• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

The NEVERENDING Pet Thread

Veloise

Cyburbian
Yes, but this ended up in a little kitten! I'm not sure Dan or ZG is ready for that yet. ;):p

Surely they have puppies, or iguanas, or sugar gliders, or you-name-it that needs time out of the shelter. And mine was supposed to be temporary...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
And then there were none. Bailey got the blue shot a couple of hours ago. 27 November 1999 - 23 May 2013.

TTMAXQC.jpg

Bailey has been my constant companion since she was 12 weeks old. Guinness didn't join the pack until a couple of years later.

Bailey was very depressed over the past couple of weeks, after the the loss of Guinness. However, her appetite gradually vanished in the days following his death; it wasn't immediate, as is usually the case with a grieving dog. It was a sign of something else. She was okay at doggie day care yesterday, but when she got home, she was just a lump, and didn't even eat the chicken and rice I made for her. She had trouble standing, and was stumbling and falling a lot. I called my vet to schedule a checkup, and we went over at noon. I had to carry her in.

The prognosis: well, nothing definite, but nothing good. She wasn't responding much to visual stimuli. My vet ran a few x-rays. Could be the spleen, and it might be something easily fixed, or not. Could be cancer around her heart. Could be other things the vet explained to me. There was likely internal bleeding, which she probably had for some time, explaining the lethargy. So many forks down the road, few leading to good destinations. To find out would have required some invasive surgery on her 13 1/2 year body. I could take her home, but there's the chance she could "bleed out", and die alone while I'm at work. She wasn't eating, and she pooped in front of her water bowl earlier today; something a dog will never do. In any case, whatever she had, she probably had it for a while. There didn't seem like a happy ending, so I figured the two previous weeks of near-constant attention were better than what probably lies ahead.

I'm in a state of shock right now. Don't know what to think. I'm back at work, because I don't know what else to do.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Dan, I am so sorry. Both of ours went in a short period of time but not that quickly. I know it's too soon but get another one, you won't regret it.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I'm so sorry Dan, they both look like they were very sweet, adorable dogs. It's always hard to lose a furry family member, but especially so when they were all yours and were with you for so long. :( My sincere sympathies.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
So sorry for your loss Dan. Sometimes doing the right thing is the hardest thing. That's what makes you a great doggie daddy.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I have tears in my eyes, Dan. To lose both furry family members so close to each other is terribly sad.

It's been a rough time for you. Take as much time as you need to grieve.

R.I.P. Guinness and Bailey :'(

Dan,
I just read through this thread; it had dropped so far down the FAC queue!
My condolences on the loss of your two wonderful, long-time animal companions.... just a few weeks apart... what bad luck.:(
If there's anything I can do long-distance, please don't hesitate to email me, or even phone me.
I am always awake for "that 3am phone call," but I'm almost sure that you won't need to make it.
Maybe the future holds another awesome dog... maybe even two...
Hoping for the very best. You deserve it.
Your friend,
Seana

Salmissra

Cyburbian
We have an appointment in about an hour to take my little girl in for her last vet appointment. In the last 6 months she's lost 5 pounds, becomes easily distracted and confused, and turns her nose up at all her old favorites. At her annual exam, the vet found kidney problems. So now she's suffering from heart, lung and kidney issues, none of which have a cure, and she's 15 years old.

She's had a good life since she rescued me 13 years ago. I know taking her in before she starts feeling pain, or has an accident because of her dimished motor skills, is better than waiting for her to be hurt. But dammit, it's hard to say goodbye.

Our boy dog is not young either. But he's healthy so far, showing only signs of old age - he's slowed done some and sleeps a bit more. I don't know how he's going to take her loss. I know I'm going to be crying all day. Hubby too.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
We have an appointment in about an hour to take my little girl in for her last vet appointment. In the last 6 months she's lost 5 pounds, becomes easily distracted and confused, and turns her nose up at all her old favorites. At her annual exam, the vet found kidney problems. So now she's suffering from heart, lung and kidney issues, none of which have a cure, and she's 15 years old.

