission press release -
http://www.ethics.state.fl.us/Documents/Ethics/PressReleases/Jan2019pres.pdf?cp=201927

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
AIB local news postings on FB -

Guess how they identified the suspect. Go on, guess...
Florida woman breaks into police station, eats officer’s dinner, police say
https://wsvn.com/news/local/boynton-beach-woman-breaks-into-police-station-eats-officers-lunch/
Not every article posts a copy of the police report.
said:
"Agt Berben advised that the premade meals that were taken were his and were purchased for approximately $7 a piece."
WHaaaa!!! $7!!?? What the heck!? I refuse to pay more than $2 each for individual freezer meals!

Also... Florida.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

DVD

Cyburbian
So all the guys want to know what she looked like. You know, to determine how creepy this mayor is.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Why do people keep on shooting me?

From the article:

A 36-year-old Niagara Falls man who went to the hospital with a gunshot wound Wednesday afternoon has been there before.

Four times before.

The Woodlawn Avenue man told police he was walking down Niagara Avenue near 13th Street at about 2 p.m. when he heard a "pop" and realized he'd been shot in the leg, according to a city police report.

After he was shot, the victim contacted his cousin, who drove him to Mount St. Mary's Hospital in Lewiston, where police responded. He told police he did not see any vehicles or anyone suspicious around who may have fired the shot.

The victim told police "this is the fifth time he has been shot and does not know why," according to the report.

Police did not find any evidence of a crime scene in the 1300 block of Niagara Avenue.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Alligators, Drugs, And Theft, Oh My! New List Shows Top 10 'Florida Man' Stories

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Florida man burns pile of weed in yard

Off The Beat: Pile of burning pot plants at home attracts attention
https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/blogs/off-the-beat/2019/03/21/big-burning-marijuana-pile-attracts-attention-fellsmere/3094450002/

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Florida man attacked and killed by his cassowary, the ‘world’s most dangerous bird’
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2019/04/14/florida-man-attacked-and-killed-by-large-flightless-bird/3466698002/?fbclid=IwAR144zxurx5gtB_46Bt4c9hBQzOC9_Z0Y1p3PCcMjfMq7saQPVedtQyKvF8

The San Diego Zoo’s website calls cassowaries the world’s most dangerous bird with a 4-inch, dagger-like claw on each foot.

“The cassowary can slice open any predator or potential threat with a single swift kick. Powerful legs help the cassowary run up to 31 miles per hour through the dense forest underbrush,” the website says.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission lists cassowaries along with animals such as alligators, clouded leopards and wolverines as Class II wildlife because they can “pose a danger to people.” Owners must have a permit and “substantial experience and specific cage requirements must be met.”

Top Bottom