She's had a good life since she rescued me 13 years ago. I know taking her in before she starts feeling pain, or has an accident because of her dimished motor skills, is better than waiting for her to be hurt. But dammit, it's hard to say goodbye.

Our boy dog is not young either. But he's healthy so far, showing only signs of old age - he's slowed done some and sleeps a bit more. I don't know how he's going to take her loss. I know I'm going to be crying all day. Hubby too.

I'm so sorry, Salmissra...

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Sorry to hear that Salmissra but it's right thing to do when you can. I'm sure another one will be waiting for you.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Our cat is evil. But I like him that way.

We've had T-Joe for about six years. We got him as a kitten for my son. The kitten seemed like a nice fellow but he grew up to be fiesty, irrascible and sometimes just mean. But he loves the boy. Just didn't cotton to me much. When we got him we had another cat, so T-Joe and I kept our distance. The other cat (Sitka) took the Big Sleep some time ago.

Since then T-Joe has mellowed some. He is still irrascible and plenty fiesty. But since I feed him and give him the most attention, he seems to like me in his own way. He is always the first to greet me when I come home.

He is my frenemy. My nemesis. The Joker to my Batman. I am pretty sure he likes messing with me as much as I like messing with him.

Our favorite interaction is the garage door. When I pull out of the garage and lower the garage door remotely, this is when he decides to run under the door and set off the electric eye. The door raises again and I lower it, and he runs through again, causing the door to stop and raise again. I just know he is doing it on purpose. He thinks he is so friggin funny. His personal best is doing it four times in a row. I was really tempted to get out of the car and give him a high-five. It was brilliant.

Of course I mess with him too. Touch his ear while he is sleeping, which annoys him. Or poke him in the stomach which really annoys him.

But when the magpies were dive-bombing him and running him toward a busy street, I stepped in to rescue him. No one messes with T-Joe unless it is me.

He isn't my first choice in a pet. I long for a cat who actually likes me and I can like back. But we are stuck with each other. I am okay with that.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We've had T-Joe for about six years. We got him as a kitten for my son. The kitten seemed like a nice fellow but he grew up to be fiesty, irrascible and sometimes just mean. But he loves the boy. Just didn't cotton to me much. When we got him we had another cat, so T-Joe and I kept our distance. The other cat (Sitka) took the Big Sleep some time ago.

Since then T-Joe has mellowed some. He is still irrascible and plenty fiesty. But since I feed him and give him the most attention, he seems to like me in his own way. He is always the first to greet me when I come home.

He is my frenemy. My nemesis. The Joker to my Batman. I am pretty sure he likes messing with me as much as I like messing with him.

Our favorite interaction is the garage door. When I pull out of the garage and lower the garage door remotely, this is when he decides to run under the door and set off the electric eye. The door raises again and I lower it, and he runs through again, causing the door to stop and raise again. I just know he is doing it on purpose. He thinks he is so friggin funny. His personal best is doing it four times in a row. I was really tempted to get out of the car and give him a high-five. It was brilliant.

Of course I mess with him too. Touch his ear while he is sleeping, which annoys him. Or poke him in the stomach which really annoys him.

But when the magpies were dive-bombing him and running him toward a busy street, I stepped in to rescue him. No one messes with T-Joe unless it is me.

He isn't my first choice in a pet. I long for a cat who actually likes me and I can like back. But we are stuck with each other. I am okay with that.

Aptly describes The Man's relationship with Captain. The Man is not a cat person and refers to Captain as the traitorous asshole because during the day when he needs a rub or some attention he'll bother The Man til he gives in. The baby loves him all day long, sometimes too much but he usually goes and hides when she's being too exuberant. The minute Captain hears either me or RT put the key in the door he's right there and proceeds to give The Man the stink eye or tail for the rest of the evening.

wahday

Cyburbian
I think you are onto something Hink. My cat is fully in the T-Joe camp. Black Kitty (yes, a 4 year old named him) goes by many monikers, not the least of which is the well-earned Black Sh!tty.

We moved recently which has given ample opportunity for him to express his dissatisfaction with the entire affair. Tomorrow we are adopting a second dog which I am sure will go over famously. Better pick you clothes off the floor, bed, or any other location he can reach cause he's got a bladder full of vengeance piss and he's not afraid to use it!

My main service seems to be to allow him to sleep next to me (but never on me - he won't even lay in anyone's lap) and, at his bidding, be awakened by the ritual biting of my face. The all-important purpose for my attention at such early hours as 2, 3 or 4am? To get up and "fluff" his food, followed by avid butt scratching so he can gorge himself and then leave a tasty treat for the dog in the litter box. Good times. Glad I could be there for you buddy...

Cats are freaks (and I love cats) but there is this essential quality I have noticed. Every cat I have known has some weird peculiarities and they are often not the same for any two of them. And yet, something about them is so undeniably cat-like. My next one will be named Enigma.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I long for a cat who actually likes me and I can like back.

This is called a dog.

Back when I only had two dogs, the ex had a cat. We did not get along. I have the scrathces to prove it. The older dog had a long-running fued with the cat. I would bring her a treat when she would lay in a hallway to prevent the cat from passing. At other times we would team up, with me standing on one side of the table while the dog circled around from the other side (she had a great herding instinct). But I did have to draw a line somewhere. Times when she wne to far I would lay down beside her and scold her: " Did my baby girl take a bite out of the cat? You want to be a good girl, right?" All while rubbing her ears while removing cat hair from her mouth. I think she got the message.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want to get a second cat but The Man has declared he is quitting/running away if we bring another one home. He wants a dog. If he gets one, I am getting another cat ;)

Veloise

Cyburbian
Helping out at the shelter

Our fearless leader has been getting a critter fix by volunteering at his local animal shelter. Overwhelming cuteness pics on FB; check 'em out! (I started "replying" with typing-impaired comments such as "Danz, I wubs you.")

Eagerly awaiting the next installment, since this is a weekend event.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Our fearless leader has been getting a critter fix by volunteering at his local animal shelter. Overwhelming cuteness pics on FB; check 'em out! (I started "replying" with typing-impaired comments such as "Danz, I wubs you.")

Eagerly awaiting the next installment, since this is a weekend event.

I noticed that. How long do you think it will be until an adoption occurs? After rescuing on my own last year, I foster for the Humane Society now, mostly taking in puppies and dogs who are sick and in need of extra attention. Most volunters eventually find that one dog they just can't let go.

Planit

Cyburbian
Bob is dead. Long live Bob.

Our office cat passed away overnight. He was the stray that lived in the woods behind the office and he came up to see us everyday. There were some cold winter mornings where we let him in and he curled up on the floor to sleep & get warm. He was a friend to most in the building. Sorry to see that little grey & white cat gone.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My 9 y.o. cat has arthritis in both elbows. The vet said that's awfully young, but she probably has some genetic background predisposing her towards it. I hate seeing her limping around. Hopefully the shots she got today will help.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
And now we are dogless

Our boy dog passed away this morning. He had been declining for a while, and his kidney issues weren't helping. However, he still wanted to snuggle with us and have us spoil him with treaties, so we thought he had some more time.

However, early this morning Hubby wakes me up because "there's something wrong with the dog". About a half-hour later the dog breathed his last. We wrapped him up in a blanket and took him to the clinic for cremation. We are both very down today, but I freely admit that this one has not hit me as hard as last fall with my girl dog:w:. Partly because he was much more Hubby's dog, but also because I was better prepared for the end.

It will be a quiet day in the Salmissra household today.:x:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm very sorry, Sal. It is never easy to lose a loved one, though I know what you mean about being better prepared for it.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
I think I have the dumbest cats in the world. Apparently some cats that can jump pretty high to get up on a table or a counter (well, at least the ones that don't weigh 15 lbs when they ought to weigh 10!), can't figure out that they could jump up to the top rail of a chain link fence and then drop down on the other side. In fact, if I didn't have a few "cat gates" where my cats can wiggle under the fence, I don't think they could get out of my yard!

This isn't universal stupidity since I've had other cats that did figure out how to jump up to the top rail of the fence and then down the other side. My cats also know how to climb trees, although they've never had the need to go very high. It might be endemic to Jamestown cats, however, since the ones I had that did jump fences came with me from Albany.

It's just pretty funny that I can effectively keep them in/out of rooms by simply putting up a portable fireplace screen or baby gate across a doorway! I've had a harder time confining my dogs than these cats.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I have the dumbest cats in the world. Apparently some cats that can jump pretty high to get up on a table or a counter (well, at least the ones that don't weigh 15 lbs when they ought to weigh 10!), can't figure out that they could jump up to the top rail of a chain link fence and then drop down on the other side. In fact, if I didn't have a few "cat gates" where my cats can wiggle under the fence, I don't think they could get out of my yard!

This isn't universal stupidity since I've had other cats that did figure out how to jump up to the top rail of the fence and then down the other side. My cats also know how to climb trees, although they've never had the need to go very high. It might be endemic to Jamestown cats, however, since the ones I had that did jump fences came with me from Albany.

It's just pretty funny that I can effectively keep them in/out of rooms by simply putting up a portable fireplace screen or baby gate across a doorway! I've had a harder time confining my dogs than these cats.

My big boy is not a jumper. Just doesn't have it in him. He's content to jump just far enough to get up on the couch or the bed. The kitten we just adopted last week is a climber, she loves perching on top of the couch, the back of the dining room chairs, the dining room table, etc.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
I have finally figured out how to get the right links to download photos from Flickr, so you are in for a pet photo album!

Here's my standard poodle, Tucker, with his "snow 'stache" from the winter ...
14518068017_8cbbffe0b0.jpg

... and Tuck pretending to be a hunting dog this past spring. 14691686534_aa1498773a.jpg

Here are the "Ink Spots", Slinky Jack and his sister, Snarf, the two absolutely all black, not a white hair anywhere, kittens that I rescued this spring. Snarf has the distinction of being very well-equipped for climbing as she has 2 extra toes on each front and at least 1 extra on each rear.

14507670797_a3c8922183_z.jpg

Sheba, aka "Chub", the Queen of the "Witch Sisters" with her "We are NOT amused" look.

8452191584_c10b573b06_z.jpg

Then there's Skittles who looks like a princess but is simply a barn cat at heart: 8452187236_38d4e8a6a0_z.jpg

The shyest of the Witch Sisters is Sadie Jane, the only one who seems to have accepted the Ink Spots ... or just enjoys chasing them. I'm not sure which it is as with cats, you never quite know if they're playing or serious.

8452194502_be7f0a919f_z.jpg

Finally, here's Tuck and Skittles wreaking havoc on the vole population of Jamestown. Skittles catches them, and the Mighty Mouse Murderer Tucker finishes them off! If you look carefully, you can see the mouse just below Tuck's nose.

14704510405_93d392c3a4_z.jpg

wahday

Cyburbian
Our yellow lab, after a couple good days on Friday and Saturday decided to try out my newly installed measures to prevent her from sacaling the fence. Yesterday I cut pvc pipe down the middle and installed them on the fence rails where she was climbing out. The half circles provided by the pipe (as well as the smooth surface) "shouldn't" allow a smart climbing dog the foothold that a normal fence rail would.
So we had dinner with our neighbors and decided to head to the park down the street to practice a little softball at dusk. Lo and behold who comes trotting down the street (after taking a leak in the neighbor's yard) but Kaslo, the smart and troublesome yellow lab of the house. :-@

Scaled the fence despite my "corrective measures" easily and wanted to come down and see what was happening with us. :-o:-|

I was pissed. Now, we'll try some chicken wire along the top (bent back into the yard of course) and I might finish the fence with pickets on the inside so that NO foothold is provided.

This is my life! We have a young and fairly new to us dog who is so full of exuberance that anyone walking along with a dog or by themselves is reason to do anything in her power to scale the fence and go say hi. Heck, even the thought that someone MIGHT be out there somewhere is enough. I have spent the last 4 months trying to secure the entire fence but she keeps finding new ways to escape and go socialize. I have considered the electric fence but the challenge is we have 1/2 acre and that's not cheap. About half the fence is high quality and high enough to prevent her escape. When we return from vacation, I plan to call a fencing guy and tell him to make the rest of the property dog-proof. We'll see where that gets us.

Ellie is EXTREMELY sociable so when she does get out, we usually get a call within 10 minutes from someone having found her. Typical statements are "we just opened out car door and she hopped right in!" or "I had the front door open and she walked right into the house to say hi to our dogs." We are new to this neighborhood, so the upshot is we have met a lot of neighbors. Apparently this is pretty typical of pit bull and pit mixes (which she is). One profile even said they make terrible watch dogs because "they are so exceedingly friendly, even to strangers." Urp.

Linda_D

Cyburbian
Thanks for sharing. The ink spots are cute.

Nice pet family photos, Linda_D!

Thank you both.

This is my life! We have a young and fairly new to us dog who is so full of exuberance that anyone walking along with a dog or by themselves is reason to do anything in her power to scale the fence and go say hi. Heck, even the thought that someone MIGHT be out there somewhere is enough. I have spent the last 4 months trying to secure the entire fence but she keeps finding new ways to escape and go socialize. I have considered the electric fence but the challenge is we have 1/2 acre and that's not cheap. About half the fence is high quality and high enough to prevent her escape. When we return from vacation, I plan to call a fencing guy and tell him to make the rest of the property dog-proof. We'll see where that gets us.

Ellie is EXTREMELY sociable so when she does get out, we usually get a call within 10 minutes from someone having found her. Typical statements are "we just opened out car door and she hopped right in!" or "I had the front door open and she walked right into the house to say hi to our dogs." We are new to this neighborhood, so the upshot is we have met a lot of neighbors. Apparently this is pretty typical of pit bull and pit mixes (which she is). One profile even said they make terrible watch dogs because "they are so exceedingly friendly, even to strangers." Urp.

I've personally found this to be very true of Pits and Pit-mixes, too. Two other breeds that have bad reps that tend to actually be nice dogs when they're raised with proper socialization are Dobermans and Rottweilers . These breeds all got bad reps because they became popular with asshats who used them for fighting, didn't socialize them, and/or kept them unneutered and isolated. Any dog regardless of breed will turn mean if treated like that.

If you have a dog park nearby, taking her there regularly to "meet and greet" other dogs may help curb her desire to go visiting on her own.

wahday

Cyburbian
If you have a dog park nearby, taking her there regularly to "meet and greet" other dogs may help curb her desire to go visiting on her own.

We go to the dog park daily, believe it or not. Last week she went twice in one day and upon getting back in the evening took herself out for another round of visiting. Got "the call" from one of her regular spots.

She is only a little over 1 so still has tons of energy.

I had a Rottweiler mix years ago and my brother had a Doberman. Both were exceedingly sweet dogs. This is our first Pit Bull mix but she is the cuddliest dig I have ever owned.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Shadow is my escape artist. He has such a hard time remaining inside the fence, especially if there are small, tasty animals around. When he gets out he usually takes off running. In fifteen minutes he will most likely turn back and come home, full of remorse (or at least acting like it), but he does not respond well when I try to call him before he is ready.

Emma will also escape, but she only goes under the fence, and that is pretty much impossible now. Luke is the one I can trust off leash just about anywhere. He has never let himself get very far from me, and if I hide from him when we are out walking he will come looking for me. A couple weeks ago I thought he was running away with Emma when she took off across a couple yards, but then he turned her and brought her back home! That would be the border collie in him.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I've been enjoying the summer without a dog. We were so stressed over the two old dogs with issues that it's taken a while to decompress and adjust to the new dogless state.

However, Hubby started sending me pics of available dogs and wants to get another one. Sooner rather than later. I'm not ready. And I know that with our schedules, I'll be the one stuck training and taking care of the new pet. I'm going to have to either put my foot down and say no new dogs yet, or force him to share in the upkeep.

Option 1 will be easier in the long run.